Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:45:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Amusing Wikipedia Stuff [split topic]

Started by dr_christian_troy, July 25, 2010, 11:46:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: gilbertharding on July 22, 2019, 12:05:47 PMThe less/fewer and hanged... I mean, I know the difference, and agree there's right and wrong (although it's 'hung, drawn and quartered,' for some reason).

Just a guess, is it because the hanging isn't completed before they're cut down?

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: gilbertharding on July 22, 2019, 12:05:47 PM
it's 'hung, drawn and quartered,' for some reason

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on July 22, 2019, 08:59:06 PM
Just a guess, is it because the hanging isn't completed before they're cut down?

my understanding of this deliberate distinction between 'hung' & 'hanged' when it's being done to a wrong 'un, is that in the former case, the hanging-up is part of a much longer & publicly humiliating process of being done away with, & death is probably not going to occur as a direct result of the hanging-up part- it's for display purposes. whereas the latter- they deliberately put the rope around your neck & drop you so that you're dead fairly briskly, at least that's the general idea. the exact opposite of the HDQ approach, which (I gather) could go on for hours or days sometimes.

there. some believable but totally un-wiki original research that I could probably find citations for but I genuinely can't be arsed any more.

kalowski

Hanged was probably the old old inflection (once upon a time people said "sanged" instead of "sung" too). There's a theory that hanged continued when language shifted to hung because judges relied on old, formal language for sentences.
If this is true, perhaps the sentence of H,D&Q was a relatively new one.

hillbillyholiday

It is hanged, drawn and quartered!

It is now

and it was then

Quote"That you be led to the place from whence you came, and from thence be drawn upon a hurdle to the place of execution, and then you shall be hanged by the neck and, being alive, shall be cut down, and your privy members to be cut off, and your entrails be taken out of your body and, you living, the same to be burnt before your eyes, and your head to be cut off, your body to be divided into four quarters, and head and quarters to be disposed of at the pleasure of the King's majesty"

Pictures are hung, men are hang'd.
It's just one of those weird things you get in English, like never seeing crannies without accompanying nooks.

kalowski

Quote from: hillbillyholiday on July 23, 2019, 01:17:34 PM
"That you be led to the place from whence you came, and from thence be drawn upon a hurdle to the place of execution, and then you shall be hanged by the neck and, being alive, shall be cut down, and your privy members to be cut off, and your entrails be taken out of your body and, you living, the same to be burnt before your eyes, and your head to be cut off, your body to be divided into four quarters, and head and quarters to be disposed of at the pleasure of the King's majesty"
I've had worse.

hillbillyholiday

Quote from: hillbillyholiday on July 23, 2019, 01:17:34 PM

Pictures are hung, men are hang'd.

I should clarify, hanged typically applies to necks, hung for willies.
Although if you were unfortuate enough to be suspended by your willy 'til death, that would be hanged.

a duncandisorderly

hillbillyholiday

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on July 23, 2019, 09:40:29 PM
oh. cheers!

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/hung-or-hanged

Vaguely diverting article if you're interested

I wish the OED had put their content online in the late nineties and tried to monetize it later.
They too were originally crowdsourced (their most prolific volunteer was W.C. Minor, an inmate of Broadmoor who chopped his own penis off), but it had the advantage of being edited by experts.

Wiktionary and Wikipedia have to some extent filled the gap, despite the WP:NOTDIC dogma...

Sorry to wander off topic.  Here's my old userpage if they haven't already deleted it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Hillbillyholiday#FREE_GIRAFFE

:^)

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: hillbillyholiday on July 23, 2019, 10:50:30 PM
Sorry to wander off topic.  Here's my old userpage if they haven't already deleted it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Hillbillyholiday#FREE_GIRAFFE

"I'm glad that the stereotype of Wiki editors as pompous, sanctimonious, power-drunk jobsworth arseholes actively blocking having entries improved and corrected if the requisite forms haven't been filled out in triplicate in exactly the right shade of blue ink between 2.16pm and 2.23pm on a Tuesday has turned out to be a myth."

I hear ya.  also- is that zabriskie point or thereabouts in that pic?

our back catalogue crazily-priced by the river people:

FredNurke

Quote from: hillbillyholiday on July 23, 2019, 10:50:30 PM
I wish the OED had put their content online in the late nineties and tried to monetize it later.
They too were originally crowdsourced (their most prolific volunteer was W.C. Minor, an inmate of Broadmoor who chopped his own penis off), but it had the advantage of being edited by experts.

If you're in the UK and have a library card, the odds are you can access OED.com for free via your library's subscription. The website actually went live in (I think) 2000, and was a major project in its own right - but not as major as the ongoing revision of the text, which began in the 1990s and is now at around the 50% mark.

In this instance, OED's entry for HANG v. hasn't yet been revised, so the text is pretty much the same as what was published in 1898. At the relevant sense, there's a note which reads 'In this sense, hanged is now the specific form of the past tense and past participle; though hung is used by some, esp. in the south of England.' The distinction between the two doesn't seem to have been quite as rigid then as it is now.

hillbillyholiday

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on July 23, 2019, 11:17:13 PM
"I'm glad that the stereotype of Wiki editors as pompous, sanctimonious, power-drunk jobsworth arseholes actively blocking having entries improved and corrected if the requisite forms haven't been filled out in triplicate in exactly the right shade of blue ink between 2.16pm and 2.23pm on a Tuesday has turned out to be a myth."

That was Stu Campbell of Wings/Amiga Power fame.
He got blocked after trying to get his biography deleted because someone kept redirecting it to an article about a child murderer.

His unblock request was rather more succint than mine: https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=User_talk:174.120.248.18&oldid=369490689

Quoteis that zabriskie point or thereabouts in that pic?
This one?

