Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:15:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

GTA V (There may be spoilers)

Started by VegaLA, July 28, 2010, 02:52:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VegaLA

Well it's been over two years since GTA IV was released, the rumours are starting!

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/22841/GTA-Vs-Location-Rumor/

Many of you preferred
Spoiler alert
San Andreas over GTA IV
[close]
so this may be a welcome return, but not sure if it was the location or the game mechanics that disapointed you. I never really got to grips woth GTA SA but GTA IV's control system worked perfectly for me, I hope they keep it for the next game.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

GTAIV is a labour of love and the greatest piece of videogame satire ever made.

San Andreas was a cynical piece of shit designed to appeal to morons who think gangs are cool, but mainly just did lots and lots of things rather poorly.

I don't care if this is incendiary or not, if you enjoyed SA over GTAIV you're a pervert who ought to be liquidated.

DJ Solid Snail

GTA IV's the "greatest piece of videogame satire ever made"? I found it the blandest, most humourless, embarassing, juvenile piece of writing I've ever witnessed in art, built on a smorgasbord of tedious clichés, teen-friendly sweariness and the most desperate attempts at humour ever, those being for the most part references to vaguely obscure sexual acts. It's badly-paced, poorly-plotted, decidedly unoriginal and unmoving, with utterly singularly-dimensioned characters and an extremely nothing ending. It is fun, and an ace game, but for heaven's sake, don't pretend the writing's any good. The attempts at humour on the radio consists entirely of swearing. The Howard Stern parody alone is one of the laziest things ever, the creators clearly demonstrating only a vague notion of what Stern is actually like, case in point being that his co-host is a ridiculous over-the-top sazzy Black lady, when in reality people on the show make fun of Robin for being too White.

San Andreas is highly stupid, like every other GTA, but it's a billion times than IV, because it's so much more fun and it's really well-paced and plotted out. It's not as if IV is morally exempt compared to SA just because it doesn't have gangs in it - the protagonist is ridiculously poorly-written, he expresses guilt for indiscriminately killing tons of people, but he usually does that in the car on the way to killing loads more people.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I've not played GTA IV enough to have formed much of an opinion about it (although that's partly down to finding the controls annoying), but your stance on San Andreas confuses me some. The Boyz 'n' the Hood stuff only takes up a fraction of the running time and is no more romanticised than in any of the other games. The cynical thing to have done would be to rest on their laurels and set the game in one city - the game was pretty much a guaranteed hit - but instead they really pushed the boat out. I can't think of anything it did poorly, either.

Frankly, your opinion is so bizarre as to verge on pure evil.

VegaLA

Claude, you don't like the control system for GTA IV, which console are you playing on? I gave both GTA VC and GTA SA a go on the XBox and although it was playable I found the controls for GTA IV a complete joy to work with. I just hope they keep it for 5.

Custard

Isn't there an option to actually change the controls to how you'd prefer, though?

Or is it more a problem with the mechanics of it?

Whug Baspin

Am I the only person who gave up on GTAIV after endlessly getting the car jammed in an awkward spot or failing due to taking too long on a fiddly bit of shooting?. Can someone quote some of the great humour in it? I ended up thinking it was a frustrating and unfunny game with a half good soundtrack. (look at me I'm trolling the thread!) I'm just intensely jealous that I didn't enjoy it.

I played it on the XBox. Having to use the trigger to accelerate was the initial stumbling block for me. Like an American politician, I'm used to using my thumb to signal forward motion, rather than my index finger. I'd probably have gotten used to that after a while, though.

The main thing was that they seemed to have gone too realistic with the car handling. More Gran Turismo than Grand Theft Auto.

Little Hoover

You can change to the old control scheme in GTA IV, I gave it about 20 seconds before I switched it. And yes Shoulders is wrong about San Andreas, it is about gangs at the beginning, but by later in the game you feel more like James Bond. And most people in the gangs turn out to be double-crossing dicks, so it doesn't really glamourise it.
The story is silly, but it's much more fun and paced as others have said.
GTA IV wanted to be The Wire but seemed to forget that the wire's characters are 3 dimensional, complex morally ambigous characters, there are no good and evil characters in The Wire. GTA IV despite going to all the efforts of making a very atmoshpheric and realistic setting has ridiculous cartoon super-villans for antagonists.
San Andreas had a much more likeable group of characters, Caesar, Woozie, Shaun Ryder's character. And I'm struggling to to think of a video game characters anywhere near as good as Toreno.

fat handed twat

GTA IV is the only GTA game I have had no interest in replaying. Basically I found it incredibly dull. Most of the missions turned out to be prettty much the same 'drive to location, kill everyone, drive off - maybe with a police chase thrown in' structure. In an effort to make the game more realistic they sucked all the fun out of it.

