Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:57:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

GTA V (There may be spoilers)

Started by VegaLA, July 28, 2010, 02:52:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JPA

Quote from: biggytitbo on July 29, 2010, 10:24:16 AM
My problem with GTA IV was it was just bloody boring. Once you'd got over the novelty of exploring the lovely city, the missions were just tedious. I gave up about a quarter of the way through.

Should have stuck with it, there were some really enjoyable missions - Four Leaf Clover for example.

You've talked about exploring the city - I found that to be something that was a bit lacking in IV,  that incentive to explore. In SA you had the Tags, Hidden Objects, Photos etc, it was really to your benefit to go into every back street you could find. I know you have the pigeons in IV but that's not as good.

mobias

Quote from: biggytitbo on July 29, 2010, 10:24:16 AM
My problem with GTA IV was it was just bloody boring. Once you'd got over the novelty of exploring the lovely city, the missions were just tedious. I gave up about a quarter of the way through.

The DLC packs made up for that though, particularly the Ballad of Gay Tony. It was obvuously Rockstar's attempt to address some of the criticism leveled at the core game being a bit on the dull side.

There seemed to be a lot of strange dicision making from Rockstar with regard to IV though. Like not rewarding you in anyway for getting to the end of the game and not rewarding you for shooting all the pigeons etc. The vehicles just seemed mainly dull and there were really very few interiors to explore. There was also a lot of needless repition in the missions.
In the end they just didn't get the balance right between half the game taking itself overly seriously and the other half just being a bit crass. I don't think people want GTA to be a gritty crime romp.  People want an over the top crime romp.

Those little side games should really just be binned in the next GTA too. The amount of thought that must have gone into the bowling, darts and playing pool yet did anyone actaully spend any time playing these things? They would be much better off putting those resources into other things in the game.

Depressed Beyond Tables

Quote from: Viero_Berlotti on July 29, 2010, 11:13:48 AM
You see I think that this would be a good idea actually. A sandbox game set in ancient Judea where you start off as a Roman slave and have to build up your own Messiah cult around yourself. It could have a similar game mechanic as the gang territory warfare in San Andreas as you try to unify the separate tribes to overthrow the Roman occupation.
Pulling off the "miracles" would be fun. I'd probably get bored pretty soon of curing lepers and end up wrapping their heads in with rocks. More of a middle child son of God.

DanRev

I found Liberty City in GTA IV very "flat." It just seemed like roads upon roads upon roads surrounded by huge blocky towering buildings. There were few alleyways with interesting things to see, shortcuts seemed nonexistant. Whilst ramps were there I never felt tempted to use them because you never seemed to get anywhere interesting. Contrast this to previous titles where I spent alot of my time scooting around rooftops on motorbikes etc.

Little Hoover

Quote from: mobias on July 29, 2010, 01:16:45 PM

Those little side games should really just be binned in the next GTA too. The amount of thought that must have gone into the bowling, darts and playing pool yet did anyone actaully spend any time playing these things? They would be much better off putting those resources into other things in the game.

Oh I disagree, I spent a fair amount of time playing pool, and I doubt they were a huge investment of time. I think it's good that the game offers these things because it just  mkaes you feel like there's a much wider range of choice in the game, even if it's a bit of an illusion. If all there is to do is run/drive around commiting random acts of violence then that doesn't really feel like a sandbox game to me. I'd rather they offered a lot more side games, even if they aren't that good, just because it adds variety and atmosphere.

I'm hoping GTA V will have learned a few lessons from RDR. They really managed to squeeze the maximum amount possible out of that game by creating some really nice little extra challenges - like the treasure hunting, sharp-shooting etc - compared to the "Shoot 200 pigeons" - like for example "Shoot five birds while standing on top of a moving train".

Having said that, I loved GTA IV - but that's the first one I've played having been entirely Nintendo up until then.

And TBOGT was excellent.

Quote from: VegaLA on July 28, 2010, 02:52:11 AM
Well it's been over two years since GTA IV was released, the rumours are starting!

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/22841/GTA-Vs-Location-Rumor/

Many of you preferred
Spoiler alert
San Andreas over GTA IV
[close]
so this may be a welcome return, but not sure if it was the location or the game mechanics that disapointed you. I never really got to grips woth GTA SA but GTA IV's control system worked perfectly for me, I hope they keep it for the next game.

