Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,464
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 03:28:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Which Smart Phone?

Started by Garfield And Friends, August 09, 2010, 08:59:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thepuffpastryhangman

Whatever else you're doing on your phone, you're holding it and looking at the screen. These factors affect your user experience 100% of the times you use it. To most everyone the OS and accompanying pluses and minuses don't matter.

What's the best free case to get?

MojoJojo

Quote from: Artemis on August 10, 2010, 10:21:00 AM
That's where I differ with critics of the iPhone in this way - to me, an 'open software' phone (or however you'd describe it) is totally irrelevant to me. I don't need to be able to chop and change it, and have no desire to do so. Far more important to me is the quality of the build, the screen, the apps and so on. In those categories, I don't see the HTC Desire as much of a competitor. It's all much of a muchness though, isn't it. If you really want to be different, don't have a phone at all.

I did almost put a comment in to that effect. If you want to fiddle, go Android, otherwise iphone (assuming the difference in cost is not an issue),
I would say that lacking widgets is a bit shit of the iphone though. I like having the weather and today's calendar entries on my homescreen. On the iphone you have to start an app up to do that. Not a massive deal, but it means you spend a few seconds fiddling with your phone instead of just glancing at it.
I suspect Apple might introduce widgets on the iphone at some point, but considering how long it took them to introduce folders, I'm not sure.

shiftwork2

Android integrates beautifully with Google mail, calendar and contacts (and all the rest of them).  A real bonus if you use those products.

Stay Puft:

If you're suggesting that 'most people are happy to adapt to and accept the phone's limitations because of the aesthetics', I've already given the thumbs up to that facile 'point'.

My suggestion is that 'for people who are willing to spend ten minutes to adapt the phone to their preference and convenience, the Android allows this - and furthermore offers many features that the iPhone doesn't'.

Both of these ideas are correct. DATS SO TEAMWORK YALL

Now, fuck off back to work, you young bastard.

Edit: To add 'you young bastard'.

Quote from: Subtle Mocking on August 09, 2010, 11:12:51 PM
After a quick bit of research, it looks unlikely to be released over here, but it looks like we could get the Desire HD.

Here is a "leaked" video of the Desire HD.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/09/htcs-4-3-inch-desire-hd-shows-up-on-video/

My contract is up for renewal at the end of this month if I wish to stay with Vodafone or in November if I want to go elsewhere. After the T-Mobile/Orange merger they will have the best 3G coverage and the fact that all Android devices come with 3gb of data per month on T-Mobile, I may hang on the extra 2 months.
I'm really tempted by the Desire HD but it is basically just a larger Desire with a slightly better camera, the big improvements will be the release of Andriod 3.0 Gingerbread and the devices that are planned to use 1.2 GHz or even 1.4 GHz processors. Motorola even claimed that a 2 GHz processor would be available in the next  8 months or so.
God, I love new mobile phones.

VegaLA

I recently got the Moto Droid X, and having come from a BB Storm 1 this is a vast improvement.
The app store is loaded and the hardware looks amazing with its large 4.3" screen. Some of the HTC Droid phones look a bit cheap and tacky but this beauty looks professional and as far as software goes Android has yet to disapoint. The new O/S Froyo 2.2 will be set free in the next month or so.
Not sure if it is available on your shores yet or indeed if it will have the same name if it does get released there but do keep your eyes open for it just in case.

Quote from: Artemis on August 10, 2010, 10:21:00 AM
That's where I differ with critics of the iPhone in this way - to me, an 'open software' phone (or however you'd describe it) is totally irrelevant to me. I don't need to be able to chop and change it, and have no desire to do so.

Just by-the-by, I'm looking to get a smart phone that is 'open' in the sense of not being unnecessarily restricted / overly sandboxed by the company. I'm not gunning for one that has linux for the sake of linux and hobbyist kernal-compiling faffing about.

Apple's (and soon enough Microsoft's) locked-down phones will suit the majority of people, but they're missing a level of configurability/exploitability for my purposes.

Steven

Yes, as I said earlier in the thread, Swype makes texting a fucking doddle, I've always hated texting because I hate writing in s2upid txt spk. But this makes it fucking easy to write normally with no effort.

If anybody has a Galaxy S, it seems you don't need to go through that shit in the guide i pasted earlier, just go into the default browser and check Plugin support. Flash does sort of work but it seems to stall after 30 seconds every time I watch youtube clips in a browser window. I think you need a rooted phone so you can install the flash plugin in the guide to the SD root there to get it to work properly, but I can't be arsed rooting my phone and voiding the warranty when Samsung are promosing an update in a month.

Chutney

May I ask a stupid Android question?  Assuming I buy an unlocked handset, there's no reason I can't get full use of it from a PAYG SIM.

Not a gadget boy, I don't know these things....

MojoJojo

You'll want some sort of unlimited internet package to get full use of it - and PAYG doesn't normally offer that. Although I think there are some options out there of the "top up £10, get free internet for the rest of the month type options".

You can turn mobile data off and just rely on wifi when you are at home and at your work if you have it. But then you won't be able to use maps or any of the snazzy features when you are out and about unless you turn on mobile data and pay for it.

