Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:39:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Fallout: New Vegas [split topic]

Started by surreal, June 05, 2010, 01:53:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viero_Berlotti

Quote from: Ignatius_S on November 09, 2010, 02:02:41 PM
Given there are graphical bugs that were in Fallout 3, I don't think another six months would have removed them!

It's not the graphical stuff I really have a problem with. I bought Fallout 3 about a year after it had been released and have only ever played it fully patched, so that's where my problems with NV might lie. There's been plenty of bugs during quests where things don't really seem to gel or make sense. The quests just don't seem to be as tight as in Fallout 3, that's something I think they could have got right given more time.
Spoiler alert

The most recent one I spotted was during the quest in Boulder City where you have to rescue the NCR soldiers from the Great Khans. I used a stealth-boy and sneaked past the guards and set the NCR soldiers free. The NCR dudes then just legged it out straight past the Great Khan guards. I fully expected the Great Khans to start shooting the soldiers and for the back up team of NCR soldiers to return fire. The Great Khan's didn't bat an eyelid, even though their captives had just escaped right in front of their eyes. I had to start shooting at the Great Khan's to goad them into action. There have been plenty occasions on other quests when things like this have happened and it takes the shine off the game for me.
[close]

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Viero_Berlotti on November 09, 2010, 03:03:55 PM
It's not the graphical stuff I really have a problem with. I bought Fallout 3 about a year after it had been released and have only ever played it fully patched, so that's where my problems with NV might lie. There's been plenty of bugs during quests where things don't really seem to gel or make sense. The quests just don't seem to be as tight as in Fallout 3, that's something I think they could have got right given more time....
Sure – it was just with the graphical stuff that there were legacy issues, some of which might have expected to have been cleaned up (that said, I'm not sure how doable) but also they're more apparent.

I played F3 after it was patched, so I can't comment on what it was like beforehand – with this one, I can't say I've experienced any bugs that marred quests... had they, my attitude would be very different!
Spoiler alert
With that one you mentioned, I did the mission using the dialogue one and it worked a treat. Next time I was, however, thinking of taking a different approach as it sounded more challenging – so having something that you had would be quite a shock!
[close]

It was the PS3 version you're playing, wasn't it?

I think it the PC version that the combat AI has room for improvement. For example, if I snipe an enemy from a distance, someone who find the body runs away for several yards, then runs back before continuing to do what they had been doing.

But the quests don't seem to be giving me problems, fortunately.

Big Jack McBastard

Quote from: Ignatius_S on November 09, 2010, 02:32:45 PM
I'm not sure how many items this applies to, but have found with some you make more money selling 2-3 things in okay condition than one in perfect or great condition. I need to experiment with this more, but found something similar with the Fallout 3 – however, I don't think this is the case for all items.

True enough, a general rule of thumb I use is if what you're repairing won't be improved by around 18% or more in the repair window then you might as well sell the two items separately (if you've the space to carry them).

small_world

OK...

So, I'm nearly at the end of the main quest. I haven't finished it yet, so I don't know what happens... But, I'm pretty sure, no matter what, I'd want to continue the game. Also, I'd like to complete some of the outlying quests lines having completed the main story. In games like Oblivion, it's fun completing the other missions once you've completed the main quest. Otherwise, you finish the main quest and just kind of wonder around with no purpose.

I'd also guess that, to enable the release of DLC, there'd be an option to continue from the main quest.
So WHY end it?

Viero_Berlotti

Quote from: small_world on November 09, 2010, 05:36:37 PM
So WHY end it?

So you are forced to buy the DLC if you want to continue the game with the character you completed the main story with? That's exactly what they did with Fallout 3 didn't they? You had to buy 'Broken Steel' if you wanted to carry on after finishing the main story. They just made some bullshit storyline up about your character surviving. Saying that you can always complete the game to see the ending and then just go back to an earlier save if you want to finish all the side quests.

