Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:33:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

[Football] No room for Manchester United players...

Started by mayer, May 10, 2004, 06:07:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

king mob

The problem with Man Utd is Ferguson and the arrogance that he instills in the team, the looks on the Man Utd players faces told a story after last weekends games (Scholes, Flechter, Neville looking like palyers who knew they underperformed & Van Nistlerooy wondering where he left Beckhams number ) because they took it for granted that they would finish top 2.
Sadly Fergies mindgames have ran out of steam and against more subtle managers he's been caught out.You would have to be a very die hard fan to want to keep Fergie on for another season, theres a lot of young ambitious managers who would do the job and attract the type of player they need while developing the little homegrown talent (O'Shea & Fletcher is it right now) they have.

A major shake up is needed or they need only to look at the mess Liverpool has been in for over a decade to see their possible fate.

As for Liverpool its nice to see a local businessman step in to stop this dodgy bid by the Thai Prime minister, it might even get rid of Houllier & his awful transfer policy.

fanny splendid

Quote from: "king mob"The problem with Man Utd is Ferguson

For fucks sake, can't you just leave NUFC alone?

king mob

Quote from: "fanny splendid"
Quote from: "king mob"The problem with Man Utd is Ferguson

For fucks sake, can't you just leave NUFC alone?

I support Partick Thistle  so i have to lash out at everyone;)

Peking O

Quote from: "king mob"Sadly Fergies mindgames have ran out of steam and against more subtle managers he's been caught out.You would have to be a very die hard fan to want to keep Fergie on for another season, theres a lot of young ambitious managers who would do the job and attract the type of player they need while developing the little homegrown talent (O'Shea & Fletcher is it right now) they have.

I'm not a Man Utd or Fergie fan, but I can't agree with this. The man transformed the club from an underperforming Division One club (as it was called then), and has won a phenomenal amount. He's brought in new players at the start of the season, finished third in the league, FA Cup Final, Champions League Quater Finalists...that's not too shabby considering a lot of these players hadn't played together at the start of the season.

hands cold, liver warm

I can't understand why you lot are slagging off blackburn rovers. Sure we had a disappointing season but with the loss of our two most creative midfielders, we were always going to struggle.

king mob

Quote from: "Peking O"
Quote from: "king mob"Sadly Fergies mindgames have ran out of steam and against more subtle managers he's been caught out.You would have to be a very die hard fan to want to keep Fergie on for another season, theres a lot of young ambitious managers who would do the job and attract the type of player they need while developing the little homegrown talent (O'Shea & Fletcher is it right now) they have.

I'm not a Man Utd or Fergie fan, but I can't agree with this. The man transformed the club from an underperforming Division One club (as it was called then), and has won a phenomenal amount. He's brought in new players at the start of the season, finished third in the league, FA Cup Final, Champions League Quater Finalists...that's not too shabby considering a lot of these players hadn't played together at the start of the season.

Its not, but if you set high standards and fail you'll get caught out.Chelsea finished 2nd & got the semis of the Champions League with even more new players.

As for Blackburn i love watching them because Souness on the touchline is constant entertainment.
They have underperfomed but they lost Barry Ferguson through injury & Brett Emerton took a while to settle down.

Least we have the fun of the playoffs til Euro 2004,i reckon its worth sticking a bit of dosh on Huddersfield, Bristol City & Crystal Palace to win.

Mediocre Rich

Quote from: "king mob"Van Nistlerooy wondering where he left Beckhams number

Absolute cock rot.  You can stick your mass prodused received opinions up your arse.

Fergie was right to sell Beckham, as anyone who saw his ego ridden selfish displays last season can see.  As Sir Alex knows their is no flash-media-hype-beleiving-tit in team.  Just ask Phil and Gary!

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: "hands cold, liver warm"I can't understand why you lot are slagging off blackburn rovers. Sure we had a disappointing season but with the loss of our two most creative midfielders, we were always going to struggle.

Blackburn might have got "Bargain Of The Season" by picking up that John Stead for a million. I remember seeing a list of his goals, and I think all of them were either winners of equalisers. Always nice to see lads from the lower divisions do well at the top.

Peking O

Quote from: "Partridge's Love Child"However, I was chatting to a fellow the other week about football.  He's a West Ham fan and a little older than me.  He pointed out that when he was a kid, the players were you idols - you loved them, some of them were local boys, and even if they weren't, you felt they wanted to see the club succeed as much as you did.  Now, you hate the players - especially if they can't cut the mustard.

One thing that bothers me about the game these days is spectators booing their own players (not that I'm acusing you or your mate of doing that). If you're commited to a club you stick by them through thick and thin, and if a player is not playing so well you should get behind them, not berate them. I'm a West Ham fan too, and I've seen our captain Christian Dailly receive torrents of abuse from his own fans this season. Dailly is admittedly a player of limited ability (he is the Scotland captain after all!), but while he's wearing the Hammers shirt for 90 minutes I think it's important to get behind him and the team.

king mob

Quote from: "Mediocre Rich"
Quote from: "king mob"Van Nistlerooy wondering where he left Beckhams number

Absolute cock rot.  You can stick your mass prodused received opinions up your arse.