I'm hoping the PS3 version supports Move. Scarface on the Wii had great controls. Shooting while driving with a cursor on the screen is a lot better than using a restrictive gamepad as your input device. I'd take that feature over timed exclusive DLC if cheques are being signed again.

Killzone 3 will have the functionality added without effecting CPU so there should be no problem for Rockstar. Unlike Kinect which absorbs 15% of resources and 50MB of RAM.

Nice to see another teamxbox link that just quotes IGN as a source, giving 'em some traffic.

Mister Six

Quote from: DJ Solid Snail on July 28, 2010, 12:48:04 PM
GTA IV's the "greatest piece of videogame satire ever made"? I found it the blandest, most humourless, embarassing, juvenile piece of writing I've ever witnessed in art, built on a smorgasbord of tedious clichés, teen-friendly sweariness and the most desperate attempts at humour ever, those being for the most part references to vaguely obscure sexual acts. It's badly-paced, poorly-plotted, decidedly unoriginal and unmoving, with utterly singularly-dimensioned characters and an extremely nothing ending. It is fun, and an ace game, but for heaven's sake, don't pretend the writing's any good.

I agree with this, except for the 'ace game' bit. After the everything-and-the-kitchen sink craziness of SA, GTAIV boiling the missions down to three different types (fight your way into a building, fight your way out of a building, chase a bloke and blow up his car or chase a bloke to a building then shoot him - the latter two being indistinguishable until you expend all your ammo and realise the car's invulnerable) was a huge disappointment. The new 'realistic' mechanics were unintuitive and unpleasant, the friendship missions tedious and the characters forgettable.

That a story so thin that it would be laughed out of a writers' workshop is held up as a classic of modern gaming shows the paucity of talent and ambition in the videogaming community. And the decision to go all OOH SERIOUS AND REALISTIC with the missions and central cutscenes, but leave in all the OTT radio shows and Cluckin' Bell-style wacky stores left the tone of the game sitting uncomfortably between two stools.

Hopefully a return to SA would mean a return to the OTT, epic, memorable stories of the previous games and not more tedious, worthy and boring 'realism'.

Fuck it, just buy Just Cause 2.

spanky

One of the worst things about GTA4 was the scripted nature of the pursuit missions where you couldn't actually do any damage to the vehicle you're chasing until it's gone through the set-pieces. This would be fine, but at least tell the player not to waste ammo somehow.

Quote from: Mister Six on July 30, 2010, 01:05:41 PM
That a story so thin that it would be laughed out of a writers' workshop is held up as a classic of modern gaming shows the paucity of talent and ambition in the videogaming community. And the decision to go all OOH SERIOUS AND REALISTIC with the missions and central cutscenes, but leave in all the OTT radio shows and Cluckin' Bell-style wacky stores left the tone of the game sitting uncomfortably between two stools.

I remember Brooker calling it a satirical masterpiece or somesuch nonsense - sorry, but I just don't see it.  Like you say, the story is weak also the characters lack depth and the twists (such as they are) are simply cliches.  Why does Nico jump straight off the boat and speak in U.S. colloquialism?  If they're attempting to go all 'real' then things like this just kill it for me.

The novelty of driving around NYC didn't wear off quite like I thought it would, however, the effort put into creating a living city was negated by that plot and for all its 'grittiness' GTAIV was far less fun than San Andreas.  All the talk of it being a towering piece of gaming satire baffles me: all they seemed to have done was add some spoof TV series and get a couple of comedians in.  If Rockstar had balls and really wanted to lampoon the US then they'd have made the hero an Arab.

mobias

Quote from: Mister Six on July 30, 2010, 01:05:41 PM
Fuck it, just buy Just Cause 2.

It'll be interesting to see just how much of a game changer JC2 is with regard to the next GTA. Don't get me wrong JC2 is a pile of gaming shit compared to the level of detail and depth Rockstar put into their open world games however JC2 is fun of the lowest common denominator variety. It does make such a difference having this big map to explore and not just have one highly detailed yet strangely claustrophobic city to run around in. I'm playing through JC2 at the moment and so much of it is badly done yet I do seem to be compelled to go back to it yet in some ways it was the opposite case with GTAIV. So much of it was well done, on a technical level anyway, yet it didn't have that certain something that drew me back to it again and again.

