Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 01:18:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Which Smart Phone?

Started by Garfield And Friends, August 09, 2010, 08:59:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onken

I can't wait to get an iPhone 6. The HTC whatever I've suffered with for the last 18 months has been a piece of shit and deserves to be thrown at a wall. Never, ever, am I using an Android device.

momatt

I got a Samsung Note 3 a few weeks ago.  Lovely thing.  Works a treat and is brilliant at everything.  The screen seemed massive at first, but now is perfectly normal to me.  All other phones just look too small now.

Quote from: Onken on September 08, 2014, 07:02:47 AM
I can't wait to get an iPhone 6. The HTC whatever I've suffered with for the last 18 months has been a piece of shit and deserves to be thrown at a wall. Never, ever, am I using an Android device.

You know Android don't actually make phones?
I've found that the lower-spec Androids are a bit shit, whereas the more expensive ones are great.
Personal preference and that though, blah blah etc...

Artemis

I can't wait to get an iPhone 6.

I'm also in that club. Unfortunately, I'm upgrading from an iPod touch which I've been using for the last few months. While I'm looking forward to the performance increase and screen size, the form factor will be lost on me because the iPhone 6 - if rumours are to be belived - is just a bigger iPod touch.

Still, shut up and take my money, Apple.

falafel

My boyfriend had a Wildfire and it was indeed a piece of shit. I talked him into geting a Moto G last month and he LOVES it. Like yer man says, Android is a very very broad church and having moved from Apple to decent Android devices for the last four years, it would take a hell of a lot to persuade me to go back.

But then there is something about Apple that gets my back up. Mainly Jony Ive and his creepy sad puppy face and cult-leader voice.

Onken

is Three shit compared to o2 or something?

MojoJojo

I think they're outside the quality brands level. The sort of people who are happy to have a £50 a month contract for no reason won't touch them because of that.

I think they don't do brilliantly on coverage either - although I'd be surprised if that mattered to you much.

Marv Orange

Quote from: Onken on September 09, 2014, 08:28:39 PM

3 own the weakest of the frequencies, it has trouble penetrating buildings and doesn't like being near to glass.

I can't even browse the internet while having a shit at work.

They can't compete on service so they compete on price. i pay 13 or 15 quid a month sim only 4g and all you can eat data. I will be swapping to one of the other providers when the contract is up.

Hmm,  I've just ordered a oneplus one and I've got a 3 sim card ordered as well. I'm going to put the sim in an old phone and keep an eye on signal strength before I commit to anything.

Onken

momatt

Quote from: falafel on September 09, 2014, 05:09:13 PM
My boyfriend had a Wildfire and it was indeed a piece of shit.

Good example of my point, this is one of the cheapest phones you can get.  So being shit probably wasn't a huge surprise.
You get what you pay for with, as with anything else.  The operating system certainly isn't to blame.

Replies From View

I'm with Three (have been since I first got a mobile phone in 2004).  No problems with them nowadays to be honest.

mcbpete

Quote from: momatt on September 10, 2014, 08:56:25 AM
Good example of my point, this is one of the cheapest phones you can get.  So being shit probably wasn't a huge surprise.
You get what you pay for with, as with anything else.  The operating system certainly isn't to blame.
Spend ages trying to explain that to my flat mate a few years ago - Him with a super cheap phone running android completely bloated by the phone company, mine mid-priced running a clean Android install via Cyanogenmod. He wasn't having any of it...

Rolf Lundgren

It's all about coverage. Always worth looking at a coverage checker map to help decide.

Onken

I'm with Virgin Mobile for the benefits of being a duel Virgin Media customer and half the rooms in our house fail to get reception. If I leave my phone in the kitchen it goes start to voice mail.

Paaaaul

I'm on Vodafone and I get great coverage in your kitchen.

Artemis

I don't get any coverage but I fried up a couple of killer eggs last time you were all out.

VegaLA

I killed some covers and fried some phones while you were out....

Harpo Speaks

Quote from: Onken on September 10, 2014, 09:32:09 PM
I'm with Virgin Mobile for the benefits of being a duel Virgin Media customer and half the rooms in our house fail to get reception. If I leave my phone in the kitchen it goes start to voice mail.

Had the exact same problem on my HTC, Virgin's coverage is shocking here. Vast majority of time the phone would be showing as emergency calls only, calls in would go straight to voicemail, and texts were really delayed. Shame as like you I use them for TV/internet but never mind.

