Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:52:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Amusing Wikipedia Stuff [split topic]

Started by dr_christian_troy, July 25, 2010, 11:46:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: NoSleep on April 13, 2011, 03:22:14 PM
Definitely a faulty memory on my part then; I envisaged them as little cartons, like those ones that they sell currants & raisins in today.

What, like a matchbox?

NoSleep

Matchboxes have a little drawer that slides out of a rectangular sleeve; not the same as a carton, which has a lid/flap.

doppelkorn

Just to add to this silly conversation started by me, I think Smarties are and were available in little cardboard boxes about the size of a matchbox but with a flap you could close, not a slidy drawer. Whether they have been in Quality Street or not is another matter.

Jemble Fred

Surely Quality Street and Smarties are owned by totally different companies? Not to mention the fact that Quality Street has only ever contained Quality Street chocolates, in different coloured wrappers, and never contained mini versions of chocolate bars and the like. Wikipedia has been DUPED!

An tSaoi

Mr Wikipedia is going to be so mad when he finds out.

Quote from: Jemble Fred on April 14, 2011, 11:08:26 AM
Surely Quality Street and Smarties are owned by totally different companies?

Both made by Nestle. I do remember the mini-boxes in some kind of assorted mix, but I couldn't swear that it was Quality Street.

Jemble Fred

Quote from: Steve Lampkins on April 14, 2011, 12:59:56 PM
Both made by Nestle. I do remember the mini-boxes in some kind of assorted mix, but I couldn't swear that it was Quality Street.

Shit, I've only just discovered that Rowntree doesn't exist any more. Scandal.

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: Jemble Fred on April 14, 2011, 01:02:41 PM
Shit, I've only just discovered that Rowntree doesn't exist any more. Scandal.

Both products were always made by Rowntree's, then Nestle. Your confectionery knowledge is rather weak, I'm afraid.

doppelkorn

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on April 14, 2011, 02:55:08 PM
Both products were always made by Rowntree's, then Nestle. Your confectionery knowledge is rather weak, I'm afraid.

He's a bit blonde when it comes to these matters; an Aer(o)head, if you will.

Retinend

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summertime_(song)#Recorded_versions

"There are some 24,400 different recorded versions of the song"

What, really? I did the calculation and found out that if the article is accurate in saying that the first recorded version of the composition was made in July 1935, a recorded version of the composition has been made every day from that date until today.

[Austin Tasseltine]I somehow doubt it, don't you?[/Austin Tasseltine]

Pepotamo1985

doppelkorn

Chaged it to Islam, wonder how long that will last...

Famous Mortimer

Subtle Mocking

Quote from: Retinend on April 18, 2011, 11:06:38 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summertime_(song)#Recorded_versions

"There are some 24,400 different recorded versions of the song"

What, really?

Well, there's a source for it. Whether or not it's genuine is really up in the air...

http://www.summertime-connection.nl/ST%20Coverlist.pdf

chocky909

You can't beat the Mungo Jerry version though, can you?

NoSleep

Quote from: chocky909 on April 18, 2011, 07:21:17 PM
You can't beat the Mungo Jerry version though, can you?

The original Mungo Jerry version. Ray Dorset recorded several inferior versions under the Mungo Jerry moniker as the years went by.

Treguard of Dunshelm

An tSaoi

QuoteTimeline of the far future

On cosmological timescales, certain events in the future of the universe can be predicted with a level of accuracy. The following times all assume that the universe is open.

Less than 1 million years from now:

* ~600 years — Time until, according to current established boundaries for the constellations, the Earth's axial precession will move the Sun's spring equinox position from Pisces to Aquarius, triggering what astrologers call the "Age of Aquarius".[1]
    * ~1,000 years — time until the Earth's axial precession makes Gamma Cephei the North Star.[2]
    * 3,200 years — time until the Earth's axial precession makes Iota Cephei the North Star.[2]
    * 5,200 years — Time until the Gregorian calendar will be one day out of step with the Sun's position.[3]
    * 9,700 years — time until Barnard's Star passes within 3.8 light years from the Solar System, becoming the Sun's closest star.[4]
    * 13,000 years — time until the Earth's axial precession makes Vega the North Star.[5]
    * 50,000 years — according to the work of Burger and Loutre,[6] time at which the current interglacial will end, sending the Earth back into an ice age, assuming limited effects of anthropogenic global warming.
    * 100,000 years — time by which proper motion will render the constellations unrecognisable.[7]
    * 500,000 years — time by which Earth will likely be impacted by a meteorite of roughly 1 km in diameter.[8]