San Andreas may have had its faults but it was great fun. From the whole gangsta theme, dirt biking through the countryside, riding around on a jet pack stolen from an Area 51 type location etc. it was ridiculous and over the top but it was also way more varied and entertaining than GTA IV

On the upside the basic game mechanics were greatly improved in GTA IV from the driving to the shooting from behind cover. I remain optomistic that now they've got the basic game mechanics sorted they can concentrate more on the extras and introduce a lot more variety to GTA V. The mission packs they did for GTA IV seemed more fun than the core game to me and they fixed the motorbiking mechanics (which totally sucked in GTA IV) for the 'Lost and the Damned' missions which I was happy about as the motorbike was my favourite mode of transport until GTA IV made them really difficult to drive.

Subtle Mocking

For all the people who say GTA IV wasn't that fun (which, let's face it, it wasn't) have you tried Saints Row 2? Okay, so it's not as polished or witty as GTA once was, but it's a lot more fun than GTA IV. Somewhat less repetitive, too.

Anyway, I'm still holding out hopes for another GTA London. I loved the original version on the PS1, and the closest recent equivalent (The Getaway) was a huge pile of shit. No wonder it got cancelled for the PS3.

JPA

I had a really hard time with the controls on GTA IV, but stuck with it and eventually got used to them. The biggest improvement in IV with regards to the controls is the combat system, being able to take cover effectively was a real step forward. Great game. But San Andreas was better.

Little Hoover

Quote from: Subtle Mocking on July 28, 2010, 06:50:41 PM
For all the people who say GTA IV wasn't that fun (which, let's face it, it wasn't) have you tried Saints Row 2? Okay, so it's not as polished or witty as GTA once was, but it's a lot more fun than GTA IV. Somewhat less repetitive, too.

Anyway, I'm still holding out hopes for another GTA London. I loved the original version on the PS1, and the closest recent equivalent (The Getaway) was a huge pile of shit. No wonder it got cancelled for the PS3.
Well... I think I still prefered GTA IV to Saints Row, because that has the opposite problem of everything being so over the top right from the start, that even the most epic missions feel mundane because it's shoots it's load too soon. IV at least does have a gritty dark atmosphere that's compelling in spite of the flaws in it's script so the more dramatic missions in GTA IV do at least feel a lot more exciting.
But again San Andreas had the best balance I think where the scope gets increasingly dramatic and it has variety because there's 5 main settings.

That said I get what they were trying to do, but San Andreas does kind of piss me off with the returning to your roots section towards the end. things needed to come to an end with Tenpenny and Big Smoke. But Sweet getting pissed off at you for having worked hard, risking your life to make vast amounts of money which you're happy to share with him and getting him out of prision is ridculous and just makes him a massivley unlikeable cunt.
Then it makes you do loads of dull terriotry missions before you can finish the game.

El Unicornio, mang

I liked both but I still think Vice City is the best. It has the best soundtrack, a great location, and plenty of humour. GTAIV: Ballad of Gay Tony kind of got it back to that style, and another good soundtrack, Lost and Damned I've had a bit of trouble getting into though.

mobias

Have any of you guys played through Just Cause 2? Having finished Red Dead Redemption I'm needing my fix of open world sand box entertainment so have gone back to playing JC2. In a way it tries to take elements of San Andreas and build on them but ultimately it completely fails. Rockstar are just so much better at this kind of thing. Even with huge open world games like Red Dead Redemption and GTAIV the key to their success is in the small details and JC2 completely lacks any of them. Huge map and if you like blowing things up endlessly then its a dream come true but ultimately its just an ultra violent kids game, and it doesn't even do the ultra violence particularly well.

The GTA V set in Hollywood rumour is pretty old now, I read about it a few weeks ago on a PS3 forum. I think its total bollocks. Whatever you think of IV quality wise I think most people are in agreement that the whole format of the game and its 'humour' (or lack of) are becoming a bit stale and curiously old hat. The whole franchise desperately needs a re-boot and freshen up. There would be nothing original in setting V in a place that has already been done before by the game. I actually always thought San Andreas was pretty fucking amazing game if look past the cheesy 'gansta' stuff, which is actually done pretty well if you think about it. Considering what they squeezed out of the old PS2 and Xbox there are current generation games that achieve far less, Just Cause 2 for example.

