Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:50:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Big Brother 2010

Started by Emma Raducanu, May 22, 2010, 06:30:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will you be watching this year's Big Brother

Yes
No

Ja'moke

Quote from: Artemis on June 04, 2010, 12:56:33 PM
I'm not paying anything for a dodgy feed of birds singing through their website. If it's on as a feed in the afternoons and late evening, that's good enough for me.

The feed was only on from 12am-6am on E4 last series though, and most of the time they were in bed. I assume it's the same this year. Plus there aren't any adverts on the online feed.

Custard

Remember Bex from a couple series back? Well she's not happy as Luke (that creepy little git she got hold of on BB) has sold a story on her, saying she takes coke, hit him, and other "crimes". She's denying it all, and claiming she's moved on and he's obsessed and bitter etc. Apparently he also deleted her Facebook, Twitter, cancelled her mobile-phone contract, and other break-up goodness when they split up a few months back.

I hated that Luke. Not to the ridiculous level I reached with that Craig who molested the drunk geordie fella a few years ago, but somewhere near.

I enjoy reading stories about ex-housemates, and how they handle life post-BB. Virtually all of them have Twitter and Facebook accounts, and mainly spend their time banging on about the show.

Right, I know this is a bit DigitalSpy, but who has been everyone's favourite housemates then?

I still think Victor was great. And Ahmed. His plate-throwing and banshee-screaming in the garden was incredible. Thought Michelle was pretty funny that year too. I'll have a think for more.

spanky

I remember liking Science, but I don't recall anything about him. Maxwell was the very worst.

Ja'moke

Bloody hell. In more Bex news, which you may not want to hear. She's started working for one of those late night adult chat channels on Sky, there's a huge thread on it on Digital Spy - with pictures!

Favourite housemate, yep, has to be Victor, although Science does follow closely behind. Makosi too, and Alex (BB3), and Jon Tickle. And Aisleyne. Oh there's quite a lot actually.

Worst housemates, Maxwell as mentioned above, and Lesleh from that same series. Carole from BB8, in fact, most of the BB8 housemates.

Emma Raducanu

Shahbaz was certainly the most entertaining hosemate. My memories of him have soured somewhat, hearing of mental health problems etc but for while he was in the house, he was someone that effortlessly made me laugh, bemused and amused in equal measure and was someone to root for. It was probably my affection for him and his subsequent treatment at the hands of the others that made me hate everyone else. His late night pranks, chuckling and talking to himself were fascinating and when confronted I was always glad he stuck up for himself. His breakdown in the diary room "I'm not just a national insurance number" nearly had me in tears as a saddening window on his life outside emerged. His brief but action-filled time in the house are my most favourite of any series.

Tory Boy Derek had some utterly brilliant moments but the longer he spent in the house, the more I took a disliking to him, possibly as a result of his conversations with that Italian bloke making them universally unpopular.

I know someone who worked with Roberto in a 'severe behavioural difficulties' school, told me some amusing stories.

The kids were taunting him, calling him a 'p**i' and he squealed 'Don't you know we're living in a global village?!'

The other one was when nobody wanted to do the work so he started ranting to them about the 'good people paying their taxes' to support their education.

Sounds like a douche.

Ja'moke

All I remember from Roberto was when he poured a bowl of spaghetti on Maxwell's head, and for that he gets a thumbs up from me.

Come to think of it, BB6 was packed with big characters wasn't it?

Artemis

I didn't hate Luke as much as I hate Bex. She was extraordinarily vacuous, with not a single redeeming feature. What's worse is she actually thought she was a brilliant BB housemate, like Luke. The irony of it was they made the show unwatchable.

Best housemates? I loved Rex, Nikki, Aisleyne, Sam (Heuston), Science and Alex.

EDIT: This is supposedly the bathroom from the new house:

Official house pics are released at midnight tonight, apparently...

Ambient Sheep

Victor, although a great gameplayer (until he ballsed it up) was just a tad too shouty & violent for me.

My favourite is probably Dan from the same series: the bit where Jason was having one of his turns, and Dan, lying on his bed, gently brought his tie-clip mic up to his lips, looked at the camera and very quietly said "Psychopath!" is one of my favourites in all BB.  Let us not forget he's also the man that managed to blackmail BB into giving way on some issue or other by threatening to get the housemates to boycott the Saturday night live task show (which were promptly dropped after that).  I think he was also the first to come up with the idea of "Let's not talk all day, so they have no footage".  On a happier note, I remember him singing & strumming along on guitar to their self-penned ditty about barleycorns & bicycles for the folk song task -- they'd been given three words to incorporate into their song, and all they did was sing the three words over and over again.  I loved that, not least because it really worked.

The negative thing about Dan's intelligence is that they never again dared put anybody into the house who was clever enough to challenge Big Brother, until Marcus came along, leading to four years of almost total imbecility inbetween.  In fact, come to think of it, it's a close-run thing between Dan & Marcus in my affections for top housemate.

Rex was also good fun, and sometimes very likeable, but ultimately too much of a real-life cunt to be considered my favourite.

Custard

Rex and Mo are still good mates, judging by Rex's Twitter. They also went on holiday with Kat.