1 million to one billion (106-109) years from now:

* 1.4 million years — Time until Gliese 710 passes within 1.1 light years of the Sun, potentially disturbing the Solar System's Oort cloud and increasing the likelihood of a comet impact in the inner Solar System.[9]
    * 10 million years — time by which the widening East African Rift valley will have been flooded by the Red Sea, causing a new ocean basin to divide the continent of Africa.[10]
    * 40 million years — estimated time until Mars's moon Phobos will collide with its surface.[11]
    * 50 million years — by this time, Australia will have crossed the equator and collided with Southeast Asia.[12] Also, the Californian coast will begin to be subducted into the Aleutian Trench, and Africa will have collided with Eurasia, closing the Mediterranean Basin.[13][14]
    * 100 million years — by this time, the Earth would likely have been impacted by a meteorite comparable in size to that which triggered the K-T extinction 65 million years ago.[15]
    * 250 million years — time until all the continents on Earth are fused into a new supercontinent.[16]

1 billion to 1 trillion (109-1012) years from now:

* 1 billion years — point at which the Sun's increasing luminosity will render life on Earth's surface impossible.[17]
    * 3.5 billion years — Time until surface conditions on Earth are comparable to those on Venus today.[18]
    * 3.6 billion years — estimated time until Neptune's moon Triton will fall through the planet's Roche limit, potentially disintegrating into a new planetary ring system.[19]
    * 5.4 billion years — time before the Sun becomes a red giant.[20]
    * 7 billion years — time until the potential collision between the Milky Way and Andromeda galaxies.[21][22]
    * 20 billion years — time until the end of the universe in the Big Rip scenario.[23] Experimental evidence currently suggests that this will not occur.[24]
    * 50 billion years — time until the Earth and the Moon become tidelocked, with each showing only one face to the other, assuming both survive the Sun's expansion.[25][26]
    * >400 billion years — time by which all the Solar System's actinide elements will have decayed to less than 1% their current value, leaving bismuth as the heaviest traceable element.

1 trillion to 1 decillion (1012-1033) years from now:

* 1012 (1 trillion) years — low estimate for the time until star formation ends in galaxies as galaxies are depleted of the gas clouds they need to form stars.[27], §IID.
    * 2×1012 (2 trillion) years — time until all galaxies outside the Local Supercluster are no longer detectable in any way, assuming that dark energy continues to make the Universe expand at an accelerating rate.[28]
    * 1013 (10 trillion) to 2×1013 (20 trillion) years — lifetime of the longest-lived stars, low-mass red dwarfs.[27] §IIA.
    * 1014 (100 trillion) years — high estimate for the time until star formation ends in galaxies.[27], §IID. Once star formation ends and the least massive red dwarfs exhaust their fuel, the only stellar-mass objects remaining will be stellar remnants (white dwarfs, neutron stars and black holes.) Brown dwarfs will also remain.[27] §IIE.
    * 1015 (1 quadrillion) years — estimated time until planets are detached from their orbits. Whenever two objects pass close to each other, the orbits of their planets can be disrupted and the planets can be ejected from orbit around their parent objects. Planets with closer orbits take longer to be ejected in this manner on average because a passing object must make a closer pass to the planet's primary to eject the planet.[27], §IIIF, Table I.
    * 1019 to 1020 years — the estimated time until brown dwarfs and stellar remnants are ejected from galaxies. When two objects pass close enough to each other, they exchange orbital energy with lower-mass objects tending to gain energy. The lower-mass objects can gain enough energy in this manner through repeated encounters to be ejected from the galaxy. This process will cause the galaxy to eject the majority of its brown dwarfs and stellar remnants.[27], §IIIA;[29], pp. 85–87
    * 1020 years — estimated time until the Earth's orbit around the Sun decays via emission of gravitational radiation,[30] if the Earth is neither first engulfed by the red giant Sun a few billion years from now[31][32] nor ejected from its orbit by a stellar encounter before then.[30]
    * 1032 years — the smallest possible value for the proton half-life consistent with experiment.[33]