My money would be on GTA V being set in London.

El Unicornio, mang

GTA: London would be great. There's certainly a lot they could get comedy from (including the obvious stuff like the British tabloids, mockney criminals, unarmed police, chav culture, etc) and just the idea of having an ultra-real London to drive around is a mouthwatering prospect.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on July 28, 2010, 10:26:22 PM
GTA: London would be great. There's certainly a lot they could get comedy from (including the obvious stuff like the British tabloids, mockney criminals, unarmed police, chav culture, etc) and just the idea of having an ultra-real London to drive around is a mouthwatering prospect.

It doesn't have a grid layout and lots of easy to mass-produce buildings though. There is a strong British-style humour to GTAIV though, so I think it could work well. They should just look at The Getaway and try to make it as dissimilar to that as possible.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteThe main thing was that they seemed to have gone too realistic with the car handling.

Yes, because in real life cars certainly do flip onto their sides that easily.

Be honest, the car handling isn't realistic at all. It's closest relative in driving mechanics is Midtown Madness 3.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 28, 2010, 10:34:18 PM
It doesn't have a grid layout and lots of easy to mass-produce buildings though. There is a strong British-style humour to GTAIV though, so I think it could work well. They should just look at The Getaway and try to make it as dissimilar to that as possible.

Well, it might have to be a bit smaller, but the way the games have advanced graphically I think they could do it. I haven't played it in years but I think GTA: SA had quite a bit of variety with the environment.

Going on past titles though, would they do it as London? Presumably they'd make it a fictional city called something like Londiniumshire which takes bits from a few British cities and blends them together. It would save them having to painstakingly reproduce every London landmark too. Manchester could be another option.

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 28, 2010, 10:37:28 PM
Yes, because in real life cars certainly do flip onto their sides that easily.

Be honest, the car handling isn't realistic at all. It's closest relative in driving mechanics is Midtown Madness 3.
You've uncovered the dreadful lie behind my username. I'm not really a motorist!

Not realism then, but it lacked the easy to pick up, arcade style driving of the previous games. The cars just didn't feel as fun to drive.

falafel

Start in Sarf Landin, unlock Norf Landin and then scoot on down to whatever they would call Brighton. A nice little trio, just how they like it, plus you could go horse riding in the South Downs.

Little Hoover

How much of London would they do though? Would North Finchley be deemed worthy of inclusion, what about areas that are sort of Surrey and sort of London, will they bother with them? Would I be able to jump off Tolworth Tower, is that a noteworthy enough landmark? And if they don't think it is, well fuck you Rockstar.

Depressed Beyond Tables

Chicago in the 20's would be a better setting. Prohibition, classic gangsters, cool cars, great music, tommy guns, broads, guys saying "Not so fast...".

I expect them to release a GTA set in the future, in the future. It's more likely they'll just set it in the present, in the future, although they've done that in the past.

It would be cool tip of the hat to the Back To The Future trilogy.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Depressed Beyond Tables on July 29, 2010, 12:09:58 AM
Chicago in the 20's would be a better setting. Prohibition, classic gangsters, cool cars, great music, tommy guns, broads, guys saying "Not so fast...".

That would be too much like Mafia though

Depressed Beyond Tables

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on July 29, 2010, 12:14:19 AM
That would be too much like Mafia though

True enough. I see Mafia II will be out in August for PS3.

Plenty of alternatives though:

Grand Theft Auckland
Grand Theft Au pair
Grand Theft Autoerotic asphyxiation

Subtle Mocking

To do London in the 60s again would be the fucking business.

Depressed Beyond Tables

Why don't they just be done with it and make him Jesus around 33AD.

Panbaams

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 28, 2010, 10:34:18 PM
It doesn't have a grid layout and lots of easy to mass-produce buildings though.

The answer to this must be GTA: Milton Keynes

biggytitbo

My problem with GTA IV was it was just bloody boring. Once you'd got over the novelty of exploring the lovely city, the missions were just tedious. I gave up about a quarter of the way through.

Viero_Berlotti

Quote from: Depressed Beyond Tables on July 29, 2010, 02:42:35 AM
Why don't they just be done with it and make him Jesus around 33AD.

You see I think that this would be a good idea actually. A sandbox game set in ancient Judea where you start off as a Roman slave and have to build up your own Messiah cult around yourself. It could have a similar game mechanic as the gang territory warfare in San Andreas as you try to unify the separate tribes to overthrow the Roman occupation.