Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:47:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

'Phil Mitchell on Crack' or The Out of Character Thread

Started by boxofslice, June 19, 2010, 07:25:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

boxofslice

Travelling along the internet I came across this story:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/news/2010/06/10/crackhead-phil-115875-22323194/

Now, while the idea of EastEnders' throaty hardman losing it with a crack pip amuses me greatly, I'm thinking "They've run out of ideas here".  I get the booze but crack? Really?

So do you know of any other examples where writers have gone too far or just run out of ideas with a character that make you think "Nah, they wouldn't do that", either in film, tv or books?

Gulftastic

Eastenders is so fucking terrible these days! They are going the way of Brookside, with sensational storyline after sensational storyline, and we all know how that ended.

Anyway, in Buffy The Vampire Slayer's lauded musical episode, 'Once More With Feeling', the end of episode reveal that it was
Spoiler alert
Xander
[close]
who had summoned the dancing demon was just complete bollocks! The idea of
Spoiler alert
Xander
[close]
doing magic is bad enough (
Spoiler alert
he
[close]
tried it once in an earlier season, and it went badly wrong), but the idea that
Spoiler alert
he
[close]
wouldn't admit what
Spoiler alert
he
[close]
had done as soon as people started dying is just full on bullshit.

biggytitbo

The episode where Nerys Hughes' character in the District Nurse goes on the game was completly out of character imho.

Serge

Why have they illustrated that Mirror story with a picture of Phil looking like he's about to burst into song? And I like the way that they have to put quotation marks around "crackhead".

Great idea for a thread by the way, I'll try and think of some...!

An tSaoi

The Simpsons ran out of ideas for Homer years ago, to the point where he took up a new wacky job every few weeks.

Tiny Poster

Homer was always a malleable Tony Hancock-style character, but The Lad Himself would never have been raped by a panda.

Beagle 2

Stopped watching Bellenders years ago for this reason, they just fuck about with characters as they like - Minty turning from nasty piece of work to loveable cuddly man, Billy turning from bullying child abuser to loveable loser, Matthew Rose turning from timid sap to hard-nosed criminal mastermind, Ian Beale all over the fucking shop, Arthur Fowler becoming a pimp (actually I might have imagined that).

Corra keeps its shit together.

Ginyard

Quote from: Serge on June 19, 2010, 02:12:43 PM
Why have they illustrated that Mirror story with a picture of Phil looking like he's about to burst into song?

Ha. that blatant nipple stimulation suggests he's not singing the okey cokey.

"At no point will viewers see Phil take drugs to ensure the episodes are suitable for the audience."

WTF? Lets see him foil up. I want to watch every blood vessel in his body gasp otherwise where's the drama?

As a storyline, it doesn't seem too far-fetched to me though, given that he's already a storming alchoholic who seems able to turn his addiction on and off according to how shit his son's doing in life. I doubt the inevitable cold turkey screaming will last longer any longer than my endurance for Fatboy. The only reason I still watch it is because I want to see bible-babbling baldie Lucas gnawing on Denise's bones in the dead of the night.

biggytitbo

Dell acts like a horrible cunt in A Royal Flush, which is not totally out of keeping with his character in the earlier episodes but the degree Sullivan takes it is pretty extreme.

Mr Colossal

He looks like hes hitting the vinegar strokes to me...  The true story about him driving to france in a camper van and trying not to get noticed crawling french car parks in his captain hooks wig and talking in a fake irish accent conjured up a mental image that was more personally more amusing than any plot development.   It seems hes recovered quite miraculously from that...  its the type of thing that people tend to get associated with forever and he seemed destined for some George Michael-esque breakdown.

Serge

I'm now convinced that, not only is he about to sing a song, but that song is 'I Wonder Why' by Curtis Stigers. If they can somehow incorporate a scene where a crack-addled Phil throws a puppy at some German bikers and tries to make a getaway on a bulldozer, I might even start to watch 'Eastenders' again.

Mister Six

Quote from: Gulftastic on June 19, 2010, 09:52:05 AM
Eastenders is so fucking terrible these days! They are going the way of Brookside, with sensational storyline after sensational storyline, and we all know how that ended.

Anyway, in Buffy The Vampire Slayer's lauded musical episode, 'Once More With Feeling', the end of episode reveal that it was
Spoiler alert
Xander
[close]
who had summoned the dancing demon was just complete bollocks! The idea of
Spoiler alert
Xander
[close]
doing magic is bad enough (
Spoiler alert
he
[close]
tried it once in an earlier season, and it went badly wrong), but the idea that
Spoiler alert
he
[close]
wouldn't admit what
Spoiler alert
he
[close]
had done as soon as people started dying is just full on bullshit.

Wasn't it implied that
Spoiler alert
he was covering for Dawn?
[close]
I think there was a subtle reference in a later episode - possibly in season seven, half of which seemed to be spent on damage limitation for the fucking dreadful pile of shit that went before.

rudi

Quote from: Serge on June 19, 2010, 09:33:33 PM

I'm now convinced that, not only is he about to sing a song, but that song is 'I Wonder Why' by Curtis Stigers. If they can somehow incorporate a scene where a crack-addled Phil throws a puppy at some German bikers and tries to make a getaway on a bulldozer, I might even start to watch 'Eastenders' again.

See I had either Michael Bolton's take on "Yesterday" or midway through the chorus of "You Gotta Be" by, I think, Des'ree.

Ginyard

HAYRDRYAH

I think he looks like he's just been shot! Or possibly just acting like he's just been shot!

Cerys

I see that 'Enders has swiped the prostitute-murdering vicar storyline from Pobl y Cwm.  Maybe Phil is just gearing up for the Eisteddfod.

rudi

What's the Welsh for prostitute (any references to Swansea will be considered rubbish)?

Cerys

Ooh, good question.  I can't quite remember.  'Hwran' and 'butain' spring to mind, but - hang on, I'll check.

Hah - almost, 'hwren' (also 'whore') and 'putain' (also 'harlot').

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Cerys on June 20, 2010, 12:06:35 PM
I see that 'Enders has swiped the prostitute-murdering vicar storyline from Pobl y Cwm.
Pebbley quim?

rudi

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on June 20, 2010, 05:20:00 PM
Pebbley quim?

It even had an Engish-language spin off cop series: Granite Fanny starring Alan Hansen as Andy Whamman. It involved a lot of shouting.

Cerys

I was so hacked off when it was cancelled after one series.  Sodding taffia.

Mr Colossal

Quote from: Cerys on June 20, 2010, 02:26:00 PM

'putain'

The same as the french then.   and coincidentally very similar to the canadian fast food dish comprised of chips, cheese curd and gravy...

Johnny Townmouse

Mr Colossal

Quote"After my first day of shooting the crack story, I went and ate two ice creams and some fizzy drinks - you know, food that real addicts crave. Then I fell asleep in my dressing room for two hours."

Its like they got his instructions mixed up with the characters of ben and jim branning.

Ginyard

Christ's hovis, is he for real!? That's not quite getting into the part is it? Its like Christopher Timothy saying he prepared for vetinary work by chucking some Eukanuba on his patio. Something tells me he's not going to reach Popeye Doyle believability.

The Masked Unit

He told TV Times: "After my first day of shooting the crack story, I went and ate two ice creams and some fizzy drinks - you know, food that real addicts crave. Then I fell asleep in my dressing room for two hours."

This is literally an item from the latest Viz, yes?

Gulftastic

Does he know what 'crack cocaine' actually is? Does he think it's an Haribo product?

Why I Hate Tables