Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:48:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Alien: The Prequel

Started by Feralkid, July 07, 2010, 11:26:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cerys

Quote from: Big Jack McBastard on November 23, 2010, 01:13:51 AM... some CGI moments were a bit off

You do know the alien was a bloke in a suit, right?

Big Jack McBastard

Quote from: gmoney on November 23, 2010, 02:01:57 AM
Those are sequels you fool! And Godfather Part II is only part prequel.

Oh shit you're right, too much beer, not enough concentrating.

Quote from: Cerys on November 23, 2010, 02:06:00 AM
You do know the alien was a bloke in a suit, right?

The bit that came to mind was at the start where there's an alien scoffing someone/thing outside of the prison. I'm fairly sure that was CGI or I've gorn made a tit of myself in at least two posts tonight. There was also an autopsy of an alien which was iffy. I clearly need a re-watch.

El Unicornio, mang

Yep, there's definitely a dodgy CGI bit early on

AsparagusTrevor

Only CGI in Alien 3 was the cracking alien head at the end (and also some of the blowing debris in outer shots)[nb]They did use newly created CGI for the special edition for the chest-burster running away after popping out of the ox.[/nb]. The dodgy looking alien was a rod puppet badly superimposed onto the film with rotoscoped shadows. So dodgy, yes. CGI, no.

The puppet itself was actually pretty good, it's just compositing technology wasn't great at the time. Still, looked better than the CGI aliens in Alien Resurrection.

Could've been worse, there's some shots in the documentary showing them trying out a dog in an alien suit.

Ignatius_S

Re: good prequels – Infernal Affairs II.

Also, if you believe that Clint Eastwood is playing the same character in A Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More and The Good, The Bad & The Ugly, then the latter is a prequel.

In The Good, The Bad & The Ugly, Eastwood character picks up articles of clothing that his character wears in the other two films. Also, the film is set in The Civil War – in For a Few Dollars More, Lee Van Cleef is playing a Civil War veteran, whilst tombstones in A Fistful of Dollars are dated after the War is over.

phes

My cousin is due the first of the next generation of our family. He's in Canada and knocked this up to keep us posted, and I grinned from ear to ear when I got this link:

http://Www.ripleydenham.com/

El Unicornio, mang

I watched the Alien Director's Cut blu-ray last night. Not as good as the original (pacing is off, and the cocoon scene near the end totally messes with the tension of Ripley running around the ship). Interesting though, and I did like the bit where Brett is looking for Jones and you briefly see the alien, without warning, swaying from side to side before it pounces. Also, the Blu-Ray transfer is brilliant aside from some of the blacks lacking a bit in depth.

wheatgod

Small Man Big Horse

New news, via The AV Club.

QuoteVulture has nabbed some exclusive details on Ridley Scott's Alien prequel—a film that, as the site notes, we can officially stop calling "Ridley Scott's Alien prequel" and start calling Paradise. We're not sure if that's supposed to be just Paradise, which sounds sort of vague, or Alien: Paradise, which sounds like a Plato's Retreat for aliens, perhaps where aliens are served pina coladas and then masturbated using mutilated cow vaginas, but either way, it's Paradise...As to the recent rumors that the film would be pushed back a year, Vulture refutes those, saying they're an echo of a stranger time when Leonardo DiCaprio was supposedly being pursued for a role. Instead, the film will definitely pick up in March, likely with Girl With The Dragon Tattoo star Noomi Rapace taking over the lead of
Spoiler alert
"Elizabeth Shaw," and possibly Michelle Yeoh taking over the part of "Vickers... a fortysomething, tough-but-sexy woman," which sounds more like the Alien we know. Other parts include "David," an android precursor to Lance Henriksen's Bishop who may or may not be played by Michael Fassbender, depending on whether he gets his reportedly "outrageous" sum of money; an "older businessman along for the ride" (please be Paul Reiser playing his own father!); and "Engineer 1," an entirely CGIed character "à la Gollum in The Lord Of The Rings."
[close]

Although the specifics of the plot are still unknown, Vulture does confirm that the story is essentially a "reboot of the franchise,"
Spoiler alert
setting up yet another group of space travelers who encounter an alien race and are then picked off one by one. There's no confirmation yet that the film will, as previously reported, tie into the "space jockey".
[close]

The CGI thing sounds terrible, so I'm hoping that bits false.

