Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:01:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Judge Dredd casting rumours

Started by Phil_A, July 22, 2010, 06:17:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

papalaz4444244

"If I was their Chief Judge...."

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Dan Dare should be played by Jon Hamm. He looks like a cartoon pilot, according to 30 Rock.

Feralkid

A screen-writer friend has gotten his mitts on a copy of Garland's script.  He reports that it's largely set within one MegaCity Skyscraper and had Dredd protecting a witness.  So basically The Gauntlet meets Die Hard.  Yeah, thanks Alex Garland.  A Dredd movie should be mostly set indoors.  Don't show us that futuristic city whatever you do.

Full report when I badger him into letting me read it. 

Jack Shaftoe

I dunno, I don't entirely hate that idea - as long as the Mega Block shows by example just how weird the city is. Then if you get a sequel, there's lots of room to branch out.

It could be a budget limitation type of thing, perhaps. I could imagine lots of panoramic views of the city being expensive, unless they half arsed it and just used Toronto, Sydney or somewhere like that.

Phil_A

Quote from: Feralkid on July 28, 2010, 01:25:26 PM
A screen-writer friend has gotten his mitts on a copy of Garland's script.  He reports that it's largely set within one MegaCity Skyscraper and had Dredd protecting a witness.  So basically The Gauntlet meets Die Hard.  Yeah, thanks Alex Garland.  A Dredd movie should be mostly set indoors.  Don't show us that futuristic city whatever you do.

Full report when I badger him into letting me read it.

Dude, it's already leaked! You can find in about ten seconds on google.

I read it this morning, and let's just say I have mixed feelings about it. I think it's a good solid script that would make a decent action film, but I was really hoping Garland would bring a bit more to it. There's very little satire in it, and not a great deal of humour. Which is disappointing, cos I think Dredd works best when it's a satirical reflection of the times what we live in. Also the politics of MC-1 aren't really touched on at all, you don't get a real sense of what the judges actually represent. They could just be any generic future cops, rather than an authoritarian regime that keeps the citizens in check through a combination of fear and brute force.

As I understand it, the budget is considerably smaller than the first Dredd movie, which has necessitated restricting the action to just a few locations. So we get to see disappointingly little of Mega City One itself, and Garland's description just makes it sound like the future Los Angeles from Blade Runner. Which it ain't.

The characterisation of Dredd is pretty much spot-on, but I'm concerned there's not a hell of a lot for Urban to get his teeth into. Dredd gets some dry one-liners and a few cool action scenes, but really he's almost secondary in the story to Judge Anderson, who in this script appears as the rookie Dredd has to take out on patrol.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's perfectly fine for what it is, it's well-constructed and extremely tense in places, but I think overall the lack of ambition is probably why it feels like a bit of a let down. If it was the pilot for a TV show, I'd probably think "Wow, that sounds great," but for a movie it feels very small scale.

Feralkid

I've read it and concur with everything Phil said.  Villain's a bit pants too and there's a generally disspiriting lack of wit and no attempts at social satire.   

Quote from: SFXMoon Director Passed On Judge Dredd Movie

Duncan Jones admits that he was seriously tempted

Moon director Duncan Jones seriously considered directing the Judge Dredd movie that is currently in preproduction, according to an interview on Latino Review.

"I would have loved to do the Judge Dredd movie that is underway," he says. "I was, in fact, sent the script to look at. It's a great script, and I hope I will not rue the decision of passing on it. Thing was, I had such a strong idea of what I wanted to do with a Dredd movie, I could not bring myself to take it on and not do it my way! And it's not like I could do it as a sequel either; my Dredd would have been really weird, and dark and funny, but not your traditional introduction to a hero character. I don't even know if I could have made my version of the film pitch-able. It was maybe too off the wall."

Instead, the director's job has gone to Pete (Vantage Point, Omagh) Travis, while the script has been written by Alex (Sunshine, The Beach, 28 Days Later) Garland. The film is due to shoot Johannesburg next year. You can read more about it here and here.

Meanwhile, Jones has this to say about his next movie, the Jake Gyllenhaal-starring SF thriller Source Code: "I think it is safe to say that the film will be out early next year. My edit is complete, and we are working hard on visual effects, choosing a composer and trying the film out on a few people just to see how it goes over."

Feralkid

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on July 29, 2010, 03:14:25 PM

Aw fuck.  Doug Jones is precisely the sort of promising auteur who should be handling Dredd.  Grrrr.  Drokk.  And so on. 

Alberon

So a first look at Urban as Dredd. Can't see if the eagle is there on his other shoulder and the badge seems like the one from that other movie which is best forgotten, though the helmet is spot on.

Feralkid

Well the helmet would be spot on if it was the right size.  It just seems overly large.  Shouldn't the visor sit closer to the face?  Otherwise the inverted V-portion covering it makes no sense.  Surely it's meant to offer direct cover over that part of the fissog, like a Spartan warriors helmt or such like.   That shoulder pad though really looks like Mike McMahon drew it circa 1978.  So yay for that detail.

The real test will be seeing something full length, and in motion. 

