Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,185
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:42:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

2010 E3 Games Conference

Started by mobias, June 14, 2010, 10:01:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mobias

Don't know how many of you gamers are following the coverage of this years E3 games conference which has just kicked off in LA. Lots of good trailers already for upcoming games.

Deadspace 2 wins hands down as the most revolting games trailer I've ever seen http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhcZbErEv8w  Loved the original Deadspace (well ands truly the only game I've been genuinely scared playing) so really looking forward to the sequel.

Not a fan of first person shooters much but Killzone 3 looks incredible http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmMgmazsEEY

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Haven't MS unveiled their slimlne 360?

Also supposed to be more powerful somehow, so I suppose that may delay the release of a genuinely new console for..ooh, let's see. 5 years.

Slaaaaabs

Not more powerful, just has everything built in now (proper fast wi-fi). They renamed Natal to Kinect as well, and as expected they are going for the Wii market pretty ruthlessly. Same as Sony will with their glowing dildo wands.

Metal Gear Solid Rising gameplay was shown for the first time, watch it until the end as it does look very bloody good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oj-DUM5CjBg

mcbpete

Woah a virtual watermelon cutting simulator, looks exciting !

But anyways, supposedly there's going to be an announcement of Rez 2. I so bloody hope so, as I fell hopelessly in love with the original.

teaneck

Goldeneye is confirmed for the Wii this Christmas. Zelda looked good though the demo was a bit awkward.

pk1yen

The Zelda presentation looked awesome - though how there are always technical difficulties at E3 every year is beyond me.

I was fairly blown away by the 3DS, actually. 3D photography! I was watching while playing on my original DS from 2004, glad I hadn't forked out for a DSi at any point. Disappointed by no new Pokemon reveal, though.

buntyman

The thought of a 3D Mario Kart game on the 3D DS is quite exciting assuming they do make one for it i'll almost certainly buy one. The new Zelda looks very much the same as the last one so I don't think I'd bother with that, might be fun if you've never played a Zelda before though. Goldeneye Wii looks totally rubbish, there's no way the Wii can rival the more powerful consoles for shooty games anymore, without the same level of interaction between players i''d be suprised if many people bothered with it. That Mickey Mouse game looked surprisingly good, I liked the the look of the old b&w style level especially, I hope it's loaded with material for the 'adult collector' like the dvds.

MALCOLM

An expansion to Battlefield Bad Company 2 is being announced I believe, (predictably) Vietnam

Also, Medal of Honor is due out end of the year, but you can get onto the multiplayer beta this week if you pre-order it from a participating retailer

Slaaaaabs

Quote from: MALCOLM on June 15, 2010, 07:23:45 PM
An expansion to Battlefield Bad Company 2 is being announced I believe, (predictably) Vietnam

Also, Medal of Honor is due out end of the year, but you can get onto the multiplayer beta this week if you pre-order it from a participating retailer

Medal Of Honor's multiplayer is by DICE as well and looks very much like Bad Company 2. Slight overkill.

jutl

The Microsoft one yesterday was hilariously bad - particularly the Kinect segment hosted by that dappy cunt in dark glasses. Commenters on Twitter were begging for it to end.

mobias

Sony's main press conference is starting quite soon (LA time) I've read that they've got a load of major announcements including the first footage of Motorstorm Apocalypse, the game sounds insane from what I've heard about it.  Was kind of hoping for the first news and footage of Rockstar North's  new game Agent currently in production for the PS3 but apparently Rockstar aren't taking part in E3 this year. 

Spiteface

All I care about so far is Sonic 4:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oobVTAz_0U

which, by all accounts is shaping up nicely.  Proper old-school Sonic.

MALCOLM

Quote from: Slaaaaabs on June 15, 2010, 07:26:14 PM
Medal Of Honor's multiplayer is by DICE as well and looks very much like Bad Company 2. Slight overkill.