QuoteThe Hidden Valley (bottom left), in the Southern Negev, in the background the Jordan Valley and Jordania. The red sign marks the hiking trail.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: hillbillyholiday on July 23, 2019, 11:31:33 PM
His unblock request was rather more succint than mine[/url]

nice. yes, that pic.... completely different place, then.... same colours, same sort of landscape, makes me wish I could fly through it, & eat mice & whatever else big birds find to eat in the desert.

purlieu

I love the inverted commas around adult.

popcorn

Looked up The Truth About Cats & Dogs on Wikipedia after Ballad Berkley mentioned it in another thread.

QuoteThe Truth About Cats & Dogs is a 1996 American romantic comedy film directed by Michael Lehmann, starring Janeane Garofalo, Uma Thurman, Ben Chaplin and Jamie Foxx, and written by Audrey Wells. The original music score was composed by Howard Shore. The film is a romantic comedy where two women date the same man, resulting in large explosions in their friendship.

Kablammo!

Jerzy Bondov

Was just reading about Janeway off of Star Trek Voyager:
QuoteIn 2018, The Gamer ranked Janeway as one of the top fifteen starship captains of the Star Trek franchise.[26]
Not bad

kalowski

Did you know there was a sequel to The Jerk?

QuoteThe Jerk, Too was produced, but not written, by Steve Martin.

dr_christian_troy

Quote from: kalowski on August 13, 2019, 09:53:44 PM
Did you know there was a sequel to The Jerk?

I have it on DVD (as a a cheapo Double Bill with the first film). I'm terrified to watch it.

NoSleep

The whole film's on youtube. Fucking hell (just watched the titles and five seconds of the film).

kalowski

Quote from: NoSleep on August 14, 2019, 03:48:33 PM
The whole film's on youtube. Fucking hell (just watched the titles and five seconds of the film).
Jesus. So did I...

MojoJojo

Baked beans:
Flatulence
Baked beans are known on occasion to cause a considerable increase in flatulence following consumption;[18][19] this is due to the fermentation of polysaccharides (specifically oligosaccharides) by gut flora, specifically Methanobrevibacter smithii. The oligosaccharides pass through the small intestine largely unchanged; when they reach the large intestine, bacteria feast on them, producing copious amounts of flatus.[20]

This condition is referenced in multiple works of popular culture. Some prominent examples include:

The campfire scene in Mel Brooks's film Blazing Saddles,[21] in which the cowboys' banter is punctuated by fusillades of flatulence
The children's song "Beans, Beans, the Musical Fruit"/"Beans, Beans, Good for the Heart", which carries the refrain "The more you eat, the more you [toot/fart]".

Ferris

The country singer who was on Nathan for You has an article that reads like it was written by an alien or that neural network thing.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lauren-Ashley

QuoteMusical style and influences   

Lauren-Ashley's musical influences include Miranda Lambert, Stevie Nicks, Jason Aldean, and Eric Church.[1] Also influenced by Carrie Underwood, her work is characterized by country vocals and music with a rock edge.[4] As far as song-writing, all of Lauren-Ashley's EP tracks are originals.[3] In the same manner of artists such as Johnny Cash and Kris Kristofferson, Lauren-Ashley writes songs about whatever is happening in life at the moment.[6]

Stage performances and public image   

In Lauren-Ashley's career thus far, she has received mostly positive reception. Audiences seem to enjoy the amount of energy in her performances.[6]

Dr Rock

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Rees-Mogg

QuotePersonal life
In 1964 Rees-Mogg purchased Ston Easton Park near Bath, Somerset, the former home of the Hippisley family. The house had been threatened with demolition and Rees-Mogg partially restored it. He sold the house to the Smedley family in 1978.

That's all there is in 'Personal life' apart from the names of his children. Who the Hippisley and Smedley families are is not mentioned elsewhere.

a duncandisorderly

QuoteFlatulence
Baked beans are known on occasion to cause a considerable increase in flatulence following consumption;[18][19] this is due to the fermentation of polysaccharides (specifically oligosaccharides) by gut flora, specifically Methanobrevibacter smithii. The oligosaccharides pass through the small intestine largely unchanged; when they reach the large intestine, bacteria feast on them, producing copious amounts of flatus.[20]

This condition is referenced in multiple works of popular culture. Some prominent examples include:

The campfire scene in Mel Brooks's film Blazing Saddles,[21] in which the cowboys' banter is punctuated by fusillades of flatulence
The children's song "Beans, Beans, the Musical Fruit"/"Beans, Beans, Good for the Heart", which carries the refrain "The more you eat, the more you [toot/fart]".

In 1964 Rees-Mogg purchased Ston Easton Park near Bath, Somerset, the former home of the Hippisley family. The house had been threatened with demolition and Rees-Mogg partially restored it. He sold the house to the Smedley family in 1978.

hmmm....

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: WikipediaAlso featuring on Tomorrow's World, the network's science programme, he once famously claimed that the CD was indestructible; he demonstrated this by spreading strawberry jam on a copy of the Bee Gees' Living Eyes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kieran_Prendiville

phes

QuoteOn September 15, 2013, Vanilla Ice performed at the halftime show of a Houston Texans game. Houston went on to lose the remaining fourteen games of the season, leading some players to blame Vanilla Ice for the losing streak.[97

Vanilla Ice has a splendidly comprehensive career history section

marquis_de_sad

From the biography of 18th century writer and politician Richard Steele:

QuoteSteele remained in Carmarthen after his wife Mary's death, and was buried there, at St Peter's Church. During restoration of the church in 2000, his skull was discovered in a lead casket, having previously been accidentally disinterred during the 1870s.