Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:58:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Which Smart Phone?

Started by Garfield And Friends, August 09, 2010, 08:59:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SetToStun

Quote from: chocky909 on December 15, 2013, 11:59:56 PM
I thought that until I found an offer for 6gb of data each month, unl mins, unl txt and an HTC One for £34 a month (2 year contract). 4G is great and I get a great reception at work. Obviously the value of the contract depends how quickly the average 4G deal price drops over the next 24 months but currently I'm enjoying being able to stream 1080p video and create wifi hotspots for my friends in return for sexual favours.

Ye gods, man - spill the beans! Who on Earth is giving you that deal?!

Quote from: MojoJojo on December 14, 2013, 10:54:06 PM
So if you don't care about the apps, Windows is a good choice. Just not for most of the things you mentioned.

Well no, they are good choices for the things I mentioned - just because Android also does it, doesn't mean Windows Phone is out of the running. If you don't mind or are already using Google's Cloud storage services/email/calendar etc. then sure, there'd be no point in you getting a Windows Phone. But if, like me and 90% of the world, you use Windows on your PC then that instant synchronisation might be worth going for.

Quote from: Waking Life on December 14, 2013, 03:44:40 PM
I've found Google Maps invaluable when I'm abroad. It uses the satellite for locations, but I've never been charged much/anything in the way of data. It works without roaming data certainly.

Google Maps isn't data intensive but it certainly will eventually cost you a fortune if you use it in a foreign land over 3G - it can only be connecting to the internet via 3G, right? Unless Google are connecting to the map service for free on international networks, but that seems unlikely. I don't see how its possible that you're using it without roaming data.

MojoJojo

Quote from: The Region Legion on December 16, 2013, 03:21:13 PM
Well no, they are good choices for the things I mentioned - just because Android also does it, doesn't mean Windows Phone is out of the running. If you don't mind or are already using Google's Cloud storage services/email/calendar etc. then sure, there'd be no point in you getting a Windows Phone. But if, like me and 90% of the world, you use Windows on your PC then that instant synchronisation might be worth going for.
Sorry, yes. What I meant was that they were not reasons to choose Windows Phone over Android. I'm not sure what that 90% figure is about - googles stuff runs on Windows too, you know, and I thought google's cloudy offerings were more popular than MSs - but I don't have anything to back that up with.

Google Maps isn't data intensive but it certainly will eventually cost you a fortune if you use it in a foreign land over 3G - it can only be connecting to the internet via 3G, right? Unless Google are connecting to the map service for free on international networks, but that seems unlikely. I don't see how its possible that you're using it without roaming data.

You can get google maps to download and cache data while you're on wifi at home, so it's technically possible but when I tried it it was a slightly cumbersome process and I don't think I'd trust it for travelling to another country.

chocky909

Quote from: SetToStun on December 16, 2013, 03:06:28 PM
Ye gods, man - spill the beans! Who on Earth is giving you that deal?!

That offer's gone but if you pay £29 for the phone, the rest is there. On Carphone Warehouse, Vodafone. Code 18791323

SetToStun

Vodafone? Arsebiscuits - I will never use that shower of shite again. Oh well, back to looking around, then. Thanks anyway, old chap.

Waking Life

Quote from: The Region Legion on December 16, 2013, 03:21:13 PM

I made a slight mistake - it was actually the TripAdvisor apps I've been using, which have similar maps. These are downloaded as part of the app, with points of interest pre-loaded. Works the same as Google.

GPS and mobile data are not the same though. Yes, they both use the satellite medium, but I definitely don't get charged significant data costs - been to a few European place this year - for it giving me my location on the TripAdvisor maps. It doesn't use the Internet for a basic GPS location. Certainly works with the roaming restrictions on. Admittedly, I was initially surprised by this, but presumably this is part of mobile network's roaming agreement with the other host providers. Locations are also something the companies seem keen on gathering and collating.

Feel free to disbelieve me, but I'd recommend trying it out. You could try turning mobile data off - but ensuring GPS is still on - and using Google Maps. It picks up my current location at the moment, although perhaps that's residual.

Could also be that I'm not checking my bills closely, but despite extensive use in two cities, I've not noticed any change to my monthly payments. It also seems odd that the roaming option wouldn't disable it if it was high cost.

falafel

GPS has nothing to do with data though. Any gps device just interprets regular signals coming from a particular array of satellites and triangulates your position based on the signals. Your device never transmits anything, it just interprets a signal that is freely accessible.

Ronnie the Raincoat

Quote from: Beagle 2 on August 20, 2013, 03:56:53 PM
Right, well I've ordered a Samsung S4 on 3, the unlimited one with tethering for £33 a month (plus VAT I imagine). Really sad to leave giffgaff and would recommend them to anyone, but I couldn't go on with this heap of junk.

How are you finding this?  I want to get the same deal but am torn between this and the HTC One, and the LG L2.

