Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:46:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

attention: students

Started by pretty dead boy, February 06, 2004, 06:55:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pretty dead boy

i didn't see myself ever making a post called attention students, and i think most people will be expecting one about writing cheques for two pound sixty five's worth of goods from sainsburys, but, it seemed, as of september, that there were quite a few people either starting, or going in to second, third (and other, depending on interest in medicines or years abroad) years of university.  and i wondered how it was going.

not just in comparison to my own first year, but to see how things have changed in roughly six months time, which is always a pretty interesting retrospective thought.  whether it's what you thought it would be like, or if you've changed.  that sort of thing.  if this comes across as a touch too close to trying to round up the weak for group therapy, i'll apologise and loosely hint at a sea of melancholy under my busy exterior, but i am nevertheless curious as to how people have adjusted to living on their own, and more independence, and that.  feel free to let this sink like a stone.

Lt Plonker

Ooooh, that's very kind of you. :)

It's going tremendously, thank you very much. We've just started getting into our actual animation studies now, learning about all the various basics and fundamentals etc. We've had a guy come in called Peter Western to take us for the first three days. He animated that bulging eyes bit in Roger Rabbit and the deleted 'pig-head' scene.

Living in digs is fine. My housemates are friendly, but can't seem to live in harmony as well as the last lot I lived with. Food going missing, moaning, taking, leaving notes around etc.

I've made a nice bunch of friends, much quicker than usual. They're great fun and a really nice mixed bunch.

I won't mention my love life because I've whined about the lack of having one in more threads than I care to count. And yes, I'm aware of the irony.

How are you finding University pretty dead boy?

wasp_f15ting

Its shit. I should point out I've had my independance prior to going to uni, so it was not that much different. Uni is very uninviting...  "read xxx chapter, today we will be going over xxx chapter :yawn:" I was expecting to meet alot of like minded people instead i've found many a tosser.. lots of "at the end of the day " types.  Oh well 2 more years...

No ms wasp as of yet, though a couple have stolen my nectar without permission!  my course is very lacking in females, i should have done something like psychology or sociology, those places are loaded with ladies.

pretty dead boy

mm, alright thanks.

our course is decidely non-work orientated.  in that we haven't got to do a thing.  university's pretty much irrelevant to me because i'm there three mornings a week, just listening to lectures and sitting there in seminars, having to write an essay on, usually, a topic of my choice, once every month or two.

so it's more been about my life as a lady of leisure (i'm a boy, by the way - i know it can get confusing on here).  i moved back here to manchester, having lived here when i was littler, and having kept in touch with friends from then.  so i didn't run out on freshers week (or go out at all, although that's perhaps due to a general dislike of clubs and similar places) and try and grab as many friends as i could assemble.  i'm starting to meet people who i really get on with, i think, hopefully in a lasting way, which is a rewarding and validating thing.  i get on quite civilly and chattily with my flatmates, but there's places i'd rather live where i think it might be more than hello's and politeness when the simpsons is on.

but, alright, thanks, lieutenant.  i fill my time reading and re-reading endless books, and now truly appreciate libraries.  i live off soup and bagels, and in relative poverty as i've chosen to spend my money on following bands around and visiting people instead of food.  my travel tavern like abode is homely, if not occasionally depressing and restrictive.  but things are alright, thanks.

anyone else?

Quote from: "wasp_f15ting"Its shit. I should point out I've had my independance prior to going to uni, so it was not that much different. Uni is very uninviting...  "read xxx chapter, today we will be going over xxx chapter :yawn:" I was expecting to meet alot of like minded people instead i've found many a tosser.. lots of "at the end of the day " types.  

This is exactly how I've found it. I'm studying English and my course seems to be full of mature students and pretentious twats. I am at Wolverhampton though...

pretty dead boy

QuoteThis is exactly how I've found it. I'm studying English and my course seems to be full of mature students and pretentious twats. I am at Wolverhampton though...

so ... is it shit, then?

not trying to make you word your life as shit or not shit, but what are things like, now?  because of the course.  i said mine doesn't have too much of an affect on my life but what's it like and how's your life different in wolverhampton?

Well I'm living at home, so I often wonder if I'd moved away, would things be different. Plus, I ended up there because I didn't do as well in my A-levels as I thought I would. Wolverhampton is not really known as a great university. That said, it beats getting a full time job any day of week ;D

So, no, it's not really shit, but it's not what I thought it would be.

Frinky

Quote from: "Unhappydisgustingwow"Well I'm living at home, so I often wonder if I'd moved away.

Does that mean you're going to Uni in the same town you live?

I was glad to move away, I'm a different person for it, and loving (nearly) every second of it. That said, I dislike most people on my course, most of the people I like I met through other people there, and those opportunities arose from staying there. How long have you been there? You thought about getting a place?

Dr. Gizmonic

Oh, things are going swell. I study law, it seems, although you couldn't tell from the doodles of Sean Connery that dominate the majority of my "notes".
Sadly, Cambridge is diversity central, but I've managed to round up the majority of the Caucasians and forced them to be my friends through sheer force of personality and bribery.
Not that I have anything against foreign students, but the language barrier is highly prohibitive. Also, I am the only non-Asian in my house. Bah.
Large number of beggars around here, this wouldn't be so bad if my compassion hadn't expired two minutes after arriving. There's only so many times you can decline the Big Issue and not start enjoying it.
The course is simple and highly dull; so I'm finding it easier and easier to simply not attend my lectures.
Plus I'm using my formal robes as hamster bedding. Go Me.

