Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:32:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Harry Potter 7 (probable spoilers)

Started by Santa's Boyfriend, July 03, 2010, 10:13:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What's your favourite Potter book that you've just made up?

Harry Potter and the Ever-filling Money Pot
0 (0%)
Harry Potter and The The
3 (37.5%)
Harry Potter and the Worst Witch take Vegas
2 (25%)
Harry Potter and the Wheelchair of Stephen Hawking
1 (12.5%)
Harry Potter Vs Predator
2 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Turgid Bosun

Quote from: sirhenry on November 29, 2010, 08:52:33 PM
Which in turn was based on portraits by a surrealist photographer (possibly Man Ray) of people completely covered in paper (usually crumpled up balls of the stuff).
Interesting, I didn't know that - that scene did stand out to me as a particularly powerful image. That is indeed the bit I was referring to, and thanks for finding it All Surrogate. Obviously the HP one was a lot more subtle[nb]I'm glad that apparently I didn't completely imagine it, though![/nb], to the extent that I couldn't say whether it was a actual reference or just a coincidence/general similarity. I think I'll assume it was deliberate as that allows me to continue to feel pleased with myself for spotting it. I do hate wasted smugness.

All Surrogate

I was not aware of that, sirhenry; thanks.  I've had a quick search online, but could not find the original images.  Shame.  However, speaking of surrealists, I am reminded of The Lovers series by Magritte.

sirhenry

I had a long (and very enjoyable) search earlier with no luck, so my contact at Tate Modern is going to find out for us.

Yes, it is a very Magritte-like image.

Santa's Boyfriend

What uniform were the fascist army figures wearing in the Ministry of Magic?  They looked exactly like the uniforms worn by the footsolidiers in the graphic novel version of V for Vendetta - both of which I assume are based on the same thing, but I couldn't pin it down.  Or perhaps it's a general fascistic uniform without referencing any particular form of fascism?