Waking Life

Quote from: falafel on December 25, 2013, 10:08:13 AM
GPS has nothing to do with data though. Any gps device just interprets regular signals coming from a particular array of satellites and triangulates your position based on the signals. Your device never transmits anything, it just interprets a signal that is freely accessible.

That's what I had thought, but started to doubt myself after reading some of the posts.

SetToStun

Well, I've just ordered an LG G2, based on at least a few seconds of research. I will report back once I've picked it up and had a play. Anyone had an LG and want to tell me I've made a disastrous choice?

Neville Chamberlain

I had an LG telly and it was fucking brilliant. Let me tell you, it did a sterling job as a telly.

MojoJojo

Quote from: falafel on December 25, 2013, 10:08:13 AM

Most mobile phones use Assisted GPS nowadays - basically asking the local base station roughly where they are to speed up getting the GPS fix. I have no idea whether this data is charged for, since it's not a regular data request, but in any case it will be a tiny amount of data.

The discussion was about the maps though - google maps downloads the maps as you go, which can get expensive quickly in foreign parts. Whereas TomTom and the Nokia one keep all the maps on your phone so you don't need to download anything while you're out and about.

SetToStun

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on January 13, 2014, 02:21:27 PMI had an LG telly and it was fucking brilliant. Let me tell you, it did a sterling job as a telly.

I really, really wanted an LG telly a few years ago but everyone round my way had run out and I needed a telly that day. Bah! Actually, thinking about it, are you taunting me, Nev? Are you mocking me for failing in my LG quest?

Neville Chamberlain

Yes, Stunners, I personally bought up every single LG telly in Whatitsface-on-Sea or wherever the heck it is you live!

SetToStun

I thought as much. And I'd applaud you roundly, but I've spent all my karma for the day. Mr Eggs is such a hard taskmaster, you see.

mcbpete

Is Cyanogenmod still the best alternative rom to bung on phones? My galaxy s3 (i9300) is becoming increasingly sluggish so I'm planning on doing a factory reset - so was thinking, if I do that I might as well root & flash it at the same time.

Back in my HTC Desire days Cyanogenmod was pretty much the only option but there seems to be a shit tonne of options nowadays. So yeah, shall I wait for a stable Cyanogen v11 build or is there something better out there (I've read a lot of politics going on in that company especially with their move to becoming Cyanogenmod Inc that have had a negative effect on the rom builds)

jutl

Quote from: MojoJojo on January 13, 2014, 02:39:17 PM
Most mobile phones use Assisted GPS nowadays - basically asking the local base station roughly where they are to speed up getting the GPS fix. I have no idea whether this data is charged for, since it's not a regular data request, but in any case it will be a tiny amount of data.

AGPS uses wifi and mobile data, in that it samples the SSIDs and MAC addresses of local wireless network base stations, as well as ID of mobile towers you can see,  then sends these over the mobile data connection to Apple/Google/Whoever-provides-your-non-GPS-location-service. The reply you get tells you approximately where you are and is based on maps held by Google etc of where wifi base stations and mobile towers are located. The latter part would be chargeable like any other data over mobile.

chocky909

Quote from: mcbpete on January 20, 2014, 12:27:27 PM
Is Cyanogenmod still the best alternative rom to bung on phones? My galaxy s3 (i9300) is becoming increasingly sluggish so I'm planning on doing a factory reset - so was thinking, if I do that I might as well root & flash it at the same time.

Back in my HTC Desire days Cyanogenmod was pretty much the only option but there seems to be a shit tonne of options nowadays. So yeah, shall I wait for a stable Cyanogen v11 build or is there something better out there (I've read a lot of politics going on in that company especially with their move to becoming Cyanogenmod Inc that have had a negative effect on the rom builds)

Me too. I've got an old galaxy s2 which I'm giving to my little brother and I'd like to set it up as best I can for him.

SetToStun

Quote from: SetToStun on January 13, 2014, 02:14:41 PM
Well, I've just ordered an LG G2, based on at least a few seconds of research. I will report back once I've picked it up and had a play. Anyone had an LG and want to tell me I've made a disastrous choice?

Well, I picked up the 'phone on Saturday, but it didn't have the required micro usim[nb]Whatever the Hell one of those is[/nb] with it, so no play for me until the usim arrives in the post. Bah! I suspect Nev continues his anti-me-getting-any-LG-kit campaign. Nev, I'm looking at you in a stern manner. Be warned.

SetToStun

Right, I've had the LG G2 for a while now, so I have a few initial impressions. It's light, slim and a good size for a smartphone, having a 5.2" 1080p full HD screen. There are no buttons on the front or side of the 'phone - you wake it up either by double-tapping the screen (same procedure to lock when you're done), or by using the rear-mounted power button. There is also a pair of multi-function up-down buttons on the rear of the 'phone and they don't seem to ever get in the way. It's got a quick processor (2.26GHz Quad Core) and 2GB RAM, so it's pretty swift, too. Sound quality on calls is great and the 4G speed is pretty amazing (informal test downloading a game averaged at about 2MB per second in the middle of London - apparently it's going to get a lot faster in the near future). My last 'phone (Galaxy Nexus) had an AMOLED screen and this one is a least as good, plus it has genuine Gorilla Glass. The battery life is astonishing - playing Angry Birds Go for twenty minutes yesterday evening used about three percent of the battery, whereas on my old 'phone it would have been more like twenty or so per cent.

