Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:50:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Fallout: New Vegas [split topic]

Started by surreal, June 05, 2010, 01:53:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

small_world

Quote from: Cohaagen on October 09, 2010, 08:46:18 PM
Finding a nook in some rock face, I mined the entrance and approaches (enemies can, rarely, attack you whilst you sleep), set up the new portable bed, prepared some food on the food grill (decreases food rads) and hunkered down until dawn. I know I've made it sound a bit like a camping simulation and a pain in the arse, but it's not at all like that.

I LOVE the sound of that. I was thinking of starting an extra hard game, and trying to live like that. There are loads of games on the market that allow you to run around and blast shit up for hours on end. But I like a bit of a break from that.
Unfortunately my PC isn't up to running something like that, so I'm stuck with the normal xBox version... Still good though. And I hope that NV involves some of that real-life needing to eat and drink aspect. Bloody hell, include it and allow it to be turned off in the specs...

Mister Six

That's exactly what they're doing!

Man, reading stuff like this makes me feel gutted that you can't have fun mods like this on the Xbox. I'd kill to be able to use this gun again:

small_world

Quote from: Mister Six on October 10, 2010, 12:07:27 PM
That's exactly what they're doing!

Then I am happy...

Wasn't there an idea around the time of the 360's launch that it would be possible to play over xBox live and to link up to PC users online gaming sites? I'm sure I remember something about it.
Surely the next gen consoles will have full web access and will allow the mods that have made PC gaming what it is.
We can but hope.

glitch

Quote from: small_world on October 10, 2010, 01:06:59 PM
Wasn't there an idea around the time of the 360's launch that it would be possible to play over xBox live and to link up to PC users online gaming sites? I'm sure I remember something about it.

I think that can be done but I've only heard it going ahead with Shadowrun.

Surely the next gen consoles will have full web access and will allow the mods that have made PC gaming what it is.
We can but hope.

Doubt it, it'd kill/reduce the revenue streams from DLC :/

Mister Six

Quote from: glitch on October 11, 2010, 12:32:31 PMDoubt it, it'd kill/reduce the revenue streams from DLC :/

It's nothing to do with that (otherwise Fallout 3 wouldn't have come with an editor) - it's, on the Xbox at least, an issue with Microsoft not wanting to be responsible for having viruses/dodgy material uploaded to their servers, and ensuring that whatever does get uploaded complies with their XBLA rules. Interface issues probably also play a part. Going from 100+ buttons to 16 is a tricky thing.

Cohaagen

Quote from: small_world on October 10, 2010, 12:15:50 AM
I LOVE the sound of that. I was thinking of starting an extra hard game, and trying to live like that. There are loads of games on the market that allow you to run around and blast shit up for hours on end. But I like a bit of a break from that.
Unfortunately my PC isn't up to running something like that, so I'm stuck with the normal xBox version... Still good though. And I hope that NV involves some of that real-life needing to eat and drink aspect. Bloody hell, include it and allow it to be turned off in the specs...

The PC I''m using at the moment is pure shit and on the lower limit for hardware requirements (3.0G P4, 1.5GB RAM, 80G hard drive, a fucking PCI 8500GT graphics card - that's old PCI, not Express), and I can run F3 on low-mediumish settings fine with all my mods. The framerate isn't great, but it's not a slideshow by any means. It's not a pretty game anyway.

Marv Orange

Quote from: small_world on October 10, 2010, 01:06:59 PM

I remember reading this not happening due to the differences between control systems. Basically using a mouse in FPS's is more accurate than a control pad which would give pc users an advantage. I think there is an article on Kotaku about it somewhere.

Hanslow

Today I made a cheeky attempt at getting this game early. I went into a independent game shop and asked would they be willing to sell me it before the release date. No luck, they weren't in possession of any copies themselves. They have offered me pre-release date games in the past mind. Looking forward to this one now.

Viero_Berlotti

Be careful with those reviews. Some of them are very spoilerific...........

EDIT TO ADD: Can't wait for hardcore mode though, should add an extra strategy element to the game because you'll really have to plan those missions. Plus melee combat becomes more important in hardcore mode because ammo has weight now.

