Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:06:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Amusing Wikipedia Stuff [split topic]

Started by dr_christian_troy, July 25, 2010, 11:46:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJ Bob Hoskins

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_GX-1#Popular_music

Quote from: Wikipedia
A number of artists used the Yamaha GX-1 extensively in their recordings:

Keith Emerson of Emerson, Lake & Palmer in their albums Works Volume 1, Works Volume 2, Love Beach, and In Concert, as well as various soundtrack projects in the late 1970s and early 1980s, including their eponymous Emerson, Lake & Powell album, as well as in the concert film of their 1977 Works Orchestral tour and in the music videos for "Touch and Go" and "Black Moon". Emerson described touring with the GX-1 as a "roadie's nightmare" because of its 600 lb. mass. Emerson actually owned two of these machines; the first one was accidentally run over by a tractor that had got out of control. Emerson subsequently bought John Paul Jones' GX-1, had it repaired using bits and pieces from the other unit, just to find out some day (upon returning from the kitchen to make himself a sandwich) that there was a funny smell of frying components hanging in the air, and smoke plumes emanating from the instrument.

John Paul Jones of Led Zeppelin used a GX-1 on their 1979 album In Through The Out Door. Jones also used it on Led Zeppelin's 1979 concerts at Knebworth. He later sold his to Keith Emerson as a spare instrument after the infamous tractor incident.

Never Forget.

Sebastian Cobb

Dunno why I find this quite as amusing as I do, but Noel Clarke's otherwise busy wikipedia page just has this under 'early life'
Clarke was born in London, England.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noel_Clarke#Early_life

marquis_de_sad

From the page of dreadful academic Candida Moss. It's so bad I'm convinced she wrote it herself:

QuoteBorn in London, England, Moss graduated from Worcester College, Oxford part of the University of Oxford in Oxford, England in 2000 with a B.A.(Hons) in theology.

popcorn

From the Smooth Criminal page:

QuoteMichael Jackson and the dancers immediately around him perform a seemingly impossible forward lean; this illusion was created using strings and wires in the music video.[11] Without these, it would be tedious and impossible.[12]

Killer combo, that.

a duncandisorderly

interesting, that... jacko had a patent on a mechanism that fastened his shoe to the stage so that he could perform this lean. presumably he developed this after the video, so he could repeat it on stage.

anyway, I'm just writing this so I can find this thread again when I remember what it was that I wanted to post here when I couldn't find it two weeks ago & the search function wouldn't work. it still doesn't. chrome, since you ask.

popcorn

If you mean the CaB search, that's been broken for as long as I've been here. You can find stuff easily on google by searching for "site:cookdandbombd.co.uk" followed by whatever you're looking for.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: popcorn on November 11, 2018, 05:04:08 PM
If you mean the CaB search, that's been broken for as long as I've been here. You can find stuff easily on google by searching for "site:cookdandbombd.co.uk" followed by whatever you're looking for.

I tried that & it didnae.

popcorn

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on November 11, 2018, 05:12:42 PM
I tried that & it didnae.

It's always worked for me. What's the phrase you're looking for?

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: popcorn on November 11, 2018, 05:38:47 PM
It's always worked for me. What's the phrase you're looking for?

just 'wikipedia'... does it have to be precise, like?

On the Wikipedia page for musician Sam Amidon:

QuoteSam Amidon, born Samuel Tear Amidon (born June 3, 1981 in Brattleboro, Vermont) is an American folk artist. His parents are folk artists Peter Amidon and Mary Alice Amidon.[1] In 2018, the special defense team of Area 51 claimed his species to be elf.

grassbath

On the page for R Kelly:

QuoteKelly was eight years old when he had his first girlfriend. They would hold hands and eat make-believe meals inside their playhouse built from cardboard, where they "vowed to be boyfriend and girlfriend forever." Their last play date turned tragic when, after fighting with some older children over a play area by a creek, Lulu was pushed into the water. A fast-moving current swept her away while she screamed Kelly's name. Shortly after, she was found dead downstream.

Pretty awful if true, but the melodramatic flair and 'playhouse built from cardboard' did provoke a snort. Particularly because a good deal of the article seems to have been written by someone attempting to compensate for the extensive list of sex abuse allegations, which are written in a considerably more sober and judicious tone.

Some nice unbiased quote sources too:

QuoteLarry Khan, Senior VP of Jive's urban marketing/promotion has said that Kelly's musical compass is second to none.[112]

Queneau

momatt

A little girl drowning is a quite sad yeah.
Even sadder that it wasn't R Kelly instead.

Queneau

Fucking hell! Multiple sources are telling me it's true.

