Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:56:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Blu-ray Releases

Started by Artemis, June 07, 2010, 03:21:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glebe

Quote from: Nuclear Optimism on August 05, 2013, 11:42:34 PM
Are the further tinkerings as annoying as people say?

No, haven't noticed anything in particular, although apparently Jedi has some of the worst changes (again!), haven't watched that yet. The steelbooks don't include the extras (apart from commentaries, which are just ported over from the DVDs). Have yet to pick up the Prequel Trilogy steelbook, Phantom Menace is notorious for it's overuse of DNR but Sith apparently looks fabulous.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Glebe on August 06, 2013, 12:27:34 AM
Have yet to pick up the Prequel Trilogy steelbook, Phantom Menace is notorious for it's overuse of DNR but Sith apparently looks fabulous.
If you'd like, you can give me the price of them and I'll just come round and punch you in the groin for 6 hours.

I've been pondering replacing a few of my films with blu-rays, but there are some very feature-poor blu-rays out there. The Faculty and The Usual Suspects are good examples (The Usual Suspects is even weirder, as its DVD release is absolutely packed with special features, none of which made it to the blu-ray).

Kane Jones

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on August 06, 2013, 01:31:45 PM
(The Usual Suspects is even weirder, as its DVD release is absolutely packed with special features, none of which made it to the blu-ray).

This is the main reason I've hung onto my DVD copy despite owning the blu-ray. Also, I don't think the blu-ray transfer is particularly impressive. It strikes me they just rushed it out. I wouldn't be at all surprised if there's a 'bells and whistles' version in the not too distant future with a remarkably better picture and sound transfer.

Custard

The original Carrie is out on Blu-bums soon, and not only has a nifty cover, but has a pretty nifty price too

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00AN6HEQY/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?qid=1375947017&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX110_SY190

Famous Mortimer

Looking at my old DVDs, I notice the Dutch version of "Dawn of the Dead", which was bought after extensive research (at the time) about which version had the longest running time, etc.

Is there a similarly decent / definitive version of "Dawn" on bluray yet? Anyone recommend a version?

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on October 15, 2013, 07:06:26 AM
Looking at my old DVDs, I notice the Dutch version of "Dawn of the Dead", which was bought after extensive research (at the time) about which version had the longest running time, etc.

Is there a similarly decent / definitive version of "Dawn" on bluray yet? Anyone recommend a version?

I'd be inclined to suggest the Arrow release – it has three versions, a lot of extras  and its stuff tends to veer towards the excellent. If extras are your thing, the Anchor Bay version has some additional contact but, IIRC, only has the theatrical version.

Famous Mortimer

I agree, but fuck me it's 39 quid!

Looks like I'll have to wait for a re-issue or something. It's not like I was desperate to watch it this week, so that's good. Agreed also on Arrow's films - loved "Vamp", and I have a few of their others.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on October 15, 2013, 06:29:21 PM
I agree, but fuck me it's 39 quid!

Looks like I'll have to wait for a re-issue or something. It's not like I was desperate to watch it this week, so that's good. Agreed also on Arrow's films - loved "Vamp", and I have a few of their others.

Blimey - that's gone up a lot! There's a seller on Play.com doing it for £23 - when I was looking into this (for a friend's birthday), it was quite cheap!

mcbpete

Does anyone know how to play A Field In England bluray on a PC through VLC player? It's the only bluray I can't get to work through it. It's a properly shop bought disc - No shenanigans. Something to do with the encryption keys being too new for my player?

Custard

Glebe

There's a steelbook version of the new Time Bandits release out... new transfer is supposed to look fabulous, too.

Custard

RoboCop in nifty steelbook edition news

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00H45FLVC/cab-21/

Ordered. UP YOURS JANUARY BLUES

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Shameless Custard on January 03, 2014, 01:41:25 PM
Robocop in nifty steelbook edition news

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00H45FLVC/cab-21/

Ordered. UP YOURS JANUARY BLUES
I wish Amazon would bother listing the special features on the discs they sell.

Custard

It would help, wouldn't it!

Says it's been remastered, mind, and has lovely artwork, so that's me in.

Glebe

My Blu-ray steelbook collection, no particular order:

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Minority Report
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo
Oldboy (recently received a remastered 10th anniversary edition, bah!)
Star Wars: The Original Trilogy
The Evil Dead
E.T.
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Extended Edition

Famous Mortimer

I don't doubt you can find the information, I just wish the main site that sold the damn things would bother telling you what else you could expect. But that would involve them employing someone extra.

phantom_power

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on January 07, 2014, 09:14:50 AM
I don't doubt you can find the information, I just wish the main site that sold the damn things would bother telling you what else you could expect. But that would involve them employing someone extra.

No, i quite agree. That was the first thing I thought when I saw the original Amazon link. That made me have a look for the actual features and when I did I thought I would save anyone else interested the bother of looking themselves. I am sure they used to list the special features more than they do now.

Lt Plonker

The Annie Hall blu-ray has some serious syncing issues - very noticeably (to me) with the timing of the 'thought' subtitles, which appear far too soon and often disappear hastily. They're also dreadfully rendered too. Such a shame and such a bizarre oversight.