Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:27:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Credits Query

Started by Serge, July 29, 2010, 07:15:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Serge

I went to see 'Inception' yesterday, and, as I mentioned in the thread, I spent the whole movie trying to figure out who Tom Hardy was, uneasily deciding he might be Jeremy Northam, and the reason for this is that 'Inception' is one of those increasingly common movies that don't have any opening titles whatsoever. As I recall, neither 'Batman Begins' of 'The Dark Knight' do either, so Nolan has form in this area. 'Apocolypse Now' is possibly the most famous example of this, though I'm sure somebody will be able to tell me it wasn't the first.

Anyway, this got me thinking in the other direction, about movies that don't have end credits, or at least, don't have them at the end. The only one I can think of is 'Monty Python And The Holy Grail', which makes a virtue of front-loading the credits by making that yet another joke in the movie with the Swedish subtitles, etc. So the movie actually ends with the policeman putting his hand over the camera, which must have been a bit disorientating to anyone who saw it at the cinema in 1975.

So, my query is - are there any other films which simply end without credits?

Most old black and white films have the credits up front. There often shorter too, without every man and his dog getting a credit. At some point it switched around and it was all gaffers ball gobbler number 3 and Dead corpse in a dustbin at the end.

Cerys

Does The Blair Witch Project have end credits?  I can't remember offhand.

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: Cerys on July 29, 2010, 07:59:19 PM
Does The Blair Witch Project have end credits?  I can't remember offhand.

It does.

Paranormal Activity has a single static screen of credits, Schizopolis has a single frame of credits, and The Tenant just has the studio logo.

The Birds, Fahrenheit 451 and Guy Ritchie's Ritual Kabbala Career Suicide Revolver all have a copyright notice and a studio logo, and nothing else. Revolver's comes after five minutes of black screen and jazz piano.

Cerys

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on July 29, 2010, 08:06:15 PM
It does.

Figures - putting them at the start really wouldn't work.

Serge

Quote from: Delete Delete Delete on July 29, 2010, 07:31:48 PMMost old black and white films have the credits up front.

True, though most of them end with a caption saying 'The End'. I guess what I meant was films which just end without anything specifically signifying that they're over.

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on July 29, 2010, 08:06:15 PMParanormal Activity has a single static screen of credits, Schizopolis has a single frame of credits, and The Tenant just has the studio logo.

The Birds, Fahrenheit 451 and Guy Ritchie's Ritual Kabbala Career Suicide Revolver all have a copyright notice and a studio logo, and nothing else. Revolver's comes after five minutes of black screen and jazz piano.

Cheers for that. Fahrenheit 451 has spoken opening credits, doesn't it? I should have known that one of those pesky Nouvelle Vague types would have done it.

HAYRDRYAH

Quote from: Serge on July 29, 2010, 07:15:36 PMAs I recall, neither 'Batman Begins' of 'The Dark Knight' do either, so Nolan has form in this area

Memento has opening credits and an abrupt ending, which may be relevant or not given the film's backward structure.

Butch Cassidy is bookended by opening credits and a fade to sepia. Also horror films tend to do this for shock value, like the theatrical releases of Drag Me to Hell, Quarantine and Darkness Falls

El Unicornio, mang

The Departed has no opening credits, and the title of the film only appears briefly about 20 minutes into the film

Rev

Quote from: Delete Delete Delete on July 29, 2010, 07:31:48 PM
Most old black and white films have the credits up front.

And one of the many great things about Frankenstein is the way it pissed about with that tradition.  The credits sheet appears at the start of the film, but with a quesion mark against the credit for da monsta.  The same sheet appears at the end, with Karloff properly credited.  Making some kind of point?  Nah, just dicking around.

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: Serge on July 29, 2010, 08:38:48 PM
True, though most of them end with a caption saying 'The End'. I guess what I meant was films which just end without anything specifically signifying that they're over

Surely you can see the flaw in this, film buffs would be left waiting in the cinema for ever wondering if there's an extra scene or some funny bloopers to play out after everyone thinks it's finished.

biggytitbo

The Magnificent Ambersons has no credits at all, Orsen Welles reads them out as each actor is shown in turn.

Serge

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on July 30, 2010, 08:10:33 AM
Surely you can see the flaw in this, film buffs would be left waiting in the cinema for ever wondering if there's an extra scene or some funny bloopers to play out after everyone thinks it's finished.

Though that was my point about how weird it must have been to watch 'Holy Grail' in the cinema when it was first released....

Subtle Mocking

Irreversible opens with the end credits, and ends with 'LE TEMPS DETRUIT TOUT' (time destroys everything) flashing on screen, with no end credits (structured backwards). Here's the quite creepy opening (closing?) credits: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXaDWo_YRnA

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Delete Delete Delete on July 29, 2010, 07:31:48 PM
Most old black and white films have the credits up front. There often shorter too, without every man and his dog getting a credit. At some point it switched around and it was all gaffers ball gobbler number 3 and Dead corpse in a dustbin at the end.
You're dead right - and although there are some notable exceptions, in America, it was only until the 1970s that full credits were put at the end of the film.

Catalogue Trousers

Did "Seconds" have so much as a THE END caption card?