Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 08:47:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Manic Street Preachers - Postcards From A Young Man

Started by purlieu, June 02, 2010, 05:59:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Custard

Oh, go on then!

Generation Terrorists - 7
Gold Against The Soul - 6
The Holy Bible - 9
Everything Must Go - 9
This Is My Truth Tell Me Yours - 5
Know Your Enemy - 7
Lifeblood - 8
Send Away The Tigers - 8
Journal For Plague Lovers - 9

Gotta say though, as much as I found the TIMTTMY album weak overall, there are still some fine tunes within. Tsunami probably being my stand-out.

How would y'all rate JDB and Wire's 2006 solo records, then? I loved them both too.

Told you I'm a fan-boi ;D

Spiteface

Both solo albums have some good songs on them, Wire's just about edges it for me, if only for how raw it sounds.  Then again, I loved "Wattsville Blues" and "Ballad of the Bangkok Novotel", both sung by Wire...

I don't want to score the Manics albums like you have done, as like the Smashing Pumpkins albums, my favourites change regularly.  The Holy Bible is one I always come back to though.

El Unicornio, mang

I've only listened to the first four:

Generation Terrorists - 7
Gold Against The Soul - 8 (I probably like this album more for the memories of the time I listened to it than the content, although it does have at least 3 cracking songs on it)
The Holy Bible - 9
Everything Must Go - 7

Custard

More Tweetage from the man in the know, Simon Price:

QuoteAw, I really like this MSP album! The hardcore will hate it, mind. It's got more strings than Rafael Nadal's hand luggage.

But what you probably want to hear is that it's not their worst album. It's not their worst album.

In fact it's now possible to do a MSP Top Ten: 1. THB 2. EMG 3. JFPL 4. GATS 5. GT 6. KYE 7. PFAYM 8. SATT 9. TIMTTMY 10. L

My early top three songs: "Some Kind Of Nothingness", "(It's Not War)", "Golden Platitudes". But that's bound to change.

I like how they got McCulloch to sing "Never stop, never stop". Shoulda made him go "Killing moon, cutter, back of love" too.

I can't help wondering whether the Manics radio-friendly thing will work. It ain't 1997 any more and radio's changed a lot.

Mind you, in some places the production's like late-period Take That. And they haven't done too badly.

It's a commercial, melodic Manics record, not a 'difficult', noisy one.

And erm.... also on his page today:

QuoteChrist, Wales On Sunday want a comment from me about some 'medium' called Angie Kruger who's charging people for "messages from Richey".

Of course, I wouldn't DREAM of encouraging you to all show your love for this Richey-channeling entrepreneur at http://www.angandrich.co.uk

I've told WoS I don't want to get involved by the way, even to provide negative comment.

Here's hoping it isn't long before the only way to contact Angie Kruger is via a medium.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

How on earth can JFPL be a good album, or even their 3rd best album? I've listened to it over and over again and can only remember what 2 songs actually go like. One day the people raving about JFPL will rediscover it and realise that there's only 2 songs that remotely stand up to their best work, and the others are formless and identity-free. It's basically a nice idea for an album, but with a hugely disappointing execution. Lacking tunes. Where are the tunes? Where's the interesting production? How can something with so few involving moments actually be a good album? How can certain tracks that sound like noughties REM/Foo Fighters cast-offs be 'good'?

I must admit I find it all baffling to say the least. I hope it gets a Be Here Now/X&Y style critical reappraisal where they realise the tracks are poor, both in comparison to their other work and just generally, and that's why it's actually not as good as they make out.

You see, the thing about Lifeblood is, after you listen to it you can remember what all the songs go like. Same with Everything Must Go. Same with The Holy Bible. Not that it's as good as those, but y'know, it fulfils a fundamental of what makes an album worth listening to.

Custard

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 30, 2010, 01:54:44 PM
that's why it's actually not as good as they make out.

Make out? Maybe there's people other than yourself who genuinely love it? Its all opinions innit.

