Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 01:23:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The WTF Podcast With Marc Maron

Started by TIAL, May 17, 2010, 11:33:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rps

Tiny Poster

I wonder why it's supposed to be such a big step, going to public radio - it already reaches a much, much broader international audience via podcast.

Little Hoover

Well there was some statistic on The Wolf's Den that only 50% of Americans have internet access. I'm not sure whether that just meant at home or whether 50% don't even claim to have any interest in it. But even so I think there's a point in there in there that the internet still isn't on everyone's radar and this is still probably going to open up it's audience.

But yeah they seem to want to see it as a huge step forward for the podcasting industry when it's regressive if anything. Plus it seems like the audience that would be interested in this aren't the people who still don't understand that internet thing.

Tiny Poster

Also, everyone reading the news about this probably already listens to WTF. Or they don't like it, and an edited public radio format isn't going to turn them on.

MC Root

Garry Shandling's on the next episode!

Paaaaul

Quote from: Tiny Poster on May 22, 2011, 01:26:05 PM
Also, everyone reading the news about this probably already listens to WTF. Or they don't like it, and an edited public radio format isn't going to turn them on.

It's the people who don't read about it, and haven't already heard it that will be the audience that they are gunning for. Lots of people in the US only listen to whatever their local NPR station feeds them, so this will hugely open up Maron's reach.

YoungAmerican

I'm producing the WTF public radio show with Marc and Nick White, so I can explain what we want to do.

Essentially, the radio audience is bajillions of times larger than the podcast audience. If we put WTF on two big stations, it will have more audience on the radio than it does on the podcast.

Only about half of adults in the US use the internet regularly. Of those, about 5-10% use podcasts.

More than 95% of people have radios. I believe the average is 7 radios per household.

So, you know, we want to share this great thing with all those people.

It's by no means exclusive of the podcast. Shouldn't affect the podcast at all, other than to bring some audience to the podcast.

vrailaine

Quote from: MC Root on May 23, 2011, 02:37:23 PM
Garry Shandling's on the next episode!
Full episode with him?

No way do 10% of people use podcasts, maybe 2-3% on a remotely regular basis.

Paaaaul

Quote from: vrailaine on May 24, 2011, 07:30:19 AM
Full episode with [Shandling]?
Yes. It's a very good episode, but does reveal a bit too much of either man's flaws.

Quote from: vrailaine on May 24, 2011, 07:30:19 AM
No way do 10% of people use podcasts, maybe 2-3% on a remotely regular basis.

He didn't say that 10% of people use podcasts.
He said "Only about half of adults in the US use the internet regularly. Of those, about 5-10% use podcasts."

vrailaine

Shandling's up then? Great, doubt it'll be as good as his one with Gervais though.

I phrased that incorrectly, meant regular internet users, hardly know anyone myself who use podcasts, asides from maybe checking out the upload of some radio show they like.

Paaaaul

Quote from: vrailaine on May 24, 2011, 08:09:40 AM
Shandling's up then? Great, doubt it'll be as good as his one with Gervais though.

I phrased that incorrectly, meant regular internet users, hardly know anyone myself who use podcasts, asides from maybe checking out the upload of some radio show they like.

It's not a million miles off from the Gervais interview in tone.

Little Hoover

Seemed to go pretty well to me, they actually bonded quite well. I think Shandling's just like that in all interviews.

Thanks for those statistics Jesse; It is easier to forget that most people still have no idea about podcasts. Especially television and radio executives I hear.

YoungAmerican

Here's a little piece in the Nieman Journalism Lab journal about WTF on public radio. I think it explains what we think the show will bring to public radio. I really care about the medium (as I do about podcasting, obviously), and I think both sides will benefit.

turnstyle

I downloaded an epsiode the other day, the Henry Rollins one. Thought I'd give it a go.

Have to say, really enjoyed it, and it's a great source of entertainment for the daily commute.

However, when I went to get a few more, it seems that a lot of them are behind a paywall? I only have interest in about 30% of the guests (a lot of them I've never heard of tbh), and I'm not sure I can justify spending money when there are so many other podcasts out there for free.

Did these all used to be free, or am I imagining things?

They did, but there are plenty of free ones. Just try out a few. And I don't know most of the names, but it's a good way to find out about new comics.

Paaaaul

Quote from: turnstyle on May 27, 2011, 08:57:38 AM
I downloaded an epsiode the other day, the Henry Rollins one. Thought I'd give it a go.

Have to say, really enjoyed it, and it's a great source of entertainment for the daily commute.

However, when I went to get a few more, it seems that a lot of them are behind a paywall? I only have interest in about 30% of the guests (a lot of them I've never heard of tbh), and I'm not sure I can justify spending money when there are so many other podcasts out there for free.

Did these all used to be free, or am I imagining things?

I think the last 50-odd are always free, but once they get older than that they go behind the paywall.

Personally I found the Rollins interview one of the dullest WTF episodes, and I quite like Rollins.
Most of the episodes are worth listening to even(especially?) if you don't know the subject - if you look back a page or two, some of us gave recommendations of good shows featuring people that the UK audience probably won't recognise. As the interviews tend to get into the psyche of the subjects, it is rarely the happy/successful/well known comedians who make the best guests.