Chutney

Quote from: MojoJojo on August 11, 2010, 09:18:52 AM
You'll want some sort of unlimited internet package to get full use of it - and PAYG doesn't normally offer that. Although I think there are some options out there of the "top up £10, get free internet for the rest of the month type options".

You can turn mobile data off and just rely on wifi when you are at home and at your work if you have it. But then you won't be able to use maps or any of the snazzy features when you are out and about unless you turn on mobile data and pay for it.

Thanks - I think that was pretty much what I was planning.  I'm on Virgin Mobile PAYG and I think it's 30p per day for internet use only on the days you connect, and I work from home so most days I can just rely on my home WiFi.  Hopefully just switching mobile data on on the days when I'm out and about and needing it won't mean it costs me too much more - maximum of around an extra tenner a month on those rates.  I'm a very light mobile user, so going onto a monthly contract just seems like overkill.

All sounding good for the onset of Tightarse Adnroid Use...

Neil

Quote from: MojoJojo on August 11, 2010, 09:18:52 AM

That's what I do, I'm with O2 and just have to stick a tenner in per month.  Since I was given the iPhone recently, I've no idea if the data allowance should do me all month.  I guess I'd better look it up in the options thingy which tells you all those stats.  I also get 500 text messages.  It seems I can SMS photos for free now, whereas I'm sure on my last phone (with the same PAYG contract) they would charge me 25p each time. 

I had hoped I could use the Nintendo Wi-Fi USB connector to use my iphone at home, as it was installed with hacked Buffalo drivers, but I think it's broke, so I'll have to look at a new one.  Particularly as I'm completely addicted to World War. 

thepuffpastryhangman

Want to have sex with more people? Buy an iPhone (and stay away from Android)

Quote"Finally, statistical proof that iPhone users aren't just getting f#*ed by Apple," OkCupid's Christian Rudder facetiously declared in an August 10 blog post announcing the results of the survey.

CaledonianGonzo

Useful thread this.  Think I'll dip my toe in these choppy waters with a Desire...

Just so you iBros don't think I'm being serious and throw them in the bin or something, I'm not.

Do I subconsciously think less of you for owning one, even if it were bought for you as a gift?

No. I'm simply distracting myself for a few minutues.

Spoiler alert
N.B. You suck.
[close]

CaledonianGonzo

Tarriff caps. 

Vodafone only seem to offer a 1Gb maximum.  Anywhere near enough or plenty with oodles to spare?

thepuffpastryhangman

Movies and music aside, it's plenty to use your phone online from fully charged to flat everyday. I think.

thepuffpastryhangman

Oh, and some stuff, like the Guardian app, you can load up at home for viewing later.

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: thepuffpastryhangman on August 12, 2010, 06:52:08 PM
Oh, and some stuff, like the Guardian app, you can load up at home for viewing later.

Ta.

Oh, and speaking of apps, by plumping for a non-iPhone, do I limit myself to speciality Android-only apps, or can I just merrily grab away at any old app that takes my fancy - like, fr'instance, The Guardian one?

Apologies for novice questions.  I am a novice.

MojoJojo

You'll only be able to use Android apps on an Android phone. And Iphone can only use iphone apps, which at the moment is a pretty big win for the apple device.

There are a few unofficial Guardian apps on the Android market, which get good reviews.

shiftwork2

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on August 12, 2010, 06:46:31 PM
Tarriff caps. 

Vodafone only seem to offer a 1Gb maximum.  Anywhere near enough or plenty with oodles to spare?

It's plenty provided you don't hit youtube often.  I find I use 300 Mb per month.

This may increase now though as with Froyo (Android 2.2) I can use the phone as a wi-fi hot spot, so I use it in place of a dongle for my laptop.  Sweet little feature that you won't be seeing on the iPhone anytime soon.

Artemis

Quick question for those who might know... if I buy an unlocked phone (e.g. an unlock iPhone from Apple), can I go outside of the EU, stick a (micro)SIM from a different country in it and use it without restriction?

greencalx

Does anyone know of anywhere one can try out, say, an HTC Desire and iPhone 4 side by side.  I know various things about how the OSes compare, other than what they are actually like to use in practice.

no_offenc

Had my Samsung for two days now and I'm rather enjoying Android a lot. The whole experience is about 500000x nicer than S60 v5 and I'm shocked I didn't jump ship sooner to be honest.

falafel

Fuck Apple, seriously. Just had my iPhone update screw up and on restoring my settings have lost all my apps which means I will have to sort all that shit out again. This has happened one too many times. Everyone - GO ANDROID. For your own sanity. I'm happy to stay in the cult of iPhone until my contract expires next year, but no longer than that. Don't get an iPhone if you like the idea of plugging your phone in to drop an extra five or six tracks on for the commute in the morning. Not unless you want to be two hours late for work. iTunes proves the existence of Satan.

chocky909

Yup. I got charged for downloading something I'd already paid for for iTunes but deleted due to the shitness of it all. They charged me and even when I spoke to them they said that was just tough and I shouldn't have deleted it. I really hate the Apple CS from all my experiences with them.

Artemis

I've never been charged for anything I've already paid for from the app store. Weird.

chocky909

It was some Adam & Joe videos which I somehow lost so downloaded again thinking it would be fine. After I got the invoice I emailed CS and they told me off but refunded me. Then I somehow managed to download them again and get charged again and they told me it was tough shit.