Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:39:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Football 2010/2011 Season

Started by rudi, July 02, 2010, 11:45:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rudi

New season, new thread.

Does anyone have any firmer news about Spurs' possible signing of Cole, Simon Kjaer and Edinson Cavani? I like the latter two for only £28m, but Cole? I guess it depends on the money really. No need to unsettle the squad (and our niggardly pay-cap) for one good but not amaaaaazing player, is there?

We've def got that Blackwood kid from Arsenal, who I remember heaing being bigged up last year and we have that keeper on a year long loan, which again I think is smart work (Pletikosa, needed to look it up!). Oh for a decent LB though, that'd be smashing.

So yes, new season, same old Spurs chat. Hoo hoo!

the midnight watch baboon

I'm still unsure of our strikers,  I guess Keane'll probably move on. Maybe Pav too? He's good for hot streaks, but not sure he could catapult us a notch up the table were he to spearhead the attack all season. I agree about the LB position, as fun as BAE is the man's a walking penalty-conceeding machine.

We've got the Brazilian kid Sandro too for DCM.

rudi

Yeah, I can't wait to see Sandro play; again, a great signing I think as Wilson does get tired after a run of games. I'm hoping Walker steps up as cover for Charlie at RB - I love the guy but he's certainly lost a couple of yards.

I'd still rather we spent any chunk of cash we have on a goalscorer rather than Cole who'll surely only play if either Modric is out (not great) or Bale plays at LB (a bloody liability)?

Oh joy - just heard Yaya's off to Eastlands. They've just signed Silva too haven't they? Ugh.

chand

Quote from: rudi on July 02, 2010, 11:45:23 AMDoes anyone have any firmer news about Spurs' possible signing of Cole, Simon Kjaer and Edinson Cavani? I like the latter two for only £28m, but Cole? I guess it depends on the money really. No need to unsettle the squad (and our niggardly pay-cap) for one good but not amaaaaazing player, is there?

Palermo back-tracked on their claim that Spurs had made that 28m offer for Kjaer and Cavani. What I heard was that Spurs are interested in Kjaer along with a lot of other clubs, but not that bothered about Cavani. Which makes sense, the Cavani thing seemed a surprise to me; Spurs don't really need another striker unless they're obviously a class above the ones they have, which I'm not sure you can say about Uruguay's third-best and not particularly prolific striker.

boki

So, err, Nigel Pearson leaving Leicester to become Actual Manager, Yes We've Finally Appointed One at Hull City - sideways move at best, Shirley?

GoochDogHigh5s

Fuck you premiership boys
The World Cup has proved that you lot are paying over inflated prices to see a bunch of talentless cunts

COME ON YOU O's

GoochDogHigh5s

Quote from: rudi on July 02, 2010, 11:45:23 AM
New season, new thread.

Does anyone have any firmer news about Spurs' possible signing of Cole, Simon Kjaer and Edinson Cavani? I like the latter two for only £28m, but Cole?
£28m??!!!!
Teams are going bust for a few grand
Well done for helping to kill English football

Utter Shit

Yeah £28m for two of the star players at a Champions' League chasing team from one of the top European leagues is ridiculous, isn't it. Incidentally, if by "O's" you mean Orient, perhaps you should have a think about the fact that the team you're claiming is killing football sends you some of their best young talent every year, as well as playing a pre-season friendly every year that helps you out with your budget.

GoochDogHigh5s

Quote from: Utter Shit on July 02, 2010, 06:57:11 PM
Yeah £28m for two of the star players at a Champions' League chasing team from one of the top European leagues is ridiculous, isn't it. Incidentally, if by "O's" you mean Orient, perhaps you should have a think about the fact that the team you're claiming is killing football sends you some of their best young talent every year, as well as playing a pre-season friendly every year that helps you out with your budget.
Patronising , as usual zzzzzz
We aint played you for about 4 years, when you put put your youth team .AND if you think that a 4000 gate in a friendly helps out, then you know nuffin about lower league football

And name me one bit of talent that you have sent us since we paid money for Ralph Coates?

End of conversation

rudi

Quote from: GoochDogHigh5s on July 02, 2010, 06:44:17 PM
Fuck you premiership boys
The World Cup has proved that you lot are paying over inflated prices to see a bunch of talentless cunts[/quote

Apart from the ones that did (and are doing) rather well you mean?

QuoteCOME ON YOU O's

Ah, so youre paying the correct amount to see less talented cunts than the talentless cunts we're watching? Well go you. How plucky.

rudi

Quote from: GoochDogHigh5s on July 02, 2010, 08:04:20 PM
a 4000 gate in a friendly

Ah, that'll be why Spurs can afford to pay £28m for two players. It's all those people going to watch them, yeah...?

