Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 12:36:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Big Brother 2010

Started by Emma Raducanu, May 22, 2010, 06:30:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will you be watching this year's Big Brother

Yes
No

Ja'moke

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on May 25, 2010, 02:42:50 PM
If you wanked over that, I implore you to seek help. I've never seen such an unappealing series of pictures. Also, xpost to PS Disasters.

Out of all of them pictured above, Michelle Bass was the only one that was ever attractive while on the show, the rest, as you say, are completely unappealing, especially in that photograph.

If I was to organise a "Big Brother photoshoot", it'd include Sara (the Aussie from a couple of series back), Imogen (the Welsh one), Maysoon (the boring one), Anouska (got voted out first in BB4), Sam (always wore a bikini), Emily (the racist one), and of course...Bex! (joking of course)

Feel free to design your ideal photoshoot of Big Brother totty.

mycroft

Quote from: Ja'moke on May 25, 2010, 03:57:40 PM
Michelle Bass was the only one that was ever attractive while on the show

Spiteface

Quote from: Ja'moke on May 25, 2010, 03:57:40 PMFeel free to design your ideal photoshoot of Big Brother totty.

I'd just include Saskia.  I forget which series she was in, as I didn't watch, but I saw pictures.

BANGERS. (NSFW, by the way)

papalaz4444244

If I didn't know those people and you'd told me they were ALL trannies, I would have believed you.

thomasina

Michelle's definitely improved, or that's a really flattering picture for her, she looks like Gwen Stefani there.  Aisleyne looks like a bloke (and I never thought so when she was on the show).

Pseudopath

Quote from: Ja'moke on May 23, 2010, 11:40:56 PM
The advert is pretty good, I just wish this lot were all going back in the house together. Imagine Makosi, Grace and Charley together!

BB11 Funeral Advert

Am I the only one who thought they should have had a waxwork Jade Goody lying in the grave?

Ja'moke

Quote from: mycroft on May 25, 2010, 06:57:22 PM

Not saying her actions on the show were attractive, but I think she is good looking, so yeah, sue me. I think she looks a bit like Maggie Grace (aka Shannon off of Lost).

By the way, here's another new housemate photoshoot:

I can understand most of the choices, they are all quite memorable - but Jen?!

Icehaven

Quote from: Pseudopath on May 25, 2010, 09:49:10 PM
Am I the only one who thought they should have had a waxwork Jade Goody lying in the grave?

No, I think it now too.

JPA

Quote from: Ja'moke on May 25, 2010, 03:57:40 PM
If I was to organise a "Big Brother photoshoot", it'd include Sara (the Aussie from a couple of series back), Imogen (the Welsh one), Maysoon (the boring one), Anouska (got voted out first in BB4), Sam (always wore a bikini), Emily (the racist one), and of course...Bex! (joking of course)

Feel free to design your ideal photoshoot of Big Brother totty.

I always liked...Shell? Was it?

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: icehaven on May 25, 2010, 11:49:59 PM
No, I think it now too.

If not that, then a framed picture on the wall is marginally more tasteful.

Who are the fellas second on the left and second on the right? Ah, is 2nd on right Nasty Nick?

Lee Van Cleef

So is this show going to be the all-stars or whatever they said it was?

If so I demand Marcus.  No Marcus = no fun.

Little Hoover

They should have Marcus go into the house and script some of what he's going to say in advance, so he can argue with his own narration in the future.

Ja'moke

It's official - the final series of Big Brother will hit our screens at 9pm on Wednesday 9th June.

Davina McCall will come direct from the Big Brother house to usher in one last group of Big Brother Housemates.

However, in a twist to the usual format there will be more hopefuls than the house can hold. In front of the cameras and the baying crowd each of the hopefuls will find out their fate. Will Big Brother select them to spend a summer in front of the cameras or will they have to head home with their bag still packed?

The new Housemates will be selected one by one and allowed into the Big Brother house to begin what could be the most exciting and unpredictable few weeks of their lives. Watch those first awkward moments unfold as they get to know each other and await the start of Big Brother's games.
http://www.channel4.com/programmes/big-brother/articles/launch-date-announced

ozziechef

I heard there was going to be
Spoiler alert
100 hopefuls at the first night
[close]

Ted-Maul

Helen (the very Welsh+Blonde one) from the 2nd series is still my all time fave BB babe. She was very attractive and also seemed genuinley nice.

The only thing I ever saw her on afterwards was that C4 'comedy' program "My New Best Friend" was it called? She got taken round to meet a 'fan' at her house but the fans was shaggin someone or something and wouldnt open the door. Hmm, maybe i dreamt it.....

