Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,826
  • Latest: bozza
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,581,032
  • Total Topics: 106,710
  • Online Today: 533
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 05:02:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Football 2010/2011 Season

Started by rudi, July 02, 2010, 11:45:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viero_Berlotti

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 15, 2010, 02:43:34 PM
Fucking hell....
See, even the nutcases in Brazilian football are better than in England. What's the best England can produce? Joey 'Fucking' Barton?

Slaaaaabs

Quote from: Lee Van Cleef on July 15, 2010, 02:23:42 PM
Yahoo/Eurosport is saying that Man Utd are interested in Lahm and may exchange Park for him.

I bloody hope not.

Nah. Schweinsteiger maybe.

Danger Man

Quote from: rjd2 on July 15, 2010, 02:41:20 PM
Souza was taken in handcuffs from his prison cell for DNA testing on Monday to establish a physical link to the murder. But he exercised his legal right to refuse to give any samples.Souza, who captained his team to the Brazilian championship last year, said he is innocent and has a "clear conscience." He complained that the case might spoil his chance to play for Brazil in the next World Cup..

If he can get Gerrard's lawyers he should be ok.

koeman

Goalkeepers are always a bit mad though, aren't they?

GoochDogHigh5s

Anyway,
Who do you think will get promoted from the Championship?

There are some great teams there

Forest , (cheating ) Leeds, Cardiff ,   Hull   Ipswich   Leeds United   Leicester Millwall Norwich and Portsmouth?

rudi

Pompey look like they'll be starting with half a squad, a transfer embargo and a points penalty so I think you'll get fairly long odds on their swift return.

niat

The Duck Man

Boro and Forest have the strongest squads, followed by Cardiff. Notionally they should be there or thereabouts, although Cardiff have financial difficulties. Otherwise everyone's shit, and being less shit than most will see you high up the table. Which is what makes it the best league in the world, of course.

chand

City don't make things easy on themselves, do they? http://www.mcfc.co.uk/News/Reserves-news/2010/July/Elite-Squad-fixtures-released

QuoteCity's Elite Squad – formerly known as the club's Reserve side...

Has the fingerprints of Garry Cock all over it.

The Plunger

Quote from: chand on July 17, 2010, 12:05:46 AM
City don't make things easy on themselves, do they?

That seems like a shockingly bad bit of PR. They may well have a reserve squad littered with million+ players, but 'elite' is taking the piss. If they were that fucking 'elite' they'd be in a first team somewhere. Actually, can they call their reserves that ? Will they be allowed to play in the reserve league if they're an 'elite' team ? Interesting stuff.

Viero_Berlotti

City don't make things easy on themselves, do they?

Have you seen the adverts on the side of buses around town proclaiming "This will be Man City's best season ever".

They just don't learn do they, it may well turn out they win the league, but if they don't and do the same or less than last season then they will just look like complete tits, like they did last year to a certain extent.

Why blow your trumpet before a ball has even been kicked? Just keep your mouths shut, and then when you do win the league it will be all the more sweet.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Viero_Berlotti

You may laugh my friend, but he who lasts last laughs loudest. Get me?

Doctor Stamen

City don't make things easy on themselves, do they? http://www.mcfc.co.uk/News/Reserves-news/2010/July/Elite-Squad-fixtures-released

Has the fingerprints of Garry Cock all over it.

They're so "elite" they didn't even win their regional division last year.

Mr Colossal

Looking at the photo on this thread, last season city had a poster in their dressing room with the mantra 7 CITY ELITE BEHAVIOURS!

http://www.mancityfans.net/mcfnet/viewtopic.php?f=119&t=27342&start=0

although I cant quite read them or find anything on google telling us what these 'behaviours' might be...   Did they bring in some kind of self-help guru to give them the mindset of WINNARRS!

George Oscar Bluth II

So elite, they can't make the first team. Bizarre.

Emma Raducanu

First team positions would be made availiable to them if they were so "elite"!

Spurs vs. San Jose Earthquakes live on ESPN now with American Commentary.

Dear Sirs,

I had to laugh at Manchester City's rebranding of their reserve team. If these players really were so 'elite', surely they'd be occupying a place in the Starting XI!

Kind Regards.