Little Hoover

Yeah I listened to the episode as I'd heard such wildly conflicting viewpoints on it and put me down as someone who thought it was incredibly dull, although to be fair I switched off halfway through. I know I don't really care about Rollins so that can't help but even so, it just seemed very mundane.

The Garry Shandling one on Monday however was fantastic.

joelde

very awkward into bit in the dan harmon ep. ray romano basically telling marc to stop calling him....couldnt tell if it was a staged bit, basically cos it wasnt funny, but then again if it was real why would he air himself getting totally dissed.

Quote from: joelde on June 02, 2011, 10:17:25 AM
very awkward into bit in the dan harmon ep. ray romano basically telling marc to stop calling him....couldnt tell if it was a staged bit, basically cos it wasnt funny, but then again if it was real why would he air himself getting totally dissed.

They've been building to that punch-line for the last two podcasts. Each of those segments begins with him fretting over whether to call him and Romano being more wary each time and the conversation where Maron is trying to plug the show becoming increasingly strained with Maron nearly spoilering things/ confessing to showing it to his friends etc. I was expecting a more venomous pay-off to be honest rather than the slightly awkward dismissal, but that's what happens when you improvise around a fairly substandard notion merely to plug a show. I preferred it when he was just directly shilling ManGrates.

joelde

yeh the payoff was a bit tame, made it hard to tell whether it was real or staged. doesnt help that maron comes off as probably being a pretty annoying guy in real life so you could definently see something like that happening.

Paaaaul

joelde

turnstyle

Well, I've listened to a few of these now:

Robin Williams
Louis CK (both parts)
Sarah Silverman

I found a torrent with a selection of the episodes, so I think I have around 20 or so to get through.

I'm drawn to the people I know, but I'll get onto the less well known (to me at least) US comics in time.

My favourite so far was Louis CK. I don't know a great deal about him really, but when Maron prefaced the show saying that they had been friends for years, and had fallen out  etc, I knew that it was going to be an interesting listen. The bit where Louis CK was talking about his daughter being born, and cracked, really caught me off guard.

I'd like to listen to some of the UK comedian interviews, but they all seem to be behind the paywall at this point. I'll carry on with the ones I have, then decide if I want to pay for any more.

I really like Marons style, I have to say. He is very listenable.

Paaaaul

Quote from: turnstyle on June 02, 2011, 11:15:38 AM
I'd like to listen to some of the UK comedian interviews, but they all seem to be behind the paywall at this point. I'll carry on with the ones I have, then decide if I want to pay for any more.

I really like Marons style, I have to say. He is very listenable.

There was a short Simon Munnery interview tacked onto the end of one of the other interviews recently. I can't remember which one, but it's one of those recorded at Melbourne Comedy Fest. The only other UK comedian I can think of that he's interviewed is Stewart Lee and it wasn't a great one - mostly Marc telling Stew that he doesn't know anything about him over and over again.

funstuie

Glen wool was on a show but I think he has moved back to north America now (he was UK based for a long time), his interview has a lot of UK specific stuff. Also Brendan burns and jim jeffries have both been interviewed. I have a vague memory of John Oliver being interviewed right back at the start of the run.

The best interviews in my opinion is always Paton oswalt.

turnstyle

I was listening to the oscars podcast today on the way to work.

So...does Marc Maron hate British people? Or rather, he seems to not really care for British comedy.

Also in this podcast he really slagged off Gervais, so I'm sure you whores were creaming yourselves listening to it.

Anyway, still enjoying his stuff a lot.

remedial_gash

Quote from: turnstyle on June 06, 2011, 08:50:37 AM
I was listening to the oscars podcast today on the way to work.

So...does Marc Maron hate British people? Or rather, he seems to not really care for British comedy.

Also in this podcast he really slagged off Gervais, so I'm sure you whores were creaming yourselves listening to it.

Anyway, still enjoying his stuff a lot.

I think it's more of the case that he's never been well received here. He gushed over Mr Lee,and loves 'the Pythons' etc. He moans endlessly about having a shit time in Edinburrow, and that London, and that Dublin... I like his podcasts, but he seems really fucking needy.

Gash
x

Famous Mortimer

And remember, he's not a particularly brilliant standup. From what (admittedly, little) I've seen of him, he's a bit hacky- which is maybe why he didn't go down too well in Edinburgh. Fantastic interviewer though.

remedial_gash

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on June 06, 2011, 04:36:54 PM
And remember, he's not a particularly brilliant standup. From what (admittedly, little) I've seen of him, he's a bit hacky. Fantastic interviewer though.

I've seen some stuff on you-tube, where he seems much younger, and it's all a bit 3/5 if you get my drift.

As an interviewer he's brilliant, as you said. I think that his vulnerability and openness really gets guests to relax, it's often like a therapy session.

Gash
x

funstuie

There's a full set from a couple of years ago on vimeo: http://vimeo.com/6186398

I gave up after about 20 minutes.