Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:26:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Amusing Wikipedia Stuff [split topic]

Started by dr_christian_troy, July 25, 2010, 11:46:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zero Gravitas

Quote from: Steve Lampkins on December 30, 2010, 10:04:42 PM
Gonna have to use a Stylish script to get rid of that smug wanker Jimmy Wales peering at me all the time. Especially as his photo is right over the names of people, it makes everyone look like a smug wanker.

Smug?

That's a fucking being from beyond the veil.

There's a button to hide them in the top corner of the ad.

Quote from: Zero Gravitas on December 30, 2010, 10:16:59 PMThere's a button to hide them in the top corner of the ad.

It doesn't stay closed for me. Not sure if it's cookie based, or maybe I just don't visit that often. Well I actually installed a whole new style now anyway.

Small Man Big Horse

I just found a thread on Thandie Newton on imdb which is quite bizarre: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0628601/board/nest/161680493?p=1
And it led me to the comments on this page on AskMen: http://uk.askmen.com/includes/components/posts/postPage.php?id=919348&p=1

I'm almost certain that it's someone taking the piss, but their devotion to it is quite alarming. He starts out asking for contact details for Thandie, before declaring his love for her, and by page 18 - and a year and a half later - he's writing really OTT fantasy fiction about her. So, erm, yeah. Trolling or not, he's a bit of strange one.

NoSleep

Jemble Fred

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on January 02, 2011, 08:15:28 PM
I just found a thread on Thandie Newton on imdb which is quite bizarre: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0628601/board/nest/161680493?p=1
And it led me to the comments on this page on AskMen: http://uk.askmen.com/includes/components/posts/postPage.php?id=919348&p=1

I'm almost certain that it's someone taking the piss, but their devotion to it is quite alarming. He starts out asking for contact details for Thandie, before declaring his love for her, and by page 18 - and a year and a half later - he's writing really OTT fantasy fiction about her. So, erm, yeah. Trolling or not, he's a bit of strange one.

I'd love to know what the guy would make of Vic Reeves' thigh-rubbing performance for her on the Xmas Shooting Stars. Let me know if he updates...

Cohaagen

Retinend

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pug_dog
QuoteThe pug is a "toy" (very small) breed of dog with a wrinkly, short-muzzled face, and curled tail. Pugs are not named after the word pugleton. The breed has a fine, glossy coat...

what?

Mister Six

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F.A.R.T._the_Movie

QuoteF.A.R.T. the Movie, released in 1991, is about a man named Russell who is obsessed with farting. His girlfriend Heather despises farts and becomes angry with Russell because all he does is watch television and fart. She tells him that if the television turns into fart jokes, then Russell won't even leave the house. Then one night, the television does become all about farts.

The movie stars Joel Weiss as Russell, and Shannandoah Sorin as Heather, and was written and directed by Ray Etheridge.

Amazing.

Mister Six

Bonus material: IMDB review:

QuoteIt's a GAS !!!, 8 January 2010
5/10
Author: guestar57 from United States

A Ray/Migdalia Etheridge comedy.

Starring:Joel Weiss,Conrad Brooks,Robert Axelrod and Steven Banks.

This is a funny video,That's suited for wild parties and wild viewing by "The Guys".

A lot of sketch comedy that would later be used in 'Saturday Night Live" and "SCTV".

The facts and nuances of FARTING and the noises & smells associated with are conjectured and scrutinized.

The Etheridges admit this is their best seller on Amazon.com and mostly women buy for their husbands and boyfriends !

Its funny,Like we said and has a great cast.

And a message board post:

QuoteThis movie undermines the hilarity of farts!   
  by AutumnRed   (Thu Sep 28 2006 22:53:30)    

Last week at work, my co-worker let rip with the most incredibly STANKIN fart, it smelled like tar and hot garbage, customers coming into the store would freeze just inside the door and their nostrils would flare. Reactions were comical, ranging from "Jesus Christ monkeyballs!" and "What the *beep* is that!" to one guy who just turned around and left. We'll be talking about that day for years!

I think farts are the funniest thing the human body is capable of doing, but you can't make a movie revolve around it because it gets old and boring after a half hour or so. If my work buddy had gone around popping out gas all day, the experience would quickly have lost its charm just like in this movie.

mycroft

Reading up on the Hartlepool monkey-hanging incident, and the monkey's role as mascot for the local team:

QuoteIn 2002, Stuart Drummond campaigned for the office of Mayor of Hartlepool in the costume of H'Angus the Monkey and narrowly won; he used the election slogan "free bananas for schoolchildren", a promise he was unable to keep. He has since been re-elected twice.

Clearly the whole monkey episode taught the good people of the town to be more forgiving.

Joy Nktonga

Just found this on Tinie Tempah's page. Copypasta'd before the inevitable clean-up:

Harfyyn Teuport

Quote from: mycroft on January 06, 2011, 08:02:09 AM
Reading up on the Hartlepool monkey-hanging incident, and the monkey's role as mascot for the local team:

Clearly the whole monkey episode taught the good people of the town to be more forgiving.

Just last month he was rated one of the world's ten best mayors.

We played "Hartlepool Monkey" at the local folk club this Christmas. It's quite a good song.

The Duck Man

The 2010 "Editing Wikipedia From Inside Parliament" Awards

Quoteall of the web traffic from the Houses of Parliament is sent through one of two proxy servers — which means that every anonymous edit to Wikipedia from within Parliament is attributed to one of just two IP addresses.

QuoteThis first award goes to the anonymous editor of the article on Joan Ryan, the former MP for Enfield North. Ever since June 2009, someone within Parliament has been persistently trying to remove the section about Ryan's involvement in the MPs' expenses scandal. Sometimes the section would vanish for just a few minutes; sometimes it would disappear for weeks before being noticed and replaced — but reliably, every couple of months or so until the General Election, someone within Parliament would try and sneakily wipe the past.