Lt Plonker

I keep meaning to ask you Frink, what are you studying at Uni? I have absolutely no idea what you do.

Frinky

Quote from: "Lt Plonker"I keep meaning to ask you Frink, what are you studying at Uni? I have absolutely no idea what you do.

Um... some sort of really lame music thing for one year till I can get into my digital video (production and installation) next year. I ran away from home (not literally, as such, but it was a rash decision), I had friends in Derby, so I took what I could get. It's crap, I'm trying to fail it, for a laugh like.

Rubbish Monkey

Quote from: "Unhappydisgustingwow"Wolverhampton is not really known as a great university.

Working there (full time thank you) has its entertaining/embaressing moments.....(nothing to do with the thread mind you)

Making a library card for a Mr Chris Tarrant..

"Do you want a clip or a chain with your card holder?"
Chris - "Ummmm....Chain"
"Sure? Do you want to phone a friend?"

Chinese student handing card over - "Correct"
scans library card finding nothing wrong with it - "umm you have a book waiting but nothings wrong with your card"
Student - "yes correct books"

feeling rather stupid.....Doh!

but i was suprised by the amount of fuckwits (rant alert) there....

student - "i want to pick up my reservations"
"you had some but they have gone uncollected so they are not there now"
student -  "yes i want them now"
"uncollected means they were there but you dint come and get them so they have gone back on the shelves"

"I made a reservation on a book can i pick it up?"
"its not here - how long ago did you make the reservation?"
"about 10 minutes ago"

grrrrrrrr

anyway what am i doing here? im not a student. Although i have been dissapointed by the lack of drunken students wearing traffic cones.

Quote from: "Rubbish Monkey"Working there (full time thank you) has its entertaining/embaressing moments.....(nothing to do with the thread mind you)

Were you working in there this September when everyone had to register?

Mister Six

Bah, I'm so jealous. Enjoy it while you can, people. It'll be council tax and call centres soon enough.

Rubbish Monkey

Quote from: "Unhappydisgustingwow"

Yep. Although I tried to avoid it as often as i could.

Dr David V

It's not University, but I am at college, and I'm a student, so I suppose this applies.

I'm studying media production, but that does not make me a tosser, and it certainly does not mean I will turn into a meeja-wanker. We're into our second video project, where we've got to do some kind of video montage of someone at work, so we chose to do someone from the local independent record shop. All we need to do now is edit it. The course is fine so far, the only bit I dislike is Key Skills, which is boring me to death.

Benny J. Fish

Quote from: "wasp_f15ting"Its shit. I should point out I've had my independance prior to going to uni, so it was not that much different. Uni is very uninviting...  "read xxx chapter, today we will be going over xxx chapter :yawn:" I was expecting to meet alot of like minded people instead i've found many a tosser.. lots of "at the end of the day " types.  

I think this all depends on lecturers and seminar leaders. I mean some are dull as fuck, and let the 'at the end of the day' types get away with it, but others are really great. My English seminar leader takes no shit whatsoever. He's great. Any waffling retard gets it.

I'm having a really good time this year, and my marks are already looking 2:1 shaped, so with a bit of work I'm hoping to aim for that elusive 1st.

And the social life is good. The area of town i'm living in is like a student/young worker Ramsay Street now!

Quote from: "Rubbish Monkey"

Yep. Although I tried to avoid it as often as i could.

Oh god, please tell me you aren't the bloke who gave me my NUS card. He was a right obnoxious twat.

Dr David V

The master at work:

StanLEE Kubrick.

Rubbish Monkey

Oh god, please tell me you aren't the bloke who gave me my NUS card. He was a right obnoxious twat.

Nope, I was probobly an obnoxious twat looking half asleep watching the people make the little blue cards, as we got a bunch of students in during the enrolments, so that left us with nothing to do.

Tom Rad

Am I allowed to reply here? I'm a PhD student, so I guess I should be... But I am also teaching on some undergraduate courses, so that actually makes me one of "them", the tutors. I therefore feel I shouldn't really be looking here...

For the being a research student part, in case any of you are considering it, I can tell you that in some ways it's great: you get to do what you are really interested in, you get to stretch your intellect, you get to actually be creative but in a kind of structured environment. In others, it's stressful as fuck. I'm now in my second year, and at the end of my first year I had to take some time off due to depression and anxiety caused by stress. But I'm OK now. Actually, I am enjoying life - to answer the question asked on one of the other threads.

For the teaching, in my first year I felt I was so out of my depth. I didn't feel I could possibly be teaching anyone because I didn't know anything myself - I've only just graduated myself! (Of course that wasn't true, but I did feel like that!). That was a major contributory factor to my depression. But anyway, I'm actually enjoying it now. I don't worry too much about knowing the answers to absolutely everything the students could possibly ask - I now understand that part of my role is to give them the credit of being capable of researching any vexed questions and finding out for themselves. One of the simplest things I've understood you can do to students as a tutor is show that you enjoy the subject matter - that you are really enthusiastic about it. And that you therefore care that they should know all about it too.
On the other hand, it is a kind of two way street (pay attention now, undergraduates!!!). The hardest thing for a tutor is to teach a group of students who really don't seem motivated to study. They've not done any of the reading or the preparation and they couldn't care less about the subject matter. It's like squeezing blood out of a stone. I know there are things I can do myself to make classes more interesting, like using entertaining examples for discussion. But Jesus, I can't make it all happen by myself!

Anyway, there's some of my musings on being a postgraduate student / tutor. But if any of you think I could be of any help with an "educational" matter, such as tips for essays or presentations, I'm such an old hand at this studenting thing that I might just be able to help!