The thing is I don't know whether to start playing on hardcore mode straight from the off, or just play through on hard first?

small_world

I'm not a massive shooter fan, I prefer exploring and following the stories, to the point that I played morrowind, oblivion and fallout 3 on very easy. Only switching when I felt like a real challenge.
I do think that hardcore mode will be a totally different thing though, I'll be playing the game in hc mode from the start. I think if you start the game without it, adjusting to hc at a later point will seem like a hassle.

I also think I'm going to play as a wanderer for a good few hours, being a real bad ass and only once I've opened the map up, begging the main quest.

I bloody can't bloody wait for this bloody game.

Custard

I'm wetting myself (both ways) for this game now. More than any game i can remember.

Oh, and here's a load of nice wallpapers they've just put up - http://fallout.bethsoft.com/eng/downloads/wallpapers.html

Zetetic

Having, ahem, solved the European-specific issues with the game as it stands, I think it's wonderful. Buggy (in both the 'oh, it's the same engine as FO3' way and in the 'why is that woman pretending to type on an invisible computer' way), but fun. I'm currently finding it easier to die than in FO3, but that could be because I haven't rolled a very gun-competent character for this playthrough. There's a much greater sense of things actually mattering compared to FO3, and giving a shit about the main/driving quest is actually possible.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Viero_Berlotti on October 19, 2010, 09:37:40 PM
Be careful with those reviews. Some of them are very spoilerific...........
If you've read nothing or very little about the game, that's a very good point.

Although a bit more detail is given in a few reviews (e.g. why two factions dislike each other), if you've read a fair few preview articles, then I wouldn't say there's no real surprises.

The biggest spoiler for me in the reviews probably when some examples of your companions were given – but to be honest, even that didn't come as a massive surprise and it's the kind of thing reviews do normally mention.

Quote from: small_world on October 19, 2010, 10:11:21 PM
...I do think that hardcore mode will be a totally different thing though, I'll be playing the game in hc mode from the start. I think if you start the game without it, adjusting to hc at a later point will seem like a hassle. ...
I was thinking about that myself but I'm wondering about doing hardcore mood on a second replay as I'm sure I'll want to play it more than once.

Quote from: Zetetic on October 20, 2010, 12:37:16 PM
Having, ahem, solved the European-specific issues with the game as it stands, I think it's wonderful. Buggy (in both the 'oh, it's the same engine as FO3' way and in the 'why is that woman pretending to type on an invisible computer' way), but fun. I'm currently finding it easier to die than in FO3, but that could be because I haven't rolled a very gun-competent character for this playthrough. There's a much greater sense of things actually mattering compared to FO3, and giving a shit about the main/driving quest is actually possible.
Must confess, I actually really enjoyed the main quest in F3 but disappointed it was so short.

When you say "a much greater sense of things actually mattering compared to FO3" is that to do with the choices you make having a noticeable impact on how the game plays out?

With the bugginess, do you think they should have sorted out the engine more? A couple of the more negative reviews seemed to be down on the game so far.

At the moment, anything that you think is especially great?

Zetetic

Quote from: Ignatius_S on October 20, 2010, 01:35:35 PM
When you say "a much greater sense of things actually mattering compared to FO3" is that to do with the choices you make having a noticeable impact on how the game plays out?
It's not even that, or at least not so far. (Although there are pointers in that direction.) I simply even meant that I've actually been able to feel dislike and like towards characters and factions in the game.

QuoteWith the bugginess, do you think they should have sorted out the engine more? A couple of the more negative reviews seemed to be down on the game so far.
It's been perfectly playable for me. For better or worse, I've come to accept that games of this scale and complexity won't be polished to perfection; it doesn't stop it being enjoyable or wonderful. Some stuff will be fixable in patches.

QuoteAt the moment, anything that you think is especially great?
The faction system is a vast improvement over the relatively blunt instrument of karma (which is still there, but as a largely secondary concern). The companions have been more interesting, indeed as have how I've gained them. I'll note that I'm not even inside the strip itself yet.