I love you Helen!

Emma Raducanu

Quotein a twist to the usual format there will be more hopefuls than the house can hold

That's a bit annoying, since the first night is usually my favourite as I like making snap judgements based on stereotypes and bigotry.

switchbitch

Second left is Brian Dowling. I'm still trying to work out who the fuck the girl sat on the floor is...anyone?

Pseudopath

Quote from: switchbitch on May 26, 2010, 08:25:29 PM
Second left is Brian Dowling. I'm still trying to work out who the fuck the girl sat on the floor is...anyone?

From left to right: Nadia Almada (BB5 Winner), Pete Bennet (BB7 winner), Brian Dowling (BB2 Winner), Rex Newmark (BB9), Michelle Bass ( BB5), Jennifer Clarke (BB9), Nikki Grahame (BB7), Jade Goody (BB3), Brian Belo (BB8 winner), Nick Bateman (BB1), Chanelle Hayes (BB7).

Natnar

So how many housemates have there been in total over the past 10 big brothers?

Pseudopath

Quote from: Natnar on May 27, 2010, 10:22:04 AM
So how many housemates have there been in total over the past 10 big brothers?

Big Brother 1 = 11 contestants
Big Brother 2 = 11 contestants
Big Brother 3 = 14 contestants
Big Brother 4 = 13 contestants
Big Brother 5 = 13 contestants
Big Brother 6 = 16 contestants
Big Brother 7 = 22 contestants
Big Brother 8 = 23 contestants (Amanda and Sam counted as two, even though they ended up as a single contestant)
Big Brother 9 = 21 contenstants
Big Brother 10 = 22 contestants

I make that 166. Blimey!

Ja'moke

Big Brother Exposed: The Inside Story

Big Brother Exposed: The Inside Story

Documentary that was on E4 last night. It was actually decent for an E4 show, the BB1 stuff is interesting, it's the only series I haven't seen (apart from the infamous clips), but it looks fantastic, Nick was ahead of his time, and like that producer says, if he was on the American version he'd have been a hero and probably won the series.

Artemis

I've watched a couple of BB shows over the last couple of days; 'the inside story' or some such nonsense, and the BB awards show. Both of them reminded me just how great this programme can be. I watched series one and two, but went off travelling about a third of the way into series three, and subsequently missed the rest of that, the fourth, and the fifth series, returning for season six. It was a different beast by that point (you could see it heading that way in series three - one and two were both quite 'nice' really). That said, I forgot how many brilliant moments and housemates there were in series six and beyond. Yes, a lot of it was bloody awful, but that's to be expected I suppose in a show that's on for an hour every night for three months.

I sometimes find myself deriding 'modern day' BB, but season six had Craig, Anthony & Science. Season seven had Aisleyne & Nikki . Eight had Emily's arse, and nine had Darnell & Rex. Ten was completely unenjoyable to me so I didn't see much of it, but bloody hell, it's produced some really funny and superb TV along the way.

Season seven also had my favourite housemate of all time - Shahbaz. The guy should never have gotten through the psychiatric testing but somehow he did, and got thrown out after, among other things, miming shooting everyone before taking the invisible gun to himself. His behaviour as other housemates entered the house for the first time, and the frankly horrifying reaction to Richard entering the house, and Richard's valiant attempt to be polite and keep him at arm's length, is probably my favourite BB moment of all time, although C4 have carefully erased him from official BB history.

Looking through old YouTube clips, I'm also reminded how brilliant Russell Brand was on BBBM. That show belonged to him and they should have just discontinued it after he left - it's never recovered. I particularly enjoyed his relentless destruction of poor Jon Connell's ridiculous contraptions to show various dull aspects of the show - Brand had a real skill for loosely constructed live television in a much more entertaining way than Dermot, who was also very good at it (despite how annoying he is). Dermot/Davina/Brand were really the BB dream team.

Russell Brand vs Jon Connell BBBM (Big Brother's Big Mouth)

Ja'moke

Quote from: Artemis on May 29, 2010, 05:55:55 PM
I've watched a couple of BB shows over the last couple of days; 'the inside story' or some such nonsense, and the BB awards show. Both of them reminded me just how great this programme can be. I watched series one and two, but went off travelling about a third of the way into series three, and subsequently missed the rest of that, the fourth, and the fifth series, returning for season six. It was a different beast by that point (you could see it heading that way in series three - one and two were both quite 'nice' really). That said, I forgot how many brilliant moments and housemates there were in series six and beyond. Yes, a lot of it was bloody awful, but that's to be expected I suppose in a show that's on for an hour every night for three months.

