Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:33:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Blu-ray Releases

Started by Artemis, June 07, 2010, 03:21:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil_A

Quote from: biggytitbo on July 16, 2010, 07:44:44 PM
I don't know but my new telly has a very peculiar frame interpolation feature that makes films and 'filmic' stuff like Doctor Who look like video. Which makes the Dark Knight look like the one show, its really incredibly odd.

I've noticed this while watching my friends' posh HD telly. It makes films look very peculiar indeed, and I'm not sure I care for it much.

Santa's Boyfriend

What is it about HD that sometimes makes the picture blur when the camera pans?

El Unicornio, mang

I noticed that too. I wondered if maybe it's just more noticeable because of the high definition of the image?

Ja'moke

I got a new Sony Vaio laptop last week, with a built-in Blu-ray player, so I've just been browsing this thread to see what the best Blu-rays discs are. I'm thinking of getting Up, Wall-E, and Planet Earth.

Also, David Lynch fans will be happy to know that Mulholland Drive comes out on Blu-ray next month!

mcbpete

Quote from: Ja'moke on July 31, 2010, 07:55:25 PM
Also, David Lynch fans will be happy to know that Mulholland Drive comes out on Blu-ray next month!
Hell yeah, that's fantastic news !

El Unicornio, mang

That is good news, and not just because I'll be able to watch the lesbian scene in glorious HD

Santa's Boyfriend

Shame about the fudged beaver though - it'll be clear as day on HD.

Artemis

MD is a rare day-one purchase for me. It's one of the movies I always dearly hoped would be released onto Blu. I'm also hopefuly for Ghost World and 12 Angry Men, although I don't imagine the demand will be as strong.

buntyman

Mulholland Drive came out on HD DVD a while ago and I was going to buy it when HMV were flogging them all off for about £4 until I read reviews saying there are no extras and the picture quality isn't much of an improvement from my DVD. I'd imagine the Blu Ray transfer will be much the same as I don't think there have been any major differences between the two formats with any other films.

Papercut

The picture quality looks pretty good to me!

Yeah, it was a bare bones release without any real extras. Reckon blu ray will be the same transfer if it is an optimum/canal plus release.

Artemis

Hopefully it'll include all the features on the double-disc DVD re-release. If not, I'm going to hang on to that one as well as ordering the blu-ray.

the midnight watch baboon

The Men Who Stare At Goats Blu Ray with a free copy of the Jon Ronson book is on Amazon for £10.93 if you fancy it.

Ja'moke

I got Up and Planet Earth, just waiting for my HDMI cable to arrive now.

VegaLA

Lucas announces Star wars films to be released on Blu Ray next year...

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/14/george-lucas-officially-announces-star-wars-on-blu-ray-in-2011/

However only the Special Edition version, definitely NOT the original edits.
Which means they'll be released approximately a year after the sales start to dwindle.

Artemis

I'll wait until a year after that then, when Lucas releases the 'ultimate edition' with both versions, housed inside an inflatable light saber.

El Unicornio, mang

Just wanted to come in here and say that the Psycho (1960) Blu-Ray is fantastic. Check out the DVD vs BR comparisons

Top two are DVD, bottom is Blu-Ray

From: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdcompare6/psycho.htm

Queneau

I mentioned a while ago, in a separate thread, about Chaplin's The Great Dictator and The Kid getting Blu-Ray releases. The good news is that Modern Times and The Gold Rush are coming out on August 23rd. If that wasn't enough The Third Man is out on September 13th. Hooray!

Famous Mortimer

I've been looking at multi-region-ing a player, because there's seemingly a lot of stuff which hasn't been released in Britain yet. Crank, for one, which I saw on the ITV HD channel a few weeks ago. If those fuckers can get hold of a better-than-DVD copy, then why can't we? But there's loads of stuff, and it's not even price. I respect the companies who are bunging them out region 0 (Wild Bunch, The Hannibal Lecter Collection, and Fast Company are sat on my shelf at the moment) but it's an unnecessary pain in the arse when certain films aren't being released here.

It seems awfully expensive to do it to a player, and not all of them work, and you still have to mess around with the handset every time you put one in from a different region...looks like I'll wait. Or buy an American PS3, or something. Not sure.

Check your local HMV for one of these players, you may get lucky:

http://hcc.techradar.com/reviews/new_reviews/exclusive-review-hmvs-maidston-blu-ray-player-offers-multi-region-compatibility-

(Although do read the comments about the April firmware update apparently disabling multiregion support.)

Alternatively, I'm sure there's a particular branded player (could be Philips, I'm not 100% sure right now) that allows you to flash it with the US firmware, so if you want a guaranteed, hassle-free way of playing Region A BRs then that would do the trick (and be cheaper than a US PS3). I'll see if I can track down the details tonight.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Queneau on August 19, 2010, 07:27:13 AM
...If that wasn't enough The Third Man is out on September 13th. Hooray!
I hope it's going to be as good as the Criterion release, which has been discontinued. This latest blu-ray one is by Studio Canal, whose DVD versions weren't as top-notch as Criterion (again, discontinued).