Just got a Samsung S5 Mini, which I was loving, but immediately I've got a fucking problem with it where anyone that calls me is hearing themselves echoing back. Everything sounds fine my end, but calls in cause the echo. Took it to the phone shop in Tesco, would it replicate the problem there and then? Would it fuck. Going to do a bit more investigating then see if switching the handsets will help. I've noticed that if the phone is on speakerphone then there is no echo for the other person which may be significant. Going to see if headphones also help.

momatt

Quote from: kenneth trousers on September 09, 2014, 10:49:17 PM
Hmm,  I've just ordered a oneplus one and I've got a 3 sim card ordered as well. I'm going to put the sim in an old phone and keep an eye on signal strength before I commit to anything.

Did you ever get your oneplus one? If so, which model? Black or white?

I think I'm getting an invite any day now and want to get the girlfriend one. I think she'd prefer black, but that's the most expensive option and I don't think she'd need the huge 64GB storage that the black offers.

She's on 3 UK and you mentioned that 4G works on 3. Have you got 4G working?

Yep, I got the 64GB black one. I can't recommend it enough. The only downside that I have found is that it's not MHL enabled, meaning that I can't attach it to my TV via a USB to HDMI. I fancied doing this to watch the Ryder Cup and the odd football match with a sports streaming app I have.
The battery is incredible. I can get all day, plus a night shift on a charge and that's using it for all sorts, everything switched on. It charges from 30% (the lowest I've had it at) in about an hour.

As for 3, I signed up for a rolling 1 month, 4GB or data sim only deal after years on GiffGaff. After a week I had less than 2GB remaining so I've changed it to a 12 month, unlimited data deal for £18 a month although I think that has gone up to £20 now. I was a bit hesitant about the 4G as some stuff online says only in London and Manchester at the moment but rolling out across the UK through 2014. Well I've had and 4G at Sheffield, Leicester, Derby, Long Eaton and can get it outside my house 6 miles out of Sheffield. I was somewhere the other week (can't exactly remember)  and got 20mb/s on 3G HSDPA+. The 4G tends to be between 6mb/s and 17mb/s.

I also have recently got the black 64gb oneplus one and it has so far been fantastic.

It's incredibly fast, great screen, good battery life. In comparison to any of the major manufacturers' prices it is an amazing bargain.

There is obviously a risk in terms of support but then the only time I needed support from Samsung they were terrible, and Apple even worse for my wife.

I'm on 3 and 4g works fine on the one in Oxford.

Cheers for the info. I got my invite today, so I'm gonna go for the 64gb black one next week. I've checked 4G coverage in Nottingham on 3 and it should work fine when she's in the city centre.

I couldn't wait and have just ordered the Sandstone Black model with black flip case and paid a fiver extra for express delivery.

Does anyone that ordered from the official site know how long it takes to get to central UK?

I paid the extra fiver and ordered on the 9th of September and it was delivered on the 15th.

Should be early next week then. That'll do nicely.

I'll just have to try and bite my lip from telling her this weekend.

Replies From View

Bump!

Whilst aimlessly browsing in a phone shop last weekend ("No thanks. Just looking.") I noticed the Samsung Galaxy Alpha and was impressed to see that they've made a modern phone in the spirit of the S2.

I've mentioned before in this thread that I use an old battered S2 for work as it's small enough to keep in my pocket without getting whacked off the machinery too much. It's been dropped multiple times and even for a phone this old (2011!) it runs Kitkat without any noticeable lag.

So anyway, I'm tempted to get a Galaxy Alpha when the price drops a bit and was wondering if anyone else has one and what they think of it. I think what gave the S2 it's robustness is its light weight when dropping it and the Alpha weighs in at a gram less and is thinner, so it seems like a winner for my work situation.

NattyDread

Another bump.

Can anyone help me decide between a Lumia 640 or iPhone 5c?
My old blackberry is dying and it seems these phones are the cheapest option to offer wi-fi calling, which is essential as we have bugger all signal. Either will about double my current monthly bill, and I'll be stuck with it for 2 years at least so I want to choose the right one.
Currently leaning towards the Lumia due to the lack of memory expansion for the iPhone, but would be very interested to hear from anyone with one. Is there much difference between the cameras?
Appreciate any pointers. Cheers

Uncle TechTip

Please create new threads.