Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:40:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Mong a mix

Started by sirhenry, July 04, 2010, 08:55:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sirhenry

Radiomong - an audio equivalent of Wimblemong.
devised by Delete Delete Delete and Sir Henry

Create a mix lasting 30 - 45 minutes based around a theme. Mixes will be played on CaB radio every other Thursday at 9, and listeners will vote for their favourite. After the show the results, playlists and links will be posted here, along with the theme(s) for the next round. Once there are enough winners there will be knockout rounds with the final winner being crowned Radiomonger of the Year.

Mixes can be made however you like, but for those who haven't tried before Audacity and Reaper are both free programs for putting together music and speech.

The format:

Intro: introduce yourself so we know who the mix is by
Music: 10 - 15 minutes (2-4) tracks with announcing
Talkie bit:  10 -15 minutes of non-music (talking, Skype, comedy clip(s))
Music: 10 - 15 minutes (2-4) tracks with announcing
Outro: naming yourself in case we've forgotten
(times are intended as a guide only)

So to get us started, the first theme is

Sex Mix
Music: seduction music
Talkie bit:  sex tips
Music: music to have sex to

Then upload it and send Sir Henry the link and all the mixes will be played on Thursday 15th July from 9

30 minutes of sex - you know you can do it

NoSleep

I want to do this, but don't think I'll have the time for this week's.

Edit: Just realised there's two weeks to get it done; count me in.

Ted-Maul

Say 2 people put the same songs in their mix? Or the same clip or whatever?

NoSleep

sirhenry

Quote from: Ted-Maul on July 05, 2010, 11:37:53 AM
Bound to happen at some point. Not a problem. 1 person putting the same song in their mix repeatedly could be a problem, depends how it's done.

And by 'could be a problem' I mean that the mix is less likely to win, that's all.

ziggy starbucks

Quote from: Ted-Maul on July 05, 2010, 11:37:53 AM

I imagine this will be the case with Burl Ives' Wayfaring Stranger

trench

Is 2-4 songs per section a rule or can we use more if we wish? Either way, I'm in.

sirhenry

All rules are flexible. Only the Music - Notmusic -Music format is less so.

dr_christian_troy

Quote from: sirhenry on July 06, 2010, 12:30:59 AM
All rules are flexible. Only the Music - Notmusic -Music format is less so.

Are you allowed to talk while there's music in the background (as long as you say what it is)?

boki

Whoa, whoa - sex with rules?  I'm not that kinky!

sirhenry

Quote from: dr_christian_troy on July 06, 2010, 10:48:12 AM
Are you allowed to talk while there's music in the background (as long as you say what it is)?
Now you're just trying to be professionalclever. If you can work out how to do it, fire away!

QuoteWhoa, whoa - sex with rules?  I'm not that kinky!
Don't worry, the safe word is in Turkish and unpronounceable.

So heres the scoring system, each of the three sections is given votes by verbwhores in the chat room out of  ten and the average is taken, each section is then added together to get a score out of thirty. The highest score out of thirty at the end wins.

sirhenry

Quote from: Delete Delete Delete on July 08, 2010, 08:08:31 PM
The highest score out of thirty at the end wins.
Um, don't you mean 'The winner is the one with the highest score when everyone's votes are counted'?
Or is there one judge?

If so everyone should vote before Neil's show on Sunday and he can announce the results then.
He could even get a premium phoneline and get some more cash for running the site...

How does that sound?

Quote from: sirhenry on July 09, 2010, 02:15:28 AM
Um, don't you mean 'The winner is the one with the highest score when everyone's votes are counted'?
Or is there one judge?

If so everyone should vote before Neil's show on Sunday and he can announce the results then.
He could even get a premium phoneline and get some more cash for running the site...

How does that sound?
No people vote on the mix as it goes out, so people vote on every mix. The maximum possible score will be thirty, you can score up to ten points for each section of the mix. Actually scrap that I think its possibly better to post the mixs up in the thread, and let people vote for there favorite like they do in wimblemong, that way if they miss any of the mixs going out, they can still grab them, listen to them and vote on them? Does that sound better?

falafel

BUT THEN IT'S NOT LIKE EUROVISION.

Voting would probably be easier but it might spoil the fun of it being broadcast.

I'm doing a mix, by the way.

NoSleep

Even Eurovision only expects you to judge maximum of 5 minutes per entrant. If more than 3 or 4 people enter this it becomes a commitment for judges or audience to give full attention for 30-40 minutes per entrant. Wimblemong works on the impact of seeing each entry in its entirety immediately, even if the full meaning takes a few moments to unfold.

I think I remember Chomsky saying something about presenting a new idea taking about 8 minutes or so, which I think could be considered for subsequent mong mixes. Still; let's see this first one through with the rules in place and see how it goes.

Ted-Maul

i've done one....it's my first ever one so be kind. I've exported it from Reaper into an MP3 but dont know what to do next to get it into the competition. Where do I upload it to?

sirhenry

There are various upload sites you can send it to:
sendspace
megaupload
filefactory
mediafire
yousendit
They all work basically the same - you browse your computer for the file to send, upload it (remember that uploading usually runs at about a tenth of the speed of downloading) and at the end it creates a link to the file.
Send the link by pm to the host (me this week).

And that's it.

hpmons

Quote from: sirhenry on July 04, 2010, 08:55:45 PM

Sex Mix
Music: seduction music
Talkie bit:  sex tips
Music: music to have sex to

You can have two talkie bits, right? Or...does the format have to stick to that? Does the talkie bit have to be sex tips, or just generally relating to sex?

well theres gotta be at least 10 minutes of each section there, and the headings can be interpreted as you see fit.

sirhenry

WARNING!

You only have 2 more days to send me your mixes for this. Deadline is 6pm on Thursday.
Delete and I need serious (or comic) sexing up - please help!

NoSleep

Hopefully I'll get mine sorted by Wednesday or Thursday.

falafel

Me too. I'm having a bit of trouble with my French mistress but hopefully I should have her nailed (wahey) by this evening.

dr_christian_troy

Mine should be ready by tomorrow, although the main issue at the moment is editing. I'm at about 46.15 in total and I still need to squeeze in an outro!

dr_christian_troy

My mix is ready! Before I send the link though, I'm concerned on two counts - the mix comes out at 47.47, and I'm a wee anxious about the sound levels, although having now listened to it as an mp3, it's only really a bit of hissing at the beginning. Generally I think the talking bits are fine. I think.

So, 47.47, is that a no-no?

sirhenry

The 3 mixes I've downloaded so far are 30, 35 and 45 minutes long, so 47 isn't too far out I suppose.

But next time people please try to be a bit more ruthless. If the rest are all over the half hour this night may have to be split in two and have half this week and half next. And I'm certain that at least one mix will come in on Friday. There's always one...

dr_christian_troy

Sent.

I generally consider decent 'sex music' as such to be rather long tracks, and I can't think of another theme in which long tracks are necessary, so it shouldn't be an issue again. Editing was a pain!

falafel

Quote from: dr_christian_troy on July 14, 2010, 02:52:24 PM
I can't think of another theme in which long tracks are necessary

As long as the next theme isn't "The Misery of War" or "Endurance"