Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:42:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Wimblemong 2010! Draws and rules

Started by Kishi the Bad Lampshade, June 15, 2010, 12:38:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should gifs be allowed?

750x500 (and visa versa)
0 (0%)
visa versa
0 (0%)
Keeping to the usual size rules
0 (0%)
Gettin' Ziggy wid it. Na na na na na na na. Na na na na na na. Gettin' Ziggy wid it.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: June 21, 2010, 05:13:53 PM

ziggy starbucks

cheers to kishi and rowlands for sorting out round 1

I think we need to do some serious scientific study before deciding on a new shot size, factoring in all the significant variables. I'd be in favour of keeping the same pixel ratio 1.5:1 as we have now.

Spoiler alert
I'm ready for my pounding in round 2
[close]

Kishi the Bad Lampshade

900x600 (and visa versa)?

I think that's a pretty good idea, 600x400 does seem rather titchy.

chocky909

How about a vote thread? Let's keep the same proportion say 750x500?

Jemble Fred

It's not so much the size that seems a problem, it's having to keep to a specific shape. Isn't it better to just let anyone... sort of... do whatever they want?

Rowlands

Quote from: ziggy starbucks on June 26, 2010, 02:32:26 PM
cheers to kishi and rowlands for sorting out round 1

No need to credit me, I've done nowt really - Kishi's the one who put in all the effort and whatnot.

Spoiler alert
I'm ready for my pounding in round 2
[close]

Who says you'll be playing me?

Spoiler alert
;)
[close]

ziggy starbucks

I think a fixed size gives the game a level playing field, which is important when everyone has different software and time available. Voters then get to compare like for like images. Plus by using png image files you can basically have your shot any shape you like, such as lookalike mark chapman's shot last year

I like chocky's 750x500 suggestion. If its much bigger than that a shot is going to take even longer to make (which is bloody long enough already thankyouverymuch)

LookalikeMarkChapman

alcoholic messiah

Quote from: ziggy starbucks on June 26, 2010, 03:14:56 PM
I like chocky's 750x500 suggestion. If its much bigger than that a shot is going to take even longer to make (which is bloody long enough already thankyouverymuch)

Agreed. There's also a certain minimalist satisfaction to be gained when you manage to express your idea clearly within a miserly canvas.

There's nothing wrong with having a hurdle or two to navigate.

alan nagsworth

chocky909

alcoholic messiah

ziggy starbucks

alan nagsworth

edit: fuck you tripod image hosting

Zero Gravitas

alan nagsworth

Oh man, I bet the draw will happen tonight and I'll get home from work in the morning and see I've been drawn to serve again and get no sleep trying to think of a shot. I literally bet that this is what happens.

An tSaoi

500 X 750 looks too tall. Is it the same ratio?

Zero Gravitas

Little Hoover

wha? 750 is too tall, it doesn't all fit onto a monitor at once. It's fine for big monitors but not so good for laptops.

Why do they have to keep mucking everything about?

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Little Hoover on June 26, 2010, 10:38:58 PM
wha? 750 is too tall, it doesn't all fit onto a monitor at once. It's fine for big monitors but not so good for laptops.

QuoteWhy do they have to keep mucking everything about?

But that's what the young un's are like these days, they have to come along with their crazy new ideas and trends and spoil a perfectly good system that predates Christianity. Bastards.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: alan nagsworth on June 26, 2010, 09:17:18 PM
Oh man, I bet the draw will happen tonight and I'll get home from work in the morning and see I've been drawn to serve again and get no sleep trying to think of a shot. I literally bet that this is what happens.

That'd be cheating Nags, you're supposed to come up with your own ideas and not collaborate with other whores. But this doesn't surprise me, I heard a rumour last year that you got a professional in to do your shots...

An tSaoi

How about the pictures are 500 X 700, but when they're posted the contestants must scale them down to the old size (you just type [img height=400 width=600] don't you?); then people with big enough monitors can click on them for full size, whereas people without can look at them as they are? Everyone wins.

Cerys

Listen to this man.  He speaks with sensible fingers.

Zero Gravitas

Why 500 x 700?

(500 / 700) - (400 / 600) = 0.048

That'd give me ulcers.

HAYRDRYAH

Even if the larger image were 750 x 500 so the same aspect ratio, the quality of the image would depend on your browser's resampling algorithm. Anyone using IE would see horrid jaggedy edges everywhere, and would probably end up voting for the fuzziest mongs.

Cerys

Can't you get around that with powers of two?

Zero Gravitas

I've tried all this before HAYRDRYAH these cunts just do it to annoy me.

HAYRDRYAH

Hahah. I guess two display sizes would mean you can play with spatial frequency:

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on June 26, 2010, 11:47:34 PM
That'd be cheating Nags, you're supposed to come up with your own ideas and not collaborate with other whores. But this doesn't surprise me, I heard a rumour last year that you got a professional in to do your shots...

Ha! That bloody Baxter, he wouldn't let it lie!

wasp_f15ting

When does the second round start??

alan nagsworth

Yes I'm very eager to get started now. Mine and Phil's match was the first to end so I feel like I've been waiting for too long already! Kishi, are you doing a live radio draw or just a standard fare?