Mr Colossal

kjaer is one of the biggest prospects in world football.   with 2 proven seasons in italian top flight football under his belt and only being 21- when you factor in the seasons he'll notch up before the big money bids he'll eventually command if he fulfils his potential, half of that fee is still probably a steal.

The Plunger

What's the deal with Hutton then ? I know he had that loan spell at Sunderland, but I think they've signed another RB. So what will 'Arry in his infinite wisdom do with him, given that he obviously doesn't rate him ?

And rumours abound up here that Keane will return to Celtic on a permanent deal (or if not, another years loan), with Celtic chairman Lawell picking up most of the wages/fee from his own pocket, as per last seasons loan deal. I could understand the logic in that from Keane's perspective a year ago (guaranteed Champions League football). But the worm has turned - Celtic aren't guaranteed this by any means this season. The big European nights are great, but the day-to-day SPL games are shite, on shite pitches, against shite players.

Barberism

What's the deal with Silva then? Did none of the other big clubs fancy him or were they just outbid by City? He could either be unable to hack the premiership or he could be absolutely amazing.

Mr Colossal

United seemed to be perpetually linked to him, but wingers arent exactly their weakest position.  Its only liverpool out of the 'big 4' sides that are really lacking in the wing department and considering his transfer fee would swallow up a sizeable majority of most clubs transfer budget,  i'd say it was a combination of lack of interest and city having the readies....  Silva and Johnson on the top of their game sounds quite a frightening combination down the flanks.  The liverpool /man city/ tottenham mini league thats opened up for fourth place (and whether they'll demote anybody above them!) will certainly be interesting this year...

phes

Cole would only be a replacement for Modric if he's played out of position. Hopefully wherever he goes he'll play in the centre or on the right. Another player that fucked years of development at Chelsea.

I have to get this out of my system:

Whenever I see the username 'Utter Shit', my brain gives a distorted echo of 'Utter Cunt'. A simple fact.

This information should not be interpreted as a slur on Utter Shit (*Utter Cunt*) because I'd do a proper slur if I had the will+interest. I just have to release this knowledge in the hope that it discontinues.

In fact, I have plenty of these, on reflection: The Croston Bab, Shoulders? Toksvig!, Caledonian Gonch, Alan Nadgeworth, Lookalike Mark Hastings (?), Neil Nelson, cock-a-mook, thepuffpastrywankmag, Brownloads (Rowlands). It appears I have echoed distortions of many of you floating around my brain. I think not being on here very often recently has made this sensation more acute when I experience it.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I don't mind Spurs so much, but in a cunt contest with Leyton Orient, Spurs are going to lose. I appreciate Spurs fans won't see it that way, but I'm perfectly prepared to admit Newcastle massively out-cunt Gateshead.

Orient did hire Peter Shilton for that ridiculous charade though.

mikeyg27

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 03, 2010, 11:20:05 AM

Heh, I saw Shilton's first game for Orient. Missed the Big One-Oh-Oh-Oh milestone though, some family do or some such bullshit.

GoochDogHigh5s

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 03, 2010, 11:20:05 AM

Yeah, one of Barry Hearn's 'great' ideas
At least we beat Brighton that day mind

rudi

Quote from: The Plunger on July 03, 2010, 12:14:06 AM
What's the deal with Hutton then ? I know he had that loan spell at Sunderland, but I think they've signed another RB. So what will 'Arry in his infinite wisdom do with him, given that he obviously doesn't rate him ?

And rumours abound up here that Keane will return to Celtic on a permanent deal (or if not, another years loan), with Celtic chairman Lawell picking up most of the wages/fee from his own pocket, as per last seasons loan deal. I could understand the logic in that from Keane's perspective a year ago (guaranteed Champions League football). But the worm has turned - Celtic aren't guaranteed this by any means this season. The big European nights are great, but the day-to-day SPL games are shite, on shite pitches, against shite players.

I'll be genuiinely surprised if either player reaches the end of the transfer window still employed by Spurs. Hutton's an average player and is a liability off the pitch. He proves very popular in Sunderland so I wouldn't be shocked to see him go there permanently. As for Keane, his days are numbered at WHL, but where he'll be off to is a total mystery.

chand

Quote from: Mr Colossal on July 03, 2010, 10:18:32 AM
United seemed to be perpetually linked to him, but wingers arent exactly their weakest position.

