Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 10:01:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Boredoms!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Started by alan nagsworth, July 05, 2010, 08:07:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan nagsworth

First of all, I'd like to bring to your attention that the huge 77 Boa Drum performance that took place three years ago this wednesday (7/7/07 at 7:07pm innit) is scheduled for a DVD release!

QuoteOn July 7th, 2007 at 7:07 PM, Japanese group Boredoms, orchestrated a performance by 77 drummers at the Empire-Fulton Ferry State Park in Brooklyn, NY. Nearly three years later, the experience is finally making its way to DVD. 77 Boa Drum is the official live performance documentary of the event, complete with behind the scenes rehearsal footage, interviews, and of course, lots of footage of the actual performance.

The momentous event was filmed by Jun Kawaguchi and his crew, web-TV sites like VBS TV, Viva-Radio, and several unknown You Tube cameramen. Kawaguchi, a big fan of Boredoms, had spent a decade chronicling the band's live performances and the 77 Boa Drum concert was no different. After editing his footage together with live footage captured and posted on You Tube, the 89 minute documentary was born.

The DVD will see release in the US on Thrill Jockey Records on September 7th and come with a series of photo postcards not available in the Japanese edition.

http://www.thrilljockey.com/catalog/?id=104974

This band is wonderful, there's no denying that simple fact. However, I find it quite hard to dip into their vast back catalogue of numerous releases as I'm always wary of the extreme noise stuff which I find it hard to enjoy. 'Pop Tatari' has its moments but there's a lot of screeching and whatnot that I just can't get into. So, I was wondering if anyone could recommend stuff that is more in the vein of OOIOO, or the Boredoms album 'Vision Creation Newsun' which I absolutely love. Tips plz!

Also obviously here is a space to express your love and thoughts on the work of this awe-inspiring musical project.

alan nagsworth

Oi you cunts. Sort your shit out and recommend me some fucking stuff. Cocks. Love you.

defmem

How about his DJ Chaos X stuff? I've not given it a proper listen yet, but the Live Mixxx album seems to be a nice mix of noise, a bit of ambience and alot of samples!

Also, I can't stress enough how much  i love Yohimi & Yuka's Flower with No Color, although I did a little bit in the Japanese music thread. Brilliant brilliant ambience.

hummingofevil

Erm? Ok. Super Roots series are a bit mental at times but I love one of them. Either 6 or 9. I think its 9! Its great.

Give it a go.

And of course the John Zorn Naked City stuff is fun. The Boredom's main dude does vocals. I think.

(As you can tell my knowledge of them is limited but always worth the infrequent listen)

alan nagsworth

Quote from: defmem on July 07, 2010, 05:54:49 PM
How about his DJ Chaos X stuff? I've not given it a proper listen yet, but the Live Mixxx album seems to be a nice mix of noise, a bit of ambience and alot of samples!

Also, I can't stress enough how much  i love Yohimi & Yuka's Flower with No Color, although I did a little bit in the Japanese music thread. Brilliant brilliant ambience.

I looked further into eYe's stuff and found his DJ Pica Pica Pica album 'Planetary Natural Love Gas Webbin' 199999' mix and I have to say it's one of the best mixes I have ever heard! Fucking mad noise loops spliced with mental rhythms, awesome transitions, surreal turntablism and a constant underlying dance beat of some sort that makies me want to fling myself round the room in a wild frenzy of joy. It's topped off my good mood immensely!

Franny Joyce

I love Boredoms but I don't know massive amounts about them, here's a few recommendations anyway.

If you're looking for stuff like vision creation newsun then Rebore vol 0 is a fucking excellent place to start, it's eye's own remixes of the newsun album, one in a series of and it's a mighty beast, although probably one to get online, it's not cheap to buy (I didn't).

I'd also give mad props yo to super roots 2, the centrepiece of which is a 20 minute assault, not of the mad screeching variety but rather the beefed up motorik chugging riff style. Chocolate synthesiser is another favourite, this one varies in style quite a lot and has less of the space-rock sound but I would definitely try it, it's heavy in places, just odd sometimes and occasionally really funny. Don't be put off by the vocals on the first track "acid police" it's a brilliant song but it doesn't really define the tone of the album as it's quite eclectic.

Almost forgot, super roots 10 may be of interest too, the Lindstrom remix is a kind of funk odyssey I really couldn't imagine myself enjoying until I was knee-deep and loving it.
Lift Boys is another of eye's projects worth checking, I'll upload the song "anarchy way" if I can find it.

Viero_Berlotti

Another recommendation for Flower with No Color. It's a great album for a lazy Sunday afternoon lying on the couch, but there is enough there to engage you and to stop it becoming boring musical wallpaper like some ambient stuff can.

Johnny Yesno

I've only got Super Are and Chocolate Synthesizer but would recommend them both.