For the next GTA I'd really like to see a big map. Perhaps not as big as JC2 - some of it just seems pointlessly big - but big enough to really make you want to explore and feel you could get lost in it's atmosphere combined with Red Dead Redemption's game play ideas and level of detail. 

Mister Six

Quote from: mobias on July 30, 2010, 07:47:55 PM
It'll be interesting to see just how much of a game changer JC2 is with regard to the next GTA. Don't get me wrong JC2 is a pile of gaming shit compared to the level of detail and depth Rockstar put into their open world games however JC2 is fun of the lowest common denominator variety.

I think you're being far, far too harsh on the game. Yeah, you can't faff in bars and the cities don't have individually named streets, but I don't buy a sandbox driving game to play billiards. What it lacks in detail, Just Cause 2 makes up for in deranged entertainment. At every point where they had to choose between 'realism' and 'fun', they chose fun. The grappling hook makes no physical sense and neither do the infinite parachutes that come billowing out of your character's arse, but who cares? You can parachute into an airbase, steal an armoured car, blow up the fuel tanks and surf an escaping plane right out of there in a few fluid motions. That's far better than taking your stupid fictional cousin to a strip club.

You want another example of JC2 getting it right? Look at the way they handle the between-missions stuff. In GTA games everyone's first instinct is to go mental with machine guns or cause a massive chase with the cop cars. Of course it is. But the moment you start a mission, all that carnage vanishes like it never happened. The disparity between the inter-misison carnage and the following cutscene is immense, particularly in the later GTA games where you're not playing a complete psychopath (notice how they phase out the rampages in SA and GTA IV). But Just Cause 2 makes all that wanton destruction directly linked to your further progress in the game - you can't get those missions until you've blown up enough shit. The designers know exactly what the player wants, and don't let anything get in the way of that.

If Just Cause 3 is exactly the same, but with a proper plot, characters and actions that make sense (love the bit where you catch up with the turncoat and he says, 'Nope, I'm still on your side' and your character buys it unquestioningly) I'll be very happy indeed.

Little Hoover

I wouldn't say the over the top approach is always the way to go though, what makes San Andreas work for me is that it slowly builds towards the more dramatic missions. If it's all over the top right from the beginning it's no so fun, whereas finally being given the freedom to fly and parachute out of planes in GTA Sandreas is so much more rewarding after you've toiled away for hours.

chand

Quote from: Mister Six on July 30, 2010, 08:58:11 PMBut Just Cause 2 makes all that wanton destruction directly linked to your further progress in the game - you can't get those missions until you've blown up enough shit. The designers know exactly what the player wants, and don't let anything get in the way of that.

That's what annoyed me about Just Cause 2 though, all the 'entertaining' destruction was so forced. I don't understand why so many people think blowing shit up is so amazingly entertaining that it should be a mandatory part of progressing in the game. For me it got old real fast, there's only so many times you can watch a gas tank exploding before it becomes as yawnsome as anything else you have to repeat. I found JC2 infinitely more tedious and repetitious than GTA IV. Go to camp, run around like twat, blow some stuff up, move to identical-looking copy-pasted camp elsewhere, rinse, repeat. The destruction wasn't even as satisfying as Red Faction Guerilla.

Then again, I never got what everyone's boner for Saint's Row 2 was about either; once you get past the wacky customisable haircuts and "anarchic" vibe you still end up with lots of missions where you shoot a load of people, except with less finessed gameplay mechanics than GTA IV and a vastly more bland setting.

Mister Six

Quote from: Little Hoover on July 30, 2010, 09:04:29 PM
I wouldn't say the over the top approach is always the way to go though, what makes San Andreas work for me is that it slowly builds towards the more dramatic missions. If it's all over the top right from the beginning it's no so fun, whereas finally being given the freedom to fly and parachute out of planes in GTA Sandreas is so much more rewarding after you've toiled away for hours.

Absolutely (though I think all missions should be entertaining at the very least - not sure I appreciate being forced to do those flying school lessons), but GTA IV never really goes big enough. I remember playing Four Leaf Clover (the bank job mission that ends with you running through the subway) and thinking that I'd finally got to the really impressive missions, only to be crushed by the discovery that the rest of them were deeply unimaginative retreads of the chase/race/infiltrate missions that had come before.