I rate it highly for a few reasons. Great lyrics (was fantastic hearing "new" stuff from Richey), it felt somehow like the full line-up had reunited, the tracks were strong (we'll have to agree to disagree here), and to me it felt like their tightest, most complete work for some years, with next to no fat or bloat dragging things down. Its's a really tight, focused, direct record i feel, and made a refreshing change to the latter-day strings and big-chorus work of yer Manics.

Custard

It's an "album album", if i dare use that description. Not really designed to be heard as tracks, invidually or randomly, but as a whole. I know that could pass as an excuse for it possibly not having big stand-out catchy tracks, but in this case i genuinely believe it. Cos they were clearly not aiming for the big tracks, and going for something more subtle. So that's why the "no tunes" complaint grates on me a bit, as i see the album as more of an attempt to go in a slightly different direction and make a complete work from start to finish, to be listened to as such, rather than 4 singles and 6 lesser tracks to pad it out.

Generation Terrorists - 6.  The timeless 'Motorcycle Emptiness' aside it sounds incredibly dated.  Ambitious but way too long for these ears.  Gains a point for 'Repeat' alone.

Gold Against the Soul - 5.  Proper cheesey but some nice hints of what was to come with Everything Must Go.  Loses a point for 'Drug Drug Druggy' alone.

The Holy Bible - 10.  Masterpiece.

Everything Must Go - 9.  For such an unashamed guitar pop record to carry songs like 'Small Black Flowers' and 'No Surface All Feeling' is a triumph and what makes the Manics such a great band.  Whilst it's not my favourite record of theirs it's probably the best, as it's the one where they found the right balance of sugar and pill.

This Is My Truth - 7.  The first six tracks are superb then it all turns a bit workmanlike (ironically, at song seven: 'I'm Not Working') - though I do love the overall mood of the record.  First worrying signs of Wire's muse having dived headfirst off the Severn Bridge, with 'S.Y.M.M.'.

Know Your Enemy - 6.  Less an album, more a collection of songs - some wonderful ('Let Robeson Sing'; 'Intravenous Agnostic'; 'Ocean Spray') some dogshit terrible ('Wattsville Blues'; 'Royal Correspondent').  Not quite a grand folly, but certainly a confused mess.

Lifeblood - 7.  Some of the best music James has ever written hamstrung by some of the worst lyrics Wire has ever written.

Send Away The Tigers - 2.  Make it stop!  Just make it stop!

Journal For Plague Lovers - 9.  Forget the "well, it's great for what passes as a Manics record these days" apologetics - I think this is a fantastic album on its own merits.  And I fully expect the next one to be a bag of shite.

Custard

As much as I love EMG, it's one of those records I've heard so many times that I actually think I've overplayed it a bit, and now never really feel the urge to listen to it.

See also: Sgt Peppers, The Bends, and Morning Glory.

Whereas the Manics last two records I keep coming back to. And Holy Bible. That gets at least a play a month.

purlieu

Quote from: Beagle 2 on July 28, 2010, 03:11:17 PM
It's a pretty shit pop song though. I don't think they're really any good at pop songs. They're good at rock songs, and sometimes they're good at big choruses. But when they go all out cheese like this, it just sounds bad. In fact, it sounds like "You're my Darling Angel" by Shaggy at the start.

I really liked So Why So Sad because it was something interesting sounding that was different to the shouty rock I love, not just default pop mode with added fucking string section. But this just sounds as tossed off as Forever Delayed.
Although this argument is going to go around in "I think this"/"I think this" circles forever, I can't even fathom what's going on here.  I find their "rock songs" largely embarrassing shite.  And Forever Delayed is among my favourite Manics songs.  I think they write tremendous pop music and ruin it all when they try and rock out because turning up the volume, removing the hooks and adding another guitar solo is, I find, the perfect formula to make the worst music ever.  Make it nasty, ugly, spikey, dark and moody, sure (The Holy Bible), but the last two albums have been lazy attempts at sounding 'revitalised' and ending up sounding about as relevant as The Foo Fighters.

Generation Terrorists - 4
Gold Against The Soul - 2
The Holy Bible - 9
Everything Must Go - 8
This Is My Truth - 6
Know Your Enemy - 6
Lifeblood - 8
Send Away The Tigers - 1
Journal For Plagued Lovers - 3

Custard

Where do y'all stand on the various remixes of Manics tracks?

