Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:17:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Judge Dredd casting rumours

Started by Phil_A, July 22, 2010, 06:17:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kane Jones

Quote from: Santa's Boyfriend on February 01, 2013, 09:44:05 AM
I was about to say the same thing.  We could also throw Attack the Block in there as being the same movie too.  The Raid and Dredd are both excellent films, as is Attack the Block.  How many movies have we all seen with identical plots and only slightly different locations?

Well, Assault On Precinct 13 was essentially John Carpenter remaking Rio Bravo. Both are excellent.

Watched Dredd last night - I thought it was really enjoyable.  Very violent, but in that glossy almost humourous way.  I'm looking forward to some sort of sequel.

Mister Six

Finally got around to watching this yesterday and was delighted by it. For such a thin premise, they find a surprisingly large amount of things for the characters to do, and it looks utterly stunning. I even like the stripped-down version of Mega-City One - it did seem plausibly like a near future where they'd pumped all their money into R&D for weapons and crowd control, and nothing into anything else. I also thought they did a lot with the very limited budget (45 million dollars is nothing in action movie terms). It was genuinely beautiful in places.

I really do hope they make a sequel at some point. I want to spend more time in that world - but only if Garland & co are onboard.

Funnily enough, I watched this for the first time last night too and I thought it was bloody abysmal. Felt like a pilot.

CaledonianGonzo

I'm in the 'watched it recently and it was better than I was expecting' camp as well.  It had style to spare, though it's probably bad timing that it has a more-or-less identical premise to The Raid.

And I say all this as someone who thinks that  - as a writer - Alex Garland is more or less worthless.