Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 01:46:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

lets do some monging or something

Started by ziggy starbucks, July 29, 2010, 05:22:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggy starbucks

I'm bored and want to do something. I'd like to do that something with you lot as this is the only forum I ever visit. What do other forums do to provoke some photoshoppery? I have no ideas what this something might be so I'd be keen to hear your ideas.

I only had the chance to do 4 shots in wimblemong this year.

yours boredly
ziggy

Big Jack McBastard

Also up for it, I knocked up a thread a wee while ago pining for some mongery and sod all came of it....

Quote from: Big Jack McBastard on May 15, 2010, 03:34:31 AM
I've been racking my brain on the method of it though;

1. A grid we add pictures to? One starts at the centre and then 4 more attached (top, bottom, sides) and then another 4 in the corners to finish off? (Could go larger but that could take a while).

2. Start at the bottom with a set size for each piece and work our way up until...... something? **Tower**

3. Bert: "Look at my fucking pic!".....Ernie: "Hah I just made it sexier/scarier/more disturbing/less hairy/more hairy/" etc ad infinitum? <ooh get me with me foreign> Could be one pic being altered all the way through or a few people working on different ones. **Phototopped**

4. We take a pic carve it up on a grid and anyone who wants a square calls it ('Firsties' of course being the rule of law on that one) and then does.... whatever they like to it, while keeping some semblance of what was there to begin with naturally. Could start with a blank white grid or the original pic.(Cameron and Clegg perhaps?). **In essence a Frankenmong**

5. You lot trample all over my ideas with far better ones, shaming and impressing me in the process.
Tower:
Pro: Monger introduces their own theme, taking into account the last and influencing the next.
Pro: Turns out unexpected results and can be fun.
Pro: Not dependant on timely participation as 'first in' wins (or it goes to a swift vote if it's close)

Con: Could stagnate if folks take the piss or no-one bothers

Phototopped:
Pro: Is open to any kind of alteration.
Pro: Many base pics can be used, thus varied results.
Pro: The well versed could proffer helpful hints for people not fantastically adept in some aspects of monging, provided they're willing.

Con: Criticisms bruise the occasional bottom.

Might take off more once Wimblemong is done but I'm still game.

Koant

An tSaoi

Quote from: ziggy starbucks on July 29, 2010, 05:22:28 PM
What do other forums do to provoke some photoshoppery?

On Fark they get someone to post a normal picture, and everyone else does a funny photoshop of it. There's no back and forth, just everyone monging that one picture. At the end there's a vote. It's quite simple.

alcoholic messiah

How about a Wimblemong mixed doubles event some time?

Same format as the singles, but pair up experienced mongers with novices. Each of the 4 mongers in a match plays one shot, perhaps with the novice players going first.

And rather than a knockout tournament, it could be done as a round-robin, with longer times between shots. That would also mean that new teams could enter at any time. Just set a start and end date, and whichever team tops the league table at the end is the winner.

If there are aspiring mongers out there who want to sharpen their skills, it would be a good way to get them involved, with the wise old masters in each pairing passing on advice to their raw, unformed apprentices.

alan nagsworth

Bring back 'Mong the shit out of each other'!

That's all I have to say. Anything else, though, I'm also game for.

Zero Gravitas

perhaps a 'wimblemong that never ends' such as someone tried to start at some point in the past where a mong is posted initially and following posters choose a mong from the thread and mong it again?

copylight

Seconded, the Olympics has a supplementary special Olympics event so why doesn't Wimblemong?

ziggy starbucks

these are all good ideas. I think we should have more competitions in addition to wimblemong but also having some long running mongathons which people to contribute to as and when they wish.

I think wimblemong works because its all about verbwhores inspiring each other and giving each other ideas. I'm not sure 'monging the news' threads have much life in them these days

Mr_Simnock

If we do have an eternal wimblemong thread, can we have a much larger resolution to work with? like 1020 x 800? if so I'd be happy to start one off.

ziggy starbucks

I think eternal wimblemong would be good, so yeah go for it Mr S.

I'd be inclined to say there should be no restrictions whatsoever, so image size/gifs etc is entirely up to the monger. Does anyone have thoughts?

Small Man Big Horse

No animated gifs!

Well, I guess we could have them, but maybe in a separate competition?

Feel free to ignore this though, as they the people behind them have always been incredibly talented, and it'd be a shame not to see them at all.

ziggy starbucks

I worry that a separate gif competition would never work due to the work and hassle of making them. Eternal wimblemong might be the perfect place to encourage giffers everywhere, as might the other ideas discussed in the thread so far

Unless of course we can come up with a great idea for a gif competition! I'm sure we can. Thoughts people?

alcoholic messiah

I have a personal challenge for Big Jack McBastard.

I thought it was very naughty of you to post an idea for a return in the middle of a match, so as penance for your sins, I sentence you to create a 600x400 or 400x600 mong that uses your rather good "Pup Fiction" idea as its conceptual base.

Redemption is within your grasp.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on August 03, 2010, 10:02:09 PM
If we do have an eternal wimblemong thread, can we have a much larger resolution to work with? like 1020 x 800? if so I'd be happy to start one off.

Fucking hell, I know we were on about changing the resolution but that's a bit of a step up isn't it?!

Big Jack McBastard

Quote from: alcoholic messiah on August 03, 2010, 11:10:33 PM
I have a personal challenge for Big Jack McBastard.