You should really check out Big Brother 5 at some point. It's the year when the show really changed and went "evil", but I think it's the perfect series, with the best cast of housemates they've ever had. The "Fight Night" live feed was completely shocking and mesmerising at the time, I remember watching it until silly o'clock, even though it was mainly stock footage but with the sound of screaming, swearing and smashing objects in the background.

QuoteI sometimes find myself deriding 'modern day' BB, but season six had Craig, Anthony & Science. Season seven had Aisleyne & Nikki . Eight had Emily's arse, and nine had Darnell & Rex. Ten was completely unenjoyable to me so I didn't see much of it, but bloody hell, it's produced some really funny and superb TV along the way.

Big Brother 6 was a very good series in hindsight, I remember it been a little too nasty at the time though. But it did have some amazing housemates; Makosi, Science, Derek, Saskia, Craig, Kemal, Maxwell. Big Brother 7 was half a perfect series, until they brought all those newbies in to the House Next Door, and then they brought Nikki back. I hated Big Brother 8, so much that I stopped watching, you knew it was doomed to failure from the stupid All Female House opening twist, then with housemates such as Chanelle, Charley and Carole, it didn't help to make it any better. Big Brother 9 was very hit and miss, but it did have some cracking lines from Mario and Lisa, it had Rex who was brutally honest in a way that rarely works on Big Brother but did for him, and you had sexy Sara. I thought Big Brother 10 was an improvement in terms of the more recent series; the line-up of housemates was a better mix than 8 and 9, with Freddie, Siavash and Marcus as the stand-outs, and you had your villains in Lisa, and the stalker-magnet Noirin, but as is the case with the modern series, it tailored off towards the end and became very stale and predictable. The series runs for far too long, apparently this series will be the longest ever, running at 14 weeks!!

QuoteSeason seven also had my favourite housemate of all time - Shahbaz. The guy should never have gotten through the psychiatric testing but somehow he did, and got thrown out after, among other things, miming shooting everyone before taking the invisible gun to himself. His behaviour as other housemates entered the house for the first time, and the frankly horrifying reaction to Richard entering the house, and Richard's valiant attempt to be polite and keep him at arm's length, is probably my favourite BB moment of all time, although C4 have carefully erased him from official BB history.

I don't think they've erased Shahbaz from BB history completely. I remember he had a job as "roving reporter" on BBLB for a couple of series, but I assume that was because they felt guilty about putting him on the show.

QuoteLooking through old YouTube clips, I'm also reminded how brilliant Russell Brand was on BBBM. That show belonged to him and they should have just discontinued it after he left - it's never recovered. I particularly enjoyed his relentless destruction of poor Jon Connell's ridiculous contraptions to show various dull aspects of the show - Brand had a real skill for loosely constructed live television in a much more entertaining way than Dermot, who was also very good at it (despite how annoying he is). Dermot/Davina/Brand were really the BB dream team.

Russell Brand vs Jon Connell BBBM (Big Brother's Big Mouth)

I'm a Russell Brand fan anyway, well of his radio show, I haven't seen/heard much of him since that finished. But yes, he was excellent on Big Mouth, it was actually an enjoyable show to watch back then, sometimes more enjoyable than the main show - like what BBLB used to be back in the early years.

Enjoyed that Big Brother Exposed prog. Re-watching Nasty Nick's fictional anecdote about his wife dying in a car crash was particularly uncomfortable viewing. But his appearance laments the lack of 'game players' that appeared in subsequent series'. Ja'moke often references the US Version, obviously a different kettle of fish to the UK show, but far more of a tactical show. I'd like to have seen more Nasty Nick's, and less Chanelle Hayes's.

Ja'moke

Quote from: confettiinmyhair on May 29, 2010, 09:01:39 PM
Enjoyed that Big Brother Exposed prog. Re-watching Nasty Nick's fictional anecdote about his wife dying in a car crash was particularly uncomfortable viewing. But his appearance laments the lack of 'game players' that appeared in subsequent series'. Ja'moke often references the US Version, obviously a different kettle of fish to the UK show, but far more of a tactical show. I'd like to have seen more Nasty Nick's, and less Chanelle Hayes's.