JC2's a bit different because it's nowhere near as plot-based as the post-GTA III games from Rockstar have been, and because much of the OTT craziness is player-created rather than designer mandated.

Mister Six

Quote from: chand on July 30, 2010, 10:00:38 PM
That's what annoyed me about Just Cause 2 though, all the 'entertaining' destruction was so forced. I don't understand why so many people think blowing shit up is so amazingly entertaining that it should be a mandatory part of progressing in the game. For me it got old real fast, there's only so many times you can watch a gas tank exploding before it becomes as yawnsome as anything else you have to repeat.

Horses for courses, I suppose, but I found punctuating bursts of pyrotechnics and frenzied, guard-dodging violence with lazy paragliding trips and island exploration to be excellent fun. Since almost all targets are surrounded by enemies with varying levels of equipment and support, the 'blowing stuff up' bits were usually dynamic and varied enough to keep my attention, even if they were mostly variations on a theme. It's certainly a game to play in one-hour (or less) bursts rather than the 10-hour gaming sessions that GTA games encourage, but I'd rather have mandatory destruction than mandatory friendship missions. And if you do the side missions (which are entertainingly absurd, like the one where you have to shoot down space rockets) you should have no trouble building up enough chaos to keep unlocking the story missions.

mobias

Quote from: Mister Six on July 30, 2010, 08:58:11 PM

You want another example of JC2 getting it right? Look at the way they handle the between-missions stuff. In GTA games everyone's first instinct is to go mental with machine guns or cause a massive chase with the cop cars. Of course it is. But the moment you start a mission, all that carnage vanishes like it never happened. The disparity between the inter-misison carnage and the following cutscene is immense, particularly in the later GTA games where you're not playing a complete psychopath (notice how they phase out the rampages in SA and GTA IV). But Just Cause 2 makes all that wanton destruction directly linked to your further progress in the game - you can't get those missions until you've blown up enough shit. The designers know exactly what the player wants, and don't let anything get in the way of that.

I take all your points and I'm not denying there's entertainment to be had in JC2  but I disagree with your last point about the designers not letting anything get in the way of your enjoyment of the game.   To me there is just far too much getting in my way of my enjoyment of it.   The games vehicle and character physics are absolutely dreadful, San Andreas was streets ahead of it in this department and that game came out six years ago on the last generation of consoles! The voice acting and dialogue script writing is some of the worst I've ever heard in a computer game (and that's saying something) The whole world is just completely lifeless and that sort of thing does make a big difference as to how much the game captivates your attention. On top of that you've got a graphics and lighting engine which is all over the place in its quality. I thought GTAIV had its discrepancies but JC2 goes from looking almost photo real when you're flying around the skies with the sun setting behind you to having some of the blandest and badly detailed graphics I've seen this generation of consoles. Ok its a sand box game and we've come to expect this sort of thing from open world games but it does seem like the game designers went for size over quality.

And that's another thing - the sheer size of the place. The only real way to get around the huge map is by fighter plane which you then can't easily land and certainly can't easily shoot stuff up with. The helicopter gun ships are the only real option you have and it's like watching paint dry trying to get anywhere in them. Again look at how much better Rockstar did this sort of thing in San Andreas, a game which JC2 desperately wants to be I think. The most annoying thing about flying in the game is that if you're having a bit of fun low flying and you even remotely clip your wing on something BANG! you blow up in a crap explosion scene. Note how if you do the same in San Andreas you just loose a tiny bit of your wing and loose a bit of control. Rockstar even included the nice detail of smoke coming from the damaged part. I don't see why the designers of JC2 couldn't have put those sorts of details into the game.

The only part of the gameplay in JC2 which is a good idea is the vehicle and weapons upgrade kit you pick up. It really rewards you for exploring the place which in turn adds to your enjoyment of the things you'll need to help you explore it and proceed through the game. That's a clever idea and again is kind of nicked from Rockstar (although they pretty much dropped it for GTAIV) but JC2 does it in a much more fully realised way and gives it a much bigger role in the overall scheme of things.

Over all though big open world games have to be about more than blowing stuff up endlessly. And that's another thing GTA gets right.  Its definitely an adults game made for adults. Its not just an ultra violent kids game, something which JC2 definitely is.  I like the fact you can take your cousin to a strip club in GTAIV, you can also choose not to do that if you want. Its that choice thing which i really like about GTA, flaws and all.