I really like The Avalanches take on So Why So Sad. Really fluffy n poppy n light.

Another favourite would have to be the Stealth Sonic Orchestra Remix of The Everlasting. I find it quite downbeat in tone and moving, and JDB's great vocal is pushed even more to the forefront. Stirring stuff. Though their attempt at A Design For Life does nothing for me.

I like Massive Attack's reworkiing of If You Tolerate This, but I reckon David Holmes' version just about edges it. They used to use it as their intro-tape at gigs, and although at 10 minutes it goes on a bit, its pretty ace.

Also, anyone heard the JFPL remix album? I really should get round to it. New Young Pony Club's "Wire Up" mix of Marlon J.D. is decent, and that's all I've heard i think.

purlieu

I'm fond of most of the EMG/TIMT remixes actually, think they made some great choices.  The Chemical Brothers pulled out something special for Everything Must Go, Jon Carter's remix of Kevin Carter is fucking ace, and Justin Robertson's Lionrock remix of Australia is basically a Lionrock track with a couple of vocal samples (which is a good thing in my book).  I really enjoy both Tolerate remixes and Deadly Avenger's version of The Everlasting might be my favourite of the lot.
The Stealth Sonic Orchestra ones are a bit iffy - I agree on The Everlasting, and I like the sinister jazzy versions of Kevin Carter they did, but the others are kind of naff.
After that they go downhill though.  The Let Robeson Sing remixes seem really pointless, particularly Felix Da Housecat's electro house version which seems about as unsuited to the track as possible.

edit: OH the Saint Etienne remix of There By The Grace Of God.  Utterly sublime.

PaulTMA

purlieu

The phrase "rocking in Cuba like a Manic Street Preacher" is more than enough thank you.  Not listening to that ever again.

PaulTMA

Quote from: purlieu on August 01, 2010, 09:49:46 PM
The phrase "rocking in Cuba like a Manic Street Preacher" is more than enough thank you.  Not listening to that ever again.

I thought "JDB is flying a kite" was the stand-out line in that rap.

quadraspazzed

Mein Gott, that was embarrassingly terrible! Never actually listened to the 'Forever Remixed' CD in full so that had passed me by until now. Shocking.

As remixes go, my hands down favourite is the Chemical Brothers remix of 'La Tristesse Durera' (or Dust Brothers as I believe they were at the time). Shame their 'Faster' remix is terribly dull. Also a big fan of the Avalanches remix of 'So Why So Sad', as someone else already mentioned.

Anyway, my humble verdict on the new single is that I really quite like it. Didn't at first, but then I always initially dislike the first single off any given Manics album, dating back to 'A Design for Life', and end up loving it. The only exception being '...Richard Nixon' which I loved instantly as I recall. So yeah, I like the single - just ordered the 2xCdX1x7" bundle from the website, and am looking forward to the album immensely.

Reading through the thread, I don't understand the hate for SATT and JFPL. SATT especially, it's a fun album and I really like it, though I admit it took me a while to get into it (I recall slagging it off upon first listen to the leaked tracks on here way back). In that way I think its similar to KYE, 'Royal Correspondent' and 'Miss Europa' aside. 'Lifeblood' on the other hand, I think is a terrible album - even though I like most of the songs on it (and don't actively dislike any of them) and will often listen to them individually on a whim, I just don't think it fits together as an album for whatever reason.

purlieu

I think Lifeblood is marvellously structured, it's pretty intentionally laid out as a pop album - opening with the four singles (or so they would have been if it was released in 1996), slower songs in the second half, big finalé.  It's possibly a bit contrived, but they made it an out-and-out pop album on every level.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

That is a terrific awe-inspiring piece of audio vandalism by Ian Brown there. Actually physically laughable.

purlieu

The 'Let Robeson Sing' CD2 disc is one of the worst things ever.  Not only is the actual track a pretty forgettable single, it's backed with that Ian Brown monstrosity, then Felix Da Housecat's inherently misguided attempt at making an MOR ballad about a famous black civil rights activist into an vocoder-led electro house anthem.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owAo1wqg6_U
Then you have the whopping bonus of not only a live version, but an enhanced CD video of the same live version.

