Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,583,385
  • Total Topics: 106,741
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 03:30:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Radiohead, guys! RADIOHEAD.

Started by alan nagsworth, June 21, 2010, 07:03:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan nagsworth

New album is "weeks from completion" so sez this here link:

http://drownedinsound.com/news/4140307-new-radiohead-album-nearly-finished?relevant-artist

However that could still mean it's months from seeing a release. I was pretty bored pretty quick with 'In Rainbows', which is why I was interested to read the following:

Quote from: Ed O'Brien
    "It's genuinely exciting, it's very different from what we did last time. It's just really nice to be doing this, it's so good to be making music with the band that you feel is as good as it's ever been."

"At the end of In Rainbows it'd had taken three years to come together...it was such a slog. We really believed in these songs and we decided at the end of the record that we were never going to do it again this way. That was the end of Radiohead Mark 2. That was a really long process, by the end of it 'House Of Cards' had been recorded 6 times."

Exciting! So, let's all massage each others' shoulders and get PUMPED AS FUCK for this new album. YEAH.

That quotes form Adam Buxtons big mixtape isn't it. The shows worth listening to, I didn't know they had sent a song off for Brian Eno to mix at one point in there career. Wonder if that will ever crop up somewhere.

weekender

The moral of the story is that 'House Of Cards' was a bit crap, and shouldn't have been on the 'In Rainbows' album.

Still, new Radiohead is always good news. 

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Manfred Nirvana

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on June 21, 2010, 08:29:35 PM
Where is my massage?

Up your fucking chutneys. An eye for an eye, a massage for a vote. You had your chance.

small_world

I really like Radiohead, this is nice news.
I thought In Rainbows was great, and yeah no one can be rated so highly and not be 'over-rated'* but Radiohead, man. Awesome.

I reckon it'll be all panpipes and accordians.

*That Thom Yorke's BlackSwan was pretty good, but 'rained all night' is shit.

vrailaine

In Rainbows was their best album in my opinion, nice and compact. Even Kid A feels like it drags on a bit.

I really wished I could get anything from a Radiohead record. The guy's voice just doesn't work for me, though. I'll listen and be like 'damn...this is good stuff', then yer man opens his gob and kills the mood. It just reminds me of greasy fringe dudes with thumb holes cut in their long sleeves. Sorry to be so obviously wrong.

Which album has least vocals?

non capisco

Quote from: weekender on June 21, 2010, 08:20:58 PM
The moral of the story is that 'House Of Cards' was a bit crap, and shouldn't have been on the 'In Rainbows' album.

Ooh, I disagree! It's my favourite one on the album barring maybe 'Reckoner'. Dragged like a bastard live though although I apparently saw them on an off-night and Victoria Park is a shit venue for live music.

Spiteface

Quote from: The Boston Crab on June 21, 2010, 10:24:39 PM
I really wished I could get anything from a Radiohead record. The guy's voice just doesn't work for me, though. I'll listen and be like 'damn...this is good stuff', then yer man opens his gob and kills the mood. It just reminds me of greasy fringe dudes with thumb holes cut in their long sleeves. Sorry to be so obviously wrong.

Kid A and Amnesiac have some songs where the vocals are just heavily fucked with, or buried in the mix.  Probably as much vocal stuff as the rest of their albums, just not as prominent/obvious.  Yeah, those 2.

PaulTMA

Fiver's bet on the inclusion of a track on this album entitled 'Witchdoktors', or something very similar.  I predict it will consist of Thom Yorke mainly singing vowel sounds with his mouth seemingly shut.  A tune won't have been considered necessary.

Thanks, Spiteface. I guess those are the ones I've heard where I've liked bits and then gone 'hmm' but I'll steal them right now and make my own edits. The jazzy bits are neat.

Custard

Huge fan, me. But found In Rainbows pretty boring, really. There were no actual BAAAAD tracks, but I dunno, I'd put it on and find myself not even paying attention to it after the opening few tracks. I guess I found it all a bit, well, one-note. Preferred the bonus-disc, with Down Is The New Up etc. Had a bit more life to it.

That said, I loved Thom's Eraser album and recent single, and the new tracks the band have played live so far have been pretty decent. So yeah, mostly high hopes.

