Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,456
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 02:28:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Street Fighter X Tekken

Started by Nik Drou, July 26, 2010, 04:08:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nik Drou

I was tempted to add this to the SSFIV thread, but this is silly enough to stand on its own. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLNbW7NZj94

Street Fighter X Tekken is of the more surprising announcements at the most recent Comic-Con, especially since Marvel Vs Capcom 3 is well under way.  What makes it even more absurd (not to mention rather indulgent) is that it's one of two planned games in a series.  The first will be handled by Capcom and will use SFIV-style gameplay mechanics, the follow-up (Tekken X Street Fighter) will be developed by Namco and presumably will be more Tekken-like.  It solves the problem of how to marry the two respective styles in a way that satisfies absolutely every fan they could possibly think of but (the 14 year old me is glowering at me) isn't this all a bit too silly now?  I still find myself buying these fighting games and never feel I get as much out of them as I used to.  Having said that, I can't help but find the audience reaction in the following clip adorable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6U7jZ-qMfI

What do you think, is this a crossover too far?

Slaaaaabs

Street Fighter vs. Mortal Kombat and Tekken vs. Virtua Fighter would have made much more sense.

I've long had debates with my bro about the virtues of both games. Tekken's engine is more akin to Dance Dance Revolution, to my enlightened mind. Strings of unblockable juggling guff and relentlessly hoofing people when they're on the floor. Also, the collision detection is extremely unsatisfying, there's no sense of heft to the skeletal paperweight characters.

Street Fighter on the other hand features hands-down the deepest and most rewarding learning curve of any arcade-style game ever. The mind games, tactical development and fundamental execution of moves rewards effort and creativity beyond any other competitive game I've played. Every time I think I've reached a plateau (due to my own lack of ability), a few sessions with some more talented players forces me to fine-tune my spacing or timing or mix-ups in order to find level ground, or even an edge. I hadn't played for about a month and then had a decent bash at my mate's the other day. It was all still there, muscle memory, though my decision-making seemed a little fresher, less reliant on my staple shit.

And despite all this, I'm nowhere near decent. There's so far to go and it genuinely gets more and more rewarding. That said, I've not been able to play for about a month due to present circumstances!

Anyway, bias aside. I'm really looking forward to how this turns out, especially in how Namco implement the SF roster into their engine. How do you shot plasma when you can side-step? It's a bizarre concept but I'm pumped to see how they're going to pull it off.

Spiteface

Quote from: Slaaaaabs on July 26, 2010, 04:15:23 PM
Street Fighter vs. Mortal Kombat and Tekken vs. Virtua Fighter would have made much more sense.

...in 1995.

The way they seem to be handling this crossover reminds me very much of the stuff Namco did with SNK's franchises.  They did the 2 Capcom vs SNK games (the second of shich I loved), which were very much Street Fightery in most aspects most notably graphically, then came SVC Chaos, which was more an SNK King of Fighters type of affair.

However, both Capcom and SNK dealt firmly in 2 dimensions.  How this will work remains to be seen, but I cannot wait.

I wish they could broaden this into a more general "Capcom vs Namco" deal, and throw in various other characters from each company in.  Like Rick from Splatterhouse.

mikeyg27

Quote from: Spiteface on July 26, 2010, 05:54:03 PM
I wish they could broaden this into a more general "Capcom vs Namco" deal, and throw in various other characters from each company in.  Like Rick from Splatterhouse.

I've got to say, the highlight of that trailer above is the end bit with Megaman and Pac-Man.

Little Hoover

Oh god that audience reaction is amazing, It somehow manages to be one of the bleakest and funniest things I've heard at the same time.

glitch

Is it me or is Tekken just a bit shit? I can remember playing loads of 3 and then Tag and loving them both, but I've tried the most recent edition and it's terrible. Even when I win against other people, it feels so unsatisfying. Namco should really just stick to Soul Calibur, as that feels like you need actual skill to win instead of just mashing buttons or using the same move.

I'd much rather have SC vs. SF or preferably Spiteface's idea of Namco vs. Capcom. Or a Marvel vs. DC game.

I played it again the other evening, online at my bro's, against some kid with a 90% win rate. I perfected him with the fat guy, Roy (?), having never even played him before. I can't claim any skill whatsoever, beyond blocking more than most do on Tekken and doing the simplest things again and again. I didn't get the slightest enjoyment out of it.

Later, on SF4, I read and FADC'd through a step kick (Ken) and hit the guy with a full Ultra while he was in recovery frames. This felt great.

Proof.

Mister Six

I'm quite pleased by this, actually. I was a bit worried that MvC 3 would be too serious for me to enjoy it, but hopefully they'll aim SF X T at the hardcore beat em up fans and leave all the Morrigan vs Cyclops action to button-mashers like me.

glitch

Weird. I'd say Tekken is more for the button-mashing, if MvsC3 is anything like MvsC2, it'll end up with some very, very, very hardcore action. It's a really old game that still gets a lot of play at the high end, if you don't know all the weird glitches (like Magneto's infinite kick loop) then you'll get ruined very quickly.

Mister Six

Quote from: glitch on August 03, 2010, 01:59:04 PM
Weird. I'd say Tekken is more for the button-mashing, if MvsC3 is anything like MvsC2, it'll end up with some very, very, very hardcore action. It's a really old game that still gets a lot of play at the high end, if you don't know all the weird glitches (like Magneto's infinite kick loop) then you'll get ruined very quickly.

I was thinking one-player more than anything. I completed MvC2 without taking a single lost round; conversely, I could barely get past two opponents in SFIV.

Brent Cockman

SFvT doesn't excite me in the least, but like The Boston Crab I'm curious to see TvSF as incorporating the SF characters in to Tekken's world poses far more of a challenge. There are simple things such as fireballs and the third dimension which will be a big hurdle,  but there will also be more complicated things such as hit-stop and cross-ups which, if gotten rid of, will make the SF characters feel very different. Which may or may not be a bad thing, time will tell.

MvC3 looks quite good fun. Saw it getting a good thrashing-out at SvB a few weeks ago, but didn't play it myself. Quite a few upsets in SSF4, in case you 4 players didn't hear. R.Hart beating Daigo, then Luffy beating Hart. Evans' Fei was also tearing shit up all weekend, I think it was him who OCVed a 5-player team of R.Hart, Daigo, Kayane, and a couple of others...

I'm personally waiting for SFIII:3S Online Edition as 3S is almost exclusively all I play these days, with a bit of HSF2/SSF2T and SSF4 chucked-in here and there. I'll give 3SO its own thread when it looks like it's cooking properly.

Mister Six

That post became progressively more intelligible as I read it...!

Brent Cockman

Are you referring to all the abbreviations? Sorry about that, habit from other forums