As regards hardcore mod:
Spoiler alert
It's not very hardcore. At worst I've become 'slightly peckish', 'oh, is that the time?' and 'barely-perceptibly-thirsty' at various points. I don't know how much it interacts with difficulty level though; it's quite possible that at hard+hardcore, it's much more effective. The healing-over-time vs. instant-healing hasn't mattered much, because it just means you hide for 30s. More problematic is not being able to de-cripple limbs as easily.
[close]

Viero_Berlotti

I've always read lots of criticism of the apparently bug ridden PS3 version of Fallout 3, with some people going as far as saying it was virtually unplayable.

I don't see the problem though, in over 150 hours of play I think it's crashed about twice for me, and there's the odd graphical or AI glitch here and there but nothing that you wouldn't find in other games of this scale.

I've heard some grumbling about the bugs in New Vegas, but fully expect it to be not as bad as has been written.

Zetetic

One thing that I'm quite missing is an explicit housing system. Or rather, being able to believe if that I dump my stuff in the chests of an abandoned farmhouse, that it'll still be there when I come back. It's quite possible that this is the case (or at least that Obsidian has picked obvious locations to act as save-houses), but alas FO3 trained me otherwise.

small_world

Ok, so I have an original xbox 360, one of the first to come out in the UK.
My friend has a newer 360, something like the elite.
His picture quality is far superior to mine.
Apparently the original/older Xbox's lack the HDMI slot that the newer ones come with.
What can I do?
Is this relavant? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817146
Or do I need to sell my old xbox and buy a newer one with an HDMI slot?
I'd love to have better picture quality for the Fallout NV release.

Zetetic

Quote from: small_world on October 20, 2010, 08:21:44 PM
Ok, so I have an original xbox 360, one of the first to come out in the UK.
My friend has a newer 360, something like the elite.
His picture quality is far superior to mine.
Apparently the original/older Xbox's lack the HDMI slot that the newer ones come with.
What can I do?
Is this relavant? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817146
Or do I need to sell my old xbox and buy a newer one with an HDMI slot?
Assuming your TV supports 1080p either via component or VGA, then if your Xbox is fully updated then you'll have (to all intents and purposes) the same video quality. (This is contrary to the knowledge base article, and only applies to games as regards component). You're best off trying with VGA, if you can find an Xbox 360 VGA cable adaptor cheap enough, and assuming that your TV has a VGA port.

If your TV doesn't support 1080p via component or VGA, but does support it via HDMI, then yes, you'd have to sell your Xbox 360 and buy a better one.

(My entirely unhelpful advice would be to buy it for PC, not least for the modding. And by for the modding, I largely mean to have certain fixes in a timely manner - for examples sniper rifles and VATS was largely broken in vanilla FO3 for quite some time.)

small_world

Hmm. My TV is a Samsung ws-32z419d.
It doesn't appear to have a VGA port. It does have an HDMI port though, and a place for all those AV component leads....
I suppose while I'm on I shoud really think about updating my TV.
And I would get it for PC, but I enjoy just lounging on the setee and playing a half hour every now and again.
I got Oblivion for the PC a while after I'd completed the Xbox release. Maybe I'll do the same with New Vegas.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Zetetic on October 20, 2010, 04:22:42 PM
It's not even that, or at least not so far. (Although there are pointers in that direction.) I simply even meant that I've actually been able to feel dislike and like towards characters and factions in the game...
Thanks – later it did occur to me that in all likelihood, as it's early days, that that kind of thing wouldn't be so apparent but the relationship of factions and how decisions may change your standing sounded particularly interesting to me.

...It's been perfectly playable for me. For better or worse, I've come to accept that games of this scale and complexity won't be polished to perfection; it doesn't stop it being enjoyable or wonderful. Some stuff will be fixable in patches...
Gah – sorry, I left a bit out. More than a few reviews commented upon bugginess, but (probably) the two most critical reviews seemed particularly miffed that it uses an old engine (but this was a given) and that existing bugs haven't been worked out, and it was particularly that element I was wondering about, rather the usual version 1.0 bugs.

In F3, I don't know how many patches had come out before I got it, but it was pretty solid and the graphical glitches (like the one you mentioned) never got to me.

