Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 07:49:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The WTF Podcast With Marc Maron

Started by TIAL, May 17, 2010, 11:33:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Famous Mortimer

As is the Dane Cook one.

I think there's a reason he's now interviewing his former peers who have gone on to bigger and better things - he isn't a top-level standup. But this suits him.

kidsick5000

the moodswing in the interview with Paul Scheer is bizarre.
Scheer was nothing but affable, but when he, and with no sense of bragging of smugness explained how smooth his transition into TV was, the animosity from Maron is almost tangible.
It only gets lighter when Scheer, who's got a pretty amazing, if eye opening early homelife, started talking about how he got into fighting.

Tiny Poster

If Maron was unaware of his tendencies to do stuff like that, I'd find him completely unlikeable. But he knows what his problems are and he struggles against them, which I find compelling.

Little Hoover

If like me you got a bit bored of these and found keeping up with them all a bit too difficult, then I'd recommend listening to the latest one with Gallagher.

kidsick5000

Quote from: Little Hoover on January 31, 2011, 07:34:24 PM
If like me you got a bit bored of these and found keeping up with them all a bit too difficult, then I'd recommend listening to the latest one with Gallagher.

I was about to ask if anyone is finding these too much.
Still subscribing but I'm just keeping an eye for a name I recognise/want to listen to come up.
Feeling like I'm eavesdropping on someone's therapy session is getting pretty tired

Little Hoover

I just listen selectively now and often skip bits of it now, but this latest one is quite something.

TIAL

Just listened to the Gallagher interview/storm off. Crikey.
Not heard of him before, but I did look up some of his stuff on YouTube - seemed fairly innocent prop comedy and wordplay. It's strange that he would want to put offensive jokes within material that seems pretty child friendly. But then maybe he's just getting old and bitter. Certainly sounded it.

Famous Mortimer

He's famous mostly for selling his act to his brother (who toured as Gallagher Too!) and then suing him for it back; and for inspiring Dave Chappelle's brilliant "Black Gallagher" character (well, that last one is just for me). He has put political jokes in his act since the beginning, but they were the lamest most general ones you could think of.

There's a fairly bizarre interview with Gallagher here which is worth a read as a companion piece to the WTF interview.

benjula

also if you're into him the Henry Rollins interview a week or so back was fantastic.

vrailaine

Quote from: Kishi the Bad Lampshade on December 20, 2010, 06:03:22 PM
Jesus Christ Marc Maron is starting to really get on my tits.
Yeah, I find how he seems to think he's some uniquely neurotic being to be pretty bloody annoying, maybe if I weren't the sort of person who gets ridiculously competitive about something like that it wouldn't bother me at all though.
Does that make sense?

Basically, he's a good interviewer, but I've absolutely zero interest in him.

Tiny Poster

Quote from: benjula on February 02, 2011, 10:38:26 AM
also if you're into him the Henry Rollins interview a week or so back was fantastic.

Really? That's the only WTF I've turned off out of sheer boredom.

thugler

Quote from: benjula on February 02, 2011, 10:38:26 AM

It was okay, but as a fairly big fan, I'd heard most of it before.

Paaaaul

I fell asleep listening to the Rollins interview. And I quite like him.

Tiny Poster

Entertaining chat about the Gallagher interview (and the pitfalls of therapy) when Mark appeared on the Adam Carolla Podcast the other day. Listen to the first 20 minutes to hear Adam being a dick!

Little Hoover

Thanks for that.

Strange that the self-analysis they get into in conversation is really fascinating, at least it was to me yet the same sort of stuff as a monologue on WTF would be tedious.

Muggins

Very sad news for those that enjoyed his interview-  http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2011/03/07/12895/mike_de_stefano_dies.

I do find with WTF the interviews I enjoy the most are from comedians I know nothing about- the Stephen Tobolowsky interview had some great stories in it.

Also the Dave Foley one- though a bit self indulgent was kind of what I enjoy most about the podcasts- Maron kind of mines the raw truth out of people.

And Bobcat Goldthwaites story about Lynyrd Skynyrd was great.

Wow. 'Beats' HIV but has a heart attack. Younger than I thought.

Famous Mortimer

It's a damn shame, because I watched the entire last season of "Last Comic Standing" (god knows why, after a certain point it became a war of attrition between me and it). Even though the show eliminated most of the best people before it got to the live stage, of the people who were there, DeStefano was far and away the best of the bunch. I wasn't always wild about his shtick, but he could control a room better than any of the others (even CDR favourite James Adomian, who I thought was awful on the show).