Artemis

Anchorman is getting a decent release in about a month's time. It'll be available everywhere as well (unlike in America, where it's a 'Best Buy Exclusive'). Thankfully it's got both the theatrical and unrated edition on it, and seems packed full of extras, including the second movie made up of all the unused footage. I'm really looking forward to this one - I love this movie as a comedy.

EDIT: Also, the complete six seasons of Lost are being released as a set in two goes - one later this month, and a premium set on 11th October, which includes all the extra toys and stuff you get in the US release. Weirdly, the premium set is cheaper at the moment (£142 as opposed to £150) despite you the fact you get lots more stuff with it. Still a lot to pay for a BD release, but it's six whole seasons (plus extra bonus disc)

Quote from: Ignatius_S on August 19, 2010, 10:55:39 AM
I hope it's going to be as good as the Criterion release, which has been discontinued. This latest blu-ray one is by Studio Canal, whose DVD versions weren't as top-notch as Criterion (again, discontinued).

There's a review of it here: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDReviews8/thirdman.htm

The overall result is that the Studio Canal Blu-Ray isn't as good as the Criterion (and, annoyingly, lacks English subtitles for some reason) but it's still a solid release and is in no way a disappointment; it's only really inferior due to Criterion's high standards (and apparently the audio track is slightly better than on the Criterion disc so, y'know, that's something at least).

Quote from: Artemis on September 02, 2010, 05:53:54 PM
Thankfully it's got both the theatrical and unrated edition on it, and seems packed full of extras, including the second movie made up of all the unused footage.

Have you seen Wake Up Ron Burgundy? If not then I wouldn't get too excited about it; it's fine as it goes but it's really no more than a glorified way of watching some deleted scenes (and includes bits from the original to pad it out to feature length). To be honest I was a bit disappointed when I watched it. But hey, the 2xDVD set only cost me a fiver including a whole bunch of extras so I'm hardly complaining, and £13 for the Blu-Ray ain't bad either.

Famous Mortimer

It's got one incredible scene (
Spoiler alert
where they're in the car and Champ professes his love for Ron
[close]
), one pretty brilliant scene (
Spoiler alert
where they're walking through the wilderness to get to the observatory
[close]
) and lots of sort-of okay scenes.

I don't know the genesis of the film, but it's pretty incredible that they either shot enough footage to be able to cut out an entire fairly major storyline and still deliver what's for my money one of the best comedy films ever; or they realised that storyline wasn't working and shot extra footage of the quality they did. The extra features on both discs are pretty brilliant too.

A minor addenda: I just got The 40 Year Old Virgin on blu-ray thanks to a gift voucher, and I think it has extra footage than even the most complete DVD version (I may be wrong). It's not as good as Anchorman but it's really bloody good, and the extras are as hilarious as the main feature (may not be a recommendation if you didn't like it, of course).

Santa's Boyfriend

The quality of footage from films in the 60s is really interesting on Blu-Ray.  The Ipcress File, for example, looked great but had a typically sixties quality in the colour that made Michael Caine look like he was wearing lipstick.  Overall the difference in film stock and the different impressions they make are much stronger on Blu-Ray I think.

surreal

Thanks for those - Aliens always looked crap, and upscaled from DVD to 1080p it looked horrendous, so I'm very glad they've done such a fantastic job at cleaning it up.  Roll on October 25th - man, that is gonna be one expensive month!!!

They've also announced the BluRay of Apocalypse Now

Apocalypse Now Blu-ray Disc Teaser Trailer

The 3-disc is a must-have

Famous Mortimer

The Redux version was absolute knackers, and just about every restored bit should have been kept out. Will it be that or the proper version?

Santa's Boyfriend

An tSaoi

Actually, it was. There was nothing lacking about the original version, and Coopola's insistence that he was reinstating material because the original was no longer shocking[nb]I could have swron he said something like that, but I can't find a quote to back this up. Take it as you will.[/nb] sounds like an excuse to make a quick buck off the deservedly cut scenes he had lying about. The French plantation scene is interminable, and while it's a nice premise, it's simply too unwieldy to sit in the middle of the film, as it completely ruins the pace. It's nothing more than a 20 minute diversion from the plot, that should have been included as a Deleted Scene on the DVD, not put back in.

I've got no problem with stealing Kilgore's surfboard and the extra Playboy Bunnies stuff, apart from the fact they neither add nor detract from the film. Kurtz reading from Time was alright, but again could have worked as a Deleted Scene. I can't even remember the other additions, they were so forgettable.