Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:33:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

"Chris Morris helps train spies - MI5 agents told: Watch Four Lions"

Started by Neil, July 20, 2010, 04:10:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Her eventual escalation into humour doesn't really work.  It's filming of the film they're trying to really worried about, anyway.

13 schoolyards

Quote from: Conans Lego Toaster on July 21, 2010, 03:10:11 PM
'Two men with night vision googles...will take your mobiles off you'.

Aside from the fact that she should have said '...take your mobiles FROM you'.  Can you be-fucking-leave that?  It's embarrassing.

It's standard procedure at pretty much all preview screenings now (well, they do it in Australia, so I'm guessing it's now world-wide). As for who orders it, well, if the films already been released in the US when they hold preview screenings in Australia there's usually no interest at all in the whole night vision goggles  / handing-in-of-phones dance. So "US Studio Chiefs" is probably where the blame lies.

Little Hoover

Seems like hiring two men with night vision googles is going to cost more than the losses they'd make on pirated copies of a festival screening of a film that's been out this long.

thepuffpastryhangman

My previous post was made to highlight the possibility that movies in general, and possibly this one in particular, are sympathetic to a peculiar stand-point.

Yesterday's Guardian Media top ten tacitly supported my earlier supposition.

If half the top eight were Muslim, we'd see different sorts of movies.

How exactly this, quite obvious point, is prejudicial I'm entirely unsure.

If you doubt their heirarchy, take it up with t'Guardian.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I can't help noticing how every time you upset several people, it's always because they've misinterpreted or failed to grasp your meaning. Why don't you just say what you mean straight out and save everyone the trouble of finding you infuriating?

What has a UK newspaper's UK Media 'top ten' got to do with the global film industry?  It's ten people, most of which have nothing to do with films in this country, let alone anywhere else, whose Jewness or Muslimity has fuck all to do with anything, let alone conflating or extrapolating some wider point.

Was that post above honestly the least pitiful piece of backtracking you could muster?

Quote from: 13 schoolyards on July 21, 2010, 03:15:47 PM
It's standard procedure at pretty much all preview screenings now (well, they do it in Australia, so I'm guessing it's now world-wide). As for who orders it, well, if the films already been released in the US when they hold preview screenings in Australia there's usually no interest at all in the whole night vision goggles  / handing-in-of-phones dance. So "US Studio Chiefs" is probably where the blame lies.

I think they should just make everyone wear one of these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2N1A0emckc

thepuffpastryhangman

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 21, 2010, 04:20:00 PM
Was that post above honestly the least pitiful piece of backtracking you could muster?

Backtracking? I was explaining the relevance of my earlier post in a thread about (a movie about (Muslim)) suicide bombers.

I guess you think the hundreds of good ol' pioneering cowboys and evil red skin injun savages movies weren't an attempt to undermine history either.

JPA

Quote from: Conans Lego Toaster on July 21, 2010, 01:21:55 PM
The film takes a very, very shallow view of terrorism, the causes and sponsors of it.  It is very establishment in that sense. 

It was never going to be an in-depth political analysis of the causes of terrorism though was it? As the causes are numerous. The motivation for the cell in FL are not made explicit, however they are alluded to - and I don't think this is to the detriment of the film.

What I don't think the film does mirror the sort of views that Blair and Bush (and their respective governments) were espousing at that time. Bush in particular was to be found throwing the word 'evil' around numerous times as I recall, how does that sit with a film where you can argue that you sympathise with a group of potential murderers?

Were both governments pushing the idea of terrorist cells often being uncoordinated, incompetent and absurd - or were they telling us about a sophisticated network of efficient killing machines that we should all be very VERY afraid of?

Moreover - there are a couple of bits in FL where it's implied that Western interference in the middle east is a motivating factor in their actions 'muslims getting pasted' etc, and while this is not explicit in the film - this is an idea that both the US and UK governments were very reluctant to engage with.

Four Lions portrays a group of terrorists as humans - the mainstream view of them is the complete opposite.

Which anti-establishment (yet true) view of terrorism would you liked the film to have taken?

thepuffpastryhangman

Quote from: Sovereign on July 21, 2010, 01:00:31 PM
Can I add my own objection to this post? I'm getting sick of hearing the anti-semitism from you TPPH, fuck off back to stormfront.

I liked you better as an Adam/Duncan Jones hybrid.

There's absolutely fuck all anti-Semitic about my post. Shame all that "studying politics" didn't equip you with an adequate working definition.

Neil

The Chortle article takes the tiniest little asides to try and form a story.  Big thanks again to McQ for the capture, and NoSleep for the advice with regards audio restoration.  The photos are from the @Bafta twitter, they should have video footage of this up soon.

Chris Morris - Four Lions Intro at Latitude 16th July 2010

Chris Morris, Sam Bain, Riz Ahmed and Afi Khan - Four Lions Q&A at Latitude 16th July 2010 (Sendspace)

Tiny Poster

Quote from: thepuffpastryhangman on July 21, 2010, 03:20:50 AM
Yesterday the Guardian published it's 'Media top 100', four of the top, most powerful eight are Jewish ( is Simon Cowell half-Jewish?). Either way I ain't seeing no brothers, no blacks, no Muslims "no Irish" in that top ten. The Guardian's Media list over represents OVER ONE THOUSAND TIMES versus per capita. This, of course, has nothing to do with the movies. This movie or any movie, oh no. No sympathy to see here.

I've handily bolded the Jewish people in the Top 10:

Quote1. Steve Jobs

2. Sergey Brin and Larry Page

3. Mark Thompson

4. Rupert Murdoch

5. Evan Williams

6. Simon Cowell

7. Mark Zuckerberg

8. James Murdoch

9. Jeremy Hunt

10. Archie Norman

Nice lying, bnpphm.

thepuffpastryhangman

Hence my question about Simon Cowell silly.

Did you call and ask him?

Your argument is four from the top eleven, not four from the top eight. Yup, I'm back on t'ropes alright.

Tiny Poster

Three from the top eight - and two of those are a joint entry. Oh no!

So, do you reckon the Jews have a secret handshake, or some sort of Shibboleth newsletter that they all get?

thepuffpastryhangman

Quote from: Winston ChurchillHistory will be kind to me, because I intend to write it.

Tiny Poster

Of course, old Winnie was convinced of an international Jewish conspiracy, wasn't he? Changed his tune by WW2 though. Odd behaviour for someone who was actually Jewish themself.

And so, history will be written by the the overwhelmingly non-Jewish majority of that top ten, no?

thepuffpastryhangman