Yes, the way they handled the Nasty Nick situation determined how the show would operate and be viewed by the viewing public for each subsequent series. If Nick hadn't have cheated by writing names down, and simply used his tactics of manipulation; charming each housemate individually, telling his made-up stories etc, he would probably have made it to the end, because according to that documentary, up until that point he hadn't recieved one single nomination. The question is, would the viewing public have voted for him to win in the end? It would all depend on how it was edited, but they certainly could have made it seem like Nick played the best game, therefore deserved to win, if that's the angle they wanted to push. Or, if instead of ejecting Nick from the house, they simply gave him a nomination ban (which let's face it, is all that would happen these days), and allowed him to be properly nominated and evicted, again, I think the show would have been a completely different animal.

If that first series was edited in a way that made it seem it was acceptable to "play the game", we would have had a lot more Nick's, Victor's, Makosi's applying in the following years, and like you say Confetti, I'd take a million Nasty Nick's over Chanelle Hayes.

I always assumed that Nick simply wrote names down and was a cheat. I had no idea, or maybe I had just forgotten, that he was such a charming, manipulative bastard. Those one-on-one chats he had with each housemate, playing up to certain aspects of their personalities, influencing them with his stories, that was brilliant, I'd have loved to watch that, it's the reason I'm such a fan of Big Brother US, because for all it's shitty incidental music, over-the-top narration and quick-cut edits, it is such an interesting game, and watching how housemates adopt and adapt strategies to influence each other and advance themselves further in the game, I find that totally compelling. Nick seemed to be very good at it, and it makes me wish he could have played the American version.

Those clips of Nick reminded me of this guy from the second season of Big Brother US, I think I may have posted some of these clips in an old Big Brother thread, but they are a perfect taste of the style of Big Brother played in America, and I love it, it's like watching a 12 week conman story, and I love me some conman stories/films. :D

Will Kirby BB2 & BB7 - Dr. Evil Diet

Classic Dr Will

BB2 Classic Dr Will

And this guy was hated at the beginning of the series by viewers, but the producers allowed it to play out, and by the end he was the fan favourite, and his fellow housemates voted him the winner.

But with our Big Brother, the producers chose to vilify Nick, and portrayed him as the villian, up against the working-class hero Craig. Nick was sent packing, shamed and humiliated; Craig went on to win and we were destined to a show that's aim became to make it as far as possible to enhance a media career, rather than make it as far as you can to win the money. Brian Dowling won the following year, went on to host SM:TV, Kate Lawler won the year after, went on to do various photoshoots and hosted RISE....as the show went on, the more it became a fame game, rather than a 'game-show'.

And that's not to take anything away from the series, it has provided countless moments of entertainment, laughter, anger, frustration, joy and utter bemusement over the last decade, but I think it is very interesting to look at how easily it could have been a completely different show. It was the first 'big' reality show of its kind in the UK, the public weren't sure what exactly it was that they were watching, or how to react to what they were watching, but what we do know is that the attitude the producers took to the storylines, and the winner that series, determined what type of show it would be forever.

It's like how Richard Hatch, the strategic mastermind villain, won the first ever series of Survivor, and that became the blueprint for the game. If the competitive but generally nice Kelly Wigglesworth would have won, Survivor would have been a completely different show, and would probably have been cancelled a long time ago!

Artemis

Quote from: Ja'mokeI don't think they've erased Shahbaz from BB history completely. I remember he had a job as "roving reporter" on BBLB for a couple of series, but I assume that was because they felt guilty about putting him on the show.

He made wonderful viewing, though. At times you wondered whether you should laugh at him, but he was literally the only entertaining thing about BB7 until Nicki got going and Aislyene turned up. They should feel guilty about putting him in though, if only because of what happened to the poor bastard when he got out... PILE ON!!

Very Funny! Big Brother Shahbaz Pile On, in Sea Nightclub, Newcastle

Quote from: Ja'moke on May 29, 2010, 10:01:09 PM
If Nick hadn't have cheated by writing names down, and simply used his tactics of manipulation; charming each housemate individually, telling his made-up stories etc, he would probably have made it to the end, because according to that documentary, up until that point he hadn't recieved one single nomination.

Nah, he'd still never have beaten Craig or Anna. He was unpopular outside the house, and he would have been even were it not for his cheating, just because he's not a Man Of The People, but a posh city cunt instead.

QuoteI always assumed that Nick simply wrote names down and was a cheat. I had no idea, or maybe I had just forgotten, that he was such a charming, manipulative bastard. Those one-on-one chats he had with each housemate, playing up to certain aspects of their personalities, influencing them with his stories, that was brilliant, I'd have loved to watch that

Oh crikey yes, he was very good at it. In many ways, the writing down of the names was the least clever thing he did. The story telling about his made up dead wife was wonderful, as was the way he subtly manipulated the housemates to his advantage. It was so huge at the time, it was mental. Definitely one of the best BB moments of all time. The Sun were flying remote controlled little planes over the house and dropping messages in and all sorts. At the time, that was utterly unprecedented and spellbinding.