1 decillion to 1 millinillion (1033-103003) years from now:

* 3×1034 years—the estimated time for all nucleons in the observable universe to decay, if the proton half-life takes its smallest possible value.[34]
    * 1036 years—the mean half-life of a proton according to some theories.
    * 1041 years—the largest possible value for the proton half-life, assuming that the Big Bang was inflationary and that the same process that makes protons decay made baryons predominate over anti-baryons in the early Universe.[27], §IVA.
    * 3×1043 years—the estimated time for all nucleons in the observable universe to decay, if the proton half-life takes the largest possible value, 1041 years, consistent with the conditions given above.[34]
    * 1065 years—estimated time for rigid objects like rocks to rearrange their atoms and molecules via quantum tunnelling, assuming that the proton does not decay. On this timescale all matter is liquid.[30]
    * 2×1066 years—the estimated time until a black hole with the mass of the Sun decays by the Hawking process.[35]
    * 1.7×10106 years—the estimated time until a supermassive black hole with a mass of 20 trillion solar masses decays by the Hawking process.[35]
    * 101500 years—the estimated time until all matter decays to 56Fe (if the proton does not decay). See isotopes of iron.[30]

Beyond 1 millinillion (103003) years from now:

* 10^{10^{26}} years—low estimate for the time until all matter collapses into black holes, assuming no proton decay.[30]

* 10^{10^{50}} years—estimated time for a Boltzmann brain to appear in the vacuum via a spontaneous entropy decrease.[36]

* 10^{10^{76}} years—high estimate for the time until all matter collapses into neutron stars or black holes, again assuming no proton decay.[30]

* 10^{10^{120}} years— high estimate for the time for the universe to collapse into a sink, or terminal vaccuum.[36]

* 10^{10^{10^{76.66}}} years—scale of an estimated Poincaré recurrence time for the quantum state of a hypothetical box containing an isolated black hole of stellar mass.[37] This time assumes a statistical model subject to Poincaré recurrence. A much simplified way of thinking about this time is that in a model where our universe's history repeats itself arbitrarily many times due to properties of statistical mechanics, this is the time scale when it will first be somewhat similar (for a reasonable choice of "similar") to its current state again.

* 10^{10^{10^{10^{2.08}}}} years—scale of an estimated Poincaré recurrence time for the quantum state of a hypothetical box containing a black hole with the mass within the presently visible region of our universe.[37] This time assumes a statistical model subject to Poincaré recurrence. A much simplified way of thinking about this time is that in a model where our universe's history repeats itself arbitrarily many times due to properties of statistical mechanics, this is the time scale when it will first be somewhat similar (for a reasonable choice of "similar") to its current state again.

* 10^{10^{10^{10^{10^{1.1}}}}} years—scale of an estimated Poincaré recurrence time for the quantum state of a hypothetical box containing a black hole with the estimated mass of the entire universe, observable or not, assuming a certain inflationary model with an inflaton whose mass is 10−6 Planck masses.[37]

* 10^{10^{10^{10^{10^{1.2}}}}} years—Ireland repay last of country's debts

The Duck Man

Not Wikipedia, but...

QuoteMariah Carey and Nick Cannon have revealed the names of their newborn twins. The 'We Belong Together' singer and America's Got Talent host Cannon welcomed a son and a daughter at a Los Angeles hospital over the weekend. The boy has been named Moroccan Scott Cannon, while the girl is called Monroe Cannon.

It gets worse:
QuoteThe name Moroccan is in reference to the decor of a room in Carey's New York apartment, which is influenced by the country

Pepotamo1985

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-terrorism_legislation

Very weird intro on this.

"Critics often allege that anti-terrorism legislation endangers democracy by creating a state of exception that allows authoritarian  style of government. Governments often state that they are necessary temporary measures that will be dispelled when the danger finally vanish.

However, most anti-terrorist legislation remains in activity even after the initial target of it has been eliminated. A good example of this is the "War on Terror" which officially was to end in 2003, however it persists to this day (Feb of 2011). With no clear end in sight it violates the laws of reason, facilitating its own brand of circular reasoning and a pseudo straw man ( "Terror" as the straw man). Perpetuating its own existence as it were. This presents an unusual case as a logical fallacy.[citation needed]"

I mean...how are they getting away with this?

