Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 10:07:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Help get this film seen! (The Invisible Circus thread)

Started by Santa's Boyfriend, August 10, 2010, 03:51:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Santa's Boyfriend

This is primarily for Bristol and Westcountry whores, but you should all have the opportunity to see this.

Invisible Circus started in 2006 in an abandoned car showroom (The Audi Garage), taken over by squatters and turned into a community arts space.  They held art shows and accoustic evenings, and before getting evicted put on a major arts/theatre/musical event spread across all four floors of the building.  They went on to occupy another building and did the same there, gradually building a reputation in the community for knowing how to put on a show.  Over the years that followed they became a legitimate company, taking over an abandoned police station and putting on increasingly audacious shows with increasingly audacious budgets (including a heavy metal panto last christmas). 

They've become legendary in Bristol now, and their tickets go very quickly.  It's been amazing to watch them grow, even though I haven't been to most of their bigger shows I remember going to their first accoustic evening and realising there was something very special in what they were doing.

It turns out that for the entire time they've been around, a girl called Naomi Smyth has been filming them.  Now she's put a feature length documentary together about them, the trailer for which you can see here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzPk72f3v40

Now they're trying to get the film to have its premiere in the Watershed in Bristol (the main arts venue), but they need to prove to the Watershed that people would come to see it.  As such they're asking for signatures on a petition to prove there is a market for this film.  I should say I have nothing to do with Invisible Circus myself, but I have tremendous respect for them and I would really like to see the film in the Watershed - it would be such a wonderful thing, and should prove to other cinemas that there is a market for this film.  So if you live in the westcountry and want to see it, please do sign this petition!

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/invisiblecircusfilm/

Ignatius_S

A very worthwhile post! I suspect the petition will do nowt, as there would be quite a few bums on seats, but it's not really how the Watershed gets its films in.

Incidentally, Naomi very much involved with Invisible Circus - she just hasn't been working on the documentary.

Santa's Boyfriend

Oh right, didn't realise Naomi was fully in there.  But then from the look of the doc footage I guess you'd have to be.

I'm really looking forward to seeing this documentary.  If it doesn't get in there I'm sure they'll show it at the Cube, but it would be nice to see it at the Watershed.

Come on people, watch the footage, I'm curious to know what people think of it!

Ignatius_S

I think the original place was just to do the documentary, but it didn't work out like that!

At the weekend, I was chatting to one of my mates who's involved with them (and probably got involved with Naomi) and he said that The Watershed wanted at least 500 people signing. I see that there are 83 signatories at the moment and if I push the boat out, sure I can get that up to 89... halfway there!

Santa's Boyfriend

Santa's Boyfriend

By the way, the tickets for Carney-Ville in October have just gone on sale.  It's over 10 days or so and it's £22 per ticket.  The shows are always amazing, it's well worth it.

Space ghost

Quote from: Santa's Boyfriend on August 24, 2010, 11:51:13 PM
?

Invisible circus are heavily involved in the underground party scene ( aka the r4ve scene ) and put on shows at lots of dance music orientated festivals and events.

I was being flippant cos I thought you'd already know that.

Santa's Boyfriend

Ah!  No, I didn't know that.  Will have to go into the Redcliffe Caves next time there's a party down there.