Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 02:10:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pat Metheny

Started by Sam, May 09, 2004, 10:44:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam

Anyone a fan here?

For those not familair with him he is a jazz guitarist with a long and distinguished career. His music is not "straight-ahead" jazz. He uses a warm guitar tone or synth sound usually accompanied by collaborator Lyle May's washes of synth keyboards and open-voiced piano playing. He's collaborated with many great peruccsionists and vocalists who have lent his albums (particularly those labelled "Pat Metheny Group") a Brazilian world-beat feel.

Most of his stuff is sublime, although I'll be the first to admit he's produced some dud tracks (and even some below-par whole albums). But when he's at his best....well, what can you say but the usual string of superlatives that get hauled out when discussing geniuses and their masterpieces.

I would really recommend his music to anyone who listens to music at night in bed, on long road trips, stargazing etc.

He's done so so much it's hard to recommend things because it's all so diverse. So, as usual, if you don't like the first thing you hear don't write him off completely.

Here are some albums which I recommend thoroughly and would count among some of the best music I have ever had the privilige of hearing. Go to amazon and read some reviews to get the feel for them.

"Letter From Home", "First Circle" and "Still Life (Talking)"

Lush, world music feel, gorgeous worldless singing of melodies. Very easy on the ears.

"Bright Size Life", "Question and Answer", "Trio 99-00"

Stripped down trio recordings. Much more in the "straight-ahead" jazz vein.

"As Falls Wichita, So Falls Wichita Falls",  "Watercolours", "American Garage", "Pat Metheny Group"

Not quite as stripped down as his trio stuff but not quite as richly layered as the Brazilian-feel 80s stuff ("Letter from Home" etc)

So far I have just made sweeping recommendations, but allow me to go into more detail about my favourite album and my favouirte track ("Secret Story" and "If I Could", respectively).

"Secret Story" is the hight of his "lush" stuff. It features the London Symphony Orchestra and some choral stuff (including a Cambodian children's choir). The song titles and background to the pieces are very personal and moving. It's a very long cd (over 75 mins) and runs the gamut. Sometimes the whole orchestra and all instruments are used, sometimes it's just sparse solo textures. But at all times it's mesmerising other-wordly stuff. Here's some quotes from a amazon reviews:

QuotePat Metheny's most ambitious solo project is also his most emotionally rich work as composer. A conceptual song cycle inspired by a tumultuous relationship frames the CD's alternately intense and introspective motifs with sweeping orchestrations and a shifting array of global musics spanning Asia, Europe, and the Americas. With a vast cast (including numerous Metheny Group members past and present), and Metheny himself marshalling percussion, horns, and keyboards as well as guitar and guitar synthesizer, Secret Story is by turns lush, heroic, heartbroken, at once epic and intimate

Quote...As for richness of musical and rhytmical textures, few albums achieve the level of "Secret Story"; especially notable is "Finding and Believing," almost 10 minutes long tune with several parts, the final 90 seconds or so being the most euphoric, very Metheny-like, fascinating piece of music.

"Secret Story" is not your typical jazz album -- it defies strict categorisation. That's what also makes it excellent.

Simply put, this is one great soundtrack for your ears. Inspiring and rewarding when you reflect on your secret (and not-so-secret) stories in life...

QuoteSecret Story is an epic, a wide-reaching work of vast scope and limitless imagination. I realize I sound like some cheap PR man writing that, but I find it hard to convey the sheer magnificence of this music in simple terms...

QuoteTo find words to describe this album is indeed a difficult task. Pat takes us on journey through some of the most beautiful worlds with a masterpiece of modern music. At times, a symphony drives us through the landscapes which he creates. In other pieces, a couple of instruments provides the space to enjoy individual moments. Right from the start, the tunes are crafted with typical Metheny style. It is almost impossible to listen to just a few tracks as the whole album flows with such melody. Definitely less jazz than other recordings but nothing in the music is lost or missing. A must for all Pat Metheny fans and an eye opener to everyone else, showing what can be achieved through music.

Ok. I'll stop there, you get the point.

As for my favourite track, "If I Could" (from the album "First Circle"), it's one of the most heart-stoppingly beautiful and uplifting pieces of music ever written. It's soft and warm and tender like nothing else I've heard. It's simple and poignant melody will caress you and if you are not brought to tears when hearing this, you really should check your pulse. Metheny's guitar soars over a subtle backdrop of gentle brush strokes, minimalist bass and synth textures. If there were ever a piece to be played at my funeral, this would be it. This piece alone makes Metheny one of my most beloved musicians.

So, in conclusion, check out Pat Metheny! I guarantee there is something in his massive disography for everyone, regardless of what genre you like. Just experiment, give it time, listen to it in different scenarios and you'll realize you're missing some of the best music ever written.

sounds great sam, cheers for the tip. I'll keep an eye out.

sore bottom mum

Quote from: "Sam"...usually accompanied by collaborator Lyle May's washes of synth keyboards.............................................................................................................................................................................

put me off slightly!

Edit: I'm going to use that as a line in a song though

Gazeuse

I've never been that keen...Always found his tone a bit weedy, but what do I know?!?

I quite like the track 'The Colours Of Chloe' from the Ring album with Gary Burton and Eberhard Weber.

I'm more of an Allan Holdsworth feller meself.

Key

The stuff he did with Steve Reich was excellent

Sam

Working with Reich was great for Metheny. You can hear how he uses Reich's rhythmic concepts in "Secret Story".

@Gaz: Yeah,  I love Allan Holdsworth too. Harmonically, he's on another planet and his chops are sick but I'd take one tune by Metheny over every Holdsworth tune put together. Metheny is a way better composer and he writes music that I enjoy listening to.