Especially as another DICE title, Battlefield 3, is out end of the year/early next year

Battlefield 3 is going to be fucking ace though

Bad company appears to have the ability to cover infantry only all the way up to full on tanks/helicopters/planes, seems they're intent on splitting out so MoH does infantry, BBC2 does infantry and some vehicles, BF3 will do the whole shebang, despite the engine quite clearly being able to do the lot, thus rendering anything other than BF3 a bit overkill

chand

Haha fuck, Gabe Newell as a speaker at the Sony conference! The world has turned upside down. Announcing Portal 2 and saying the PS3 version will be the best console version. Have I been drinking?

jutl

Quote from: chand on June 15, 2010, 09:27:36 PM
Haha fuck, Gabe Newell as a speaker at the Sony conference! The world has turned upside down. Announcing Portal 2 and saying the PS3 version will be the best console version. Have I been drinking?

With his comments about openness, I think the issue here is that Sony have let them run Steam services on PS3s while Microsoft has refused.

The Masked Unit

And it looks fucking great! No Last Guardian though? Bag o shite.

jutl

Quote from: The Masked Unit on June 15, 2010, 09:57:33 PM
And it looks fucking great! No Last Guardian though? Bag o shite.

Portal 2? That whole trailer was rendered, I'm fairly sure.

The Masked Unit

I did kind of think that, but then immediately thought "surely not?"

Slaaaaabs

The Playstation Move demos did it no real favours, Tiger Woods 11 especially made it look unresponsive and twitchy.

Jemble Fred

I fucking hate this time of year, because you end up having to do about two weeks' worth of work in a couple of days. Plus I'm jealous of Wii Mickey Mouse.

I will cheer up if a reasonably priced slim 360 with Kinetic deal is announced for the UK.

chand

Quote from: jutl on June 15, 2010, 09:55:57 PM
With his comments about openness, I think the issue here is that Sony have let them run Steam services on PS3s while Microsoft has refused.

Yeah, it sounded like that, he certainly made it sound like there'd be some level of PS3 Steam support.

Was pretty funny seeing him up there after once being PS3's most vocal critic.

Summary of the Sony conference then:
- loads of stuff about 3D and a live 3D Killzone 3 demo which was somewhat lost on me since I couldn't see it in 3D, nor will I be able to afford a 3D telly. Still, Killzone 3 looked great anyway. Some footage from Motorstorm Apocalypse and Gran Turismo 5
- loads of Move-related stuff and demo of Sorcery which looked a reasonably entertaining Move-based action game
- Heroes On The Move announced, a Move-based action platform shootery game which unites Ratchet, Clank, Jak, Daxter and Sly and Bentley (from the Sly series), looked fun although they only showed brief clips
- new amusing ad campaign for PSP with Kevin Butler and some kid
- loads of LittleBigPlanet 2 looking fucking brilliant
- some stuff about the premium PSN subscription that I wasn't paying attention to, didn't sound that interesting, PSN as it is now will remain free and this is all bonus stuff
- new Medal Of Honour game will include bonus remastered Medal Of Honor: Frontline on PS3
- Dead Space 2 will be released in a special edition which includes Move version of Dead Space Extraction
- Portal 2
- Assassin's Creed Brotherhood multiplayer beta exclusive to PS3
- Gran Turismo 5 coming November 2nd (HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA)
- trailer for Infamous 2
- new Twisted Metal game coming to PS3 which looked fun

No real big game announcements apart from Portal 2 and the return of Twisted Metal, stuff like Infamous 2 had already been announced.

Slaaaaabs

I think the Portal 2 stuff was Steamcloud (saved games on networks) and Steamworks (achievements, community etc)

I don't think we'll be seeing weekly deals on Railworks DLC.

Quote from: Jemble Fred on June 15, 2010, 10:09:21 PM
I fucking hate this time of year, because you end up having to do about two weeks' worth of work in a couple of days. Plus I'm jealous of Wii Mickey Mouse.

I will cheer up if a reasonably priced slim 360 with Kinetic deal is announced for the UK.

Have you seen Epic Mickey up close? The conference demo was kind of bollocksed but it looked very nice.

Also its Kinect. In case you have to write it in an article.

Jemble Fred

Yes, oddly enough I've corrected it myself about a dozen times today. But I'm off duty.

hpmons

Who do I have to shag/marry/push off a cliff to play Portal 2 right now THIS SECOND?

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2010-portal-2/101563

Slaaaaabs

Quote from: hpmons on June 15, 2010, 10:39:51 PM
Who do I have to shag/marry/push off a cliff to play Portal 2 right now THIS SECOND?