Spoiler alert
Older businessman along for the ride?
[close]
Why, that reminds me of the last Alien prequel.

surreal

Den of Geek are saying the "Paradise" thing is not true, according to latest tweet from a Fox rep...

Small Man Big Horse

It seems that the prequel is no longer a prequel, but something else. Sort of.

QuoteRidley Scott's long-in-the-planning-and-reporting prequel to Alien is now called something else—goodbye Paradise, hello Prometheus—and is being pitched as something "more original." According to Deadline, the original idea from screenwriter John Spaihts, since updated by Damon Lindelof, has now morphed into something else entirely: In Scott's words, Prometheus will still carry "strands of Alien's DNA, so to speak," but the film will concern an all-new "grand mythology and universe in which this original story takes place."

There's still no word yet on what exactly that original story will be, of course, but it seems those earlier casting reports that tied Noomi Rapace (as "Elizabeth Shaw") and potentially Angelina Jolie or Charlize Theron (as "Vickers") remain intact, so it seems likely to follow some of the same basic plotlines that have been rumored—only presumably without the attempts to tie it to the "space jockey" glimpsed in the original film, which Scott has long mentioned as the story's impetus. For Scott's part, he says this sort-of-new film is "the singular tale I've been searching for," while Lindelof adds that it's "daring, visceral and hopefully, the last thing anyone expects." Well, seeing as everyone expected an Alien prequel, mission already accomplished. Whatever it ends up being, Prometheus is due out on March 9, 2012

http://www.avclub.com/articles/ridley-scott-is-no-longer-doing-an-alien-prequel,50100/

And this is from Aint It Cool:

QuoteWe've been hearing casting rumblings the past few days with Cherlize Theron and Noomi Rapace being thrown around as heading up Ridley Scott's ALIEN Prequel.

Well, it looks like the film has a title... and it's not necessarily a prequel.  According to Ridley himself: "While ALIEN was indeed the jumping off point for this project, out of the creative process evolved a new, grand mythology and universe in which this original story takes place. The keen fan will recognize strands of ALIEN's DNA, so to speak, but the ideas tackled in this film are unique, large and provocative. I couldn't be more pleased to have found the singular tale I'd been searching for, and finally return to this genre that's so close to my heart."

So instead of a prequel, it's inspired by the original film and is something new altogether?  If that's true, I'm incredibly relieved and now genuinely excited.  It also appears that Noomi Rapace has been officially cast, with Theron and Angelina Jolie in contention for the second female role.

Damon Lindelof has been trying to crack the story with Ridley Scot, and had this to say about the new film, called PROMETHEUS: "In a world flooded with prequels, sequels and reboots, I was incredibly struck by just how original Ridley's vision was for this movie. It's daring, visceral and hopefully, the last thing anyone expects."  Seems pretty upfront that it's not a prequel.

This is pretty big news to see RidleyScott return to the genre which made us huge fans.  And the fact that it's seemingly no longer an ALIEN prequel now... well, we'll get more news as it arrives.  In the meantime, read the Deadline article for more information and casting.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/48084

If it's true, I'm sure a lot of fans will be pretty pissed off with the news. Or happy. One or the other.

Johnny Townmouse

Now it's getting interesting and I am properly excited. It sounds like the action will be taking place chronologically prior to the Alien film, but isn't so inextricably linked that it could be deemed a prequel. Good.

VegaLA

Another twist in the plot storyline?
The prequel path was watered down during the last report, and that the Aliens may not be involved at all, but this story swings it back on course.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/19249/-prometheus-still-has-hr-giger-s-aliens-/