Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:15:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Dead n**ger Storage

Started by copylight, June 06, 2010, 02:56:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Yes, that's what I thought.

It's pretty clear through the context, and the delivery of the word what its meanings and intentions are.

It might be a little uber-cool and showoffy, sure- I mean if it seems that way now, it really must've been in the 90's. However it's also crediting the audience with some level of sophistication re: the interpretation of modern culture/dialogue, and that's commendable.

In Scrubs I always see the jokes about race as affectionate, light-hearted and modern. They created a universe which isn't plagued by racists. It's like a reflection on how they'd rather things were. Good on them. Having an issue with what Scrubs does is your problem, not theirs.

Mr Colossal

Quote from: Stanley Turbine on June 06, 2010, 06:46:53 PM
Scrubs isn't a documentary though, does Zach Braff actually call Donald Faison "brown bear" in real life?

Isn't that the Jim Davidson excuse?  Does Tarantino call people n**gers in real life?  I dont know...  Judging by the way things like garden state seem to be the most contrived, translucent attempts at trying to convince the world he's some misunderstood 'outsider'- I can only transplant a similar level of self-awareness to his scrubs output and perceive it as an extension of his fantasy personality... 

Im not accusing Braff of harbouring racist views...  its just echoing the sentiments of the spike lee quote and saying like the Tarantino issue in the OP he's another white boy who likes to 'go there'.  Personally, like most of his humour,  it makes me cringe a little... But If a black person actually said they found it uncomfortable would you say that was their problem?  harmless it may be,  but is it his place to go there?  reminds me of the emily issue in big brother a bit.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I hated the way on The Terminator, Arnold Schwarzenegger attempted to convince me he was a cyborg from the future. He wasn't even a cyborg from the past. Or a black cyborg. It was disappointment city, I can tell you.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteBut If a black person actually said they found it uncomfortable would you say that was their problem?

To a certain extent. Writers and performers aren't at the behest of everyone they could potentially offend. The chances of entering the subject of race and not offending someone is practically zero. You have to have the confidence in your script and your performers to put it across as well-meaining and fun as Scrubs unflinchingly is.

Stanley Turbine

Quote from: Mr Colossal on June 06, 2010, 07:28:56 PM

Isn't that the Jim Davidson excuse?  Does Tarantino call people n**gers in real life?  I dont know...  Judging by the way things like garden state seem to be the most contrived, translucent attempts at trying to convince the world he's some misunderstood 'outsider'- I can only transplant a similar level of self-awareness to his scrubs output and perceive it as an extension of his fantasy personality... 

Im not accusing Braff of harbouring racist views...  its just echoing the sentiments of the spike lee quote and saying like the Tarantino issue in the OP he's another white boy who likes to 'go there'.  Personally, like most of his humour,  it makes me cringe a little... But If a black person actually said they found it uncomfortable would you say that was their problem?  harmless it may be,  but is it his place to go there?  reminds me of the emily issue in big brother a bit.
Tarantino wrote and directed Pulp Fiction as well as acted in it. I was asking why you think it is that a person whose role in the production of the show is primarily as an actor is the one responsible for those "brown bear" sort of lines?

Depressed Beyond Tables

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on June 06, 2010, 04:00:51 PM
Also, this deleted scene reveals he is a pretty nasty individual

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjXhaXbT9cc

The most annoying part of this is the eating and drinking during conversation. Tarantino, while being somewhat original at times, tends to over use certain techniques into the fucking ground.

Cos that's how cops would act, yeah? Well anyone talking with their mouth full of fast food is a tool.

Spare me.

Mr Colossal

Quote from: Stanley Turbine on June 06, 2010, 08:07:15 PM
Tarantino wrote and directed Pulp Fiction as well as acted in it. I was asking why you think it is that a person whose role in the production of the show is primarily as an actor is the one responsible for those "brown bear" sort of lines?

well I've always assumed and got the impression that like David Mitchell's character in peep show, Braff pretty much has artistic liscence and plays JD as 'himself'.  I thought his off screen relationship with the guy that plays turk was one of the biggest factors in the writing, and the fact that he later went onto write and direct himself, suggests he's likely to have  had a lot of 'input' with his characterisation, or at the least be comfortable with it.

mr. logic

Quote from: Mr Colossal on June 06, 2010, 10:34:44 PM

well I've always assumed and got the impression that like David Mitchell's character in peep show, Braff pretty much has artistic liscence and plays JD as 'himself'.  I thought his off screen relationship with the guy that plays turk was one of the biggest factors in the writing, and the fact that he later went onto write and direct himself, suggests he's likely to have  had a lot of 'input' with his characterisation, or at the least be comfortable with it.

Nah, I don't think so: Braff was unknown going in to Scrubs, hardly in a posistion to be making demands of his character, and JD and Turk's very first interaction revolves around whether it would ever be okay for a white person to rap along to songs with the N word in them.

Scrubs, for all its faults and utter shitness after a point, has always felt spot on with race.

Desi Rascal

I was seaching for the old Pam Grier article in which she defends tarrantino's use of the word n**ger, when i came across this article which seems kind of pertinent http://www.womanist-musings.com/2010/04/n-word-and-children.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_KKyw8V-l0&feature=player_embedded#!

Tiny Poster

Quote from: mr. logic on June 07, 2010, 12:42:48 AM
Nah, I don't think so: Braff was unknown going in to Scrubs, hardly in a posistion to be making demands of his character, and JD and Turk's very first interaction revolves around whether it would ever be okay for a white person to rap along to songs with the N word in them.

Scrubs, for all its faults and utter shitness after a point, has always felt spot on with race.

Also, they actually point out how 'Brown Bear' is context-based, in an episode where JD calls another colleague by that name and gets short shrift.

In my line of work we categorize race by IC codes, so crackers are IC1's, darker skinned European's are IC2's, brown bears are IC3's, Asians IC4's, Orientals IC5's and Arabs IC6'S.

Ality Atwo

Quote from: confettiinmyhair on June 07, 2010, 08:25:43 PM
In my line of work we categorize race by IC codes, so crackers are IC1's, darker skinned European's are IC2's, brown bears are IC3's, Asians IC4's, Orientals IC5's and Arabs IC6'S.

I worked that out from ten years of watching The Bill.