I missed the second plane hitting on 9/11 to go to town and buy the fucking thing.

Custard

Hahaha thats absolutely honking.

This is really short (30 seconds) but i'm guessing its quite rare.

JDB breaking into GNR's Paradise City

http://www.sendspace.com/file/j8bit6

Can't remember where i got it from. A live bootleg from the EMG period, maybe.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteI missed the second plane hitting on 9/11 to go to town and buy the fucking thing.

How oddly fitting.

chocky909

Paul Robeson was guest of honour at my Grandparent's wedding. I'm not sure why and now they're dead so I may never know.

Anyway, I was always very fond of the Chem's remix of Faster. Shits all over the Everything Must Go remix I reckon...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NQXAo9qnHY

...which a lot of people know from the GT 1 intro...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGH3uG4gGI4&feature=related

...and lastly of course the Mogwai remix of You stole The Sun From My Heart. Luvverly...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3329848/12%20You%20Stole%20the%20Sun%20From%20My%20Heart%20%28Mogwai%20remix%29.mp3

purlieu

Oh, no, the Faster one just sounds like they played the track through a tinny radio in the studio while working on a b-side.  The EMG one is a whole different beast...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMrKd1VNEow

Custard

I'll have to give the Chems remixes another go. Heard them once or twice, but years ago.

I remember Nicky Wire wasn't a fan of them, and ended up being quite rude about it in the NME. The Chems didn't remix them again hehe.

Spiteface

Quote from: Shameless on August 03, 2010, 11:42:46 AM

This is really short (30 seconds) but i'm guessing its quite rare.

JDB breaking into GNR's Paradise City

http://www.sendspace.com/file/j8bit6

Can't remember where i got it from. A live bootleg from the EMG period, maybe.

That's an interesting one.  I have heard JDB doing Paradise City before, on the Past/Present/Future tour in 2005 when it was the Motown Junk intro.  Interestingly, Motown Junk was the set-closer that year, and traditional last song "A Design For Life" was played second song in.  An unusual setlist, that made for an ace gig.  First time I got to see them with a second Guitarist, as Guy Massey had been touring with them since the "Lifeblood" tour the previous year.  Best decision the band ever made.

Custard

Yeah, i've always found A Design For Life a bit out of place as the set-closer, really. When they shout out that its the last tune for the night everyone just wants to jump about and go a bit nuts, and well, that track doesn't really allow you to do that does it! I dunno, i've always found it a bit clunky, placed at the end. Motown Junk, You Love Us, or Faster works much better in that position.

The SATT tour was brilliant in terms of ever-changing set-lists. I think every night was different. Was really refreshing for a big band to do that. Sadly it obviously led to some great tracks being left out on certain nights, and if you were only seeing the one gig it could be quite frustrating. I think they left out EMG, Australia, and No Surface All Feeling when i went. I like Sleepflower, but not over them! Heh.

quadraspazzed

Here's two curiosities for y'all (I may have posted them in the generic Manics thread a few years ago, but sure no harm)

1. Enola/Alone-which-breaks-into-Lost-in-the-Supermarket-and-then-back-to-Enloa/Alone-and-has-a-naughty-slip-of-the-tongue-at-the-end-on-Radio1 (acoustic)

2. 4st7lbs (acoustic)

I have a big bunch of bootleg (mainly bad quality and taped off the radio) acoustic tracks that I got somewhere off the internet a few years back, I can u/l if there's interest (though again, I may have posted the lot in the other thread).

Ronnie the Raincoat

purlieu

Haha, wow.
On the subject of Motorcycle Emptiness, who here missed the 2003 version when it almost came out?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTGR6w0N2Vo

El Unicornio, mang

I hadn't seen the Little Baby Nothing video until the other day, it's actually pretty good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUaytvw9AaM

Helps that it's one of my top 5 Manics songs though