Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:30:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Wolf Parade return with an actually pretty damn good album!

Started by Vitalstatistix, May 19, 2010, 11:15:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vitalstatistix

In anticipation for this, I blasted Apologies last week, and my what an energetic and wonderful album that is. In contrast, the followup, Mount Zoomer or whatever it's called, was pretty poney. Too prog, if I recall, though I should give it another chance some day.

Anyways, this album is killer. Not as immediate and spiky as Apologies (at this point I doubt they'll top that beast) but it just slays dudes!

Any love for this kooky rock band?

Edley

Weird, Mount Zoomer is the only album of theirs that I can listen to from beginning to end. Apologies had some very good songs scattered between the massively inferior re-recordings of older songs, but to say I'm underwhelmed by this one would be quite the understatement. Then again, I've been thinking for a couple of years that Spencer Krug is disappearing up his own rear end, so maybe his music just isn't for me anymore.

Vitalstatistix

Maybe I'll give Zoomer another go tonight, but I really hated it when it came out.

Really enjoying this new one, not as punky as the first, not as prog as the second, a pretty coherent sound. Rocking, with lots of synths and wailing vocals. Me likey.

As for Krug, he seems pretty inconsistent. I couldn't get into Sunset Rubdown but I've been meaning to give that stuff another crack as well...

Vitalstatistix

I am ADDICTED to this album. Really, really surprised by how much I'm enjoying it.

Not particularly original, but an absolutely killer combination of Numan-esque synths and raw, heavy Pixies-esque guitars.

Wolf Parade - Ghost Pressure

Wolf Parade - Oh You, Old Thing [HQ]

Wolf Parade - In the Direction of the Moon [HQ]