Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,583,385
  • Total Topics: 106,741
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 03:29:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Video nasties

Started by Nelson Swillie, August 10, 2010, 05:04:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Colossal

Quote from: mcbpete on August 13, 2010, 06:54:49 PM
Definitely - VHS are completely the perfect medium for which video nasties should be played. Missed opportunity there ....

Wasnt the betamax more commonly lauded as the more 'video nasty friendly' format? My uncle still has one with I spit on your grave and my bloody valentine and a whole host of others which have only just been released in recent years, or does it just seem that way because these were the films that were doing the rounds when the thing became extinct?

remedial_gash

Quote from: JPA on August 10, 2010, 08:09:27 PM
Have you heard about 'A Serbian Film'? That sounds pretty nasty, can't see that ever getting an uncut release given some of the content in it.

No, it will pose a massive problem to the BBFC, but probably not because of its most infamous scene, which isn't remotely graphic. It's a horrid vision, but doesn't show anything explicitly.

The rest of it is a different bag of onions.

I saw it a few weeks ago; there is a well seeded screener at a certain satanic sounding torrent site... and if you have any interest in seeing it, that's probably your best bet - though I think it's being shown at 'Frightfest'.

There's far too much hyperbole condemning it on the interwebs, and whilst I think that it's a decent exploitation flick, I don't really wish to add to the debate, and feel that is best seen with as little knowledge of it as possible.

Personally, I think that it has a jet black (what is jet?) core of comedy, there are some flashes of very dark humour, and whilst it's a grim, nihilistic film, I think it's an entirely justified reaction to outward perceptions of the Balkans.

Gash
x

AsparagusTrevor

Yeah I watched it a few weeks ago too, that screener copy doing the rounds. I agree, it wouldn't get an uncut release her because pretty much all the sex scenes have violence, and most of the violence is sex-related, always a problem for the BBFC. The 'infamous scene' is more shocking in concept than execution, although it was by no means a laugh to watch. That scene in particular was lessened in impact for me because I just kept thinking of Adam & Joe's Goitre.

I've always had a morbid curiosity for these things, I've hunted out most of the video nasties, and plenty of more modern movies. Most of the official video nasties are badly made, low visibility shite, although there are a few gems (Evil Dead etc) in there and a few unfairly and necessarily lumped with the rest of them.

Also, the newer stuff like Murder Set Pieces (fucking awful), Grotesque (fucking stupid), August Underground (fucking grainy), Nekromantik (fucking corpses) etc. Some have worse reputations than their content. The two Nekromantik films for example are the probably the dullest films I've ever seen.

remedial_gash

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on August 20, 2010, 10:21:01 AM
Also, the newer stuff like Murder Set Pieces (fucking awful), Grotesque (fucking stupid), August Underground (fucking grainy), Nekromantik (fucking corpses) etc. Some have worse reputations than their content. The two Nekromantik films for example are the probably the dullest films I've ever seen.

'Murder Set Pieces' is awful, as are the 'August Underground' trilogy - for me it's the awful grinding metal music that seems to accompany these films, I like horror and I like metal , but I don't want horror made by people that look like metallers... it's too obvious.

I tolerated Nekromantik - some of the effects are decent but #2 and 'der todesking' are unwatchably dull. Buttgereit is a pretentious ass-hat, 68 minutes can seem like a lifetime in his company.

I've really come to loathe 'new-wave gore', is that even a genre? So that's why I felt 'Srpski film'  an admirable change of pace. It looks beautiful for a start and maybe because it's subtitled the acting seems sublime. Milos is very believable, and the 'director' is a wonderful pantomime dame, tearing up the scenery at every opportunity.

Bloody hell, I've just convinced myself that I love the film. /idiot

Gash
x

madhair60

Just Wiki'd that Serbian Film.

Fuckin' hell!

How can that possibly be... well, legal?  Jesus, I thought Mordum was bad.

remedial_gash

Quote from: madhair60 on August 20, 2010, 11:45:43 AM
Just Wiki'd that Serbian Film.

Fuckin' hell!

How can that possibly be... well, legal?  Jesus, I thought Mordum was bad.

Try watching it man, ignore the bullshit hype.

For example : Crazy weird guy lures kids and their families into a fantastical world of sweets, the children die one by one in grotesque ways. everyone loses - or do they?

Gash
x

remedial_gash

If anyone who wants to see the film reads this, please don't wiki it - it gives a very dry synopsis of the entire film.

All spoilers are included.

Don't fucking do it.

Gash
x

madhair60

Yeah, definitely don't wiki it, bad idea for many reasons.