Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:26:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Amusing Wikipedia Stuff [split topic]

Started by dr_christian_troy, July 25, 2010, 11:46:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EOLAN

A short little one on the Cast List for the fairly rubbish film "Draft Day".

"Tony Rizzo as himself, a wife beater"

Gulftastic

Beautiful bit of Partridge-like text from the entry of Nigel Pivaro, who played Terry Duckworth in Coronation Street;

' Pivaro is an obsessional map enthusiast and frequently refuses to use GPS despite driving thousands of miles to assignment destinations. He is also a champion of the canal system and frequently calls for freight to be transferred from roads and back onto a modernised canal system.'

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Gulftastic on May 01, 2018, 05:18:58 PM
Beautiful bit of Partridge-like text from the entry of Nigel Pivaro, who played Terry Duckworth in Coronation Street;

champion of the canal system
I mean, we all think we're good at canals, but champion? Ah, whatever.

asids

The Wikipedia page of Senegal national football team manager Aliou Cisse has this as his picture:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aliou_Ciss%C3%A9#/media/File:Aliou_Ciss%C3%A9.jpg

Aliou Cissé (left)

madhair60

The last sentence here tickled me in the article for Clean Bandit's "Solo"

QuoteThe music video stars the members of Clean Bandit and Demi Lovato. The video follows Clean Bandit's Grace Chatto and a 'lover' as they argue. As the arguments become violent, Grace grabs her longboard and skates into town where she ends up at a laundrette. Hidden behind the washing machines in a office, Grace pays an attendant for some strange concoction. The video then follows a longboarder who shows off some pretty impressive moves as she skates along a road to get this strange medicine which is being made for her. In the end, with the help of the medicine, Grace turns her abusive partner into a multi-colored golden lab puppy. Lovato makes brief appearances throughout, looking flawless as always in a floral top as she sings the track's hook.

Ferris

Doing some background reading on Bordeaux, I stumbled onto this article. The whole thing is very amusingly written.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_the_Black_Prince

QuoteHe plundered Narbonne and thought of attacking the citadel, for he heard that there was much booty there, but gave up the idea on finding that it was well defended.

The Count of Armagnac tried to intercept him, but a small body of French having been defeated in a skirmish near Toulouse the rest of the army retreated into the city, and the prince returned in peace to Bordeaux, bringing back with him enormous spoils. The expedition lasted eight weeks, during which the prince only rested eleven days in all the places he visited, and without performing any feat of arms did the French king much mischief.

FredNurke

I wonder what out-of-copyright 19th century book that's been whipped out of.

FAKE EDIT: Oh, it's his original DNB entry. Figures.

Ferris

From the article on The Wild Angels, the movie where Peter Fonda does the speech from that Primal Scream song (you know the one, "we wanna be free to have a good time" etc).

Here's the first line from the plot section.

QuoteIn between sprees featuring drugs, fights, sexual assault, loud revving Harley chopper engines and bongo drums, the Angels ride out to Mecca, California in the desert to look for the Loser's stolen motorcycle.

What an opener! It's like a Jack Kerouac novel

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wild_Angels

popcorn

From the article on She's the One by Robbie Williams:

QuoteIn the video Williams is a coach to an ice skating couple - portrayed by Pamela O'Connor and Jonathon O'Dougherty - but when the male skater gets injured during practice, Williams takes his place for the final and gets the highest scores. In the video, he performs a backflip, which is actually illegal in competitive figure skating.

Pseudopath

Quote from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady_Sovereign#Personal_lifeLady Sovereign has not released any new music since 2009 due to stomach pains.

On the plus side, we've all been saved a lot of earache.

iamcoop

After quite an emotionally hard hitting section, the last line in this paragraph from Henry Rollins' Wikipedia page reassured me he's being looked after;

Rollins does not have religious or spiritual beliefs, but he does not consider himself an atheist.[15] He has mostly avoided recreational drugs throughout his life, including alcohol.[16][17] Rollins is childless by choice,[18] and has not been in a romantic relationship since he was in his 20s.[19] He considers himself a solitary person, and maintains few deep relationships outside of his professional ones.[20] His closest personal friend is musician Ian MacKaye, the two have been best friends since they met as children in Washington, D.C. and they still call each other every week.[19]

Ferris

This photo. So many questions.

Edit: I'm finding Jewish law fascinating. I don't mean it to be cold or patronizing or anything, but it is all so alien and interesting to me. I like learning about people. I hope I don't sound dismissive or anything!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaving_in_Judaism

QuoteIn Leviticus 19:27, Jews are prohibited from "destroying" the corners of the beard. The Talmud (Makkos 20a) explains this to mean the use of a single-bladed razor (as opposed to any scissors-like device which requires two blades to cut). Therefore, Jewish males may not use a razor to cut certain parts of their beards.

Some modern Jewish religious legislators in Orthodox Judaism, including Rabbi Moshe Feinstein and Rabbi Yosef Eliyahu Henkin, permit the use of electric razors for the purpose of remaining clean-shaven, because, in their view, electric razors work like scissors, cutting by trapping hair between the blades and a metal grating.[36][37] However, other modern Jewish Rabbinical authorities, such as Rabbi Avraham Yeshayahu Karelitz and Rabbi Yaakov Yisrael Kanievsky, consider electric razors, particularly rotary models which use "Lift and Cut" heads made by Philips, to work in the manner of primitive razors, and consequently prohibit their use.[38] According to some interpretations of the permissive view, these shavers can be used if the lifters attached to the shaver's cutters are removed first. According to other interpretations of this view, these shavers can be used without removing the lifters, and, indeed, according to some, it may even be preferable not to do so.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: Pseudopath on June 12, 2018, 10:52:08 AM
Lady Sovereign has not released any new music since 2009 due to stomach pains.