I didn't mind Bex really. She was more daft than anything. Found her quite harmless really. Luke though, coniving little twerp who wasn't a quarter as sly and clever with it as he thought he was. Completely transparent.

Forgot about Science! He could be the best housemate actually. The way he'd wind up the entire house, and his great chemistry with Derrick. Brilliant.

Also, Darnell had some great moments. Sticking up for Mo during the spitting incident etc. Got a bit tiresome towards the end, but least he had something about him and things to say. He just said them constantly. On a loop.

Lesleh was awful. No redeeming features there. And Charlie, she was awful. In fact, I hated that whole series with her, Channelle, and Ziggy. I'd even take BB4 over that mess. Just constant attention-seeking and arguments. Totally unwatchable.

Ja'moke

Same here, I've said before that BB8 is the only series I gave up watching. It started off bad with that shitty 'all female house' twist, and it continually worsened over the series. I didn't like any of the housemates, apart from Lesley, the older lady, who after realising she'd have to spend possibly three months with a bunch of useless, egocentric twats, did a runner after the first week. I remember the tasks been particularly bad that series too, lots of dressing up in stupid costumes and doing dance routines. And then they kept throwing in ridiculous twists in an attempt to kick up some tension; the £100,000 give-away, the fake eviction, the fake Australian housemate, the Half Way House (worst twist ever) where they kept meddling with the rules until the producers had the selection of housemates they wanted in the house. Awful series with awful housemates. I'd take BB4 every time, at least the housemates were likable.

Best series for me are BB3 and BB5. But discussing favourite housemates has made me realise how chock full of characters BB6 was, I seem to remember it being a bit too nasty at the time, but looking back that was a hell of a series.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Ja'moke on June 04, 2010, 07:01:56 PMI've said before that BB8 is the only series I gave up watching...

Yes, the only truly unwatchable housemate for me was Charley Uchea, followed very closely by BB7's Nikki Grahame (whom the production team inexplicably still seem to love).  I too had to give up on BB8, at least for a few weeks until Charley got evicted.  The halfway house bollocks was unbeliveably tedious too, I just totally lost track of who went where in what direction when and what that meant, and as you say, BB kept fiddling with the rules until they got the result they wanted.  I was very glad when that series was over, and I think the production team realised they'd fucked up as the following year's was a lot more sensible.

I quite liked the fake Aussie housemate idea though.

Darnell was actually pretty good until he cracked near the end.  Science I would have had a lot more time for if he hadn't been so fucking shouty all the time, really got on my tits.  His Dad was right to tell him to "keep it down, son" in his video-from-home.

Also not sure how I forgot Jon Tickle, another legend, albeit behind Dan & Marcus in my list.

Ja'moke

I actually liked Nikki on her first go around. Well, not so much liked, but enjoyed watching, she came out with some wonderful sayings at times. But putting her back in was a huge mistake, which they admitted to on that Inside Story documentary. And it also spawned a whole bunch of copy-cat tantrum throwers in the following series, namely Chanelle and Charley.

Custard

Cheers Ja'moke, thats reminded me to watch that Inside Story show.

Its up on 4OD's YouTube channel. And the Awards Show, but wasn't that terrible?

http://www.youtube.com/show/bigbrother

small_world

I liked Science too. I really enjoyed that 'living in a box' task.
Especially when Science discovered Sam was giving herself a poke.

My fav contestant was Spencer Smith, pretty cool, evicted way too early (not appreciated in his own time)...

mycroft

Science's greatest moment has to either be his being a dog during a training task, where he refused to obey any of his commander's (the Mika-alike, I forget his name) orders ("Sci-dog is, like, the Littlest Hobo!") or when he was sat by the pool, nonchelantly watching the Geordie/Makosi/Orlaith live sex show ("You look like you're watching a TV show." "I am."). And then Derek's attempts to take him under his wing in a sort of Eliza Doolittle way, aaaah, fantastic series. Victor still clinches the "best housemate ever" title for me, though.

Ja'moke

New house pics have "leaked". Got to say, it looks bloody fantastic, certainly better than the cheaply put together houses of the past couple of series.

Is there anyway I can hide those pictures under a tag, the spoiler tag doesn't work for pics?

Spoiler alert

[close]

Artemis

Wow - impressive. I particularly like the transparent 'wall' so that the housemates will be able to watch whoever is evicted actually leaving the house, like it used to be. That's a nice touch.

It's all going to come down to the housemates isn't it, as usual. When I went to the auditions, the place was jam packed full of try-hard's who talked knowledgeably about agencies and talent scouts. They were straight out of the battery farm of wannabes trying to find a break, and that was kind of depressing. They reminded me of Bex and Luke - vacuous non-personalities who thought they were clever enough to 'give the producers what they want'. I really hope that this year we'll get some real people.

Ja'moke

From what I've read, a lot of this years housemates were recruited from agencies or from various 'groups' that the producers were interested in representing. For example, they wanted a 'biker', so they approached various Harley Davidson style biker clubs. I mean that isn't always a bad thing, it's what most US reality shows do, like Survivor and their Big Brother, and it can bring some interesting people to the show that otherwise would not have applied. But I would like a selection of more ordinary, down to earth folk who actually auditioned to be on the show.