QuoteBut with our Big Brother, the producers chose to vilify Nick, and portrayed him as the villian, up against the working-class hero Craig. Nick was sent packing, shamed and humiliated; Craig went on to win and we were destined to a show that's aim became to make it as far as possible to enhance a media career, rather than make it as far as you can to win the money. Brian Dowling won the following year, went on to host SM:TV, Kate Lawler won the year after, went on to do various photoshoots and hosted RISE....as the show went on, the more it became a fame game, rather than a 'game-show'.

Yeah, agreed. They'd never throw Nick out now. I remember when he did go, it lost a lot and quickly became very boring. By today's standards, without Nick (and possibly Nicola), BB1 would have given BB4 a run for it's money as the Boring One. It's only because it was so new and had such a massive novelty (and because of Nick) that it was any good at all.

By the way, was that John Connell kid real, do you think? He did seem genuinely upset that Russell get destroying what he'd obviously been working on, but I could never work out if it was all staged or not? Brand was so coked up lively back then, you did get that lovely 'this could go horribly wrong' feeling that you get with the best live television hosts. Take this case in point...

Russell Brand & Jon Connell Comedy Sketch #4 - BBBM (Big Brother's Big Mouth)

Ja'moke

Quote from: Artemis on May 30, 2010, 12:35:59 AM
By the way, was that John Connell kid real, do you think? He did seem genuinely upset that Russell get destroying what he'd obviously been working on, but I could never work out if it was all staged or not? Brand was so coked up lively back then, you did get that lovely 'this could go horribly wrong' feeling that you get with the best live television hosts. Take this case in point...

Russell Brand & Jon Connell Comedy Sketch #4 - BBBM (Big Brother's Big Mouth)

I think the first time he destroyed his contraption, that clip you originally posted, it was real. But after that I think they were set up. I do like that clip you posted though, "It's like Subbuteo without the motion or movement."

I always liked those bits at the beginning of Big Mouth where he picked up on humourous clips from the days live feed that didn't make the main show. I remember that one of Richard in BB7 dancing to Madonna's Vogue, but not really knowing the words or the dance, "Come on....vogue."

Ja'moke

24/7 live streaming is back then:

QuoteBIG BROTHER BRINGS BACK LIVE FEED & GIVES 1000 FREE PASSES TO FANS

Channel 4 is to bring back 24 hour live streaming from the Big Brother House for its final series which starts on June 9th. The move will give viewers the ultimate reality experience, literally enabling them to follow the action in the house as it happens, around the clock.

Live streaming of the house (see notes below) will be accessible via the official Big Brother site www.channel4.com/bigbrother. Viewers will pay a small fee to access the footage; 49p for a day pass; £1.99 for a week pass; and £14.99 for a season pass for the whole 13 week series. The money generated through the sales of passes will cover some of the costs it takes to run the streaming.

As a nod to the fans who have watched and supported the show for the past ten years Channel 4 is giving away 1000 free season passes for the feed. The giveaway will begin at 7pm on Tuesday 8th June, the day before the show launches live on Channel 4. Fans will need to register on the official Big Brother website (channel4.com./bigbrother) at this time and if they are one of the first 1000 registrations received they will be given a free pass.

Channel 4 Commissioning Editor, David Williams said
"Years ago streaming on line was less popular due to the limitations of technology, however now we know that the vast majority of fans will have access to broadband and are very active online. This is a great way of Channel 4 giving the fans the all-access action that they want, and thanking them for following the show for the past eleven years. "

The live feed will start from the very first night (exact time TBC), once the new housemates are all in the house.

In addition to the online streaming there will be live streaming on television in the afternoons on E4 and overnight on E4 and Channel 4, as occurred for Celebrity Big Brother 7 in January. Other TV programming includes E4's ultimate fanzine show Big Brother's Little Brother and the late-night Big Brother's Big Mouth hosted by Davina following each live eviction.

Not a bad price really. I'll probably pay for the first week, see if they are a decent bunch and then I'll take it from there. It's the last ever series, I do want to try and stick with it all the way through to its bitter end.

Artemis

I'm not paying anything for a dodgy feed of birds singing through their website. If it's on as a feed in the afternoons and late evening, that's good enough for me.

Custard

The Shahbaz nightclub video actually gets funnier every time you see it. Better than anything he did on the show.