Gabe Newell. With the lights on.

mobias

Quote from: chand on June 15, 2010, 10:12:08 PM
Some footage from Motorstorm Apocalypse and Gran Turismo 5

I'll be sticking to Motorstorm there. I know Gran Turismo is regarded as the greatest driving simulator in the history of the universe and Gran Turismo 5 looks like a total graphics wank fest but I like my racing over the top and utterly unlike anything I could conceivably do in reality. In a racing game half the fun is the crashing and blowing up and in that Motorstorm is second to none.  Gran Turismo's producers have their heads so far up the arses of the car manufacturers featured in the game that up until now they haven't been able to put in any car damage whatsoever. I know they've finally managed it with GT5 but I'm sceptical of how well its implemented. From the clips I've seen it hardly looks dramatic.

Motorstorm trailer looks good.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1ktV74lY-Q

chand

Yeah, Motorstorm will most likely be more fun, I loved Pacific Rift. I find Gran Turismo a bit hard going, I'll probably end up buying it.

Gabe Newell's appearance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-No_qvE5ItA

Slaaaaabs

Portal 2 looks conceptually great. I'm a sucker for distorted familiarity, though. Who isn't?

MGS:Rising also looks pretty sexy but I haven't played a MGS game in so long, I feel I've missed too much canonical stuff to jump back on board now.

Kinect and Move look derivative beyond amusement but as discussed a few months back, I've very little interest in the Wii's motion stuff, anyway, beyond a bit of pointing. I had a game on Wii Boxing again the other night at a mate's. Fun, for the pure physical competitive element, but completely useless as a game. That kind of motion stuff needs to be 1:1, dead on, for it to feel right. From what I've seen neither Kinect nor Move have managed that yet.

The big stuff for me, as a sake-drinking infantile nostalgia hound, was obviously the Nintendo news. I'll be honest, the marvels of NSMB Wii and SMG2, aside, I've barely touched it for ages. I honestly thought it was, for want of a better word, moribund. With SMG2 already out, Metroid: Other M and now this fantastic-looking new Kirby and maybe Donkey Kong Country, this is one of their best ever years. It's easy as a 360 owner to scoff at 'four games = good year' but given that they're exclusives, and I can also play almost any 360 game on the PC, that'll do me very nicely.

A quick look at that Kirby game, then:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvULlC9c7xg

I was playing through Kirby Super Something or other on the DS recently and regretted not giving it a go earlier. I thought it was for remedials because of the hyper-cutesy style but it's a great basic mechanic to play with, loads of variety and different ways to play through levels, even given the obvious traditionalist platforming. This one seems to follow similar ideas of transforming and discarding loads of different weapons and tools to get you through the levels. The art style looks fantastic, too, with some of it going back to earlier games but stuff like unzipping the background or pulling on a thread to wrinkle it all up and reveal a secret area, well, wow. I've not seen that before.

To me, Zelda looks a bit shit/samey at the moment, though, even allowing for technical hiccups. I hope they'll integrate the motion stuff to allow people who don't look to gaming for their exercise to be able to sit back and chill with it.

As for the 3DS, great to see analogue control. I never got into SM64 DS because it was just crap with a D-pad. I'm not particularly bothered about 3D in general but looking forward to seeing what they come up with and happy to see that you can just turn it off if you like. That's reassuring. Better screen and improved graphics sound promising too and the new Kid Icarus (nostalgia yay) looks like a good demonstration. I wondered whether it was a Wii game at first, definite aesthetic improvements.

And that's all the weather.

MojoJojo

Quote from: hpmons on June 15, 2010, 10:39:51 PM

Hmmm, really wasn't very impressed. But then, I suspect it's very hard to make an impressive trailer from portal - the graphics have never had any wow factor. Also, the GLaDos's lines where fairly rubbish box ticking mimicry of the first game.

Actually, I'm going to make an early call that Portal 2 will be a disappointment. The gameplay gimmick was already getting a bit repetitive by the end of the fairly short first game. And I'm not really sure they can get much more original, funny stuff from GlaDos.

I'm really hoping I'm wrong, though.