Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:44:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Gig Announcements Thread

Started by imitationleather, May 08, 2004, 03:19:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imitationleather

I decided that this didn't really fit into the review or the find-a-whore threads, so I'm starting a thread where we can bung any interesting up and coming gigs.

So, first off, Razorlight are playing a "surprise" gig at Mean Fiddler tomorrow. Doors are at 11pm and they'll be on at 1am. The festivities go on until 4am. It's five quid before midnight and seven after (although, I doubt you'll really be able to get in after midnight).

Now, as you may be aware I'm not really a big fan of Razorlight. Infact, I think they're a bunch of talentless fuckwits. However, this is to be their last gig with their drummer before he sods off to become a hippy and live in a tree (what did I say? They're the new Kula Shaker!). So, if you like attending potential "landmark" gigs this could be one.

I'll be there with a load of Libertines fans, scowling at the people enjoying the music. I'm only going because I know someone who knows someone and so I can get in for free.

Also, Wolfman is playing at the Duke of Clarence on Sunday. Tickets are a fiver and doors are at 7pm. This gig has been announced because he's been banned from playing at the Rhythm Factory after he was found there with an obscene amount of smack on him. Silly wolf, naughty wolf.

Finally, for the cheapskates out there, Graham Coxon will be playing tracks from his new album for free at the HMV on Oxford Street at 6pm on the 17th May. You can't argue with prices like that!

Any to add?

dan dirty ape

Reggae pioneers Toots and the Maytals are playing Shepherd's Bush Empire on 6th June. Ticket prices are a bit extortianate, but if Toots Hibbert still has the voice I imagine it'll be unmissable.

mayer

Simon & Garfunkel playing at the MEN and Hyde Park in July

MEN is horrible, expensive and sold out.

still General Admission tickets for Hyde Park -  forty quid plus usual.

i'll consider it if i've got any cash by the end of term and there are still tickets about.

Sam

I'm going to see Incubus in Manchester this Friday. Anyone here going?

imitationleather

Right. Art Brut are playing at the Windmill in Brixton on Friday. It's only three quid to get in, which surely is worth it just to hear them do 'Formed a Band'. I'm going to go and then attempt to hot foot it to catch my chosen mode of transportation to get to Manc for the meet.

Up-and-coming band The Others, who've had their debut release selected as NME Single of the Week, are playing at Mean Fiddler on Saturday. It's a fiver before 12, seven quid after (with a flyer). Unfortunately I won't be able to go to that one. Ah well.

Oh yeah, what I said in the first post about Wolfman getting banned from the Rhythm Factory appears to be a load of bollocks. Don't blame me, blame the unreliable fuckers at thelibertines dot org. So, he'll be playing with Selfish Cunt in tow at the Rhythm Factory on the 18th. Tickets are a tenner and trust me, it will be worth it.

TraceyQ

<Grumbles on about no life outside London>

Gits.

smoker

fingathing - 31st june at fibbers in york

pretty dead boy

love are playing in yorkshire soon, and everyone there should go.

Sunday 30th May.

UNITE FESTIVAL, organised by Unite Against Fascism. Albert Square, Manchester, 12 noon till 8.00 p.m. Line-up will include Badly Drawn Boy, The Music, The Haven. Plus other artists. Posters and flyers available from early next week. A brilliant climax to the Manchester campaign. More details soon. Start spreading the word.
Plus evening gigs in local clubs etc - details to follow.

free, for a good cause, etc etc.

imitationleather

...And the following Sunday in London there's the Rock Against Racism carnival which will be featuring, among others, The Buzzcocks and The Libertines. The location is still to be confirmed, but it's going to be free too.

Isn't it funny though how at both of these there's only really artists that white people are into?

dan dirty ape

Quote from: "imitationleather"...And the following Sunday in London there's the Rock Against Racism carnival which will be featuring, among others, The Buzzcocks and The Libertines. The location is still to be confirmed, but it's going to be free too.

Isn't it funny though how at both of these there's only really artists that white people are into?

Sounds great, though.  Any ideas who else is playing?

imitationleather

Sorry, I can't remember who else the woman who was telling me about it said. Still, it's worth going just on the strength of those two, isn't it?

Bit of a secret one this (as in no one's supposed to know until a couple of hours before the gig), but Mick Jones' new band Carbon/Silicon are playing Dublin Castle tomorrow. It's not a castle, and it's not in Dublin. The festivities kick off at 8.30 and the main act are on at 10.45. Tickets are four big ones and apparently drinks are "cheap", but in London that probably means it's a fiver for a bottle of Beck's or something.

I don't need to worry about that though, because I'm on the guest list. And I'm getting all my drinks for free.

:jammybastard:

TraceyQ

Quote from: "imitationleather"

That's a bit of a sweeping statement, seeing how the Lib's drummer is black.

imitationleather

Quote from: "TraceyQ"That's a bit of a sweeping statement.

No it's not.

<End of argument>

But seriously, it's not a sweeping statement. At all The Libertines gigs I've been to, the only black person has ever been Gary (the drummer). And even if there were one or two black fans at each gig, that wouldn't really change my original point.

If it's an anti-racism carnival, there should at least be some other social group than white lower-middle class men attending, and music that is mostly listened to by people from ethnic minorities should also be featured.

But I've just remembered it's Rock Against Racism. Ah well, nevermind...

imitationleather

Replying to my own post? Dearie me, how sad...

Well, I went to see The Others again last night. Don't worry, I'm not going to bore you with another review. There was much stagediving again, and even though it was half-empty it was still buzzing.

Anyway, here are the rest of the dates they're doing this week:
19-May-04 - THE END OF THE LINE TOUR - Walthamstow The Standard (Victoria Line top)
20-May-04 - THE END OF THE LINE TOUR - Brixton Telegraph (Victoria Line bottom)
22-May-04 - THE END OF THE LINE TOUR - A gig in a tube. (watch this space for details)
25-May-04 - THE END OF THE LINE TOUR - New Cross Paradise Bar (East London Line bottom)

The gig in a tube train sounds like the best bet to me...