One of the PC reviews I read said basically, just save/autosave a lot and you'll be fine, which is all I need to know. That said, I'm probably not going to get it just yet... unless I weaken.

..The faction system is a vast improvement over the relatively blunt instrument of karma (which is still there, but as a largely secondary concern). The companions have been more interesting, indeed as have how I've gained them. I'll note that I'm not even inside the strip itself yet.

As regards hardcore mod...
That's interesting to read – as I say, I think the idea of factions done in this way and the system sounds interesting, especially in combination with the karma one. In F3, although I liked companions now and then, generally I prefer to go it alone, but I'm intrigued to see what they're like and how they work.

Ta for the feedback about hardcore.

Quote from: Viero_Berlotti on October 20, 2010, 04:38:56 PM
I've always read lots of criticism of the apparently bug ridden PS3 version of Fallout 3, with some people going as far as saying it was virtually unplayable...
From what I heard, this bad rap was exaggerated but my impression was that people's experiences quite varied. For example, one bug that some seemed to get, but others didn't, was that the game was briefly froze when a notification came up on the screen.

Did you do any of the DLC? As that seemed to be a real bugbear for people in the PS3.

Viero_Berlotti

Quote from: Ignatius_S on October 21, 2010, 02:10:34 PM
Did you do any of the DLC? As that seemed to be a real bugbear for people in the PS3.

Yes, now you mention it I think one of the times the game crashed was when I was moving form the main map to one of the DLC maps, but apart from that it was pretty smooth.

Custard

Is there literally any chance of this selling out tomorrow? I'm gonna head to the shops at lunchtime, bout 12 or 1. Surely there'll be loads left?

Cos if there isn't, I MAY CRY.

(Sorry, this may have been brought up already, but I'm steering clear of recent posts as I wanna play it not knowing anything about it)

Johnny Textface

^ I pre ordered just in case at the local Gaystation. Mrs Textface is out all day saturday - think it'll be an early start for me (on the couch with a pad) Oh yeah! Brings on the V.A.T.S action.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Viero_Berlotti on October 21, 2010, 02:51:15 PM
Yes, now you mention it I think one of the times the game crashed was when I was moving form the main map to one of the DLC maps, but apart from that it was pretty smooth.
Ah, that's interesting – as I say, just going on what I read or had been told, it seemed to me that experiences did vary a fair bit. Have to say, although some unlucky folk seemed to have genuinely terrible problems some of the complaints I read, I thought said more about expectations that a game should be 100% - I wonder if this was because it was a console version.

Quote from: Shameless on October 21, 2010, 03:02:45 PM
Is there literally any chance of this selling out tomorrow? I'm gonna head to the shops at lunchtime, bout 12 or 1. Surely there'll be loads left?

Cos if there isn't, I MAY CRY.

(Sorry, this may have been brought up already, but I'm steering clear of recent posts as I wanna play it not knowing anything about it)
If you can YouTube that, then leave it to chance.

Otherwise, why don't you phone a shop and get them to put one aside? I can't see it being sold out totally, but would play it safe...

Custard

Yeah, i reckon that'll be the best bet, ta. Sorta fancied finding the best price in the different shops, but it's probably gonna be the same everywhere, isn't it?

So excited, though. Been replaying Fallout 3, and its whetting the wasteland whistle, so it is.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Johnny Textface on October 21, 2010, 03:20:09 PM
^ I pre ordered just in case at the local Gaystation. Mrs Textface is out all day saturday - think it'll be an early start for me (on the couch with a pad) Oh yeah! Brings on the V.A.T.S action.
Risky - she might be miffed not being able to witness how good you are at the game. Mind you, you could always video yourself playing and you could watch it together - going further, you could give also a running commentary when viewing so it would be like doing a DVD commnentary just for her, how cool would that be?

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Shameless on October 21, 2010, 03:25:09 PM
Yeah, i reckon that'll be the best bet, ta. Sorta fancied finding the best price in the different shops, but it's probably gonna be the same everywhere, isn't it?

So excited, though. Been replaying Fallout 3, and its whetting the wasteland whistle, so it is.
Yeah, I can't think of it being much difference.