Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,576,469
  • Total Topics: 106,648
  • Online Today: 708
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 02:27:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Fallout: New Vegas [split topic]

Started by surreal, June 05, 2010, 01:53:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

surreal

Bumped to post the gameplay footage of Fallout:New Vegas from E3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fpjdP6DsV0

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Groovy. The only complaint I have based on that is that the animation in the dialogue bits still looks a bit wooden. I hope they manage to add a bit more character into it before release.

surreal

Ignatius_S

I saw at the weekend that Steam are offering a pre-order bonus pack – and after having a look, there will be four packs in total from different outlets.

Classic Pack (Gamestop)
Armored Vault 13 Suit
Weathered 10MM Pistol
Vault 13 Canteen
5 Stimpaks

Tribal Pack (Amazon)
Tribal Raiding Armor
Broad Machete
5 Bleak Venom doses
10 Throwing Spears

Caravan Pack (Steam and Walmart)
Lightweight Leather Armor
Sturdy Caravan Shotgun
4 Repair Kits
Binoculars

Mercenary Pack (Best Buy)
Lightweight Metal Armor
Mercenary's Grenade Rifle
3 Super Stimpaks
3 Doctor Bags

http://www.giantbomb.com/fallout-new-vegas/61-25933/

QuoteHardcore Mode

One of the new features announced for Fallout: New Vegas is the new difficulty setting called 'Hardcore Mode'. The mode can be toggled on and off at any time in-game. In Hardcore Mode the player must regularly drink water to remain hydrated, ammo will have weight, and stimpaks & radaway heal over time as opposed to healing instantly in other modes. Also, stimpaks cannot be used to heal crippled limbs. The only way to treat crippled limbs in hardcore mode is to visit a doctor. The enemies also behave more intelligently in hardcore mode. It is also possible to heal crippled limbs using a
doctor's bag.
This covers pretty much all my main complaints about Fallout 3. Of course I'll probably play it and find it too difficult, but it's a promising sign (from my perspective at least).

Looks like SPECIAL will make more sense this time too, with strength affecting big guns, melee and unarmed.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on June 14, 2010, 05:30:19 PM
This covers pretty much all my main complaints about Fallout 3. Of course I'll probably play it and find it too difficult, but it's a promising sign (from my perspective at least)...
Well, when it was first announced, judging by the comments of many, I think you most certainly weren't alone! Personally, with Fallout 3, it was the combat that I found got very easy – although I did use V.A.T.S. a lot – particularly by the time I levelled out. With the new Hardcode mode, it made me think it might be quite fun to be able to tinker with options and not just go the whole hog where all those things are harder.

Quite a few sites covered about Hardcore mode a little while back – where was that quote from? I had also read that with this mode there will be no tutorials... a nice touch and certainly would be leaping in the deep end with the new combat system.

A few sites have said that as well as karma, your actions will influence your reputation level as well, which could be interesting.

The wiki has said that players will get a new perk every two levels, but that might changed.

Very much looking forward to this, but I really want to play Fallout 3 again, but with a mod or two and the DLC, so I suspect I won't be getting it when it's out.

Mister Six

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on June 14, 2010, 05:30:19 PM
This covers pretty much all my main complaints about Fallout 3. Of course I'll probably play it and find it too difficult, but it's a promising sign (from my perspective at least).

Looks like SPECIAL will make more sense this time too, with strength affecting big guns, melee and unarmed.

That's an old screenshot - they've taken out the Big Guns category. Weapons are now sorted into explosive, bullets, energy and melee. Flamethrowers get lumped into energy for balancing reasons.

Though I think strength still factors when you're hefting miniguns, etc (big guns in lower-case, as it were).

Custard

Not long to go, then. 22/10 we gunna get ourr wasteland shooty-uppy shizknot onnnnnn.

QuoteExperience all the sights and sounds of fabulous New Vegas, brought to you by Vault-Tec, America's First Choice in Post Nuclear Simulation. Explore the treacherous wastes of the Great Southwest from the safety and comfort of your very own vault: Meet new people, confront terrifying creatures, and arm yourself with the latest high-tech weaponry as you make a name for yourself on a thrilling new journey across the Mojave wasteland.

QuoteDescription:

Welcome to Vegas. New Vegas.
    It's the kind of town where you dig your own grave prior to being shot in the head and left for dead...and that's before things really get ugly. It's a town of dreamers and desperados being torn apart by warring factions vying for complete control of this desert oasis. It's a place where the right kind of person with the right kind of weaponry can really make a name for themselves, and make more than an enemy or two along the way.

