Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:15:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

CaB: The Album

Started by The Masked Unit, August 05, 2010, 05:59:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoSleep

Quote from: falafel on August 21, 2010, 08:33:00 AM
Is it too late to join in?
I don't think so. Let's say, no, it isn't too late to join in.

falafel

Great, I'm in.

Shall we say we've got about a week each, after which we submit to the next one plus NoSleep... That's fourteen weeks right there...

Maybe also a week or two's window after to polish up (without varying significantly from the original submission) before sending a remastered copy to NoSleep (if we want to)?

NoSleep

Yeah, as soon as a working demo can be sent to the next person, that should be good enough, then the rough edges can be worked on. Knowing how these things work, I can see myself preferring the demos in some cases[nb]As the tendency is to perfect something toward blandness[/nb], unless there's fundamental flaws in there; in which case it's too early to submit.

The Masked Unit

lazyhour

So someone needs to volunteer to be the person I send my track to, right?

The Masked Unit

Yep! Why, have you already done it?

Jaffit

I will have to pull out of this unfortunately due to illness. Still looking forward to hearing the end result though!

NoSleep

But illness is a quality we're keen on. Are you saying we're not ill enough?

lazyhour

Quote from: The Masked Unit on August 21, 2010, 02:12:26 PM
Yep! Why, have you already done it?

Good gracious, no. I just like to be prepared!

small_world

Just a quick question. What sort of stuff do people tend to write? What is your natural 'sound'.
My natural sound is similar to an 80yr old bending over. But musically I lean towards a (I've spoilered this incase it spoils the essential idea) 
Spoiler alert
post-rock
[close]
kind of thing, but I'm interested in taking part in this becuse I think it'll force me to diversify.

falafel

I've mainly done of-kilter synth pop / electro / ambient but I'm planning to stretch myself on this one, so depending on what comes before you might get a proto-punk freakshow or a surf-rock psychedelic wig-out.

chand

Quote from: small_world on August 21, 2010, 07:55:50 PMI think it'll force me to diversify.

I tried to diversify once and it was a massive failure, which is why I'm not doing this, haha.

lazyhour

Just so people can be prepared, my vision for my opening track is at the moment going in an old jazz/soundtrack/library music direction. Hope that doesn't upset anyone too much!

lazyhour

Right, a demo versh will be ready in the next day or two. Who wants to step up?

NoSleep

With jaffit pulling out that leaves us with 13 participants:

1  The Masked Unit
2  Shoulders?-Stomach!
3  purlieu
4  Johnny Textface
5  hummingofevil
6  Beagle 2
7  waste of chops
8  El Unicornio, mang
9  lazyhour
10 Phil_A
11 rudi[nb]Only after August.[/nb]
12 small_world
13 falafel

So, who's up to follow? Or should there be a draw, or something?

I'll PM the lot of you.

purlieu

For the record, what kind of thing are we talking about when we say the track should be vaguely similar to the previous?  Just some ideas.  I realised I have no idea what that means.
I'm not fussed when I go, I'll leave that kind of thing up to you clever people.

lazyhour

I just take it to mean that the track should flow naturally from the previous person's effort, like on any good, well-sequenced album. It shouldn't be a complete mood-killer. That said, I don't see why it can't be a big change from the previous track, as long as you consider how the two tracks will sound back to back.

Phil_A

I vote for the random draw.

Johnny Textface

I would say Kid A by the head is a good example - it works as an album - its more than the sum of its parts.
Where as Hail to the Theif is like they threw a dice - it sounds pretty random trackwise.

I expect Radiohead had a bunch of songs already though - making the process easier.

To achieve this in a track by track method is going to be quite tough I expect.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I think we should also decide what method to use to do the draw randomly too.

Oh and just to add, if I have to follow a rap or jazz song I am fucked.

NoSleep

Quote from: purlieu on August 23, 2010, 03:24:42 PM
For the record, what kind of thing are we talking about when we say the track should be vaguely similar to the previous?  Just some ideas.  I realised I have no idea what that means.
I'm not fussed when I go, I'll leave that kind of thing up to you clever people.

I don't think they have to be similar. It just has to follow nicely. As more tracks accumulate (me being the only person who gets to hear the thing coming together) I might be able to suggest a direction or two that might be useful to follow to the next person. Putting an album together is a bit like putting a live set or a mix together; building some excitement, then relaxing the pace, followed by building back up until you get to a finale (perhaps with some other rests along the way beforehand).

Might I suggest we all tune to A=440 as well (probably goes without saying), so that the key changes that occur between tracks gel together well. Picking a good key to go into from the previous track should be a major (or minor) consideration, be it a smooth transition or a jarring one.

lazyhour

Quote from: NoSleep on August 23, 2010, 04:07:38 PM
Might I suggest we all tune to A=440 as well (probably goes without saying)

Erm, what?[nb]I wish I'd studied music at school.[/nb]

NoSleep

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on August 23, 2010, 03:58:32 PM
I think we should also decide what method to use to do the draw randomly too.

Oh and just to add, if I have to follow a rap or jazz song I am fucked.

Not necessarily.

Regard the draw, we could have a big one-off draw and declare an order from the start, or have a draw at each point that a new track is required. Given that a certain flexibility will probably be required regards availability of participants (or even getting a response) at a given time, either can be made to work fine.
I can put all your names in a box and draw one whenever it's needed, or draw another if somebody isn't around at that time.

NoSleep

Quote from: lazyhour on August 23, 2010, 04:10:34 PM
Erm, what?[nb]I wish I'd studied music at school.[/nb]

Do you have a tuner?

NoSleep

Here's a guitar tuner: http://www.guitarforbeginners.com/onlinetuner.html
another: http://www.gieson.com/Library/projects/utilities/tuner/
And there is an audio example of an A that is vibrating at exactly 440 cycles per second on the wiki page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A440_%28Concert_A%29

purlieu

I always forget people still use real instruments.

*eyes guitar, gently weeping in corner*

lazyhour

Quote from: NoSleep on August 23, 2010, 04:16:03 PM
Do you have a tuner?

It's the 440 that scared me.

So.... do you just mean that our music should be in tune?

purlieu

He means none of your fancy "non-standard" tunings like those foreign musics he listens to.

falafel

rudi

Quote from: lazyhour on August 23, 2010, 04:47:11 PM
It's the 440 that scared me.

So.... do you just mean that our music should be in tune?

In a sense, yes, but also that everyone is in tune with each other. To do that you need to decide what note A is going to be.