Not sure whether this is the case with New Vegas as I have been avoiding all spoilers about the ending.

small_world

So I started a new game.
The name's Brutus. I'm a blunt weapon, brain mashing caveman. I'm going to play through the game as a member of the legion.
But, in my main game I came across The Legion at the relevant point in the story, is there a way to join them earlier?

surreal

New patch available from Steam for PC.  Fixes:

- Companions now show up as waypoints on the map
- Companions will always fast travel with you, unless told to wait or sent away
- Fix: DLC error/save corruption
- Fix: Stuttering with water effects
- Fix: Severe performance issues with DirectX.
- Fix: Controls temporarily disabled after reloading Cowboy Repeater while crouched
- Fixed crash using the Euclid C-Finder while having the Heave Ho perk
- Fix: Entering the strip after Debt Collector causes crash and autosave corruption
- Fix: Using Mojave Express dropbox can cause DLC warnings
- Fixed crash when buying duplicate caravan cards from a vendor in a single transaction
- Crafting menu should filter valid (bright) recipes to the top of the list
- Fix: Sitting down while looking down a weapon's ironsights leaves player control locked
- Fix: If a companion is knocked unconscious with broken limbs they stay broken on respawn
- Fix for varmint night scope effect persisting in kill cam
- Fix for giving companions armor that adds STR does not increase their carry weight
- Fix NPC Repair menu displays DAM as DPS
- Having NPC repair service rifle with forged receiver decreases CND

Viero_Berlotti

Apparently there is a comprehensive patch due soon for all three platforms. I think I'm going to stop playing this until it has been released.

I encountered more bugs last night. I'm supposedly 'vilified' by the Legion but whenever I encounter them in the wastelands they are not hostile towards me. Also I couldn't complete the 'Debt Collector' quest as when I went back to the person who set me the quest, the dialogue option to finish it was missing, so I had to 'lie' about completing it even though I had finished all the tasks associated with the quest.

I don't think I'm going to buy a game like this on release day again. I think it's always best to leave it 6 - 12 months so they can get them fully patched and working properly.

kittens

Just completed it.
Spoiler alert
Annoying that you can't carry on, even though there's no good reason for that, story-wise. I had a fair bit more to do as well. I didn't expect them to pull that same trick again.
[close]

Custard

I really need to get back into my game. Due to starting a new job this week, and general lifery i've just not found the time to devote to it lately.

Last time i played i'd arrived outside the strip and
Spoiler alert
just taken The King's dog for a walky.
[close]

Btw, is it just my copy, or does anyone else on Xbox notice severe lagging when you first arrive outside the strip? Hope that gets ironed out in the new patch. I've also got stuck behind walls/scenery a handful of times, with seemingly no way out, which was reet annoying.

Mister Six

Quote from: Viero_Berlotti on November 11, 2010, 02:22:31 PM
Apparently there is a comprehensive patch due soon for all three platforms. I think I'm going to stop playing this until it has been released.

Same here. Probably longer, actually, unless I can be arsed to take my Xbox round to a friend's house and use their web connection to get the patch. Bloody BT and their 'taking forever to connect a fucking phoneline' shenanigans.

It must be rubbish for people without any web access though.

small_world

To Kittens, what did you think of the end? I whizzed through the last few missions to have a look today. I have a save game that I'm going to play from, but I just wanted to see what the end was like...

Below in the spoiler I'm going to be writing about the end of Fallout New Vegas... So, no peeking,

Spoiler alert
Ho hum. Not much action, and no where near as exlopivey as F3. I know it's not a shoot em up, but I just thought they could have done a bit more. I don't really play the game for the action anyway so it's not a massive let down. And no where near as much of a let down as not being able to continue the game. There IS no reason for it.
[close]

But I'm nowhere near even half way through the game in real terms, so I'm gonna bum around and do my normal thing. THEN re do the ending, hopefully in time for the DLC that will allow continuation,,,,

kittens

Spoiler alert
I'm pretty sure there's at least three different endings, but in mine I chose to help the NCR. I was pretty disappointed by it, really. The main goal of it was to kill Legate Lanius, a character that was barely mentioned beforehand in the game. I thought once I'd killed him I'd get to move on and kill Caesar, but no, apparently killing a character that played very little part in what was actually going on was deemed a fitting ending. And then there was the extra disappointment of not being able to play on afterwards as well. It was just all such a let down. Saying that however, it was a fucking good fun game, and I'll probably play it a load more times anyway.
[close]

Big Jack McBastard

There's 4 endings, well 4 endings with a variety of caveats depending on what you did or didn't do with companions/factions/places etc.

Spoiler alert
Help NCR
Help The Legion
Help Mr House
Help Yes Man
[close]

I'm trying to think of a way of breaking the game by killing everyone I encounter and, even then I'm pretty sure you'd have to be onside with at least the NCR or Legion by the end, though I suspect the Legion would be more inclined to have you, what with there being much more in the way of NCR fodder round Vegas.