Mister Six

Quote from: mobias on July 31, 2010, 11:29:13 AMThe games vehicle and character physics are absolutely dreadful, San Andreas was streets ahead of it in this department and that game came out six years ago on the last generation of consoles!

I had no problems here, but I spent most of my time in the air so maybe I didn't get a chance to see the true horror. Agreed on the script and voice acting, but that never got in the way of the gameplay for me, which was about zipping from building to building on my grappling hook, plugging villains and pinching helicopters.

Actually, I suspect that our differences come from how we played the game - I never really moved at ground level unless I was fighting or messing around with traffic for fun. Long-distance travel I dealt with by using the airlift option. Short-distance travel just involved hooking myself into the ground some distance away and opening the parachute as I grappled forward. That catapults you straight into the air; you can then maintain your distance by grappling onto the ground, which pulls you forward and, after a brief dip, upwards.

I never spent any real time in ground vehicles unless it was necessary for the mission (or I'd just found a turreted car) so the handling and graphical issues - and the lack of detail in the world - never bothered me.

Not sure I appreciate being told that Just Cause 2 is 'a kids' game', since that says all kinds of things about my own enjoyment of it. I agree that it's simplistic in its approach and juvenile in its fascination with big guns and explosions, but the same can be said about GTA's toilet humour. GTA IV's story isn't all that either: despite its ambitions, it never once comes close to the level of The Godfather or even Carlito's Way. Just Cause 2 doesn't even attempt to do that, which is a failure of ambition rather than ability. The creators were clearly more interested in the gameplay than the story. I hope to see a synthesis of the two at some point.

mobias

Quote from: Mister Six on August 01, 2010, 11:40:30 AM

Not sure I appreciate being told that Just Cause 2 is 'a kids' game', since that says all kinds of things about my own enjoyment of it. I agree that it's simplistic in its approach and juvenile in its fascination with big guns and explosions, but the same can be said about GTA's toilet humour. GTA IV's story isn't all that either: despite its ambitions.

But at least it has those ambitions though. At least it tries to take this generation of gaming up a level, something which we were promised a lot of when the PS3 and 360 were announced and something which few games have delivered on. Just Cause 2 is nothing more than a violent kids game (I mean which bit of it isn't?) which is fine up to a point, and I agree the same could be said for a certain amount of GTA, but when are games developers other than Rockstar going to realise there are people over the age of eighteen playing games who want to be engaged at a point slightly above the lowest common denominator? Red Dead Redemption despite its flaws really was such a good step for open world games, its set the new benchmark in my opinion. Games like JC2 have to be about more than just endlessly flying around blowing things up, fun though that is for a while. It annoys me that at their worst these games are just an affront to the intelligence of the adult gamer. Elements of JC2 certainly are.

mrfridge

Just Cause 2 is the video game equivalent of Delta Force 2. It's shit but it's stupidly entertaining shit. I wasn't 'stupidly entertained' by GTA IV, I was mildly engaged. I think both camps can learn a lot from each other, the GTA world looks minute in comparison to JC2 for starters...

chand

Quote from: mrfridge on August 01, 2010, 09:30:16 PM
Just Cause 2 is the video game equivalent of Delta Force 2. It's shit but it's stupidly entertaining shit. I wasn't 'stupidly entertained' by GTA IV, I was mildly engaged. I think both camps can learn a lot from each other, the GTA world looks minute in comparison to JC2 for starters...

But JC2's world is full of vast tracts of pointless land with nothing in it, I parachuted out of a chopper once and was running for what seemed like 5 minutes before I got to a road.

mrfridge

Well yes but at least there's a bit more realism in that respect. GTA IV has some nicely planned city maps but there's nothing outside of the city really. No vast mountains or lakes. A map maybe half the size of JC2's with a bit more planning and memorable locations would be nice. I've not played Red Dead Redemption yet, how big are those maps in comparison to GTA?

mobias

Quote from: mrfridge on August 01, 2010, 11:18:31 PM
I've not played Red Dead Redemption yet, how big are those maps in comparison to GTA?

Rockstar claim its twice the size of San Andreas. Taking into consideration your only means of transportation is by horse the map seems vast and is of course mostly wild countryside. Also Rockstar were clever with RDR in that you can see lands beyond the bounderies of the game area so it gives the feeling you're part of an even bigger picture. The lighting engine and graphics in RDR redemption are way way superior to JC2 so its all much more interesting to look at and be part of. The whole thing is a CGI work of art in my opinion.

