Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:11:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Best (most proud of) & Worst(most embarrasing) Album in your collection damn it!

Started by Brainwrong, May 10, 2004, 05:27:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evil Knevil

Quote from: "Goldentony"best - rollins band hard volume/insert band here, boss stuff, intense as fuck

worst - limp bizkit - chocolate starfishand the dog shit sounding album, dont fucking ask

Another member of the "what the fuck was I thinking" club. Special Edition and all.

Best, probably a signed copy of Elephant Stone.

chand

Quote from: "Evil Knevil"
Another member of the "what the fuck was I thinking" club. Special Edition and all.

I have 'Chocolate Starfish...' cos I really liked 'Significant Other', which I still think is a decent album for what it is (i.e it's not fucking 'Music Has The Right To Children' or anything, but it's a lot of fun).

'Chocolate Starfish...' was bollocks, though, complete with self-parodying 'let's go for the world swearing record in one song!' and some dreadful 'emotional' moments. Urgh.

Bilko

Best : Elliot Smith - XO

Worst : This is made harder as I sold 40 albums I don't like at a car boot sale earlier this year.  So I go for Fat Boy Slim - Half between the blah blah blah.   I'm not too keen on his first album either, I used to really like You've Come a Long Way Baby, now I hate it haven't played it in 2 years, fuck it, that goes down as my worst album as well.

Dr David V

Quote from: "Peter Hammill"Fat Boy Slim - Half between the blah blah blah.
I've never understood people's dislike for this album. I think it contains some of his best work to date. Isn't we working on a 4th studio album at the moment or something?

phes

Quote from: "Dr David V"
Quote from: "Peter Hammill"Fat Boy Slim - Half between the blah blah blah.
I've never understood people's dislike for this album. I think it contains some of his best work to date. Isn't we working on a 4th studio album at the moment or something?

I don't get on with this one either. It's just a really hollow record that doesn't have any of the beauty of 'Santa Cruz' and doesn't reach the poptastic heights of 'Praise you' . If Norms going to keep churning out bigbeat then he's going to have to do a hell of a lot better for his fourth. I'd like to see him take a slightly housier turn, perhaps closer to 'Song for Shelter' than 'Yo Mama' type pap. When it comes to bigbeat and everything he's done since 'better living......'         ( Ooh, and his mix of Brimful of Asha )  I'd rate him as a better dj than writer. He's played some decent tunes in his time, best of which I think is a mix done for the NME in 1993/94, given away as a free cassette, called 'Beat up the NME'.

Album that I'm fondest of, although certainly not my best, is DubNoBassWithMyHeadMan.

Worst - The Cure - Remixes. It's just really, really crap.

chand

I forgot to mention 'Farewell Kingdom' by World's End Girlfriend as an album I'm proud of. I found it for £4 in Vinyl Exchange and bought it on the strength of the interesting name and a brief description written on the piece of card which made it sound cool. It's one Japanese guy who makes epic post-rock/electronica stuff. The opening track starts as a kind of twinkly, slow-paced Múm-esque thing, moving through Godspeed-y territory before paying off with a sudden explosion of strings and drum'n'bass beats, and I was hooked. The whole thing is all over the place, in a good way.

All the stuff about him I can find out on the net is that he played the 2002 Sonar festival in Barcelona, and a load of sites in Japanese. This album came out in 2001 but he hasn't done much since except remixes and shit. It's intriguing, though, I can find more shit on the internet about myself than I can about this guy. Sigh. These, I suppose, are the good and bad sides of getting into stupidly obscure music.

Vermschneid Mehearties

Best (proudest)- Alex Paterson's Voyage into Paradise. Rare as dodo's, and consistently dreamy sample-based ambient dub. I love it.

Worse (most embarrassing)-Sash!- Life Goes On. Bought it when I liked mainstream dance music, though I only really care for a track on it called Little River which is probably the best thing he's done.

El Unicornio, mang

Best: That Uncertain Feeling: 500/600 - hardly anyone else has heard of them, and they split after this 1995 LP, but it's a great record.

Worst: The Bluetones - Learning To Fly - possibly the dullest album I've ever heard

lazyhour

Quote from: "chand"I forgot to mention 'Farewell Kingdom' by World's End Girlfriend as an album I'm proud of. I found it for £4 in Vinyl Exchange and bought it on the strength of the interesting name and a brief description written on the piece of card which made it sound cool. It's one Japanese guy who makes epic post-rock/electronica stuff. The opening track starts as a kind of twinkly, slow-paced Múm-esque thing, moving through Godspeed-y territory before paying off with a sudden explosion of strings and drum'n'bass beats, and I was hooked. The whole thing is all over the place, in a good way.

All the stuff about him I can find out on the net is that he played the 2002 Sonar festival in Barcelona, and a load of sites in Japanese. This album came out in 2001 but he hasn't done much since except remixes and shit. It's intriguing, though, I can find more shit on the internet about myself than I can about this guy. Sigh. These, I suppose, are the good and bad sides of getting into stupidly obscure music.

I have an album (mp3s) by World's End Girlfriend called "Ending Story," and it's excellent.  Claims to be from 2000.  It might be a remix album, I suppose.  Anyway, I can read a bit of Japanese so I'll do some internet digging for both of us, if you like.

dan dirty ape

Quote from: "The Unicorn"Worst: The Bluetones - Learning To Fly - possibly the dullest album I've ever heard

Bah. I really like that album. It's got 'The Fountainhead' on it, which is a beautiful song. It's their second one that's the stinker.

chand

Quote from: "lazyhour"I have an album (mp3s) by World's End Girlfriend called "Ending Story," and it's excellent.  Claims to be from 2000.  It might be a remix album, I suppose.  Anyway, I can read a bit of Japanese so I'll do some internet digging for both of us, if you like.

The other thing I know is that he did an album in 2002 as well, under the name Wonderland Falling Yesterday, so there's the possibility he's one of those people who likes to dick around with loads of aliases (he did some CDs as World's End Boyfriend too. World's End Girfriend has done some shows this year, it seems, so I suppose new stuff might happen, but as far as I can tell there's been nothing since the album I have, save remixes and stuff. I'll probably get around p2p places and get some of the older stuff as well.