Since it has no removeable storage, I wouldn't recommend the 16GB version to a music lover, and the battery is not removeable (the case doesn't open at all, in fact), but those are the only real downsides.

The drag-down status screen is a bit busy, but it's easy to adapt to, and when you select 'phone mode, it defaults to dialler rather than contacts, but I'm sure that'll be customisable - I just need to look up how.

As for he contract, it's £27 a month for the airtime part, which gets me unlimited calls and texts plus 8GB data. The 'phone part is £15 per month (I paid £69.99 up front), which means I'm paying £429.99 for a 'phone which had a list price - when I bought it - of about £580.

Anyway, if you don't need removable storage, it's a great 'phone. Since - like just about all smartphones - you can charge it from anything with a USB socket and the battery life is pretty astounding, the lack of a removable battery isn't such a problem.

I summary, I love it.

Subtle Mocking

Well, I'm due an upgrade on my Galaxy S3, and I was waiting until the announcement of the S5 which took place last night. Not only does it not look like that much of an improvement over the S4, but one thing that really irks me is that they've made the ruddy thing bigger again. The Galaxy series seems to be moving closer and closer to Note-size territory, and it's still got a bit of an ugly OS on top of it. The current HTC One is about the limit in terms of what size I'd want to move to, but I'm contemplating moving from Android entirely, possibly to iOS.

My one criteria is that it needs to be able to store 64gb, either through on-board capacity or expandable storage. I carry a lot of music around and I'm not prepared to start carrying around an iPod again. Any help?

Buy a Sansa Clip Plus. You can get one for thirty quid. Sounds better than an iPod, it's tiny, can Rockbox it and it's solid as fuck. Also no iTunes!

Subtle Mocking

Aye, but there's still probably not enough storage on there for me and if I can, I'd much rather avoid carrying two devices. Right now I'm between:

a) Nexus 5 and OTG MicroSD such as Meenova
b) Waiting for the HTC mate to see if it supports MicroSD
c) iPhone 64gb

biggytitbo

For £130 the Motorola Moto G is amazing. Very tempted as it'd be nice to have an android phone for devving and it's got to be the best value phone ever made http://www.trustedreviews.com/motorola-moto-g_Mobile-Phone_review

AsparagusTrevor

My wife has the Moto G, it's really astoundingly good for the price. Mediocre camera and only 16gb storage, but it's so very nippy and the screen is high-end.

I've just ordered a Note 3 clone (snide/rip off/ fake) for £135 incl delivery. I kinda needed the larger screen but didn't want to carry a tablet around with me at work. The reviews look quite good and being a 1:1 clone all the cases and screen protectors will fit.

Famous Mortimer

Tell me more of this cloning, Kenneth. Tell me of build qualities and risks, if you will.

They are basically fake phones. Some have specs very close to the genuine models but you get what you pay for/need.
Some are similar to the original phone in terms of size, e.g. there is a Note 3 clone that has a 6" screen instead of 5.7" which is OK but non of the accessories will fit it.
I've gone for one of these being 1:1 and plenty fast enough for my needs:
http://youtu.be/ygqk-wSi6E0

Here is the XDA thread
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2554192

From what I can gather, the down sides are some fake specs. The model I have ordered claims (in the "about phone" menu in android) to have 2gb of ram and 16gb rom when in reality it's 1.2 and 8 respectively. Also some of the features don't work or are an approximation to the feature on the original. Smart Scroll doesn't work at all and multi windows is limited compared to the original. However there seems to be a healthy dev community that has fixed some of these problems with roms. For me though the 4.3 OS seems to do everything that I'd want from a phone but at 1/4 of the price.

Have a read through that thread linked to and see what you think.

imitationleather

Yesterday I dropped my Samsung Galaxy s3 while I was having a shit and cracked the screen. It's not that bad and I can still use it, but it's got me proper in the mood for the upgrade I'm due in three months. I'm a bit gutted this phone is no longer sellable, though. What a doughnut I am.

Anyway, the HTC One mate, despite having a name which implies I've only one friend, is what's ringing my bell at the moment. Apparently the camera isn't as good as others but to be honest I rarely use my camera, I'm far more about the internet and apps. I like the idea of it being almost completely metal, as my main complaint with my Galaxy has been that it's plastic case makes it feel a bit slight. I was considering the s5, but it seems so similar to my current phone that I reckon I'd like to try something different now.

Any other up-to-date recommendations?

Cleaners From Venus

I very nearly opted for a Sony Xperia 2 when my contract was up for renewal, but decided to save my cash and stick with a SIM only deal for 12 months. I've also got an S3, but just feel like I'd be upgrading for upgrading's sake at the moment.