House looks like it was designed by AnCo.

Artemis

Official confirmation here

I like it. I'm not sure what the hell the picture of what looks like Davina consoling a thinner Jade's racist reincarnation is supposed to represent, but the house looks swish. I love the transparency.

Plus: Chickens again? Yay!

Ja'moke

Launch twist confirmed:

QuoteBig Brother bosses have confirmed that there will be between 80 and 90 hopeful housemates on launch night.

The opening twist will involve Big Brother revealing the final selection of contestants live in front of the nation next Wednesday. Creative director Phil Edgar Jones admitted that the producers are still in the process of selecting their final cast.

"We've got our shortlist of people coming down on launch night," he said. "There will probably be around 80 or 90 people. They are all coming down to join in this last carnival which is Big Brother.

"None of them will know whether or not they have been picked. To be honest, not even we know all of them yet. Some of them we do, some we don't."

He continued: "Big Brother still makes the decision on who goes in the house, like it has always done. You will just see the moment when they find out who enters this wonderful, beautiful house. There will be between 12 to 14 housemates. I'm being truthful, we genuinely don't know at this point how many. We haven't finished selecting yet, we are just trying to get the mix right."

Explaining the physical setup on Wednesday night, he said: "They will still walk in individually and get their own walk into the house. They are just not pulling up in cars, getting booed or cheered. We are doing it in a slightly different way.

"They will be outside. On the big staging outside. Davina will be there. The big crowd will be there. They will all be there in the middle with their name badges on. Big Brother will announce who is going in the house, then you'll see their face as they start screaming, gibbering or running away madly from it. Who knows?"

Jones also revealed that one of the inspirations behind the latest launch twist was late housemate Jade Goody.

"There has always been this amazing reaction on the phone when we tell people that they are going in," he said. "I remember for example, calling Jade up, and then she dropped the phone and fainted. We told her that she couldn't tell anybody and then she told everybody that she met."

Probed further about housemates, he insisted that they do not "have a touch of celebrity" about them. He also confessed that it is likely more contestants will join the show later in the series.
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/bigbrother/news/a223635/full-bb11-launch-night-details-confirmed.html

Not sure about that. 90 of the buggers?!

TIAL

Don't they have to keep any potential housemates in isolation overseas before the show starts? Can't see them doing that with 90 people.

Artemis

It's a nice idea. It'll be good to see people REACT when they find out they're in, I guess. I just hope we don't get any Suzie's from when they last tried this.

TIAL

I suppose with that ammount of people the press wouldn't be able to pinpoint the actual contestants so there'd be no need to send them abroad.

I just want real chickens back. I have fond memories of Darren and his chickens in series 1. It'd be something decent to cut to when the swears get too much.

Ja'moke

According to Phil Edgar Jones the potential housemates are not in hiding.

Quote from: Artemis on June 05, 2010, 12:43:01 AM
It's a nice idea. It'll be good to see people REACT when they find out they're in, I guess. I just hope we don't get any Suzie's from when they last tried this.

That shouldn't be the case, as it isn't random like the Golden Housemate supposedly was. The final selection is still to be chosen by the producers, it's just that the housemates themselves won't know if they've been picked until live on the launch show. Although there's always bound to be a couple of duds.

Artemis

BB9's Bex's Twitter Page is quite amusing, inadvertently.

Regarding Luke...

Quote from: Rebecca ShinerWish I had of beat him up n killed him the fanny

Brian

I'm on board as usual. Loved BB since day one. I agree that it got side tracked by tabloid scandal and overnight celebrity, but despite the producers tweaking at its best its still my fave popular study of human behaviour . Looking at the tags, has anyone else noticed how this show polarises opinion with otherwise reasonable friends and relatives? I've innocently asked folk if they watch to have them snarl "I don't watch that fucking reality t.v shit!". Ironically some of these people have gone on to be rabid , staying in to watch launch night, fans.

Ja'moke

Definitely, Brian. I was asking people at work yesterday whether they were watching it, some were like "Yes! Of course, it's the last series.", and then others act like you've just insulted them right to the very core by such a suggestion. But what I've found, is that it tends to be the media reaction to the show that people hate, rather than the show itself. The main reason one of my work mates hates it, is because it's on every night for 13 weeks, it's in all the papers, magazines and other TV shows, and people are always talking about it - it's unavoidable. I had to disagree somewhat, as although that may have been the case a few of years ago, the last couple of series have gone by pretty quietly as far as the media is concerned, but as this is the last series, maybe it'll get more coverage.

Artemis

I don't understand the 'I hate that it's unavoidable' argument. By 'unavoidable' they mean they have to turn to page two for their news instead of getting it on page one. Normality hasn't gone away, it's just been hidden for a couple of months. But it's easy to find. I find that a lot of strong anti opinions about BB (and reality TV in general) are just excuses to spiel of a load of tedious twaddle about the 'state of young people' or the 'state of television' or some other argument that doesn't hold up to even mild scrutiny. Speaking for myself, I love BB except when it's shit, like BB8 and BB10.