Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:08:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Aussie Four Lions screening & podcast with CM and Kayvan Novak [split topic] [merged]

Started by Tbazz Why?, June 11, 2010, 06:37:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tbazz Why?

Any Sydneyside CaB'ers heading to the Four Lions screening at the SFF on Sat night?

Groodle

Quote from: Tbazz Why? on June 11, 2010, 06:37:26 AM
Any Sydneyside CaB'ers heading to the Four Lions screening at the SFF on Sat night?

I will be there. I didn't realise the Sunday morning session included a public talk with Morris and Julian Morrow so I also booked tickets for that. Morris mentioned on Triple J yesterday that he'd been watching a lot of The Chaser's material in preparation and was now a "massive fan".

13 schoolyards

Any chance of anyone recording the Morris / Morrow Q&A? I'm not familiar with the SFF - do they do podcasts of that kind of thing?

(why would Morris have to prepare for a chat with Morrow? Surely it's Morrow's job to prepare... unless Morris is interviewing Morrow about the Chaser? Which "massive fan" or not,  I actually would fly up and pay to see)

Groodle

It seems quite polite of him, perhaps he doesn't want to show up and appear ignorant of their work.

I would record the talk but I lack the appropriate equipment. I think there are still tickets left, for those interested.

13 schoolyards

A friend of mine's in Sydney for SFF, but she has zero interest in Four Lions, sadly. It's the kind of thing I'd expect a podcast of if it was anywhere else, but Festivals are very big on getting people in the door - a podcast later doesn't help them at all with ticket sales. If you could post about what was said Groodle (or anyone else who goes), that'd be great.

(I'm still getting over the fact no-one managed to bootleg that live reading of his movie script Micallef did at a winter writer's festival a year or so back)

Thinking more about it, Morris interviewing Morrow sounds like a great idea: you always want the interviewer to be the sharper one of the duo (not that Morrow isn't smart, but...), and there's plenty that could be asked of / about The Chaser by someone who had zero stake in the culture wars crap that covers most ABC output. In contrast, it'd be interesting to hear how far Morrow goes in talking about Morris' pre-movie work, as you'd have to assume a lot of the audience would have no idea about it and no-one wants a Q&A that turns into "and then you did Brasseye - tell us a bit about that".

Bean Is A Carrot

For those interested, the interview with Chris Morris is available from here: http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/thedoctor/podcast/

EDIT: Didn't read the other thread. Idiot.

Groodle

Chris Morris was at the screening tonight where he introduced the film and the screening was followed by a Q&A where he was joined by Kayvan Novak. If the Q&A was advertised anywhere I wasn't aware of it and his attendance was a pleasant surprise to me. He was introduced by the director of the film festival and the introduction was the standard sort described elsewhere on this forum. The festival director began the Q&A by asking about his motivations for making the film and he appeared to embaress her by saying something to the effect of, "Do you want me to repeat everything I said in the introduction?" and suggested they instead go straight to questions from the audience, adding, "Am I being inappropriate?" The audience responded warmly to the film and those asking questions seemed to be familiar with his work. There seemed to be a large number of British people in attendance based on the conversations around me. I enjoyed the film very much and look forward to going again tomorrow.

A.A

"Do you want me to repeat everything I said in the introduction?"

Ouch. Funny, but ouch.

Tony Martin was on TV again for all of 25 seconds on Santo's show...showing the English goalkeeper how it should be done. I'm not minding it. Not a Sam Pang fan, but Ed seems pretty comfortable in his role.

SBS's obligatory technical difficulties seem to be keeping them all on their toes, too. 

13 schoolyards

Morris has never given off the impression that he suffers fools, and as the Australian media is comprised entirely of fools... well, I'm interested to hear how the session with Morrow went.

Cup Fever is decent disposable TV - the kind of thing we should be seeing instead of GNW and The White Room (oh, wait...). My total disinterest in soccer is a bit of a handicap, but not as much as I would have thought, so I guess that's a thumbs up from me too.

Groodle

Quote from: 13 schoolyards on June 14, 2010, 04:30:11 AMI'm interested to hear how the session with Morrow went.

I attended the screening as planned and brought a friend. Before the film Morris was standing outside the entrance of the cinema a few feet from me. He was conversing with the festival director and someone else and I didn't wish to bother him.

After the film there was a ten minute interval before the talk with Morrow began. I was eager to head straight to the bar where the talk was being held, but a friend I'd brought along was keen to have a cigarette beforehand. Despite some anxiety about securing seats (I'd been drinking in that same bar the night before and it is a rather small room) my niceness won out and I waited for her. By the time she was done we were told by the staff at the door that the talk was full. A rather disappointing end to a great weekend, needless to say, but my own fault for not being more insistent about things. Perhaps someone else attended and can fill us in?