QuoteIn one of the sadder moments of his memoir, Kelly recalls the story of his first girlfriend, Lulu. He was only 8, but they would hold hands and eat make-believe meals inside their playhouse built from cardboard, where they "vowed to be boyfriend and girlfriend forever." Their last playdate turned tragic when, after fighting with some older kids over a play area by a creek, Lulu was pushed into the water. A fast-moving current swept her away while she screamed Kelly's name. Shortly after, she was found dead downstream. Kelly calls Lulu his very first musical inspiration.

https://www.theroot.com/10-things-revealed-in-r-kellys-memoir-1790892149

His first single, suddenly makes sense: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uu44haDaW8

From English band, You Me at Six https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_Me_at_Six

On 3 December 2010, the band posted an announcement on their official website stating "both the band and YMAS HQ are extremely disappointed to announce that due to the inclement weather and transport issues, the two You Me at Six shows at the Edinburgh Corn Exchange this weekend will be postponed" and that "it's just not safe for the band or the attending fans to travel over to the show". You Me at Six has also made a reschedule of both the dates and an exchange fund of the tickets bought earlier.[citation needed]

On 16 April 2011, Blink-182 announced that their headlining tour would be delayed till 2012 due to the fact that they have not finished recording for the new album yet. As a result, You Me at Six will not be touring with them.

On 1 September 2011, a 30-second snippet of the track from the record "Bite My Tongue" featuring Oli Sykes was leaked on the internet as well. It was removed 30 minutes later due to infringement and copyrighted issues.

The band's next UK tours started in March 2012. The first two tour dates, which were supposed to be played in Belfast and Dublin were postponed due to Josh Franceschi contracting tonsillitis and being unable to perform. The dates were rescheduled to take place in early April.[citation needed]

marquis_de_sad

Seeing as only their singer has an individual wiki page I'm guess either he or his superfan writes these things. From his own page:

QuoteIn 2016, Josh Franceschi began to criticise the way that tickets are re-sold for extortionate prices as there were consequences for both musicians and fans. He, along with a variety of other musicians came together under the Fan Fair Alliance to tackle the touts. Franceschi spoke against the rising issue along with Ian McAndrew and Annabella Coldrick in Parliament; many MP's backed the argument, agreeing that something must be done.

Bennett Brauer

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Kermode

QuoteKermode is married to Linda Ruth Williams, a professor who lectures on film at the University of Exeter.

QuoteIn 2018, Kermode was appointed Honorary Professor in the Film Studies Department at the University of Exeter.

colacentral

1984 Eddie Murphy buddy cop film Beverly Hills Cop: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beverly_Hills_Cop

QuoteAccording to Christopher Hitchens, the British novelist and poet Kingsley Amis considered the film "a flawless masterpiece."

Ferris

From the article on churros

QuoteAnother theory is that the churro was made by Spanish shepherds, to substitute for fresh bakery goods. Churro paste was easy to make and fry in an open fire in the mountains, where shepherds spend most of their time.[2][3]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Churro

Rocket Surgery

For some reason, this run-on paragraph about the Bay of Pigs made me snort just now:

"The bay is historically important for the failed Bay of Pigs Invasion of 1961. Former Cuban president Fidel Castro owned a private island with twenty mansions, a helipad and yachts in the Bay of Pigs. The area is a site known for its diving, with an abundance of marine fauna to be found in the bay."

popcorn

Sonic Gems Collection was announced in May 2005, and was playable at the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3). It was released on August 11, 2005 in Japan, August 16, 2005 in North America, and September 30, 2005 in Europe. The PlayStation 2 version was not released in North America. Those who ordered the game through Sega's online store Sega Direct received an exclusive Sonic-themed yo-yo.

Bad Ambassador

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Lost_American_films

Some amusing titles here, such as:

The Actor and the Rube
The Adventures of Peg o' the Ring
Alias Ladyfingers
Believe Me, Xantippe
Bertie's Brainstorm

The latter in particular sounds like a Beano strip.

Ferris

Singer Robbie Williams using a V sign with palm facing himself as an insult to the observer.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/V_sign

rapid relief

the flippancy of this:

QuoteOriginal Beat lead guitarist Larry Whitman (September 27, 1955 - July 26, 1997), a devoted fan of Phil Spector died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound. Before joining The Beat, Whitman was producer, songwriter and member of L.A. pop group Needles & Pins whose only release was the Spector influenced 45 RPM single "Don't You Worry" b/w the ironically titled "I Wanna Play With Guns".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beat_(American_band)#Trivia

Bad Ambassador

QuoteMemory Banks was the name given to a comic cartoon strip created by Mark Bennington, which appeared in Whizzer and Chips and then went on to appear in Buster.

The cartoon strip was about a boy called Bernie Banks, who had a very bad memory. The name of the strip was an ironic and sarcastic take on this. Despite several tricks tried by himself and other people, he would always fail to remember something important which is what provided the main plot of each strip.

In the final issue of Buster, it was revealed that he died because he forgot to keep breathing.

madhair60

The last page of the final Buster is a tour-de-force.

the

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on January 14, 2019, 02:42:23 AM

Singer Robbie Williams using a V sign with palm facing himself as an insult to the observer Steve Furst using a Nokia 7110