As you battle your way across the heat-blasted Mojave Wasteland, the colossal Hoover Dam, and the neon drenched Vegas Strip, you'll be introduced to a colorful cast of characters, power-hungry factions, special weapons, mutated creatures and much more. Choose sides in the upcoming war or declare "winner takes all" and crown yourself the King of New Vegas in this follow-up to the 2008 videogame of the year, Fallout 3.

Enjoy your stay.

KEY FEATURES:

* Feel the Heat in New Vegas! Not even nuclear fallout could slow the hustle of Sin City. Explore the vast expanses of the desert wastelands – from small desert towns to the New Vegas strip – and see the Great Southwest as could only be imagined in Fallout.

* Feuding Factions, Colorful Characters and a Host of Hostiles! A war is brewing between rival factions that will change the lives of everyone in New Vegas. The choices you make will bring you into contact with friends and foes, and determine the final explosive outcome of this epic power struggle.

* New Systems! Enjoy new additions such as a Companion Wheel that streamlines communication with companions, a Reputation System that tracks your actions, and the aptly titled Hardcore Mode. Plus, special melee moves and real-time combat mechanics give you new ways to fight.

* An Arsenal of Shiny New Guns! With double the amount of weapons found in Fallout 3, you'll have more than enough exciting, new ways to deal with the threats of the wasteland. In addition, a new weapons configuration system that lets you tinker with your toys and see the modifications in real time.

* Let it Ride! In a huge, open world with unlimited options you can see the sights, choose sides, or go it alone. Peacemaker or Hard Case, House Rules or the Wild Card – it's all in how you play the game.

Fallout New Vegas Debut Trailer [HD]

Fallout: New Vegas Demo - IGN Live E3 2010

There's only a handful of game franchises i genuinely get excited about, and this be one of them.

I only bought Fallout 3 at the end of last year, and its now easily somewhere near the top of my favourite games list. Loved it, loved it, loved it. Pissed aways hours on the bleeder.

Love the look of the Vegas they've created for this, and can't wait to bitch-slap a few nutty dogs whilst roaming around in it. Also the thought of new characters and missions is making me all a-trembly knee'd.

What's going on here then?!

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/videogames/detail-page/1066AwesomeDeathRay.jpg

Can't bloody wait.

Jack Shaftoe

Put off by the minigames there, I'm afraid. This whole 'putting loads of smaller games within the main game' thing is becoming increasingly annoying. Also they're often just too easy, as if the designers panicked at the last minute that they might put people off.

Mister Six

Come on, it would be a bit weird to go to Las Vegas and not have any gambling!

Jack Shaftoe

Yes well you say that like you've made some kind of good point.

Spoiler alert
Which you have, obviously.
[close]

Edited to add: I am enjoying Fallout 3 though, which I got for £15 from Asda - pretty good I thought. Really got more into it once I'd picked up a couple of followers, and it started to feel I had an old school D&D type party going. Still haven't got the hang of the lockpicking bit though (see previous whinge).

I'd love to see a UK-based Fallout, mucking about ruined London with a Fifties-style stiff upper lip, helping Guardsmen restore the Royal Family (or hindering them, obviously) or whatever.

Mister Six

Yeah - a London Fallout is a fantastic idea, though they'd probably have to jump through hoops to explain how things like the Super Mutants made it to the UK. There's a lot of potential there, though.

Glad you're enjoying Fallout 3. The DLC is largely very good too. It's one of those games that I never really got bored of, I just ran out of game to play. Hopefully F:NV will be the same.

surreal

Cannot wait for this, I'm almost done with Broken Steel on F3, having done Point Lookout as well.  Now level 30 with a friendly Super Mutant in tow I'm pretty much invincible, so looking forward to a fresh start.  Never really liked RPGs until I got into F3, but I have the original Fallout now too so will start playing that soon.

Mister Six

Make sure you install the patches - the original Fallout games are riddled with bugs otherwise (if you bought it from one of those newfangled retro games websites then it may already have the patches installed).

Big Jack McBastard

Looking forward to this, even though I understand it's using the same engine as the last one, I'm still interested to see what they do with it. Hope it's got the legs of it's predecessor.

Viero_Berlotti

I'm a massive fan of Fallout 3. It's probably my favourite game of this console generation so far. Two years on from buying, I've completed it but I'm still loading it up when I'm bored with other games and finding new locations in the DC wastelands to explore.