Really wish they'd finally do a studio-version of the AMAZING Lift, mind

The live version - http://www.sendspace.com/file/6z8ei7

Jemble Fred

I like Radiohead, they're a sort of grumpy Lighthouse Family.

Each new album has been slightly less enjoyable than the one before IMO, but a promise of a whole new direction could halt that decline.

Nelson Swillie

Quote from: Jemble Fred on June 22, 2010, 01:52:42 PM

That's it, I'm leaving. It's been 'real'.

boki

"We could be lifted...but we probably won't so don't get your fucking hopes up"

PaulTMA

Quote from: Jemble Fred on June 22, 2010, 01:52:42 PM

I can sort of see this.  Kind of like how Elbow are an obese Coldplay.

Jemble Fred

Exactly! And like Echo & The Bunnymen are a non-Welsh Flying Pickets with instruments.

I'm glad it's not just me.

Serge

Quote from: Jemble Fred on June 22, 2010, 01:52:42 PMI like Radiohead, they're a sort of grumpy Lighthouse Family.

I am going to nick this line and annoy so many people.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Shameless on June 22, 2010, 01:45:40 PM
Huge fan, me. But found In Rainbows pretty boring, really. There were no actual BAAAAD tracks, but I dunno, I'd put it on and find myself not even paying attention to it after the opening few tracks. I guess I found it all a bit, well, one-note.

Innit brav. Radiohead-by-numbers, I feel. 'Amnesiac'/'Kid A' are always gonna be my favourites of that point in their careers. That said, 'In Rainbows' was more solid than 'Hail To The Thief' but it just felt really one-note, as you said yourself. I'm glad they seemed to have spotted this without actually admitting it was a tad stale, and have decided to take a new direction.

I bet it's gonna be dubstep.

Serge

Well, Thom was checking out the dubstep CDs when he was in Rough Trade...

Johnny Textface

Trouble with Radiohead is that Thom got happy. Its a bit like Oasis getting rich.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Serge on June 22, 2010, 08:52:17 PM
Well, Thom was checking out the dubstep CDs when he was in Rough Trade...

Aye, I was being half-joking and semi-serious to be fair. It wouldn't surprise me if the scene had some influence on either any future solo stuff from him, or this new album.

Desi Rascal

Amplive of Zion I fame has released a remix albulm of Radiohead songs, not really my bag but some of you mentalists might derive some pleasure from it

http://amplivesworld.com/music/

Barberism

Quote from: The Boston Crab on June 21, 2010, 10:24:39 PM

Kid A/Amnesiac are the albums where his voice is most muted. My friends who don't like Radiohead or Thom Yorke like those two albums but not the rest.

I can understand people not liking his voice. But when I went to see the big gig they played in ofxord they were being supported by Sigur Ros. I overhead this during the Sigur Rox set:
"Can't stand his voice."
"Yeah, he's too high pitched."
"Yeah he sings like a girl."
Dudes, you're at a RADIOHEAD gig!

non capisco

Quote from: Barberism on June 24, 2010, 12:38:13 AM
I can understand people not liking his voice. But when I went to see the big gig they played in ofxord they were being supported by Sigur Ros. I overhead this during the Sigur Rox set:
"Can't stand his voice."
"Yeah, he's too high pitched."
"Yeah he sings like a girl."
Dudes, you're at a RADIOHEAD gig!

When I saw them in Victoria Park I was stood next to two guys talking loudly about football formations literally all the way through. Radiohead were also rubbish that night, even the new stuff was played sluggishly. If I ever see em live again it'll be if they do loads of nights at an indoor venue as that was one of the most disappointing gigs I've ever been to.

vrailaine

Radiohead, Beck and Deerhoof were all shite at Marley Park in 05, the new songs all sounded atrocious. Only good thing that came outta it was discovering deerhoof, I guess.

purlieu

I have a very love/hate relationship with the band and was surprised to find myself loving In Rainbows on release; these days I barely listen, though.  Same happened with all of their albums other than Kid A and Amnesiac.  The 'new direction' thing is certainly appealing, the two songs we've heard since In Rainbows have been quite good.  Although one did just sound like... well, Radiohead.

Shoulders?-Stomach!