Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:46:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Judge Dredd casting rumours

Started by Phil_A, July 22, 2010, 06:17:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

copylight

Gritty Ramsay St graffiti there.

Small Man Big Horse

Empire have more photos, and have given it a big part of the cover, too.

Many on the AV Club have commented on the fact that he seems to have a quite large erection in the latter pic.

Mister Six

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on July 27, 2011, 02:41:07 AMhe seems to have a quite large erection in the latter pic.

'Judge Dredd Rises'?

copylight

That grimace is Fizzy Cola Bottles MEETS DAVE.

This looks well Parkinson's HEADS.

momatt

I like how everything on that magazine cover has been done so many times before it's difficult to care about any of them.
Dredd's head looks weird.

sirhenry

Quote from: momatt on July 28, 2011, 02:07:34 PM
Dredd's head looks weird.
Could be because his square jaw (the only bit we ever see) is triangular. Seems that they somehow missed out Step 1 in choosing an appropriate actor.

Edit: though having said that, the picture above is a lot closer to the original shape, if a bit weak. Let's just hope that he's top lit for the entire film.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

He's pulling a face like he's smelled a particularly nasty fart.

Feralkid

His trousers look like commercially available biker leathers rather than a bespoke piece of costume design.   The Helmet looks wrong.  And the absence of an Eagle shoulder-pad is unforgivable, it's a crucial visual signifier of Dredd's fascist stature and the source material's exaggerated satirical intent.

Santa's Boyfriend

There is an eagle shoulder pad, but it's embossed on the shoulder pad rather than the big hulking thing you find in the comics.  It's not anywhere near as iconic, I agree, but it's certainly more practical!

Feralkid

Practical schmactical.  I want my futuristic law-men to look suitably over the top. 

Marv Orange

Jack Shaftoe

Christ, poor sod. I did read Stallone read massive amounts of back-issues of 2000AD, got hugely into the character and had loads of arguments with Danny Cannon (cough spit) over the story. Although that could be bollocks, who knows. I did like that Hammerstein appeared in the movie though - didn't Chris Cunningham do all that stuff?

I like the newer movie helmet incorporates the gold badge, which I remember correctly, can slide down over the nose and mouth to work as a respirator if necessary.

sirhenry

I'd heard the opposite - that Stallone didn't bother reading any Dredd before he made the film. And I definitely remember an interview with him not too long after the film's release where he was asked why he thought it hadn't been a hit and his reply was along the lines of "It was never going to be a hit. It's based on a comic, but there aren't any jokes in it!" Which kind of implied that he hadn't understood the premise at all.

Jack Shaftoe

Entirely possible - pretty sure I read the Stallone suddenly becomes fanboy thing after the film had come out (and hadn't done very well), which suggests a bit of PR.

Feralkid

As I recall Cannon had said in interviews that Stallone had piles of back-issues in his trailer and read them between takes.   He also claimed that Sly had been the person to suggest the covers of the comic forming the backbone of the title sequence.   This may all be bollocks though.

And yes Jack, lots of Chris Cunningham design work in the Stallone Dredd.  If only Mr C were allowed to direct a version.   

Cinergi, the 95 version's backers apparently offered Cannon Die Hard 3 first but he turned it down to do Dredd.   Had he taken the sequel to hit franchise gig he'd likely have had a bona fide blockbuster under his belt and thus more power to do a more faithful version of Dredd later.  At any rate that first film is awful, though as the three Punisher movies teach us, there's no guarantee that future adpatations won't be equally dismal.

Marty McFly

Quite a good read in that new issue of Empire. According to the article Olivia Thirlby of Juno fame plays a rookie Judge Anderson..

Feralkid

Marty, the entire script was leaked a while back.   Google Garland and "Peach Trees" and you'll find it. Rookie Anderson is one its clunkier components.  And as Garland mentions in that Empire article they've stripped out the satire. Sigh.   

Marty McFly

Oh really? Cheers for that. Is it any better than the Stallone effort?

Feralkid

Mmmm, well it's truer to the tone of the character but it's witless, nasty and derivative.   It also features a lot of regrettable already dated ideas.   Lots of scenes involve a drug called "slo month" which makes its users perceive reality in Bullet Time.  Anderson's arc involves a really nasty mental rape.  MaMa, meanwhile, is a really dull villain.

I've heard of similar things happening on big Hollywood films and I wonder if a similar motivation is at work here.   Having created said crap villain Garland can now get a cut of any merchandise featuring her.   

Mister Six

Quote from: Feralkid on July 29, 2011, 10:42:40 PM
His trousers look like commercially available biker leathers rather than a bespoke piece of costume design.   The Helmet looks wrong.  And the absence of an Eagle shoulder-pad is unforgivable, it's a crucial visual signifier of Dredd's fascist stature and the source material's exaggerated satirical intent.

To be fair, it's being shot on a budget of about 50 pence. The wardrobe budget is incredibly limited.

I actually kind of like it, but losing the eagle is a big shame.

glitch

Quote from: Feralkid on July 30, 2011, 05:30:39 PM
And yes Jack, lots of Chris Cunningham design work in the Stallone Dredd.  If only Mr C were allowed to direct a version.   

That would be terrifying but absolutely amazing.

Cunningham did a fair amount of work for 2000AD as an artist, too.

Jemble Fred

I reckon they got Karl Urban to scowl like that by just saying "Okay Karl, just think about your existing movie CV."

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

These here are made by some fancy dress company and probably cost a lot less than the one in the new film.

Santa's Boyfriend

Wow, that girl is foxy!  I'd judge her anytime, etc

AlkyBastard

How does (the new film) Dredd see out of his visor? That red ^ thing is surely right in front of his eyes?

micanio

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on August 04, 2011, 09:20:20 PM
These here are made by some fancy dress company and probably cost a lot less than the one in the new film.

That's a fancy dress outfit? I must have that, NOW!!

Santa's Boyfriend

Quote from: AlkyBastard on August 05, 2011, 12:03:34 AM
How does (the new film) Dredd see out of his visor? That red ^ thing is surely right in front of his eyes?

You might as well ask how he can patrol at night with heavily tinted glass and no peripheral vision.  It's the future, I'm sure they've got it sorted somehow!

spock rogers

Quote from: Feralkid on July 31, 2011, 03:30:39 PM
...Lots of scenes involve a drug called "slo month" which makes its users perceive reality in Bullet Time.

If someone offers you Cake, chuck it back in their face and tell them to fuck off.

Phil_A

Uh-oh, apparently the director's walked due to disagreements over the editing. Just like the 95 Dredd all over again - I believe Danny Cannon flounced off that during post-production and the film was completed in his absence.

In other news, Grant Morrison is supposed to be writing the Rogue Trooper movie. Yay. But apparently they want Sam fucking Worthington for the lead. Boo.

Santa's Boyfriend

Oh no...  I had such high hopes too.  Perhaps there'll be a director's cut somewhere along the line.

EDIT: Just read up on it and apparently Alex Garland has taken over.  Which suggests that the footage that was coming in wasn't reflecting what the script was supposed to do.  It's not a good sign, anyway.