Author Topic: Amusing Wikipedia Stuff [split topic]  (Read 137526 times)

FerriswheelBueller

• Golden Todger or
  • Silver Member
  • ...and I really do mean that.
    • I am antsy for baseball in the off-season.
Re: Amusing Wikipedia Stuff [split topic]
« Reply #1050 on: December 20, 2019, 01:35:45 PM »
On medieval Welsh tome, the Red Book of Hergest

According to scholar Daniel Huws, it is "by far the heaviest of the medieval books in Welsh, the largest in its dimensions...and the thickest"

Something about the ellipsis and the fact that this is considered a scholarly proclamation really made me laugh.

Famous Mortimer

• War - it's fantastic!
    • International Syndicate of Cult Film Critics
« Reply #1051 on: December 20, 2019, 03:46:11 PM »
More a Wiki than Wikipedia, but I thought it was funny that

https://theultimatesidemen.fandom.com/wiki/2017_Sidemen_War

uses more words to describe a bit of a laugh between Youtube-star mates than many of the world's most famous short stories, for instance Edgar Allen Poe's "The Telltale Heart" (2683 words to 2093).

buttgammon

• How thick is wall?
« Reply #1052 on: December 20, 2019, 03:52:47 PM »
On medieval Welsh tome, the Red Book of Hergest

Something about the ellipsis and the fact that this is considered a scholarly proclamation really made me laugh.

"The largest Communist Party in the world and in my opinion, the best."

gib

• weak and wobbly
« Reply #1053 on: January 30, 2020, 11:36:55 PM »
looked up Sian Webber after seeing her in a thing

Within an episode of Holby City broadcast in 2013, Webber played a gameskeeper that had been impaled by an antler. The episode emphasised the message that a shot deer should never be approached from the front.

alan nagsworth

• spirit creature not wearing the shape of a man
« Reply #1054 on: January 30, 2020, 11:47:41 PM »
Philippe Petit, the dude who did the high-wire walk between the twin towers in 1974, reflecting on 9/11:

He wrote that on that morning, "My towers became our towers. I saw them collapse – hurling, crushing thousands of lives. Disbelief preceded sorrow for the obliteration of the buildings, perplexity descended before rage at the unbearable loss of life."[15] Petit paid tribute to those who were killed and supported rebuilding the towers, promising that "When the towers again twin-tickle the clouds, I offer to walk again, to be the expression of the builders' collective voice. Together, we will rejoice in an aerial song of victory." [15] A different complex of buildings has been developed on the site, and does not offer this opportunity.

Fucking love the bluntness of that total factual smackdown after Petit's pretentious romantic dogshit.

FerriswheelBueller

• Golden Todger or
  • Silver Member
  • ...and I really do mean that.
    • I am antsy for baseball in the off-season.
« Reply #1055 on: February 15, 2020, 12:56:04 AM »
From the article on Bracknell

Because of Bracknell's age, it was decided that it should undergo renovation. Designs and plans were submitted and rejected first time round. The council went for a second attempt and were accepted, work was due to commence early in 2008 but due to the global credit crisis, the plans were postponed.

The intro line made me laugh. “This town is fucking past it - time to do something about it!”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bracknell

famethrowa

• mere rhetorical frippery
« Reply #1056 on: February 18, 2020, 10:44:13 PM »
Regarding the Turtles:

Quote from:
Describing the song in 1974 Kaylan claimed to have written the song in just an hour after locking himself in a hotel room. In his 2013 autobiography, the time of composition has become 30 minutes.