Except on weekends, that is, when identical blanking attempts would come from an anonymous user in Joan Ryan's constituency of Enfield.

QuoteThis award goes to an anonymous Parliament staffer who, until the election in May, was spending an hour or so every few days doggedly improving Wikipedia's coverage of Roman Catholics. [...] In one glorious hour-long stint on the morning of 26th February, adding the tags '20th-century Roman Catholics' and '21st-century Roman Catholics' to more than a hundred articles. Congratulations, whoever you are: that shows real devotion both to God and to slacking off from Parliamentary duties.

QuoteThis goes to an anonymous editor in Parliament in November 2009. That's technically a little early for these awards, but nothing else could beat the assertion that Cilla Black was the headteacher of Enfield County School. (Enfield again! Coincidence, surely.) That editor even changed the school's motto to "A Lorra Lorra Learning".

QuoteAnd finally, this goes to the Parliament vandal who was first to claim that figure skater Stéphane Lambiel was a zebra with wings and magical powers — a reference to Lambiel's costume at the Winter Olympics. Not only did that edit survive for more than 90 minutes, but a series of other Wikipedia users expanded on it.

Alas, though, their fun was cut short by a more serious, level-headed and civic-minded Wikipedia user... from St. Mary's School in Ascot.

I've had a route around for the parliamentary IP addresses. Here's one, I can't find the other.

Famous Mortimer

Reading about the hilarious Celebrity Love Island, I followed it to Rebecca Loos. Whatever happened to her etc?

QuoteIn 2008, Loos was a guest hostess on The Podge and Rodge Show.[citation needed]
I just love that not only did someone bother to write that down, someone else saw it and was so annoyed they added the Citation Needed tag. Just sheer internet pointlessness at its best.

The Duck Man

I've been to the island where they filmed Celebrity Love Island and have been inside the pool they had there.

What a glorious life I've led.

jutl

QuotePrisoner Jock Hamilton-Baillie used to shave his legs, rub them in brown shoe polish, and draw a line down the back of his legs in pencil to simulate the appearance of silk stockings. This allowed him special "bath privileges" in the German guards washroom, since the prisoners' showers were unable to get the polish off his legs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oflag_IV-C

ElTopo

QuoteIn 1869, the 14-year-old Ned Kelly was arrested for assaulting a Chinese pig farmer named Ah Fook.[8]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ned_kelly

citizen snips

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adele_(singer)

QuoteAdele then claimed she was influenced by the music of Etta James and Ella Fitzgerald in her teens by accident, as she stumbled on the artists' CDs at a local HMV store while looking for a new hairstyle. She only got to listen to those songs for the first time as she was clearing her room.

TheWizard

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Ball-peen_hammer&oldid=411570913

QuoteThe original function of the hammer was to peen riveted or welded material, which makes it as flexible as the surrounding metal. Today, the ball end of the hammer is used to cut gaskets, expand and shape the free end of copper roves, light rivets, and "set" rivets (which completes the joint). Peter Sutcliffe used one to kill a number of prostitutes.

Subtle Mocking

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Hawk_(series)#History
QuoteOn February 9th 2011, Activision announced that the Tony Hawk series would not feature an installment in the 2011 calender year. This was due to poor reviews and sales of recent games in the series. Not a single fuck was given that day.
Spoiler alert
Sadly, it hasn't been discontinued. Yet.
[close]

mycroft

boki

From Ween's entry:

Quote"Piss up a Rope" can be heard playing in the garage near the start of the 1997 movie U Turn. It can also be heard in the background in a scene in the cafe from a May 2008 episode of English soap Eastenders.

Please let that be true.  Pretty please.

An tSaoi

Quotehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicolas_Cage#Acting_Style

In February 2011, Cage claimed to have created a new method of acting he calls Nouveau Shamanic. He claims to have used the acting style throughout his career and one day plans to write a book about the method.

Mister Six

Old Man Murray's page has been nuked. The deletion thread sees PC Gamer, Wired and Kotaku being written off as unreliable or non-notable sources: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Old_Man_Murray_(2nd_nomination)#Old_Man_Murray

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Everything about this paragraph - or rather, procession of non sequiturs -  on 70s prog-rockers Pavlov's Dog is brilliant.

QuoteDavid Surkamp's high-pitched and quickly wavering vibrato has been compared to that of Geddy Lee of Rush. Surkamp once wept openly after losing a table tennis match in St. Louis in 1977. When the band split up in the late 1970s, Surkamp was rumored to be dead, although in fact he was working with former Fairport Convention member Ian Matthews on a band named Hi-Fi.

Ah, the vicissitudes of rock and roll.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

From the entry for Jealous Guy by John Lennon.

QuoteAlmost five years after Lennon's murder, and four-and-a-half years after Roxy Music had taken their cover of the song to #1 on the UK charts in 1981, Tegid Rhys released a Welsh Version of Jealous Guy which was at number 1 for a staggering three and a half years in the Luxembourg charts.

Three and a half years! And in Welsh!

Somewhat suspiciously, however, the internent is throwing up no further mentions of this freakish pop phenomenon.

The Duck Man

We occasionally post IMDb stuff in here, don't we?

Jim Carter's profile picture is rather charming:

After hearing Julian Clary on the radio this evening I looked him up and found this

QuoteClary returned to film in 2001 in the film The Baby Juice Express which starred Lisa Faulkner, Samantha Janus, Ruth Jones and David Seaman, about a prisoner who is desperate to find some way of conceiving with his wife whilst he is prison, but the sperm ends up getting hijacked. It was released on DVD in 2004.

Worryingly this film hasn't been made up.