I agree with the other part of your post though. If the next GTA could have a map half the size of JC2 but with RDR's level of detail it would amazing to play about in.

falafel

Quote from: chand on August 01, 2010, 10:32:55 PM
But JC2's world is full of vast tracts of pointless land with nothing in it, I parachuted out of a chopper once and was running for what seemed like 5 minutes before I got to a road.

Point's already been made: that's why you use the parachute and slingshot your way about. That's far more fun than jogging around and if the landscape was smaller it would diminish the joy of swooping over the trees. That parachute is the heart of the game for me.

Anyway, when is Rockstar's big presentation thingy happening?

mobias

Quote from: falafel on August 02, 2010, 09:49:15 AM

Anyway, when is Rockstar's big presentation thingy happening?

Have they got a big presentation coming up? I know there are a couple of big games expos over the next few months so I'm sure we'll hear something about Rockstar North's Agent game sooner rather than later. I'm not holding my breath for any info on the next GTA thought. Next year maybe. Be interesting to see how this generation of consoles pans out for GTA. There were three GTA's last generation but with very strong rumours that the next generation of consoles are being planned for 2012/2013 I'm not sure we'll see a third GTA for the 360 and PS3. Hope we do though.

VegaLA

A 3RD GTA? Are you counting RDR as a second?
I missed something didn't I!

mobias

Quote from: VegaLA on August 02, 2010, 06:29:27 PM
A 3RD GTA? Are you counting RDR as a second?
I missed something didn't I!

No sorry I meant a third GTA this generation after the one that (we presume) must be currently in production. Incidentally GTA V will be the GTA that appears next generation. The number after the GTA title indicates the engine it was built on. Hence Vice City and San Andreas were part of the GTAIII cycle of games for last generation and the next GTA will almost certainly follow that pattern and be called something as part of the GTAIV cycle.

chand

Quote from: falafel on August 02, 2010, 09:49:15 AM
Point's already been made: that's why you use the parachute and slingshot your way about. That's far more fun than jogging around and if the landscape was smaller it would diminish the joy of swooping over the trees.

That's briefly fun, but it's difficult to slingshot those thin trees accurately, found myself spending half my time trying to get airborn again. It's alright but it's a painfully slow way to progress.

niat

GTA IV was the game that finally made me break and buy a 360. There are moments in the game that are unsurpassed in terms of graphical beauty and I've yet to see anything to compare to flying a helicopter over Liberty City at sunset (though some of RDR has come close). I still haven't completed the main story, as with all other GTA games I've played, it's just too damn big and has too many enjoyable distractions for me to get though the whole storyline. I completed TLAD, and probably enjoyed it even more than Nico's missions. TBOGT was also great, but I didn't manage to complete it before the distractions of Mass Effect 2 led me astray.

The only game that I've played that has had moments to compare with the escalating chaos that you can trigger in GTA IV was Far Cry 2. A flawed game, but some of the random encounters that I managed to experience, with rapidly encroaching fire and judicious use of heavy weaponry, for example, were the very essence of open-world gaming for me.

mrfridge

Far Cry 2 was great. Not a patch on the original Far Cry but then it was a completely different game (to the point where a phone call to Trading Standards would not be unacceptable). They missed a trick by not making more use of aircraft though. At a couple of points in the game you briefly get to play with a hang glider but it would have been ace to get a microlight or helicopter.

The problem with most of these sand box games (as has been pointed out before) is the monotony of the missions. That said, I did just finish one on Just Cause 2 that involved flying a helicopter up to a vast mountain oil refinery, parachuting down, blowing loads of stuff up in order to flush out a kidnapper and his victim. When you go to recover the victim (she's not there SHOCK) you're confronted by three ninjas (that's right, ninjas), kill them, jump of a cliff, parachute onto a jeep, take jeep, leap from moving jeep into kidnappers vehicle, beat the driver to death, take control of vehicle then jump from top of vehicle into mates helicopter. The end.  In GTA IV at this point in the game I would have maybe gone on a date with an annoying bint to see Ricky Gervais in a virtual comedy club. Either that or get a hand job from a whore. Like people have said they're very different games...