13 schoolyards

Dang, that's a real shame (for you a lot more than us, obviously).  Hopefully someone else who attended will turn up and let us know how it went.

Bean Is A Carrot

That's rather poor planning from the organisers. Did they really think only a small number of people would wish to attend the talk?

Bean Is A Carrot

The only podcast I get from Triple J regularly is Sunday Night Safran, and for that they just cut the songs out. The Chris Morris one sounded like they'd done that.

JPA

Re the podcast - does that bit where they joke about technical questions suggest that Morris is going to appear on the DVD commentary?

Neil

I figured it meant he was just there, over-seeing it, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was involved with this one.

Not a bad interview, and I'm glad I was right about Waj being child-like, rather than stupid.  The accusations of stupidity in this film are very overblown.  Another dig at nerds, from Novak this time, and while it was quite well-performed, it was rather uninspired.  Then again, perhaps it just says more about me, that I thought 'well, that sounds like a perfectly reasonable question.'  He didn't extend it enough for it to become funny.  In fact, I was far more irritated by the vapidity of the interviewer during the first segment of the interview with Steve Akoi - 'you've released loads of rerords...how many exactly?' 

Brilliant to hear Morris in a proper radio studio again.  Good listen, enjoyed this.

Bean Is A Carrot

Quote from: Neil on June 15, 2010, 12:15:44 AMIn fact, I was far more irritated by the vapidity of the interviewer during the first segment of the interview with Steve Akoi - 'you've released loads of rerords...how many exactly?'

I enjoyed his clunky bit at the start of the Morris/Novak interview where he said how excited he was to meet Morris, and then later had to talk up Facejacker to appease Novak.

JPA

He ended up mentioning Shaun of the Dead for some bizarre reason when talking about Morris.

Pink Rhoid

I was at the premiere on Saturday night, was funny watching Chris tread on the festival director the way he did, "Am I being inappropriate?". I got in early for the Q&A on Sunday. Denton was there, Julian name-checked him, further stated that it was Denton who introduced The Chaser to Chris's work. Have no idea if that is a revelation or not? I was waiting for someone to ask Chris what he thought of "50/50 carparks" or something, and lo and behold, "Chris, have you ever thought about making a spherical film?" I can elaborate on the questions asked if anybody is interested? Provided I can remember, although it seems that Chris keeps getting hit up with the same questions. Julian did a good job though. Chris mentioned that early on he was thinking about casting Colin Farrell as a p**i, haha. Anyone else notice that Matt Stone is mentioned in the special thanks?

13 schoolyards

Having Denton introduce The Chaser to Morris might back up the story that the ABC had copies of The Day Today and were passing them around asking people to "make an Australian version of this". Which also explains why they never showed the original... after all, they sat on The Thick of It for years going so far as to run ads for it then not show it when The Hollowmen (which wasn't a knock-off exactly, but covered similar ground) suddenly turned up.

It'd be interesting to hear more about the questions, but as you point out, they do tend to be similar each times.

Neil

Posted by Bean Is A Carrot in the Aussie comedy thread:

http://mumbrella.com.au/the-chaser-meet-their-spiritual-father-28246

@blusterpolitik pointed me to some video footage of Morris in Sydney! 
Spoiler alert
Ripping into the people who gave shitty excuses not to fund the film!  Calling out other comedians for apologising for a controversial joke!
[close]
I was beaming at that.

http://media.smh.com.au/the-chaser-beaten-by-uk-satirist-1604037.html

Neil

I snipped out just the Morris and Novak segment from the Triple J show:

Chris Morris - Australian Radio station Triple J, with The Doctor - 11th June 2010

JPA, first time round I missed that the lens question was directed specifically towards Morris so, yes, looks very likely he'll be on the commentary this time.

samadriel

Groodle

Quote from: Pink Rhoid on June 16, 2010, 01:50:51 PMDenton was there, Julian name-checked him, further stated that it was Denton who introduced The Chaser to Chris's work.

That makes sense. One of the presenters of Hungry Beast told me that Denton showed them a bunch of Morris stuff for inspiration, he seems quite a fan.

Quote from: Pink Rhoid on June 16, 2010, 01:50:51 PMI can elaborate on the questions asked if anybody is interested?

Please do.

Groodle

Quote from: Neil on June 16, 2010, 08:38:36 PM
Spoiler alert
Calling out other comedians for apologising for a controversial joke!
[close]
I was beaming at that.

http://media.smh.com.au/the-chaser-beaten-by-uk-satirist-1604037.html

Thanks for that. For non-Australians, this is the Chaser sketch Morris was referring to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZw2Z7LJqxw

And the subsequent apology:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GQ8U-NQAxg

Bean Is A Carrot

Well done Morris, for saying that. The whole affair was ridiculous and the ABC caved in immediately to the controversy and basically forced the Chaser to apologise and be total wimps about it.