Spoiler alert
Legate Lanius and General Oliver seems to be the final choice you can make, that or House and Yes Man but you can do both of them in far earlier.
[close]

Little Hoover

Hmm I went for a rampage on the legion camp and just murdered them all, and Caesar. (Which is bloody difficult, I needed a lot of stimpacks, used other meds, 2 other assistants, and I sort of cheated a bit by going in and out of doors and the confusion this causes the game seemed to help me win. But then was told, that it won't do anything to affect the legion. It's a bit frustrating because I don't really want to side with anyone.

Little Hoover

hmm slightly disappointed with the ending because I just felt like I wasn't even sure what I was choosing or I wasn't getting options I thought I was and I worry that some kind of glitch was ruining things.
Spoiler alert
So I was going the yes man route, and he tells me to meet with all the families to decide who I wanted to stick around and who I might want kicked out of vegas, but it seemed the only way to move the story on was to tell him that I wanted them all ignored, It didn't seem to give me an option to say I didn't want them ignored, which is strange and I worry that it's a glitch, or it wanted me to do something else, but it wasn't making that clear. Also I'm just annoyed I couldn't do some kind of combination of the four main endings. I wanted to help yes man, but also not totally kick out the NCR and keep hold of them in some limited capacity, it sort of tackles that at the end, but I'm still annoyed I couldn't quite get the option to offer some kind of deal with them, because I wanted to co-operate with them, but not let them completely rule the Mojave and the strip if that makes sense. Anyway I've got so many alternatives and sidequests to explore, that maybe it'll start make sense when I look into that more, but I just felt like it wasn't letting me choose the options I wanted.
[close]

surreal

I can confirm that the patch for the PC has improved things immeasurably - I've gone from running it at 1280x960 in medium detail ( to try and stop the framerate dropping) to back to 1680x1200 in Ultra settings.  No problems so far apart from one crash I suspect was caused by Steam and my internet connection dying.

It's like F3 for me now, which is great.  Roll on the uber-patch to hopefully mop any other issues up

Little Hoover

Anyone been to vault 11? I hear there's some serious glitchy problems, so be careful, but that's not why I mention it. You go there as part of a brotherhood mission, but you don't have to wait until then. Going there becomes it's own sidequest where you investigate the mystery of what happened there. It's just really great that they left something so atmospheric and darkly humorous fairly hidden away.

Ignatius_S

Another round-up of mods – this time, 25 in number. I'm not sure about the 'no bullet bending' one – despite the claims that this is more realistic, it doesn't sound like it does to me, but in any case, it's meant to make things rather too easy.

Quote from: Big Jack McBastard on November 09, 2010, 04:48:44 PM
True enough, a general rule of thumb I use is if what you're repairing won't be improved by around 18% or more in the repair window then you might as well sell the two items separately (if you've the space to carry them).
Ah, that's been working a treat – thanks!

Quote from: surreal on November 14, 2010, 05:20:02 PM
I can confirm that the patch for the PC has improved things immeasurably - I've gone from running it at 1280x960 in medium detail ( to try and stop the framerate dropping) to back to 1680x1200 in Ultra settings...
I haven't notice any real changes (I'll be charitable and put the slight increase in crashing down to other things) – however, I did install a mod very early on, which is meant to help the game recognise your graphics card exactly and improve the framerate, so I wasn't having any problems with that.

small_world

Quote from: Little Hoover on November 15, 2010, 12:08:00 PM
Anyone been to vault 11? It's just really great....

I'd say the same for Vault 22.
Like I've said I'm not a huge fan of FPS games, but this part had me on the edge of my seat.
Spoiler alert
I went in with a few weapons and not much else. Luckily I had a flamer with me, as, for Vault 22, for me it was like a section of Alien... I would clear a path with the flamer, making sure to check for movement.
There was one part, in a bathroom, I swung open a few doors, thought everything was clear and then BOOM. Scary stuff.
[close]

I advise taking a flamer, and turning the pip-boy light off.

Consignia

Hey bargain hunters, Fallout New Vegas is on sale for £23 on gameplay.co.uk for PS3/360. I think may even be £10 cheaper on the PC. I'm sure there was deals thread here somewhere, but I thought any potential buyers would be interested here.

Ignatius_S

First DLC has been announced - 21 Dec and Xbox only at this stage.