Santa's Boyfriend

It's always really hard to judge[nb]as well as deliberate and execute[/nb] these things from the first photos - I remember when an early make-up test of Heath Ledger's Joker was leaked and everyone on the net went ballistic about how shit it looked.  Yeah it looks quite good, better than the last attempt anyway, but not as close as I would have liked.  But we'll see - it's mostly about attitude.  The helmet definitely looks too big there, but hopefully later images will show the size fitting him.

Incidentally I tried on a dredd helmet a while ago at a comics convention, and I was the only person it looked very good on, mainly because I've actually got an annoyingly large head.  (Annoying in that very few hats or helmets actually fit me.)  I also got a photo of a guy wondering around as Superman wearing it, so that's a lawsuit waiting to happen if I ever put it online.

Beagle 2

That bit on his badge where it says "DREDD" - how are you gonna fit your name in there if you're Judge Van Hoogstraten or something eh? It's a fucking disgrace.

Jemble Fred

Maybe he made the badge for himself at home and insists on wearing it.

Anyway, casting Karl Urban in a central role is a clear admission of failure from any filmmaker. I look at his face and I see 'Doom: The Movie'.

Make no Bones about it.

Also, if it's his face that's the problem then surely this is the perfect role for him.

Jemble Fred

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on November 21, 2010, 07:09:29 PM
Make no Bones about it.

I'd say that was a supporting role... This project certainly seems more akin to Doom.

It could be worse: Dredd is Jude Law.

Alberon

The problem with the uniform is while the huge shoulder and knee pads look good in the deliberatly outlandish comic strip trying to make them work in the movie world is difficult. The shoulderpad you can see actually reminds me of the earliest depiction of Dredd in 2000AD from the first dozen progs or so.

While the helmet clearly is useless at that shape and size as you can't see anything except straight ahead I do think that's the way it's mostly drawn in the comic.

At the end of the day though, the costume doesn't matter too much. I don't even really care if he takes that tin can off his head or not. What I want to see is a good Judge Dredd story up on the big screen.

sirhenry

Quote from: Beagle 2 on November 21, 2010, 06:05:11 PM
That bit on his badge where it says "DREDD" - how are you gonna fit your name in there if you're Judge Van Hoogstraten or something eh? It's a fucking disgrace.

samadriel

Wow, Ezquerra looks astonishingly Ezquerra-esque.

kidsick5000

Quote from: samadriel on November 22, 2010, 04:59:35 AM
Wow, Ezquerra looks astonishingly Ezquerra-esque.

All comic book artists look uncannily like their drawings. Their own face is their main reference

Vitalstatistix

The problem with this film won't be the costumes, it'll be the fact that Garland is a really limited writer.

I agree with Feral, if someone like Duncan Jones was handling this, I'd be much more excited.

Santa's Boyfriend

Is that recent?  He's been recovering from chemotherapy recently which might explain the lack of hair - though possibly not the massive muscles.

sirhenry

Norton Canes

Quote from: Alberon on November 19, 2010, 10:52:14 PM
So a first look at Urban as Dredd. Can't see if the eagle is there on his other shoulder and the badge seems like the one from that other movie which is best forgotten, though the helmet is spot on.

My word, that is dreadful. It's as bad as the Stallone effort. In fact it practically is the Stallone effort. Yeuch.

The intrinsic problem with Mega-City judge's helmets the way they've always been drawn in 2000AD/The Megazine is that there's a sort of simultaneous dual perpective at work with the see-through part of the visor covering the nose; the nose should clearly be going through that section (between the inverted 'V'), yet it's contained inside the helmet. It's why the helmets look so snug-fitting in the strips, but designers are on a hiding to nothing when they try to model the same thing in 3D - the only practical solution is to make the whole thing too big.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Santa's Boyfriend on November 21, 2010, 05:56:09 PM
It's always really hard to judge[nb]as well as deliberate and execute[/nb] these things from the first photos - I remember when an early make-up test of Heath Ledger's Joker was leaked and everyone on the net went ballistic about how shit it looked.  Yeah it looks quite good, better than the last attempt anyway, but not as close as I would have liked.  But we'll see - it's mostly about attitude.  The helmet definitely looks too big there, but hopefully later images will show the size fitting him.

Incidentally I tried on a dredd helmet a while ago at a comics convention, and I was the only person it looked very good on, mainly because I've actually got an annoyingly large head.  (Annoying in that very few hats or helmets actually fit me.)  I also got a photo of a guy wondering around as Superman wearing it, so that's a lawsuit waiting to happen if I ever put it online.
Absolutely agree with the first paragraph.

As for the second, well, a picture is worth 1,000 words....

Santa's Boyfriend

Feralkid

Oh dear.   

http://www.bleedingcool.com/forums/showthread.php?31169-More-Shots-From-The-Judge-Dredd-Set

Memo to DNA films, if I want to see modern motor vehicles in glorious 3D I'll juts pop outside.   

Slaaaaabs

Quote from: Feralkid on December 07, 2010, 06:35:24 PM
Memo to DNA films, if I want to see modern motor vehicles in glorious 3D I'll juts pop outside.

Worry no more!

THIS ARE FUTAR BIEK!