Yeah, we were linked with him last year when our situation with wingers seemed more uncertain. Since then Valencia has proved himself capable (nowhere near the most skilful winger, but crudely effective and creates a fuckload of chances), Nani has come back strongly and will merit a place in the first XI when he comes back, Giggs while ancient still creates, and watching Park for South Korea reminded me how lucky we are to have a player of his calibre warming the bench. Fergie seems to like Obertan as well so he'll take the wild card slot, we're pretty well-stocked in the wide positions. The question marks are primarily in central midfield (what we'll get next year out of Carrick, Hargreaves, Anderson and Gibson is a total mystery) so if we were to spend big money it would probably be there.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I'd like to see the financial outlay on central midfielders by Man United since the breakup of the reliable Keane/Butt/Scholes system.

Veron, Anderson, Carrick, Hargreaves. You must be talking about 90 million quid there for a guy that couldn't run, a guy that can run and not much else, a guy who doesn't run if he can help it and a guy that is mainly seen running on crutches.

Add to that figures like Miller/Djemba-Djemba/Kleberson/Smith...and you're over 100 million quid down on unnecessary or unwise transfers to fill 2 squad positions that had been nailed down for a decade for a few million quid.

Slaaaaabs

You forget the guy that cost fuck all and is the best of the lot in my opinion.

phes

At least you're not about to pay best part of 30ml for James Milner; A guy whose value has inexplicably tripled twice in 5 years.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

That's even more my point- you've got Fletcher and Gibson who were inexpensive and at the same standard and better than of some of these wastes of tens of millions of pounds. I wish there was a world where Man United couldn't actually afford to be so profligate and get away with it.

jimmy jazz

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 03, 2010, 01:37:49 PM
Add to that figures like Miller/Djemba-Djemba/Kleberson/Smith...and you're over 100 million quid down on unnecessary or unwise transfers to fill 2 squad positions that had been nailed down for a decade for a few million quid.

100 million pounds, three league titles and a european cup. And you're forgetting the money recouped from selling the players on, even if it only lessens the deficit.

chand

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 03, 2010, 01:37:49 PM
I'd like to see the financial outlay on central midfielders by Man United since the breakup of the reliable Keane/Butt/Scholes system.

Veron, Anderson, Carrick, Hargreaves. You must be talking about 90 million quid there for a guy that couldn't run, a guy that can run and not much else, a guy who doesn't run if he can help it and a guy that is mainly seen running on crutches.

Kind of all over the place there. Veron was one of the best players in the world at the time, he was bought to add an extra dimension to our team. It didn't work out but he had some incredible games for us, some of his passing was unreal. Carrick was bought at a time when Roy Keane had left and Scholes was blind; he was an integral part of three Premier League winning sides and has played 188 games in four seasons so I would consider his purchase neither unnecessary nor unwise. Anderson is a type of player we don't have who was bought for his potential, the jury is still out on him, he was very promising in his first season, patchy in his second but looked good before his injury last season, but he's played plenty of games. Manchester United play in four competitions every season and need squad depth given that Scholes is in his mid-30s.

Liam Miller was a free transfer, Alan Smith was bought as a striker to take the place of the departing Diego Forlan. Djemba-Djemba and Kleberson were bought as cheap-ish prospects at a time where Butt was falling out of favour and Fletcher was yet to establish himself.

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 03, 2010, 02:16:10 PM
That's even more my point- you've got Fletcher and Gibson who were inexpensive and at the same standard and better than of some of these wastes of tens of millions of pounds. I wish there was a world where Man United couldn't actually afford to be so profligate and get away with it.

Aren't you the guy who was suggesting last season that United shouldn't have a youth team because they can afford to buy players? Is there any room in your imagination for a team that has both a youth policy and also signs players?

chand

Quote from: jimmy jazz on July 03, 2010, 02:32:50 PM
100 million pounds, three league titles and a european cup. And you're forgetting the money recouped from selling the players on, even if it only lessens the deficit.

According to this site, United's average nett spend per season since the start of the Premier League is less than £7m per season, less than Villa and Spurs.

Mr Colossal

I think uniteds problem with the midfield, stemming back from the veron signing, is a combination of certain players not 'expiring' so we've looked for patch up  jobs and bought into a lot of projected young potential rather than complete overhauls (ie - if scholes and giggs suddenly retired, fergie might just have had to bust the piggybank for another world class attacking midfielder- and if you discount djemba djemba, he didnt go out to try find another 'keane' replacement) and fergie trying to perfect his milan-esque 4-5-1 - with two holding players doing keanes work- which has only just started bearing fruit with rooney- because Van Nistelrooy, being such a prolific handful, was the perfect striker to base such a system around...      Before there was an abundance of wingers and pace in the form of nani, valencia etc. we just looked far too flat with one up top and no service, and some of the attacking and games where we needed goals were painful to watch.