Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:08:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Seeing Films For Free

Started by Small Man Big Horse, July 30, 2010, 02:23:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

As I'm a cheap bastard, if I can get to see something for nought, it makes me a happy, happy man.

I'm a member of SeeFilmFirst - http://www.seefilmfirst.com/homepage.welcome.action - but thanks to the annoying folks on the Money Saving Expert forum, the tickets seem to go in seconds these days.

I'm also a Facebook fan of Optimum Releasing after Neil won those Four Lions tickets, and was lucky enough to see Gainsbourg tonight for free, with a Q&A session with the director afterwards.

But does anyone else know of any ways of getting hold of free tickets? Are there any other distributors or production companies on Facebook that run competitions for free tickets? Or websites that give them away too?

Small Man Big Horse

Thanks for those, have just signed up. I've just noticed that ShowFilmsFirst has a facebook page too, which occasionally offers tickets as well. Oh, and this is the thread on MSE for those who might be interested: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=606589&page=2

George Oscar Bluth II

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on July 30, 2010, 02:23:47 AM
I'm a member of SeeFilmFirst - http://www.seefilmfirst.com/homepage.welcome.action - but thanks to the annoying folks on the Money Saving Expert forum, the tickets seem to go in seconds these days.

That would explain why the people who come to these things are all such arses then.

Custard

I've been thinking about putting an advert in the local paper, looking for a new mate who's on Orange, as i literally don't know ANYONE on that network and it really annoys me.

We'd only meet up Wednesdays, we wouldn't have to talk, and in return he or she could lend summat off me. My hoover or summat.

The Plunger

Or your cock/fanny (delete as appropriate).

bill hicks

One tip I would have is to find a way of pretending to be a member of the local press and go in on a Friday asking for a review ticket. I don't know of a single cinema in our chain that actually authenticates who the local rags reviewer is and they generally just let them in without a second thought. The guy has a notebook with him = he must be legit. It's like Doctor Who's psychic paper. There isn't even a real policy about it. No one mentions it. When new people start working and end up on the Box Office they just look slightly concerned for a moment and then print a freeview ticket and hope they didn't do something wrong. After a few weeks they just accept that this is normal.

It's not even like it's vitally important the guy gets in. He comes in on the Friday morning the film opens. What good is his review going to be? Most of the staff have watched the preview screening before he has. We don't even advertise with them.

non capisco

The Cineworld unlimited card has saved me a ludicrous amount of money over the last five years. If you see two films in a month you've made a saving, I routinely go and see two a week on average. Sorry if this post seems too much like an advert. In the interests of balance, the Haymarket Cineworld has an awful sound system in screen 1 and screen 2 often smells faintly of piss (I went and saw 'Hunger' there and the bit where they tip their urine out of the cells into the corridor made me think I was at a smell-o-vision presentation), but other than that it's a fantastic investment if you're into yuz films.

Phil_A

Quote from: non capisco on July 30, 2010, 11:38:17 PM
The Cineworld unlimited card has saved me a ludicrous amount of money over the last five years. If you see two films in a month you've made a saving, I routinely go and see two a week on average. Sorry if this post seems too much like an advert. In the interests of balance, the Haymarket Cineworld has an awful sound system in screen 1 and screen 2 often smells faintly of piss (I went and saw 'Hunger' there and the bit where they tip their urine out of the cells into the corridor made me think I was at a smell-o-vision presentation), but other than that it's a fantastic investment if you're into yuz films.

The Unlimited Card is great, yeah. Except for the fact that they still try and squeeze an extra couple of quid out of you for 3D showings. Greedy fuckers.

Famous Mortimer

For reals, see films for nowt at www.indiemoviesonline.com. There's the last Peter Greenaway film and tons of other stuff. All supported by advertising, apparently.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on August 24, 2010, 08:31:13 AM
For reals, see films for nowt at www.indiemoviesonline.com. There's the last Peter Greenaway film and tons of other stuff. All supported by advertising, apparently.
*tips hat* Cheers for that!

Geraint

Quote from: non capisco on July 30, 2010, 11:38:17 PM

the problem with the Cineworld round here is that they actively avoid screening films like In The Loop or Four Lions that many other UK Cineworld branches do show - because they know the local Arts Centre will show them. My sister has an unlimited card but still ends up paying for about 10 films a year that she'd be covered with in a different UK city. Also, even though they take a lot of personal details when you sign up for one - they don't use them themselves. They're taken purely to create another revenue stream by selling them on. They're not unique in doing that but to not use them themselves - meaning my sister has been turned away from films she's old enough to see and has in a sense already paid to see - is a special kind of dodgy.