Quote from: small_world on November 15, 2010, 08:25:54 PM
I'd say the same for Vault 22.
Like I've said I'm not a huge fan of FPS games, but this part had me on the edge of my seat.
....I advise taking a flamer, and turning the pip-boy light off.
Shotgun and marching with impunity worked for me! I thought it was a cracking section and really wish it had been longer.

small_world

So, I like collecting weapons and armour and rare items...
I do it in all RPG's. And ever since Morrowind, toward the end of  the game, I find a house, and use it to display all of the things I've collected through the game.
Wow, I'm glad I've let that out. It's a bit sad, but hey...

So, to give you an idea of what I mean, here's something similar to what I had going on in Oblivion...

My Oblivion Skingrad Home, Rare Item Collection on the Xbox360

Does anyone else do this?
And if so, does anyone know of a good house/room to do this in New Vegas?
Oh, and I'm on the 360 so can't use mods. And I'd prefer somewhere I can fast travel straight to. That's one of the main reasons I don't want to use the lucky 38.
And I don't mind killing current residents.

Cohaagen

I know people have been banging on and on about the innumerable bugs, but two aspects of the latest patch caught my eye...

Quote# Fix: Sitting down while looking down a weapon's ironsights leaves player control locked
# Fix: Controls temporarily disabled after reloading Cowboy Repeater while crouched

...because the patch actually inflicted these problems on my install, and seemingly a hell of a lot of other people's too if the Fallout wiki is anything to go by. I actually had to laugh at how criminally hopeless Obsidians playtesting and QC is.

Viero_Berlotti

I think the seemingly arbitrary nature of some of the bugs in this game are probably why it's taking them so long to fix it. With some people reporting no bugs, some people not even being able to play the game at all, and then some like yourself who have been getting more problems after a patch has been downloaded.

I think when this supposed super patch comes out I am going to uninstall all game data and start from scratch with this. I've heard some of the bugs might stay in your old save game data, but that could just be people talking bollocks on an internet forum. I think a fresh start with it would be good anyway.

Zetetic

Quote from: small_world on November 21, 2010, 12:11:23 AM
Oh, and I'm on the 360 so can't use mods. And I'd prefer somewhere I can fast travel straight to. That's one of the main reasons I don't want to use the lucky 38.
I'm guessing the room in
Spoiler alert
Novac
[close]
, if you've got it, is too small and dark.

Big Jack McBastard

Quote from: small_world on November 21, 2010, 12:11:23 AM
So, I like collecting weapons and armour and rare items...
Does anyone else do this?

In Morrowind I used a table top in my Televani tree-house to create a Moon and Star mosaic using nothing but gems I'd looted, it filled the whole table and looked quite spiffing once it was done, though I spent far too much time getting that right.

And in Fallout 3, I had a collection of intact Garden Gnomes and Nuka Cola trucks adorning my Megaton pad and filled up the shelves with odd, one off items, usually kept the armour and weapons in storage though as they'd occasionally have the annoying tendency to fall through the bastard floor.

As for houses, using the 38 can be a pain in the arse with all the loading screens just to get in and out, though the terminal as you enter your floor can be handy for selling a couple of grands worth of crap as it's money refreshes every now and then.

There's a few remote safehouses used by various factions, Legion,  NCR, Brotherhood and (I think) the Followers of the Apocalypse have one, though you'll have to butter them up and jump through the odd hoop to get access. I suppose you could also use Nipton town hall as a base (no-one around), though I can't remember what the set-up is like there.

small_world

Yeah, the room in Novac is a bit small and dark. As are most of the safe houses. If only the Brotherhood one was  a bit bigger, it'd be perfect.
The 38 is well sized, but not really adorned with the right kind of display tables and benches.
The hall in Nipton is alright, but a bit big. I really want to fill somewhere. The best place I've found so far is the Camp Golf main building, but I'd have to clear it of bodies. And even then the upstairs is a bit too big...
The search continues.

And Jack, I'm glad someone else does this. I too spent ages on Morrowind, I had all my armour laid out in one chamber, all my weapons in one all my gems and other shiny things in another... And once I'd laid out the last chamber I went back to check out my good work, only to find that the armour and weapons had moved from their careful, painstakingly and time consumingly exacting locations and become swept together in a loot bag.
CUNT.

Viero_Berlotti

Apparently the new patch is out tonight at midnight for PS3 in Europe, tomorrow for the PC and next week for 360.

small_world

What does it cover?
I don't normally keep my xBox online. I might hook it up for this, I haven't downloaded anything since I've had F(NV).