Fergie was right to sell Beckham, as anyone who saw his ego ridden selfish displays last season can see.  As Sir Alex knows their is no flash-media-hype-beleiving-tit in team.  Just ask Phil and Gary!

Van Nistlerooy has suffered from someone of Beckhams quality this season, Ronaldo has a while to match his quality of crosses & thats why he didnt score as much as he did last year.
I would never call Beckham selfish on the pitch, if anything he fits in as a team player as witnessed with his play with Gary Neville at his time at Man Utd, he  is a ego but if its a player that performs to the standard he constantly did then its something you can allow.
Part of Man Utd problem is the general quality of the last few seasons of the Premiership but while Arsenal get better and better & Chelsea are buying their way into quality Fergie has been left behind.This is why he's trying to buy young quality players like Ronaldo & Liam Miller.

I would ask Phil & Gary but i dont have any crayons for them to write their opinions with.;)

chand

Quote from: "king mob"Its not, but if you set high standards and fail you'll get caught out.Chelsea finished 2nd & got the semis of the Champions League with even more new players.

For my money though, apart from Damien Duff, Chelsea's better players this season were the ones they already had pre-Abramovich.

As for the Beckham thing, well in the 2001-2 season we lost 9 Premiership games with him around, same as this year. Without even an FA Cup final to cling to. Real Madrid won no trophies this year, with him and all their galacticos. Funny old game, innit. I'm not saying he's a shit player, because that's absurd, but I don't think he would have saved us this season, I think the damage was done in late January and February where we slipped from first to 7 points behind Arsenal courtesy of losing our central defence.

mayer

Quote from: "chand"I think the damage was done in late January and February where we slipped from first to 7 points behind Arsenal courtesy of losing our central defence.

i have to concur here.

r.e. Ferdinand, i thought the ban was excessive, but it didn't need to be the Title-deciding blow which it ended up as. Ferguson should've bought a central defender in the transfer window, and i'm still confused as to why he didn't.

chand

Well, when Wes Brown finally got his form back he played well enough to have people talking about an England call-up, but for the first month or so he was a stumbling, slow to react, nervous wreck. You could see that after the first couple of games his confidence was completely shot, as exemplified by the penalty he conceded in the FA Cup, when the ball was his but he panicked, threw himself recklessly at it and scythed Boa Morte down needlessly.

I still don't know how much effect a new defender would have made, defending is such a team effort. Even our top defenders of recent years like Ferdinand and Stam took months to settle in and received massive criticism in their early United careers. Defence is difficult to find a quick fix for.

Definitely looking forward to next season, I remember the first couple of games Saha and van Nistelrooy played together and being genuinely excited at the idea of a real good up-front pairing. The little link-ups they did (with Scholes as a third man) reminded me of the stuff Cole and Yorke used to pull off in their heyday. I would really like to see United next year, going for it with a stable defence and an attacking five of Giggs, Scholes, van Nistelrooy, Saha and Ronaldo.

king mob

Quote from: "chand"
Quote from: "king mob"Its not, but if you set high standards and fail you'll get caught out.Chelsea finished 2nd & got the semis of the Champions League with even more new players.

For my money though, apart from Damien Duff, Chelsea's better players this season were the ones they already had pre-Abramovich.

As for the Beckham thing, well in the 2001-2 season we lost 9 Premiership games with him around, same as this year. Without even an FA Cup final to cling to. Real Madrid won no trophies this year, with him and all their galacticos. Funny old game, innit. I'm not saying he's a shit player, because that's absurd, but I don't think he would have saved us this season, I think the damage was done in late January and February where we slipped from first to 7 points behind Arsenal courtesy of losing our central defence.

Its true to say that Duff was the new player to make a real impact from the start but not the only new one, Glen Johnson performed well & Makalele was in a different class when he could be arsed.

Real needed to get some quality defenders last season & they spent their money on Beckham, this summer thats likely to change but teams like Monaco & Porto have shown that spunking shitloads on big players is not a guarentee of success.
Beckham is quality & performing better for Real than i expected, whether he stays at Real is debatable but its probably best if hes stays to give it one more year.

I think the problem with Utd in the latter half of the season has been going forward, not the defence.  Yes, Ferdinand being banned was a bigger blow than expected, and yes Brown was wobbly for the first few games.  However, he has begun to look like the great defender we know he could still grow to be, yet Utd still lost games and have only won one of their last five games.  They failed to score in three of those games - this has to tell you something.  The attacking play has been poor.  Attack is the best form of defence, if you're down the other end the whole game, you're less likely to conceed down the other end.  However, if all your attacks have a blunt edge and are cut out before you've even got into the penalty area, there's more time spent in midfield and perhaps in your area.  Even if your defence is good, the more time the opposition has to pop up with a scrappy goal.  I cannot think of a single performance from Utd this season where at the final whistle I've thought they've played really well - a view shared by St Scholes I notice.  This is one of the reasons I'm worried - some of the players we have can't cut it, whereas Chelsea regularly have the likes of Duff on the bench, and Arsenal's Edu, usually a sub, won a Player of the Month award this season.  As far as I'm aware, only one Utd player picked up a similar honour this year - guess who...