I was annoyed he didn't win, but then I remembered this is the show that firstly, pushed Gina fucking Yashere above hundreds of other more talented comedians, and allowed Doug Benson to finish sixth in the year he competed.

Still, RIP Mike. Seemed like a nice chap.

gloria

The interview with Carl La Bove about Sam Kinison, the L.A. Comedy Store scene and Maron's own fucked up history is pretty amazing stuff.

benjula

Quote from: gloria on March 11, 2011, 12:25:47 PM
The interview with Carl La Bove about Sam Kinison, the L.A. Comedy Store scene and Maron's own fucked up history is pretty amazing stuff.

yeah, i second this, very good.

Paaaaul

He has done some great shows recently, but yesterday's with Kathleen Madigan - someone who's popularity is a mystery to me - was excrutiating.
Even people whose work I don't like are usually worth a listen on WTF, but Madigan is such an obnoxious person that I had to turn off 20 mins into the interview.

Does anyone 'get' her, or understand why others do?

hedgehog90

I've just started listening to this since reading this thread a couple days ago.

Fuck.
I'm hooked, i've listened to almost 10 hours in just over 2 days.

Louis CK one is great, Bob odenkirk is quite good... but the one I was not expecting to like, Henry Rollins - incredible.
For the last few years, listening to and learning about music has developed into an unhealthy obsession.
The whole hardcore scene in the early 80s is fascinating to me, and got me into loads of proto-punk and post punk from America. I've just checked and I've got over a hundred American hardcore albums in my iTunes (crikey)
So imagine my delight when flicking thorugh the channels to see "Henry Rollins" on a channel called Films24 or something, late at night.
I knew he did spoken word stuff, but I didn't realise he did  somthing similar or inherative of Stand Up.
I thought it was strange at first, but then I really got into it, but his extreme character and forth-right-ness always nagged me.
I got the impression he was faking it a bit.
Also, it's hard to imagine that someone approaching 50 could have that same explosive energy from the hardcore days...
Then I saw a few more of his shows (his chat show) and I very suddenly went off him (his monologues are usually cringe-worthy, mainly because of the bad attempts at humour).
Going online, I found lots of people agreeing that Henry Rollins is now "a joke".

But after listening to the great interview and discussion with Marc Maron, my faith is restored in Rollins.
He comes across as a very well educated and charming guy, even if he does sometimes sound like a macho fuck-hole (his voice I mean)

If you've ever heard of Henry Rollins, give it a listen... for little other reason than it's a great discussion.

hedgehog90

Simon Munnery this week!!!

Looking forward to listening to this :)

Paaaaul

Quote from: hedgehog90 on April 25, 2011, 07:54:57 PM
Simon Munnery this week!!!

Looking forward to listening to this :)

It's largely Greg Fleet talking about heroin, but the Munnery segment is great.

benjula

hedgehog90

Sally Wade (George Carlin's widow (can you be a widow if you weren't married?)) is being interviewed in the latest episode.
It also happens to be Carlin's 74th birthday today. What better way to celebrate?

I'm interested to hear her reasons for publishing The George Carlin Letters.
I found out about this book a week ago, and I was battling with myself if I should order it.
In the end I decided not to. I've read similar books like this, and they are unsettling to say the least. The idea of publishing someone's private letters is... well, wrong.
If proof be needed, read the Kurt Cobain Journals. You'll feel dirty and ashamed after reading that thing. Yuck. Never again.

Has anybody here read or heard of The George Carlin Letters? I'd be interested to hear someone elses opinion of it.

Anyway, can't wait to listen :)

gloria

Listening back through the archive makes me wonder - is there a single comedian in America who isn't now in therapy after a totally fucked up childhood?

And is there a single comedian in America that Maron has not said 'you're like me' or 'I'm like you' to?

kidsick5000

Quote from: gloria on May 16, 2011, 08:36:27 AM
Listening back through the archive makes me wonder - is there a single comedian in America who isn't now in therapy after a totally fucked up childhood?

It's stunning. Even Bobby Lee claims to be a functioning drug addict. I say claims because there's something about the interview where I'm not sure whether he's just making it up and seeing how long he keep it deadpan

Little Hoover

Quote from: gloria on May 16, 2011, 08:36:27 AM

Isn't that true of everyone in the entertainment industry in L.A? Certainly the therapy part anyway.

I do wonder if that fact that so many people in LA being therapy encourages them to be so self-indulgent and gives them the ability to just talk about themselves for hours and hours on end.