I thought it was very naughty of you to post an idea for a return in the middle of a match, so as penance for your sins, I sentence you to create a 600x400 or 400x600 mong that uses your rather good "Pup Fiction" idea as its conceptual base.

Redemption is within your grasp.

I am a scoundrel, there's little use denying it.

So be it!

I shall serve my time and produce a yet another malformed offspring in the coming days.

copylight

With regards to these ideas I suggest Ziggy launch a pole up your mum

ziggy starbucks

so far we have the following ideas:

1) jack's grid idea
2) wimblemong doubles
3) mong the shit out of each other part 2
4) eternal wimblemong
5) a gif competition

I think the jack's grid idea and eternal wimblemong can start soon and go on in the background for ages. We could try the competition ideas out when summer wimblemong is dead and the nights get longer and colder. I'm all for monging the shit out of you lot, it isn't hard to stick a hitler tashe on any of you beard wearing, the wire loving weirdos.

I think the gif competition idea could work. One gif per person, per game. A set of rules limiting image size and animation length. Bish bosh

what about a 'Mong the Popular board topic of the week' thread, where the images relate to what's being discussed on other threads. Although the thread might entirely consist of Gervais and Jew mongs.

There were some people up for a jalopy, but I think Wimblemong trampled on that one.

How about a Wimblemong trophy competition, free for all to enter, voted for by all, to be getting on with until Wimble season's over?

ziggy starbucks

Jalopy was good, although I wonder if the voting system put some people off. It does require people to directly say that they didn't like a photoshop or preferred one over an other. So yes....

1) jack's grid idea
2) wimblemong doubles
3) mong the shit out of each other part 2
4) eternal wimblemong
5) a gif competition
6) LMC's jalopy

and what about resurrecting audio cut ups on the board. They do take an absolute age to make but maybe there is a way of getting that stuff going again. Robot De Niro might have some nice ideas about that?

Big Jack McBastard

- I went for 'less is more'.

Thought of several ('Od'ing bitch', 'Does he look like a bitch?', I even found a breed of dog called a Coonhound (raccoon hunter) for 'Dead Coonhound Storage') but the dogs faces were too good on these to pass up.

If I could have gotten a decent size and res pic of Butch and Marcellus Wallace with ball gags in their mouths that would have been the one..

alcoholic messiah

Nicely done Jack[nb]But would it have killed you to add the fucking logo?[/nb]. SLJ's hair goes particularly well with that grumpy dog's mug.

Big Jack McBastard

I wish I'd furred up their hands as well now...

Robot DeNiro

Quote from: ziggy starbucks on August 04, 2010, 02:48:34 PM
and what about resurrecting audio cut ups on the board. They do take an absolute age to make but maybe there is a way of getting that stuff going again. Robot De Niro might have some nice ideas about that?

If I recall correctly, the last time we attempted an audio monging competition, it all fizzled out before the end and we agreed never to speak of it again.  Here's how it all started:  http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,11672.html

I'm not sure how much interest there would be if we attempted something similar now, but I'd join in, time permitting.  For that competition, it wasn't just cut ups, people could do music or any kind of audio piece they liked. 

Is anyone remotely interested in doing something like that again?

NoSleep

Quote from: Robot DeNiro on August 09, 2010, 12:14:40 AM
If I recall correctly, the last time we attempted an audio monging competition, it all fizzled out before the end and we agreed never to speak of it again.  Here's how it all started:  http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,11672.html

I'm not sure how much interest there would be if we attempted something similar now, but I'd join in, time permitting.  For that competition, it wasn't just cut ups, people could do music or any kind of audio piece they liked. 

Is anyone remotely interested in doing something like that again?

There is an audio mong/mix thing happening every fortnight on CaB radio these days (the 3rd is this coming Friday 13th [wish I had clocked the date before submitting mine]). The first one I entered was the second competition, and ended up taking an entire week composing tunes and chopping things about to fill the time limits (30-45 minutes) which left me with things that could have been worked further if i hadn't spread myself so thin. Thankfully the time limits have been lifted, so it would be possible to submit a superbly-honed 5 minutes. My submission for this week is only 21 minutes and still took two days to complete, but it is a subject close to my bitter heart (Rock'n'Roll) and I still managed to spread myself thinner than time (to work on it) would permit.

I'd be interested in some audiomongering, as it seems to be a compulsion once I get into gear.

Neil

People just need to come up with concepts, and start new threads.  Part of the problem is that old 'never-ending threads' issue, so that any new photoshop thread is going to become quickly knocked down the page by fake tv wikipedia beer dream limericks etc stuff.  That and the general reluctance people have to start new threads, for reasons I still can't fathom.  But if someone does, such as Shoulders with the HOPA girl, then there's plenty of people around who will actually engage with the new idea.

EDIT:  I've stickyed all those awful, long-running threads now, perhaps that will allow people to find the new ideas easier?[nb]edit: No, it's inevitably going to cause a So Many Things situation, where people flock to them because they're now even easier to find.[/nb]  I dunno what to do, the reliance on never-ending threads is really killing the whole place for me again at the minute, and I can't currently be arsed with all the disapproval caused by locking them.  People are so ingrained in them, that they just pop up habitually again anyway. 

Edit:  VVV Or I just stop being a fanny, and lock the tiresome things.  Do we really need six years worth of fake tv shows, for instance?  VVV

Zero Gravitas

Perhaps some tweaking of posting in a thread identified as being a drain would be useful to make them less attractive as idea magnets like adding a captcha or similar minor inconvenience.