The thing with New Vegas is, I don't mind the Vegas bit and the gambling mini-games as long as the desert outside Vegas is vast and empty but at the same time is chock full of hidden and sublime things to discover.

I loved the bleak, empty but completely immersive wastelands of Fallout 3. New Vegas looks as if it will be a bit more lively, but I just hope they don't leave the compelling expansiveness behind completely.

surreal

Anyone planning to get the Collectors Edition,with the playing cards, poker chips, graphic novel and "making of" dvd?

if you pre-order you get some in-game extras too, different ones from different retailers.

The question for me now is which format to get it on. My PC could run Fallout 3 fairly respectably, but would I be better off with the 360 version?

Mister Six

Depends how much you prefer the 360 controller. Frankly I'd get the PC one if I had a good enough rig, simply because it would give me access to the fan-made content (and to the editor, though I'm a bit past bothering with that stuff now).

AsparagusTrevor

Plus it will be about 10-20 quid cheaper, and you'll still have the option to play with a pad.

Mustow Green

I loved Falllout 3, (vanilla), and salivate at new Vegas but I'm torn.  I loved the initial game so much, I spent hours roaming that wasteland, hunting Yo Gui Bears, tactically battling deathclaws after the main campain was finished but then I bought, (and traded F3 in), the Game Of The Year edition.  That was a disaster.  True, the new segments were fun but if your game data was anywhere near 10MB it went into glitch hell.  I know I wasn't the only one with this problem and despite mailing Betesda regarding this I, and others, were ignored.  Was this just for PS3 users?  I don't think so, I'm sure I read this went across platforms?  ANyone here have/had this issue?  Were you able to solve it?  My character is stuck in an old church somewhere near Germantown police HQ at level 27.

Fuck. I was going to get the G.O.T.Y. edition of Fallout 3 on ps3. You're not the only person reporting severe problems/crashes with that game. That's put me right off trying it out now!

Mister Six

I've not heard of any problems on the Xbox, but I never got a chance to download all the DLC anyway.

Garfield - don't be put off F3 as a whole; grab a copy of the non-GOTY version cheapish if the bug's an issue, because you're missing out on a truly brilliant game.

Quote from: Mister Six on September 09, 2010, 12:23:40 AM
Garfield - don't be put off F3 as a whole; grab a copy of the non-GOTY version cheapish if the bug's an issue, because you're missing out on a truly brilliant game.

Might just do that. Normally I'm not one for role-playing games (action or not), but I've read too much good stuff about Fallout 3 to ignore it at this point.

Do be prepared for frustration at first, though. The early stages of the game are a bit of a catch 22: you can't easily go exploring without ammo, medkits and decent stats, but you can't get those without exploring.

Big Jack McBastard

Ignatius_S

What's people's opinions about in-game pre-order bonus items?

I was chatting to a friend about it with Dragon Age, as his wife got it when it first came out and thought made a good point – they're handy to begin right at the beginning but normally lose their usefulness quite quickly.

With these Fallout ones, none appear to be exclusive and can't say I was bother when I first saw them.

Quote from: surreal on September 05, 2010, 01:32:29 PM
Anyone planning to get the Collectors Edition,with the playing cards, poker chips, graphic novel and "making of" dvd?...
Normally, I'm a bit of a cheapskate but look enviously on such things. F3 has various packs I think, one or two exclusive to the states – this one was announced a few months ago and maybe each country will get the same release.

When I had a look when you posted about it, initial reports said it would be $80 (I think the vanilla version was $60) – looking at Game and Gamestation, it's £50 for the PC and £70 for the consoles.

As I say, I'm a bit of a cheapskate but I love F3 – I think it's got to be one of my all-time favourites and if my enjoyment is anything like that with this one, I'm going to get more than fifty quid's worth. However, I am a cheapskate...

Quote from: surreal on September 05, 2010, 01:32:29 PM
if you pre-order you get some in-game extras too, different ones from different retailers.
I had a look at a promotional box in Game, the other day and bonus items are the Classic pack listed above. Having a look at Gamestation, it's the Mercenary one

Mister Six

The collector's edition packages look like fun, but I know that the plastic trinkets will end up cluttering up my place and be put to no good use. The making of DVD sounds fun, but I imagine I'll be able to borrow it off a mate or download it eventually anyway (and I expect they won't bother going into the stuff that interests me: all the decisions about changing the skillsets and working out what did and didn't work in F3).

Big Jack McBastard

They'll probably end up releasing all the extras guff through Live eventually anyway.