Mr Colossal

Just watching the repeat of the man united celtic game.  Berbatov showing signs that he might just have got his arse into gear over the summer holidays.  Giggs and Scholoes playing but hes actually looking like the most 'senior' player,   hope he keeps this up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVRzNx1Dhf8

localhero87

I highly doubt he has got his arse into gear. In fact, I think any hard work is impossibly for Dimitar.

Anyway, rumour mills today suggest Man Utd are flogging him as bargaining tools right now to get some much needed reinforcements for the defence. Good idea.

Berbatov has and probably never will fit the bill at Man Utd. Your lot (I assume you're a Man Utd fan, apologies if you are/are not) need to sell up, get as much money back as possible, then proceed to spend it more wisely.

chand

Quote from: localhero87 on July 18, 2010, 12:48:54 PMAnyway, rumour mills today suggest Man Utd are flogging him as bargaining tools right now to get some much needed reinforcements for the defence. Good idea.

That's an old rumour that's been floating about for a week, wouldn't believe a word of it. I'll put it this way, one of the rumours in today's papers is that Ibrahimovic might go to Fulham, because he shares the same agent as Martin Jol.

The Duck Man

Apparently City are actually calling it the "Elite under-21 squad", which deflates the pomposity of it a little. Not all that much though.

I was just reading about how City have sponspored Hyde United and paid for a refurbishment for their Ewen Fields ground, where their reserves will play this season. However, Hyde also happen to have removed United from their name and changed their kit from red to black and white.

Because of course the vast supporter army of Manchester City reserves wouldn't want their sensibilities offended by such words and colours. Better to assimilate a lower-league club and replace all the signs at their ground.

Slaaaaabs

Well Berbatov certainly looks leaner than last season, and that game will give him the confidence his game relies on, both in terms of finishing and the two sublime assists he made. Would love to see him start the season with a bit of momentum.

actwithoutwords

Flashes of brilliance against poor sides in games that don't matter is something that's been desperately missing from Berbatov's game alright.

Mr Colossal

well he needed an attitude adjustment and to start playing like the 29 year old player that was given the captaincy of his national side and prove he can dig a bit deeper when necessary and grab a game by the balls and make that difference.  He's retired from internal duty to concentrate on his career at united (although there were criticisms from the likes of letchkov that he wasnt pulling his weight last year) and will undoubtedly be pissed off with the criticism he's received over the last two seasons...  I dont doubt his ability for a second and he looks like hes put the work in over summer. Although I think this season hes in pretty much last chance saloon territory both in terms of his place at united and the direction of his career as a player, and hes probably realised that.   I think fergie would have offloaded him if he thought he was beyond repair.

localhero87

Quote from: Slaaaaabs on July 18, 2010, 01:20:39 PM
Well Berbatov certainly looks leaner than last season, and that game will give him the confidence his game relies on, both in terms of finishing and the two sublime assists he made. Would love to see him start the season with a bit of momentum.

Seriously?

He scored a goal in a friendly. Well done.

Leon best scored a goal for us (Newcastle) against Carlisle yesterday. Doesn't mean he isnt shit.

By the way, I never doubt his ability either, he's a great player, but Berbatov has flopped at Man Utd and will continue to do so until Fergie admits his mistakes and retains some respect out of the deal by getting some of the money back.

alcoholic messiah

Scholes played superbly in a deep-lying role*, Obertan was a constant threat down the right, and Smalling looked confident and very comfortable on the ball.

Berbatov's performance wasn't too far removed from the usual: he created chances for others, displayed sublime skill on several occasions, but didn't make the most of his own opportunities in front of goal, and quick-break attacks tended to lose momentum when the ball found him. There was also a distinct lack of interplay with either of his strike partners (Diouf, then Macheda), and they were often marginalised for long periods of play.

I was keen to see what Tom Cleverley was made of, but despite scoring it wasn't a stellar performance. He showed plenty of energy and bustle, but not too much composure.

* I'd love to see how United would fare playing a Milan-esque system, with Scholes in the deep playmaking Pirlo role, supported by Fletcher and Hargreaves.

rudi

localhero87

Newcastle were linked with Tom Cleverley on a loan period. Still undecided whether thats in any way beneficial to the toon or whether he'd get a regular spot. I'd like to see a bit more of him playing.