Saucer51

Quote from: doppelkorn on April 18, 2011, 05:05:15 PM
Chaged it to Islam, wonder how long that will last...

I think changing the occupation to roadie for the Village People might be fun.

doppelkorn

Get it while it's hot!

EDIT: lasted about 10 seconds and then I got told off.

boki

...which is why you have to actually post a quote in here, foo'!

{goes to find that tag from the old thread}

waynew

I was just browsing this page on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Coke

and this line caught my eye:

QuoteIt is also worth noting that our very own Dean from Wales was not drinking Coka-Cola and to this day has not tasted the new Coke taste

WTF?

jutl

QuoteEarly advertisements referred to Dasani as "bottled spunk" or featured the tagline "can't live without spunk". These slogans were used seemingly oblivious to the fact that spunk is slang for semen in the UK.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dasani#United_Kingdom

An tSaoi

There's a Garfield wikipedia. A wikipedia for Garfield.

Quote from: garfield.wikia.com
Garfield: The Movie

Differences from comic
  • In the film, Jon drives a green Volvo S60 as opposed to his red sedan in the comics, cartoons, and other media. This also changed in Garfield 2, because in that, Jon drives a blue Volvo V50.
  • In the movie, Liz is portrayed as Jon's love interest, which is significantly different from her comic portrayal, in which she repels Jon's advances and insists on keeping the relationship professional. Up until recently Jon's entire romantic life in the comics had been a series of cancelled or failed dates. On July 26, 2006 Liz did finally succumb to Jon's "charms" in the comic strip and has at last started dating him.
  • Nermal is portrayed as an adult seal point siamese who is a playmate of Garfield. In the comic strip, he is a vain gray tabby kitten that often visits Garfield to remind him of his old age, usually on or near his birthday, Nermal in the movie also seems to be slightly dim-witted, whereas his comic strip counterpart is not. In the TV show Nermal sounds more feminine, despite being male. In the movie, he sounds like a male teenager.
  • In the comic strip and animated series, Garfield is portrayed as an extremely lazy cat, seen mostly sleeping or eating. In the movie, Garfield can be seen dancing, running, jumping, and making a lot of other movement. This was also noted in Garfield and Friends.
  • Jon got Odie from Liz in the movie. In the strip, Lyman showed up with Odie in tow.
  • Odie in the film is a Dachshund. In the comic strip, Odie is a beagle with a black spot on his side. Arlene's fur was dark gray instead of pink.
  • Arlene in the film appears to be more of Garfield's friend whereas in the comic, she is his love interest (although a deleted scene shows him flirting with Arlene before being distracted by a pie).
  • In the comics and TV series, Jon is portrayed as a nerd with very little success in love. In the movie, he is no longer portrayed as a loser, simply a shy guy who has a good relationship with Liz and even knocks-out Happy Chapman in one punch.
  • In the film, (As well as the sequel and the CGI movies) Garfield's mouth moves when he's talking. In the comic strip and all the 2D TV cartoons, however, he solely verbalizes his thoughts via thought balloons and voice-over, respectively. Despite this, no humans can understand what he says in the film for obvious reasons.

Garfield Gets Real

Goofs/Trivia

• When Jon says Hot! Hot! Hot! three times while taking out a microwave oatmeal, his lips don't match what he's saying.
  • In the same scene, Jon tosses three plates into the air. If you freeze frame the scene, you'll notice the last one intersects with the camera.
  • When Garfield wakes up, they keep discussing it's Monday. But when the newspaper goes to print, it says that it is Thursday.
  • When Garfield is talking to Wally, the background has Zelda cooking Kat-Kreal Stew. In the next shot, she's serving sandwiches.
  • In the real world, Odie's bone is being chased by chiuauauas, and after the lamp-post shot, they land flat on the ground near Odie. The computer had very poor animation performance to clear the clay off of the chiuauauas after they arise from the land and chase after Odie. There are still brown puddles (made of clay), that are on the ground.
  • At Garfield's bedroom, we see a picture of the June 8, 2003 comic strip that is smashed by the lamp.
  • The book In Dog Years I'd Be Dead is seen in the Daily Newspaper Chronicle.
  • In the comic strip, Garfield sleeps on the table or floor in his bed-box. In this film he has his own bedroom.
  • Odie talks more English than in the comic strip, such as My Bone!, I Don't Know, and Right.
  • This is the first CGI-fully animated film of Garfield, and the first film to be released to DVD instead of threatical.
  • Hale and Hardy's names are based on the phrase ``Hale and hearty.
  • Liz Wilson and Pooky do not appear in the film, despite being in the first two live-action films.
  • Lasagna and pizza has never been mentioned in this film.
  • The glasses Ashley wears are the same style of Simon's glasses from Alvin and the Chipmunks, but they're pink and not blue or black.
  • Grimmy from 'Mother Goose and Grimm' has a cameo in this film.