That is fantastic.

marquis_de_sad

On the page for Channel 4's defunct complaints programme, Right to Reply:

QuoteRight to Reply's covering of a controversial sex scene in The Singing Detective in 1986, which caused some viewers to complain about Right to Reply, which was possibly Simon Cowell's debut TV appearance.

It's baffling more than amusing, I suppose.

kalowski

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on July 31, 2018, 04:11:12 PM
On the page for Channel 4's defunct complaints programme, Right to Reply:

It's baffling more than amusing, I suppose.
https://youtu.be/N401SDmevkI

buttgammon

The line of argument taken by some 80s crackpots sounds uncannily like the sort of crap we still hear today. I must admit, I turned it off after "university intellectuals," because no way is my life going to be improved by hearing another minute of that sort of frothing-at-the-mouth nonsense.

Unless it was some sort of pisstake designed to get him on the telly, it proves a point about Cowell being a cunt I suppose.

asids

Quote from: kalowski on July 31, 2018, 04:52:50 PM
https://youtu.be/N401SDmevkI

He must have started playing down the campness when he was appearing on TV more regularly.

Uncle TechTip

This was Cowell's first TV appearance, as Wonder Dog... https://youtu.be/iw0yfiRz9zY

Bad Ambassador

"[Patrick] Cargill had innumerable pets, including a monkey, a parrot and a weathered sheep. His favourite pets were Ra, a cross-border collie, and Charles, a cat that lived at Spring Cottage and often attacked his house guests in their beds early in the morning by attempting to suckle their nipples, much to the alarm of its victims."

Quote from: asids on July 31, 2018, 07:51:28 PM
He must have started playing down the campness when he was appearing on TV more regularly.

And paying Max Clifford to plant stories in the press linking him with females.

jenna appleseed

Flump (sweet)
A Flumps (often mistakenly referred to as a Flump) is a British sweet made of marshmallow
....These are reputed as one of the best British confectionery due to winning the British Flump Award.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: thecuriousorange on August 15, 2018, 08:45:53 PM
And paying Max Clifford to plant stories in the press linking him with females.

Didn't someone on here used to work for him and confirmed that he was a serial woman shagger who just acted camp to make it easier to lure women into bed because they felt safer with him or summat?

Pseudopath

I thought he was supposed to be as gay as a window and regularly went on Caribbean holidays with a well-known hypnotist/self-help author (along with their respective beards)?

Allegedly, of course.

From the page on Delia Smith:

QuoteIn February 2005, Smith attracted attention during the half-time break of a home match against Manchester City. At the time Norwich were fighting an ultimately unsuccessful battle against relegation from the Premier League, and to rally the crowd, Smith grabbed the microphone from the club announcer on the pitch and said: "A message for the best football supporters in the world: we need a 12th man here. Where are you? Where are you? Let's be 'avin' you! Come on!" Norwich lost the match 3–2. Smith denied suggestions in the media that she had been drunk while delivering the speech.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delia_Smith

Captain Z

That is quite a famous moment among fans of football, I still cringe at memory of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXM6BOXBCIc

marquis_de_sad

She's now doing her let's be 'avin you schtick in an advert. Can't remember what for.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Pseudopath on August 26, 2018, 01:21:30 AM
I thought he was supposed to be as gay as a window and regularly went on Caribbean holidays with a well-known hypnotist/self-help author (along with their respective beards)?

Allegedly, of course.

I don't care whether he's gay or not, at least not on a personal level... it may or may not be damaging for public figures to deceive people about their private lives... whatever.
another debate.

the main thing is that he's a horrid wankpot & he can fuck off.

Ronalado

Quote from: Pseudopath on August 26, 2018, 01:21:30 AM

Allegedly, of course.

please simon COWL is good friend of ronalado. maybe you like me to tell false story alos about you? is possible.

Chriddof

The War of the Worlds (1984 video game)

QuoteThe War of the Worlds, titled on screen as Jeff Wayne's The War of the Worlds and on the cover as Jeff Wayne's Video Game Version of The War of the Worlds is a ZX Spectrum video game developed and released by CRL Group in 1984. The game is based upon the 1978 concept album, itself based on H.G. Wells' book The War of the Worlds.

Gameplay required the player to visit a series of sites in and around London, by moving a person using cursor keys or a joystick, and occasionally making choices such as whether to hide, run or stand still.

The game was something of a failure, being unpopular with reviewers because it ran very slowly. The player was often killed (hunger and thirst being common causes of death) and forced to begin the adventure from scratch.

Original 2-page magazine advertisements stated 'available for ZX Spectrum' but also had a list of other formats the game was 'to be created for' including the Commodore 64, Oric Atmos, BBC Micro and Acorn Electron[1] but no other versions were completed. It was slow as it was written in Basic and compiled - Due to the poor reception of the game, no other versions were written. In 1988 I spoke to Clem Chambers (CRL MD) about the game. I mentioned the fact that it was bug ridden, he insisted that it wasnt, I did. The office went quiet and everyone looked up, Clem gave me a filthy look and left the room.