Garfield's Fun Fest

Trivia/Goofs
  • Jon said he's been doing the dance routine since 1978. 1978 was the year the comic strip Garfield was first published, and that it is the 30th Annual Fun Fest, confirming that the film does take place in the year 2008.
  • Garfield at the beginning parodies James Bond (even says the phrase ``Bond, James Bond), Tarzan, Frankenstein, Lady and the Tramp, and The Wizard of Oz (Garfield portraying Dorothy saying I don't think we're in Kansas anymore) and (Arlene portrayed as Toto the dog wearing a dog-like bead)
  • The superman we saw from Garfield Gets Real is seen in the Comic Studios posing for Fun Fest.
  • One of the people you see at the Fun Fest audience is the slogan-man with a angry face in the middle that was in the 2000s Garfield shopping Internet chanel that is formely canceled. He's wearing a green shirt near a orange-haired citizen.
  • In the movie, Garfield does not understand the fully meaning of humor. However, he had taught pupils studying cartoons of how the technology of funny was developed in the Season 2 Garfield and Friends episode How To Be Funny.

Garfield's Pet Force

Trivia/Goofs
  • This movie is released in 3D with 4 pairs of 3D glasses.
  • While at the Comic Studio Nermal and Odie were reading the Pet Force comic to see what happens next but look behind Arlene the DVD poster of Garfield Gets Real is in the studio,but why is it a poster?
  • Even though this movie is 75 minutes the 3D version skips a few parts making this movie shorter to 73 minutes 2 minutes less.
  • On the way to the Comic Studio Nermal's still reading the comic of Pet Force to see what happens next but when he says he'll turn the page he does turn it in the closeup of him and
  • Arlene and in the next shot it's still on the same page.
  • When Vetvix uses super scramble to scramble Garzooka, Odie, Nermal, and Arlene it takes a few seconds before they are combined into the Pet Force Ball when Vetvix lets go of the button.

It greatly amuses me that there's someone out there whose sole pleasure in life is chronicling minor inconsistencies in straight-to-DVD CGI Garfield cartoons, armed with a vast knowledge of every single detail of the Garfield mythos, an incurable urge for hardcore pedantry, and a woeful grasp of English grammar. I wonder who this person (or persons) is. A bored child? An obsessive-compulsive savant who has memorised every Garfield cartoon? A crazed psychopath who papers his walls with Garfield newspaper strips and the skin of his victims? We just don't know.

buttgammon

I've left a spurious trail of vandalism on poor old Wikipedia, some of which is childish and some of which is plain unfunny. Some of it is yet to be removed.

That is all.

doppelkorn

On the Hebrew Language page there is a picture of some signs with the following caption:

QuoteHebrew signs on an Israeli highway

Which makes me think of David Brent's "Free love on the free love freeway" song.

Amusing? Borderline.

Cohaagen

I've added some new info to the page on rainbows, but I'm not sure it'll stay up long. I think the lack of citations will let me down, ultimately.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow

QuoteRecords
The largest rainbow ever recorded was sighted in Davis County, Utah in March 2001. The 18-mile long purple and black phenomena was tracked by air traffic control as it moved slowly over the countryside causing nausea and headaches amongst observers. Its weight was calculated at almost 300 tonnes.

In 1979 a rainbow estimated to be travelling at Mach 2.5 was shot down over Qinghai Province, China by a PLAAF J-7 jet.